GINA'S (on the way) daily ck-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

on my way

GINA'S (on the way) daily ck-in

Post by on my way » Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:16 pm

Starting my daily check-in on my DAY 5. No cheating thus far, pertty good for a person with NO willpower. Maybe... this is my turning point.... no, let me restate that... This IS my turning point !!!
EVERYDAY IS A NEW DAY
GINA

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:22 am

Good for you Gina!
Sometimes the hardest thing to do is simply to start something new and different...
Now that you have turned yourself around, don't turn back!!!!!!!!

Congrats on not grabbing junk in the supermarket... That will also get easier with time! Keep making good, conscious choices!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:55 am

Nice one, Gina!

Welcome to the Daily Check in. 8)

C.
CaroleJo

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:03 pm

Hi, Gina...glad you've joined us! I'll look forward to reading you daily check-in posts.

on my way

Post by on my way » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:12 am

:P Day 6 and still going strong. I started drinking tea's and I find that to be my "comfort". I do add a splenda, but it seems to be working for me.
I'm really surprised in myself, I am doing so much better than I thought I'd be doing. By now I thought I'd be complaining of hunger and CHOCOLATE cravings. Yes I want chocolate but, for some odd reason I'm content???? It's great.
Last edited by on my way on Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
EVERYDAY IS A NEW DAY
GINA

on my way

DAY 8

Post by on my way » Mon Dec 26, 2005 2:22 am

My first full- weekend, and I am doing good. I didn't over do it, yet I was able to have something yummy and not eat the house out! This is so cool. I'm telling all my friends about this diet and site. Believe me if I can do this, anyone can. I haven't fallen yet, doen't mean I won't, but the No S diet makes it alot easier than doing this by yourself, as I've found out. :P I'm looking forward to the new week and hoping we all have added strenght!!!
EVERYDAY IS A NEW DAY
GINA

on my way

opps

Post by on my way » Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:31 am

:roll:
It's GINA checking-in. I regret (somewhat) what I did tonight. I had oatmeal for breakfast, didn't have time for lunch, but...then we went to Margritas for supper...ate good but had a straw/ban margrita :? This was the 1st time I let myself slip. I would normally say, that's it, I can't do this and throw my arms up and QUIT !! But, I don't feel that way at all. After reading many others logs I'm not alone and I didn't really do to bad of an opps. After all, I was eatting bags of chocolate at a sitting before. So, tomorrow is going to be a new day.
EVERYDAY IS A NEW DAY
GINA

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:50 am

Good attitude Gina!!!
One slip a week was about my success rate (and pretty much still is) but NoS still worked for me, because I never let myself just completely throw in the towel... Good for you on forgiving yourself...
The road to success is paved with setbacks.. It's impossible to be perfect all the time, so just embrace those setbacks as "Where you are now" on your road, and not "Where you were" and keep moving on!
Not eating bags of chocolate is a major acchievement, so keep being proud of that!!!
You will love how you feel when you know you have really stuck with this and you see yourself change in the long run! Each time you overcome and transform an old bad habit, you will feel so much happiness and pride, because, you are doing it all yourself! Enjoy each and every "I didn't eat chocolate by the bags" moment..
For me I enjoy being able to walk through the supermarket and not be drawn to everything that looks like an Entemanns box or the freezer section... I know I can have that on S days and it really helps to resist during the N week..

Keep it up!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

on my way

Post by on my way » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:41 am

:) Doing well... today I posted a new post instead of reply....oh well
,oops
Hope all of us can get closer to our long term goals this year...I'm tring anyways !!!
EVERYDAY IS A NEW DAY
GINA

on my way

Good day/ Bad day

Post by on my way » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:46 am

Me again; :wink:
Yesterday I found my hubby's stash/chocolate hiding place. I could not resist. Bad day.
Today is the good day. Now that he's found a new hiding spot, I've done much better today !!!
I try to think of how people ate in Bible times or the Indians, way back when, they didn't snack all the time or die if they didn't get a sweet or two. They're lives were simple, and I'm tring to simplify my life somewhat as well. I think of people who don't have food on the table, :cry: and then I feel better about my 3 meals a day. :)
As I aways say ONE DAY AT A TIME
EVERYDAY IS A NEW DAY
GINA

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:50 am

Hi Gina!
Not too many people can resist the tempting call of chocolate!
I can't....

We only buy candy on S days...
Can you ask your dear hubby if he wouldn't mind keeping the No sweets rule with you during the week?
I'm sure he will help you if you ask!

You are important enough to expect his support...
Yes I know he's trying a bit, by hiding it, but that's not good enough...
Unless he puts it in the trunk of his car or something weird, you will try to seek it out! LOL...

Meanwhile, if you just both keep "NoS Kosher" in the home on N days, you can look forward to a big hunk of chocolate on the weekend!
Carrot and stick..
It works!

You have a winning attitude! That will get you where you need to go..
Love,
8) Deb

on my way

Post by on my way » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:02 am

:) Friday 1-6-06
Did well today, but am looking forward to my S day. I even bought a danish for tomorrow morning !!! I never was able to hold back from eatting it when I bought it, but, now I can leave it there for tomorrow, that really feels good. This is the first time EVER I've known to have will power. All thanks to the NO S DIET...THANK YOU !!!
EVERYDAY IS A NEW DAY
GINA

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:19 am

This is the first time EVER I've known to have will power. All thanks to the NO S DIET...THANK YOU !!!
Good for you!!!!!
Enjoy your weekend Gina!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:34 am

For a person who has no willpower, it sounds like you might actually have some! Enjoy the weekend. Think of something especially nice to reward yourself. Every day you stick with it you build more willpower and better habits so even a little willpower goes farther.

on my way

Feeling Bla

Post by on my way » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:25 am

Just not up to snuf today. Although I did do well with my meals.
EVERYDAY IS A NEW DAY
GINA

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:43 am

Oh well Gina... Don't get discouraged...
Remember your quote!

Tomorrow is a new day!!!
Have a lovely evening :)

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

on my way

Good weekend but ready for my 5 days of self-control

Post by on my way » Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:54 am

I haven't been here in a few days. Just BUSY,busy ,busy. My Dr. told me today to slow down, and learn to say NO. Easy to say!! Walk in my shoes first!!
I am doing okay during the week, last week I slipped a little, but went back on track right away. I'm ready this week to give it my all, but I still haven't did anything with the exercising yet. I know this is so important, so why is it so hard to get motived?? It is even free!!
I wanted everyone to know how much I appricate the respones, it's nice I can go somewhere and talk to people openly about my diet problems. Hope everyone had a good day, and have a even better tomorrow!!!
EVERYDAY IS A NEW DAY
GINA

on my way

Post by on my way » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:54 am

I bought a brownie and ate it to. Bad girl.
EVERYDAY IS A NEW DAY
GINA

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:14 am

Hi Gina,

Well, that's a pretty clear slip up. But don't beat yourself up. Bounce right back. It takes most people (even those with some willpower) a few false starts to get this right. Think about it this way: even now, at a low, right after a slip up, you're only a few weeks a way from building a lifelong habit. That's not a long time.

Reinhard

on my way

I fell off the wagon

Post by on my way » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:42 am

:( Can you believe it, I was way past my 21 days and I slipped and never looked back !!?!! I don't know what got into to me, I guess just stress, and food has been my comfort for so long I just slipped back into that mode. BUT I know I can do this, so I have to come back to my senses.
I feel so guilty ;that I haven't posted in some time. Maybe not as much guilty as ashamed. I hate being a failure. It's okay, I'll get over it.
EVERYDAY IS A NEW DAY
GINA

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:38 am

Hi Gina,

I don't know for sure what the rest will say (I think they'll agree with me though 8) ) but this doesn't sound like a failure AT ALL to me!!

You cruised right up and through 21 straight days of eating well before you hit a major block...? Wow! If you've managed more than 23 days on habit, you've managed longer than I ever have! :) And now you've come back to be accountable to everyone - and, more importantly YOURSELF. That last bit takes a lot of courage and a sizable amount of commitment. As I keep telling people, sometimes the hardest thing to do of all is just to show up.

This is not about being perfect. We're all human. We stuff it all up sometimes... more often than we'd like :wink: . You old habits are strong and powerful, and it'll take more than a few shots at it to break them for real and replace them with newer, healthier NoS ones. In the meantime, you learned that you can do this for an extended period of time - longer than 3 weeks at a stretch - so, if that's possible, you might just be able to do this forever too, most of the time at least! :)

In the meantime, give yourself a big hug and a pat on the back cos you realised what was happening and came back for another shot at it. It's just another part of the learning process. Forgive yourself and stop feeling ashamed. You're back here, right?

Hang in there. You may feel a bit bruised and battered, but you're not out for the count yet :D

C.
CaroleJo