Jenna's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jld141

Jenna's Check In

Post by jld141 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:30 am

I was trying to follow No S with just using Habit Cal, but I realized that I'm never going to get anywhere when I keep failing and my failures turn into "what the hell" "all or nothing" binge episodes. So I have decided to report my failures here so that I am held accountable!!!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:08 am

Welcome! Everyone here is very nice and supportive!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

eschano

Post by eschano » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:03 am

Welcome Jenna!

For me the boards make all the difference! I have periods where I sail through my NoS habits all green and I have to admit I post very little then and then I have periods where I struggle and the boards always help me to kickstart my habits again. But to be precise: it's no the board itself, it's the absolutely amazing community here and the wealth of wisdom in the threads. Even old threads help and often you can find a solution for any issue using the search tool or just asking the question here.

Wish you the best start with posting here.
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

jw

Post by jw » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:27 pm

Welcome, Jenna -- there's something powerful about hearing from so many great people who are all on the same road! Glad you decided to post --
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

jld141

Post by jld141 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:09 am

Thank you all for your responses! I'm sad to say that today was a failure...

I think the reason was that the bag of popcorn was there, and I really didn't want to study.

Lesson learned: don't buy snacks or go to the library to study.

Tomorrow is another day!

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:25 am

Hi Jenna,
I think lots of people on here don't have snacks or sweets at home during the week. If you have left-overs from the weekend it's a good idea to offload them on friends who can handle them.
It's all a learning experience - don't beat yourself up!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021