New shovglover? shogloer? shoogooer?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Pete

New shovglover? shogloer? shoogooer?

Post by Pete » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:38 am

Recruit Pete, reporting for duty with the Shovelglovers!

Anyhoo, stumbled across this site via a torturously tangled web of links, but I'm here in one piece!

I went out and picked up an 8lb hammer today, was going to go with something larger but decided to start slowly. I have an arseload of problems with my back, no need to exacerbate the issue! :)

One thing I should mention, you loverly americans have a much cheaper time of it with regards to purchasing sledges. I cruised by two hardware stores, the cheapest hammer I could find was an 8lb on for $46. A 16lb one was $78!$%!^

Ended up finding mine at a camping store for $30, what a difference!

So anyhoo, here I am, I'm itching to start tomorrow morning, I tells ya.

Of course, I need to clean a space in my room, can't have my housemates laughing at me just yet. So I'll be fit _and_ organised, bonus :D
Last edited by Pete on Thu May 16, 2013 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:31 am

Hi Pete, That's great news that you decided to give this a try!

Hope you get into the swing of things gently though - it's tough when you're starting out.

Have fun with your new 'toy'!

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:12 am

One thing I should mention, you loverly americans have a much cheaper time of it with regards to purchasing sledges. I cruised by two hardware stores, the cheapest hammer I could find was an 8lb on for $46. A 16lb one was $78!$%!^
Yeowch!!!!

Must be the shipping handling and customs fees!

That's okay.. Yer set now Pete...
Don't hurt your back!
Hey... I sometimes even used the sg for back extensions...
As long as you keep the hammer within your space in front of you, and don't twist as you put the weight off to the side, you should be fine with an 8 lb one.. That's pretty light...
Most importantly, watch your body mechanics and not go too frantic and fast... Expect your forearms and biceps to get a really good thrashing... :D

"At ease!"......

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

That guy

Post by That guy » Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:49 pm

Welcome!

Watch the overhead height, especially on the chopping motions :D

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:19 pm

Welcome, Pete.

Those prices (USD?) are crazy... you'd think with China being right next door practically things would be cheaper :wink:

Shovelglove has been great for my back, but I've always had a good back. Just start slow and abide by the red all caps warnings on the home page.

Keep us posted,

Reinhard

Pete

Post by Pete » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:54 am

AUD prices on that stuff reinhard

it's been a few days now and I'm still going, so thats a good sign I suppose.

It's kinda odd, the one move I'm thinking about dropping is shovelling, it just doesn't seem to do anything for me. Not sure what to replace it with though?

so, yeah, so far so good!

david

Post by david » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:42 pm

Pete,

I have found that I can change the effect of shoveling depending on angles, speed, etc.

One that I like to do for just 10 or 20 repetitions right and left is to pretend I'm scooping up gravel, rotating to the side, and then curling my wrist to dump the load.

If you go slowly and protect your back you might find it more "work" than the basic shovel.

Another one that is similar to shoveling is what I call "pitching hay." I act like I'm using a pitchfork to scoop hay off of the ground and then pitch it over a six-foot corral right in front of me. This one is like shoveling but much harder.

If nothing else, you could drop the shoveling for now and revisit it later. :)

thanks,
David