NoS and Binge Eating Disorder

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

crazymadsnail

NoS and Binge Eating Disorder

Post by crazymadsnail » Tue May 24, 2011 1:33 pm

I used to have binge-eating disorder until I found NoS. I think the number one thing that NoS accomplishes that NO other diet does is it helps you stop obsessing over food. I believe this, besides many others, is a big reason snacking and dieting are so bad for people.

INTERESTING NOTE: almost every binge-eating book you can buy written by an actual doctor recommends only eating at certain times of day (no snacking), limiting how long you can eat (no seconds), and removing trigger foods (no sweets). The Leptin diet is another diet that follows the same basic principles.

Because of my disorder, I simply could not allow myself full S-days because they triggered severe binges. My mod for my binge-eating disorder is I have a special dessert every sunday after dinner and I only have full S days on holidays/special occasions. It works for me and I don't feel deprived because I truly allow myself to pile up my one plate whenever I really want to.

I've lost 10 pounds since January, but really when it comes to binging disorder just being abstinent from binging is the biggest accomplishment for me.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue May 24, 2011 1:48 pm

Wow. That's an amazing testimony as binge eating is quite serious.

BrightAngel

Re: NoS and Binge Eating Disorder

Post by BrightAngel » Tue May 24, 2011 2:03 pm

invisiblprincess wrote:I've lost 10 pounds since January,
but really when it comes to binging disorder
just being abstinent from binging is the biggest accomplishment for me.
Congratulations on your success.
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

kariev34

Post by kariev34 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:38 pm

Thank you so much for posting this! I have been struggling with binge eating disorder for the past 10 years. I'm by no means overweight but I want to stop the food obsession and I think no S is the answer for me. I'm about to post a vent on the message bored about a binge I just had on sunday. I thank you for posting this topic and its good see that this type of disorder can be helped with no S.

Becoming

Post by Becoming » Tue May 24, 2011 8:42 pm

This post has come at just the right time for me! After some initial success controlling my binging with No-S, 'life' intervened and I reverted to old behaviour in a big way (6 kgs of old behaviour!). I am now coming out of the fog and want to get back into No-S, because it's how I want to live the rest of my life. Thanks for reminding me. :)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 pm

Although you sound as if you have this licked, (don't say it) I'm glad you've brought this up. I've wanted to have a thread for those who consider themselves bingers. (Don't know if this will be it; there are a couple of other recent ones that might quality, one of which is ongoing support for S days. )I haven't controlled it as much as you have but it is getting better. You've had a good run, just do be careful as flareups can happen. I have a theory that bingers may end up giving up too soon because of S days. I'm convinced No S is still their best bet. Fewer eating events per day means less time to worry about it.

However, most anti-binge materials I see say for the person to eat meals and snacks so that they don't get too hungry. That actally may not be bad advice to start, but I think they should have a tapering off schedule. I'm pretty sure the longer gaps between meals contributes to the fact that it's just about impossible to binge on the amounts I used to. I think the person has to learn to tolerate hunger. Otherwise, she'll be chained to food still.

Congrats on your success since January! and spread the word.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

crazymadsnail

Binge Disorder may need professional help

Post by crazymadsnail » Sun May 29, 2011 3:58 pm

"WARNING: one poster to the bulletin board warns that a diet like No S might be open to abuse by people with eating disorders. Please tread carefully and consult your doctor if you think you might fall into that category." - Reinhard

I am a big believer in Vanilla NoS and I actually did it for 2 months BEFORE making my mods that worked for me since January.

What I did not make clear is I have a therapist that helped me work through and modify the NoSdiet because it was working for me, but I was still severely binging on the weekends. I want to make it clear - I still take S days, I just use special mods to prevent binging that I created with the help of a medical professional.

Like many have said, binge eating disorder is something different and delicate. Reinhard has created a wonderful eating plan and it IS important to have those relaxation S days. But people with full blown binge eating disorder simply MAY need extra help to not binge on the weekend as Reinhard's plan recommends.

And yes, like any disorder, I will always be at risk of relapsing.

Skelton

Post by Skelton » Thu Sep 15, 2016 1:57 pm

I see this thread was started way back in 2011 but it's been bumped today by a first time poster who may be a spammer. (I'm not taking a chance and clicking on their link to check).

I'm glad to see it. I have issues with food and while I believe that No S is the most sane plan out there, I still struggle, mostly when I get diet head on and find myself led to the next over hyped diet plan! I've been feeling a ot of pressure to lose weight and lost it fast over the past few months, and I know from experience that's something that triggers my food issues.
I'm just back from yet another excursion to diet land, this one was a currently very popular reduced carb plan. I lasted half a day on it. :oops:

Back to No S yet again. Over the years that I've been here, I've read many posts here, at the daily check-in board, and in the testimonials section from people who had issues and for whom No S has been the only thing that's helped them. That's one of the reasons I keep coming back.
"We stop looking for the better diet and start looking for a better life." pangelsue

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:36 pm

BED (or a milder version) was what brought me to No S. I've had some other problems that I think have led me to stumble with my habits in the last several months, but this is still the foundation while I figure things out, even if I fail on some days. And I've pretty much kept off most of the weight I've lost, so it's never really returned to its former glory.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Lozy

Post by Lozy » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:53 pm

I suffer from binge eating disorder and my health is being compromised because of it. I am feeling disillusioned by years of obsessing over weight and gaining and losing 8 stone! I was pointed in the direction of this forum and reading some of the posts I feel I have finally found what I have been looking for. I am worried, but am daring to hope that this could work for me.

naeman

Re: NoS and Binge Eating Disorder

Post by naeman » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:22 pm

crazymadsnail wrote: Because of my disorder, I simply could not allow myself full S-days because they triggered severe binges. My mod for my binge-eating disorder is I have a special dessert every sunday after dinner and I only have full S days on holidays/special occasions. It works for me and I don't feel deprived because I truly allow myself to pile up my one plate whenever I really want to.
I really like your mod! I struggle with binging on sweets on the weekend, and I think I'll try your mod this weekend and see how it goes. More than anything else, I want to learn how to curb my binging, and this could be a good idea!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:03 pm

I have to say that I honestly could not face limiting my sweets on the weekends and S days were wild a LONG time. I never interpreted that to mean I was failing because five no-sweet days a week was like a miracle. I never would have lasted on one dessert a week, just like I wouldn't have lasted on what I routinely eat for meals now, but the fact that it sounds doable to you is a good sign! Go for it.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:38 am

I saw an ad in a magazine, I do not remember which one, but former tennis star Monica Seles was the pitch. In the ad she claims to have Binge Eating Disorder. I know a book was not being peddled so it must have been a med. If it was a med it probably would give me diarrhea. So, I'll stick with No S.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

Lozy

Post by Lozy » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:31 pm

I only started on Wednesday and have struggled immensely with hunger, but I have kept to the rules and that's a biggie for me, as losing control has been one of the hardest things to cope with having BED. So a big challenge today, on my first S day I have just got back from a party with lots of buffet food. My mind was confused as to what to think...this would normally be 'bad' food and yet this diet doesn't dictate what is good and bad and also today I have free reign on how much to have, which is a nightmare with the Binge eating, I kept thinking, yes you can have more, eat it EAT IT, my other voice was saying, but you don't really need it do you and then I was thinking of quotes from the book that you should use your S days, yet I am worried about losing control. So a whole lot of opinions whirring around in my head. I had two small plates of 'bad' food which was about the same as 1 plate at home and had no sweets so even though I feel like I've had an S day, I'm not sure if I have. Sorry for all the rambling. Despite all the confusion, I am pleased, pleased that I didn't eat everything in sight, I'm sure last wk I would have, like I was never going to eat again. Thanks for listening!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:01 pm

As a pretty much recovered compulsive overeater/binger , I have to say I'm on the side of thinking that there is value in NOT getting so stressed out at the idea that you might binge. A binge on an S day is not a sign that you will always binge on an S day or that you are a terrible person. Unless you have an actual health condition, it is NOT the same as alcohol or drugs. Besides, most recovered substance abusers do not achieve quitting cold turkey. Even the most addicted have relapses that they then recover from because it becomes clearer and clearer that the behavior is not something they are willing to do anymore.

Paradoxically, I know that a person can also decide that she will absolutely not binge again and will do anything it takes not to do it. She will put up with the desires no matter how strong they are. But most people don't have that conviction. For those who don't have that sustained conviction, phasing out the behavior has been shown to be possible, and that kind of recovery is much more typical.
Last edited by oolala53 on Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Lozy

Post by Lozy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:41 pm

Thanks ohlala. I had a good weekend and I'm feeling positive. That is a huge deal as I've been so down for ages.
I either have total willpower or none, never mastered moderation but this is what I need to do in order for any weight loss to be permanent.

Lozy

Post by Lozy » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:38 pm

I have lost 7lbs on my first week. I'm delighted! Mostly because I have stick at the diet and not binged at all and felt positive about it. A good day 😀

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:26 pm

So you got that first water drop out of the way. That will still fluctuate, but it would even if you were dieting with not much leeway to adjust things without misery.

Not all problem drinkers have to be abstinent, at least not from the beginning. Contrary to popular belief, most do eventually drink moderately socially. But it does take effort and persistence. It's that or...

Get through hump day!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:10 am

Someone commented today on the article I shared about binge eating disorder ,asking where to read more about our discussion. I'm bumping this up so they can see it. Love that we have this board to talk about this stuff with people who understand. Nobody in my real life knows about my struggles with food obsession. Eating three meals a day 7 days a week but letting myself have a dessert with dinner is really helping. Hoping to continue this way..... Feeling good and not focusing on weight loss.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:43 am

What happened to Lozy? for that matter, I wonder what happened to the original poster from back in 2011. She posted only 5 times. Was she cured or did the honeymoon end and she didn't know how to stay married? :wink:

MM, it's funny how things go. I'm glad your mod is working. I know someone else uses it, too. But I also know I've seen many say they thought it would help and a little bit led to the rest of the night turning into an S. It made them want more and wanting was all it took.

May I ask if you ever want food or sweets in between meals, or want more dessert but just ignore the desire? Or do you just never want food unless it's "allowed" now?
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

MaggieMae

Post by MaggieMae » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:47 am

I've noticed my desire for sweets has decreased quite a bit. Soda is really the sweet that I desire. It's even gotten to where when I do buy a candy bar , if I'm not truly enjoying it I will eat half and throw the rest away. I think my tastes have changed.... I only want to use my dessert for something truly yummy.
I always want food between lunch and dinner. That's my hard time of day. I truly have to drink a lot of water or caloric beverage and white knuckle it on a lot of afternoons. I've always been good at passing on evening snacks. I brush my teeth with my 4 year old and don't want to eat after that!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:33 am

I don't think I have ever thrown away half a candy bar because I didn't want the rest. Yay for you!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Lady Brachiosaur

Post by Lady Brachiosaur » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:15 pm

I have to say, while I haven't been successful at avoiding the chocolate and biscuits every day so far, I have noticed when I'm jonesing for a sweet snack but I can't actually pinpoint what I want to eat. This is making me think that I'm only wanting it for the habit rather than for the content. I don't have a diagnosis of BED but an eating disorder charity I had an appointment with did say that if I leave my habits unchecked, it could well develop that way, so any progress is in the right direction at this stage

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:15 pm

I think that's good sleuthing. Most of the time these days, if I don't feel very clearly drawn to a specific sumptuous-no sweet- food, I opt for quite simple meals. I'll probably have another chance at a later time to eat it, and why insist when it's doubtful what I really need? I eat all kinds of foods, but I would never insist that my body's cravings for flour and sugar signify any nutritional need.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23