Dried Fruit

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Laff

Dried Fruit

Post by Laff » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:07 am

Hi! I have been lurking for a couple of months but have not posted until now. I nearly got through the first 21 days and then I got the flu that lasted into the Christmas season. Yup, I was a gonner after that. I had lost minimal weight, if any, but felt in control and liked that. I started back again this past Monday. As many people post, the S days are more of a problem than the NoS ones. That lack of control rears its evil head. However, I am trying hard this weekend to have treats and not go nuts.

:?: My question to you is regarding dried fruits. I know that they are high sugar. I find prunes very useful in my daily intake and wonder if they are acceptable. I eat about 4-6 small to medium prunes a day. This is not huge in the scheme of things but am wondering if I should save them for S days.
Gotta smile. Laff

Achieving begins with believing!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:03 am

Please eat your prunes! Nobody ever got fat from eating prunes!!!

Just include them as part of your meals, then there is no problem.
C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 3:36 pm

Just keep in mind too that they are dried whole fruit...
I might limit them to a few less than six but basically, I agree with Carolejo...

This may be a question for Peetie and the California Prune Council!!! :lol:

Keep it up!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

peetie

Post by peetie » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:01 pm

Deb, Thank you for bowing to my expertise! Yes, prunes are still a fruit....dried plums to be exact. So the amount you describe is reasonable.
Anything to excess is not a good thing. Eating 5 grapefruit in one sitting doesn't sound healthy to me, but it's a very healthy fruit in it's prope time, are due to the fact we have gotten so far away from normal eating with all the bingeing and dieting we have done through the years. I ar place.

I think some of these questions we pose, and I still have them from time to time, are from becoming so disengaged from our bodies and our true hungers due to years of dieting and bingeing. We don't know what normal is anymore.

That's why this sensible structure of NoS is such a wonderful thing. It gets us rehooked up to our hunger and satiety signals again, and we actually can get in tune with what is normal eating again.

We prune eaters are rather long winded. Deb....don't even go there!!!

Peetie

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:10 pm

Wind? :shock: LOL..

There's a thread on the dried fruit issue somewhere else too...
I think Reinhard may have chimed in on that one on the "official" NoS standpoint of what's borderline and what's an S...

If I had a box of prunes now, I could be long winded too!!!
Wait.. I am already!!!
LOL..
Thanks Prunie Peetie!
Have a great and fibrous day!
Peace and Prunes,
8) Deb

peetie

Post by peetie » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:21 pm

I don't know what happened with my previous post....looks like I have gotten some sort of brain damage from too much dried fruit, but one of my paragraphs is rather gobbeldeegookey. Not my usual brilliant, articulate self. (Don't throw prunes, Deb)

Anyway, yes, I do remember that thread too, Deb, and I think it was about moderation. A theme we go back to over and over, we all or nothing types.

Peetie

Laff

Post by Laff » Sun Jan 15, 2006 5:36 pm

Thanks ladies! I thank you and my intestines thank you! It also gave me a nice chuckle. Have a wonderful day.
Gotta smile. Laff

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:09 pm

I am a prune/dried plum devotee myself.
4 or 6 sounds like a perfectly moderate amount.
I know the recommended serving size on my container is 5 dried plums for a total of 100 calories.
I like to have 10 almonds and 5 plums as a mini meal.

I have a coworker who works out every day and really watches his diet.
I know some coworkers would tease him about eating them but I could over hear his arguments about the nutrition in them.
I started eating them and became hooked. That is actually how I started eating fruit again (I know, I know it's dried fruit but eventually I started to eat fresh fruit).
I really believe they are nutrient packed powerhouses and so much better than "energy" bars.

Kevin

Dried prunes

Post by Kevin » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:55 pm

I doubt there is a problem with eating two dried prunes with each meal.

Are you snacking on them between meals? That, I would think, is a violation of No-S.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

Laff

Post by Laff » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:00 am

No snacking going on here. Once the snacking begins it is over for me! That is why the S days are a bit of a problem but I am working at that too.
How nice that so many folks see the benefits of prunes. Besides being good for you they are yummy. They aren't chocolate but they are good. :)
Gotta smile. Laff