Does it work ?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Liza

Does it work ?

Post by Liza » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:45 pm

Has anyone lost a significant amount of weight following this plan ?

navin

Post by navin » Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:47 pm

26 lbs and counting. :wink:
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

schmiddtty

Post by schmiddtty » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:23 am

3 pounds after 14 PAINLESS days, which means I have every intention of continuing. That's significant!! MJ

silverfish

Post by silverfish » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:32 am

24 pounds (or thereabouts) since mid-2005 and managed not to put anything on over Christmas (despite a week or two on half-observance :)

That's without extra exercise (beyond what it takes to get to work).

Kathleen.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:37 am

Between 20 and 30 over 16 months.. Not entirely sure because I smashed my scale in the beginning and it wasn't working too well anyway!
LOL..
I'm down about three pants sizes since I started...

Good luck!
NoS works but you have to be patient and you must exercise too..

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:46 am

I started No-S last year, casually in April and vigorously in June; I don't know exactly what my starting weight was but my best guess is that I'm down 40 or 50 pounds since then.

To more directly address your question: "does it work," I would say yes, because it's simple and sustainable.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

Kevin

weight loss...

Post by Kevin » Tue Jan 17, 2006 7:08 pm

20 pounds since May. Actually, more, but since I started serious bodyweight training, I've put about 5 pounds back on my shoulders, but that's very different weight.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

mstevens

Post by mstevens » Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:09 pm

I haven't lost a significant amount of weight yet, but I'm eating better and much less, which seems like a win to me.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:26 pm

I had already lost all my excess weight when I began no-s, so I am just here for maintenance. Yes, it works for that, too, and pretty effortlessly, once the no-s habits are formed. Most diets will take off the weight, but how many will keep it off? And how many diets are endurable over the long haul? I am very pleased with No-S! :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:26 am

Hi Liza,

I guess I don't really count, but I'm still down over 40 pounds as I mention on the home page. It's been almost 4 years now, no yoyoing. There's no longer much willpower involved. It's 95% habit.

The beginning can be tough, though. Brace yourself for a few false starts.

Reinhard

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:20 am

I've lost about 15 Lb since July. No going back up, no Yo-Yos and I feel confident that I can do this for the rest of my life and continue to eat better, be fitter and healthier.

YES. It works. It really works. AND it doesn't just 'work' whilst you're losing the weight, it works for the rest of your life too.

There are faster ways to lose weight out there - but it's a waste of time cos you end up putting it all back on again anyway, so what's the point of that?

I'm sticking with NoS FOR THE REST OF MY LIFE.

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:24 pm

I guess I don't really count, but I'm still down over 40 pounds as I mention on the home page. It's been almost 4 years now, no yoyoing. There's no longer much willpower involved. It's 95% habit.

The beginning can be tough, though. Brace yourself for a few false starts.

Reinhard
I don't know how you can say this Reinhard? :shock:
Your creation and success on NoS is the reason we are all here....

YOU COUNT! :lol:

I don't know if you saw this post on my thread, but the chiro that I work with had lost around thirty pounds, very quickly.. like over four months and the way he did it was by making severe limits on when he ate.. Like stop eating at six o'clock or something.. Probably did other stuff like restricting carbs or something too... But 16 months later, while he assumed that NOS wouldn't work, except as a maintenence way of eating, I'm down, three pants sizes and he has gained all that weight he lost back again... I have never regained more than one or two pounds and I'm only doing this with about 75% adherence to the rules verbatim...

If it takes me a bit more time to get down to a skinny me, then I don't care.. I know I'll never gain any of it back!
Woo hoo!!!

Liza...
The proof is in the pudding...
Just try it for a few months... You have nothing to lose!
(Except bad habits and weight)
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:12 pm

Does it work? YES!

12 pounds since November and still losing. Only about a pound a week but they're not coming back. It can be the easiest thing in the world to do , but there are times when it's almost frustratingly difficult. I can tell you it's worth it -- I've never before had anyone ask me if I'd lost weight without wanting a favor. :-) People are starting to notice and they're amazed when I tell them that I'm still eating what I used to eat, just less of it.

A side note: Congratulations to all of you who've posted here before me -- you should all be very proud of yourselves!
"I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean, S-M-A-R-T! I am so smart!"

piratejenny

Maintaining at 115 lbs

Post by piratejenny » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:38 pm

I'm not overweight, but I stick to No S for weight maintenance. It's kept me to about 115 pounds for the past 2-3 years. I am 29 years old, 5 foot 4. I do not belong to a gym, but I walk at least 30 minutes each day, and a couple times a week I do some sit-ups/leg lifts/tricep-dips at home while watching TV.

I don't always follow No S to the letter (sweet tooth + mind is willing but flesh is weak). Sometimes I'll have a few "bad" weeks, after which I can tell I've put on 2-3 pounds. At that point, I return to No S, and the weight drops right back off. I know I shouldn't "yo-yo" like this, even if it is only a few pounds - I'm striving to get better and make No S a permanent habit.

Good luck to you!
Jen

SunnyCalifornia

Post by SunnyCalifornia » Sat Jan 21, 2006 1:41 am

Many years ago, I was living with a French boyfriend and lost loads of weight. My friends could not believe their eyes.

I have always wondered how that happened. Now I REALIZE that it was effortless because he did all the cooking - FRENCH style. It's all about quality not quantity. No gimicks, just delicious meals. Not huge plates. NO snacks and very rarely did he prepare sweets.

Now - many years later, many pounds heavier (living in the US) and breastfeeding my first child, I believe that this non-dieting, slow and sustainable, is for me.

A big piece of the jigsaw has just fallen into place.