Burgers According to Bobby Flay?

Talk about anything. Just keep it civil.
Nichole

Burgers According to Bobby Flay?

Post by Nichole » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:41 pm

I know everything is a matter of opinion, but Bobby Flay from the Food Network says that a burger mustn't have any thing added to it - simply make a paddy, cook it, and season it with salt and pepper. But you can go crazy - but not too crazy - on the toppings. According to him, once you start adding egg, bread crumbs, jalapenos, onions, you're kind of making a mini meat loaf, lol. What are all your thoughts, grillers/cookers out there? :)

Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes-and- ... index.html and a radio show I was listening to where he was being interviewed by Preston and Steve (93.3 in Philly).
"Anyone can cook." ~ Chef Gusteau, Ratatouille

Huffdogg

Post by Huffdogg » Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:17 pm

Bobby Flay is extremely overrrated IMO. He's rather a hack. Personally, I add some seasonings to my meat when I make up my burgers, and occasionally a tiny bit of minced veggies, but usually those just make the patty fall apart too easily, which is an issue with real beef patty burgers anyway. The only thing besides normal seasonings I add to my burgers before they're cooked is a little bit of egg mixed in, which just helps bind the patties together a little better so that they don't fall apart on the grill.
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:11 pm

Actually, I agree with Bobby -- that's how I was taught. I never add anything to my burgers except maybe salt and pepper.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Aug 07, 2009 2:26 pm

To someone who is new to cooking, tips from anybody is great... He suggests making a little well in the burgers so they don't get that huge bubble thing going on in the middle, not to press down, etc. All tips I've read in other places, but great tips nevertheless.

But most recipes call for adding all sorts of things to your burgers, so I thought it was interesting that he said NOT to, but to just add everything on top instead.

I am making dinner for my mom, brother and hubby on Sunday and I'll be grilling up some burgers. I'm looking forward to trying his tips.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:22 am

Some of what he suggests makes sense but other parts don't. I mean come on, no egg? I don't see the difference in putting my onions and grated carrot in the patty or just as part of the topping either. If you load your patty up with dodgy junk flavour packets and other artificial fillers then of course that's bad, but I think this guy is stating the obvious a bit. He comes off as patronising, kind of like he’s saying “Now stupid listeners, this is how a burger should really be made. What you’ve been doing for 20 years is wrong and since I'm getting airtime I must be right."

Not to mention I've read a gazillion other chefs and recipes say the exact opposite about those things he mandates are NOT to go in the burger patty. I'll take the ideas that seem useful to me, but as far as his "rules" go, forget it. :wink:

harmony

Post by harmony » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:23 pm

My family protests if I mess with their burgers. We just use straight ground beef shaped in a patty.

I have heard from many sources that when cooking meat, the less you mess with it, the juicier it will be. You handle it enough to make sure it's not sticking, but pressing down on it while cooking or turning it too many times can effect the final result. Of course, it takes a while to get it right - especially if you like your meat well-done (I hear it's not good to serve your family raw chicken :?). But, when it's done right, it does make a juicer product.

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:10 pm

I tried it his way yesterday. I think next time I'll DEFINITELY use egg to give more moisture. And some finely chopped up onions and seasoning. But with nothing, they were good, but kind of bland.

On another note, however, making the little well with my thumb did avoid them puffing up in the middle. :)

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:49 am

We are a "add nothing to the burger" family except pepper and garlic salt. We use 85% lean chuck. Anything leaner than that it's too dry.

Bushranger

Post by Bushranger » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:12 am

Blithe Morning wrote:We are a "add nothing to the burger" family except pepper and garlic salt. We use 85% lean chuck. Anything leaner than that it's too dry.
Indeed. One big problem with these lean beef burgers is a lack of fat to bind the patty. Going too lean (which is the trend these days) and not adding anything, such as egg, is just asking for a crumbling patty.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:25 am

Generally speaking, I like a fatty patty with some grated onion and lots of salt and pepper.

The burgers we get from our farm share are very lean, though, and so I mix in some oil as well.

We Germans like Frikadellen, so "meatloaf" is no insult.

Reinhard

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:11 am

I like a little A1 sauce mixed into the meat sometimes.
It's better to add toppings after it's done, other than spice I think.
And it's nice to have a really good fresh roll, and not a generic packaged hamburger bunl.
Oh and nice if it's a bit rare inside! :D
Good luck Nichole! :wink:
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:13 am

Bushranger wrote:He comes off as patronising, kind of like he’s saying “Now stupid listeners, this is how a burger should really be made. What you’ve been doing for 20 years is wrong and since I'm getting airtime I must be right."
Hahahah :P
There is no Wisdom greater than Kindness

Nichole

Post by Nichole » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:11 pm

I bought 80/20 burgers... Flay said anything less than that and there's not much taste to it, or they're too dry. That I definitely agree with.

Also, I have this cool thing from my bridal shower that helps press the perfectly shaped burgers. I love it! What a cool kitchen tool. Here it is, too:

http://order.tupperware.com/coe/app/tup ... 0049001547

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:45 pm

Here's something I discovered serendipitously: that a scant half cup of ground beef makes a quarter pound. So, I buy ground beef on sale in 3lb packs and scoop it out in half cup measures on a cookie sheet. I pop it into the freezer for about 20 minutes (or longer if I forget) :oops: then move it to a freezer safe container to be tucked away in the big freezer down stairs. That way, I can take out as many burger chunks as I need for any given meal. Since there are only three of us at home and not always that many for dinner, I like the flexibility.

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:01 am

I shall plump firmly for the option that everyone is right and it's a matter of taste. Also, the quantity of fat in the meat affects its binding qualities, so egg might be necessary.

The best variation I've had involves seasoning the beef slightly and adding egg to bind if the meat won't do so itself. Make two very thin patties and sandwich between them a slice of blue cheese. Make sure you seal the edges well to prevent the cheese escaping, then cook as you would a normal burger. Serve in a toasted pita bread, with watercress or rocket salad.

This obviously doesn't work if you don't like blue cheese, so add a good strong cheddar instead, possibly infused with chilli and/or garlic, like this one.
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Sep 18, 2009 5:09 pm

I am in the 'just meat' camp. It has never even occurred to me to make burgers with eggs or other things - if that's the flavour I'm going for, I'll make a meatloaf. :)

The best thing I ever did for my burgers was ditch unhealthy and tasteless low-fat eating ideas. I go with 80/20 (which isn't that easy to get with grassfed meat) and make 'em big enough to fill the bun - which isn't a bun at all, but a hunk of ciabatta bread. I salt it with plenty of sea salt - and add a slice of red onion.

Ahhhhh..

ItsTime2Shine

Post by ItsTime2Shine » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:38 pm

I prefer my hamburgers simple ;)

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:49 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:Here's something I discovered serendipitously: that a scant half cup of ground beef makes a quarter pound. So, I buy ground beef on sale in 3lb packs and scoop it out in half cup measures on a cookie sheet. I pop it into the freezer for about 20 minutes (or longer if I forget) :oops: then move it to a freezer safe container to be tucked away in the big freezer down stairs. That way, I can take out as many burger chunks as I need for any given meal. Since there are only three of us at home and not always that many for dinner, I like the flexibility.
Blithe Morning, you are a genius and I steal your idea.

*runs away cackling madly. MIINNNEEE! I HAVE THE SECRET*
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

Dandelion

Post by Dandelion » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:53 pm

My husband always makes the burgers. There are three of us, which means out of a pound of meat, there is always one extra - that one goes into a container in the freezer for another day. Sometimes it gets cooked as a ' lunch for one' and sometimes we wait til it has enough friends for a meal :)