Great doco: Talk about messed up eating...

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
Bushranger

Great doco: Talk about messed up eating...

Post by Bushranger » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:45 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYRa1G9A-bA

Awesome documentary on agricultural subsidising and its effect on the food industry.

winnie96

Post by winnie96 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:32 pm

More "yikes!" information ... I'd seen refs to this series elsewhere, but finally took the time to watch it -- thanks, Bushranger for the link. Fascinating stuff, and if it's appearing on our relatively sanitized network tv, one can only imagine the additional depth of the iceberg.

Equally as disturbing as the content, to me, were the Youtube viewing statistics -- tiny, tiny numbers of views:

Part 1 = 3,696
Part 2 = 1,770
Part 3 = 2,050
Part 4 = 1,225
Part 5 = 916

One can only hope that a lot more people saw the original broadcast, or have watched it in one of its other incarnations on YouTube!

Tommy Thompson and the various spokepersons for the food industry left me aghast ... it's terrible to be so cynical, I suppose, but the maxim "Follow the Money" seems, once again, to apply here.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:52 am

From what I've read it was BIG news when it aired on ABC. A bit of a career definer for that guy, which is good I think. It made me really think about the entire chain of food production, not just the crapola we buy in the supermarket.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

I just wanted to strangle Chip Kunde (part 2 and beyond).
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."