Hello Ironchef!!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jellybeans01

Hello Ironchef!!

Post by jellybeans01 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:44 am

I was wondering if you were going to visit again. Your successful no s story was the most encouraging!

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:42 am

Aww, shucks, thanks jellybeans. It's nice to be remembered.

I stopped dropping in here when we went through a really tough patch with baby sleep and I was barely hanging by a thread. Then I started working again part time and stuff got really busy.

Things are a bit quieter now, and I realized I needed to get back to basics when I had a few months of out-of-routine stuff and lost track of my No-S habits. So what happened - well, all good things: my sister got married (and I did a lot of organizing / being matron of honor), I changed jobs after 6 years and went up to 3 days a week, and then the Christmas whirl was upon us before I knew it. As much fun as it all was, my eating and exercise habits went by the wayside! Just goes to show that even after a year, you can lose the thread if enough things come together even if they are all positive things. I remembered how brilliant the boards here were for support, suggestions and inspiration (just read Vicki's 5 year testimonial!).

Luckily for me enough of the No-S stuck that I've only gained 3 pounds or so. But it isn't really about weight so much, it's wanting to avoid that yucky sugar headache feeling, wanting that light, clear, satisfied feeling that I had before when I was strict about No-S. Plus I really want to model sensible eating for my son.

Anyway, that was a typical me, super-wordy reply! I know I've got a daily check in thread around here somewhere so I should revive that. Really looking forward to hearing how everyone is doing :)