Drive those Fenceposts!

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Ariel King

Drive those Fenceposts!

Post by Ariel King » Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:16 pm

I just wanted to say I tried driving fenceposts for the first time last night and I LOVE that move!! WAY more fun than chopping wood. And talk about a workout for the back and abs. My back/shoulder muscles are actually sore today. I just did 25 on each side, but felt like I could have done more. Any caveats from someone who's done this move a lot (e.g. Reinhard :wink: )? I know it should be done in a controlled fashion, but aside from that, does it pose any risks to the back if done too much? I've never had back trouble, so I should probably just use the old standby advice: stop immediately if anything hurts and take a break from the move.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:05 am

Ariel, you ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!Driving fence posts is great!
I love the Fireman, and Hoist the sack, the best! :D
Keep that flame a burning!
Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:30 am

Driving fenceposts is a fun move, but like the fireman and chop the tree, it's twisty with the back, which is what makes it more fun and more effective, but also (as you suspect) more dangerous -- so do be careful.

There's a simple way to reduce the danger and you know it but it's good to hear and repeat it like a mantra: go slow. Go slow in general, but go particularly slow with new moves, and even slower with new moves like this that you suspect may have some issues. Even if you feel like superman/wonderwoman, that you could do another hundred reps, remember that you'll never know quite how hard it is until the next day.

Also, be extra vigilent about taking that next day off if something hurts. You're hitting new muscles, and if they need a break, you better give it to them, or they'll go on strike. Don't be depressed if this happens, feel smart. By listening and responding to your body you're sparing yourself injury and saving a workout that you love.

Ariel King

Post by Ariel King » Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:11 pm

Thanks Deb and Reinhard! R, your advice is right on. I must admit I did the fenceposts again yesterday and while nothing feels injured, the back/shoulder muscles are even more sore now. I'll leave that move out of my routine for the next couple days, and do less reps the next time I do it, just to be safe. Regardless, it's a great move. Off the subject, I'm pleased to say that churning butter, which has always been the bane of my workout, is finally getting easier. Progress rocks! :D