SilentButDeftly's Daily Check-In... 21 days or bust!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

SilentButDeftly

SilentButDeftly's Daily Check-In... 21 days or bust!

Post by SilentButDeftly » Tue Nov 15, 2005 7:59 pm

I remember reading about this diet over a year ago and thinking it would be a great idea but I managed to make excuses galore to not go on it... Now that I've tried a few different diets with no success at all, I figured I'd give this one a shot because it really just makes sense.

I'm a person who virtually *never* snacks -- maybe on a rare occasion I'll have a piece of candy at work but otherwise I really only eat at mealtimes. So that "S" isn't really that big a deal for me.

Sweet-tooth-wise, well, yeah, I've got a bit of a sweet tooth but if I drink sodas I'll only drink diet sodas, that kind of thing... I know I should stay away from those too, and so instead of popping a Diet Coke these days I'm switching to water. So that "S" isn't the big deal for me either...

Seconds, however, are a whole other story. Well, Thirds and Fourths are probably the *real* problem. :wink: But if I can eliminate the Seconds, then I can eliminate all the subsequent servings too. The number of servings that I have and the size of those servings -- that's always been my problem. Portion control is the name of the game. The name of the game that I haven't been doing too well at, that is. :) So if I can get that under control, I'm confident I can get my weight under control too.

Now that all of that is out of the way, here's my first check-in for yesterday:

Day 1, Nov 14: SUCCESS

Let's see how long I can keep this going -- I think it's a fantastic idea.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:54 am

Saying no to seconds (and thirds, fourths, fifths..) was, and still is my hardest S, but it is sooooo much better now.. I'm in my 16th month here, and I love it... I have lost around 25 pounds in that time... Not once have I felt deprived or resentful of any rules or restrictions.. They are helpful, and don't kill your enjoyment of food... Yay!
Good luck, and glad to hear you are Silent but deftly, and not the *other* kind! LOL....

(That happens if you eat thirds and fourths.. LOL.... eeeww, gross!!! LOL...)

You will love this diet SBD!
LOL..
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:32 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Deb!

It's funny, when I went to reheat some leftovers for dinner last night, I kept repeating the "No-S" manifesto to myself: "No snacks, no sweets, no seconds... no snacks, no sweets, no seconds". I'm trying to really drive it home to my brain that this serving is all I'll get and to make it count, but also not make it ridiculous. :-)

Day 2, Nov 15: SUCCESS

peetie

Post by peetie » Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:38 pm

SBD- Love your new mantra. It will serve you well. I personally have the appetite of a truck driver, so reasonable portions are always a challenge, but your body really does get USED TO having less just like it got used to having more!

Good luck.

Peetie

Michele

Hold the seconds!

Post by Michele » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:13 pm

That is so true Peetie, I found that I am eating about half as much as I used to :shock: Eating out is a challenge because most portions are way too big. I get full on just one bowl of cereal in the morning and a piece of friut. That never happened to me before. I have been listening more to my body, and when I start feeling full, I tend to stop sooner than I used to. It makes a big difference.

Hope it works out for you.
Sr. Michele

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:12 pm

Three days in and still going strong. Well, kinda -- last night we went out for dinner and while I technically had one plateful of pasta, it was kind of a big plate. I still feel like it qualifies as one serving -- and I'm also justifying it by realizing that pre-no-S, I would have also had some appetizers, a coke or two or three, and probably a dessert, too. I just had the pasta and some water -- I'm really getting into this water thing.

Day 3, November 16: SUCCESS

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:56 pm

Your pasta sounds like nothing to worry about. One plate is one plate. And to Paraphrase Reinhard "If your one plate seems a little beastial and disgusting, well, that's part of the learning process too!"

As you rightly pointed out, you didn't do the whole appetizer, dessert, soda, side dish thing, so you're spot on. Don't worry too much. The plate size thing will come. :)

C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:20 pm

Just cutting down on the sweets, especially the liquid ones, will save you sooooo many unnecessary calories, you will certainly benefit from it!

I remember a friend years ago, who would simply cut out dessert for a few months and voila, she'd drop like 20 lbs in no time....
I don't even think she hardly did any exercise (not that I'm advocating that...)

NoS is the best!
Keep it up girly!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:03 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote: Keep it up girly!
Haha -- I don't think anyone has called me "girly" since my 8th-grade gym teacher. I'm actually a male. :lol: Thanks for the encouragement anyway!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:45 am

Hi Silent-Guy!

I have to say I thought you were a girl too. Sorry. I'm sure I'd never think that if I saw you 'for real' though. Internet personas can be so confusing.

Have a good day.
C.
CaroleJo

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:04 pm

carolejo wrote:I have to say I thought you were a girl too. Sorry. I'm sure I'd never think that if I saw you 'for real' though. Internet personas can be so confusing.
No worries -- in any case, another good day, and I'm thrilled that if I make it through today with no hinky stuff there are 2 S-days on the other side of it.

Day 4, Nov 17: SUCCESS
"I am so smart! I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean, S-M-A-R-T! I am so smart!"

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:54 pm

Day 5, Nov 18: SUCCESS
Day 6, Nov 19: S-Day
Day 7, Nov 20: S-Day

I've only been doing this a week and I'm already finding I'm getting fuller more easily -- we went to a buffet this weekend and usually I'll go up for at least 2 or 3 plates, but I had about a plate+1/4 and I felt stuffed. Even if no weight comes off, at least I'll hopefully be eating more reasonable portions from now on...

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:59 pm

Haha -- I don't think anyone has called me "girly" since my 8th-grade gym teacher. I'm actually a male. Thanks for the encouragement anyway!
Ooopsie Daisies!!!
LOL!!! :P
You are welcome laddy!!! LOL...

I have no idea why I thought you were a girl...
Well, as Benny Hill said, you should never assume, because when you assume,,,,,etc.....

Keep up the great work!
It's amazing how our bodies get acclimatized to no snacks and three meals fairly quickly!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Tue Nov 22, 2005 2:09 pm

Day 8, Nov 21: SUCCESS

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:34 pm

Day 9, Nov 22: SUCCESS -- the only funny stuff was that I made a batch of homemade ice cream for Thanksgiving and I had to taste a spoonful to make sure it actually tasted like ice cream and not Elmer's Glue. Technically a Sweet, but it was a spoonful to verify flavor & texture, not to satisfy a craving or anything. I'm also justifying it because pre-no-S I likely would have made myself a bowl of the ice cream afterwards but now I'm waiting for Thanksgiving instead.

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Mon Nov 28, 2005 3:34 pm

Okay, I'm back!

Day 10, Nov. 23: SUCCESS
Day 11, Nov. 24: S-Day
Day 12, Nov. 25: S-Day (This one is debatable -- I had the day off so I treated it S-like.)
Day 13, Nov. 26: S-Day
Day 14, Nov. 27: S-Day

And although I'm always wary of what the scale tells me, in the past 2 weeks I'm down 4 pounds -- it's the first time I've seen my weight down at this level since buying the scale this summer! Hopefully the trend will continue...

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:54 pm

Down after thanksgiving? Wow. I'm keeping my distance from any scale for at least a week :wink:

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:05 pm

reinhard wrote:Down after thanksgiving? Wow. I'm keeping my distance from any scale for at least a week :wink:
What's amazing is that I really didn't gorge myself on Thanksgiving like I thought I would (and typically do). Instead, I had a plate + a few extra pieces of turkey and only a piece of pie for dessert, and I felt stuffed! Some of my relatives thought I was probably coming down with something because I'd eaten so little. (Well, relatively...) I'm definitely learning to listen to my body and let it be full for the first time in my life. Thanks for the philosophy, Reinhard!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Nov 28, 2005 8:15 pm

I'm definitely learning to listen to my body and let it be full for the first time in my life.
Wonderful SBD!!!
(I'm sure glad you are far away, considering *that* moniker!!! LOL...)
I'm also glad you weren't "sick" at your family get together! LOL..
Enjoy your new path to health! :D

Even on days or weeks, when I'm not going 100 percent (and sometimes not even 75%!) I feel NOS has permeated my being in a completely positive way... Glad to see it's working for you too!!!

All hail Reinhard, and all hail us guys too for being smart enough to realize a good thing when it comes along!!!
And the support of this group is very helpful.. I'd say, it's just as helpful as the plan itself, so thank God we can all share our journey and find power in the support of many!

(I is so smart~ :lol: )

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:27 pm

Day 15, Nov 28: SUCCESS
Day 16, Nov 29: SUCCESS

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:00 pm

Day 17, Nov. 30: SUCCESS

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:31 pm

Rock on!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Fri Dec 02, 2005 3:07 pm

Day 18, Dec 1: SUCCESS

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:08 pm

Wow. You're nearly there for your habit-building 21 days already!

This is great stuff. You sir, are doing very well indeed. 8)

C.
CaroleJo

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:53 pm

Day 19, Dec 2: SUCCESS
Day 20, Dec 3: S-Day
Day 21, Dec 4: S-Day
Day 22, Dec 5: S-Day (half-eSSed -- a vacation day, so I allowed myself an extra slice of pizza with dinner but otherwise I behaved myself)

Holy S! I made it 21 days! I'm proud to say that I'm down 5 pounds from where I was 3 weeks ago when starting (3-day average weights, with only minor variances, so I think the weight might actually be gone!). Before I even mentioned the weight loss to my wife, she told me to stop sucking in my gut before realizing that I wasn't -- it's just started to disappear!

I've never lost weight before. I mean, NEVER. Short of having a nasty stomach bug or something equally (or even more -- surgery, perhaps) drastic, I was starting to fear I never would. This is pretty cool, and I don't feel like I've had to make terrible sacrifices at all -- it's just sensible eating. The best part, though -- is that nobody (other than my wife) knows I'm on a diet. No, "sorry -- can't eat that dinner you cooked for us because it might have some carbs" or going out to dinner and asking "are there any sugars at all in that? Yes? Okay, I'll just have a block of cheese, then." and most importantly, no nagging questions from family/coworkers of, "so... how's that diet going?" It's awesome. Thank you, Reinhard, for coming up with a system that JUST MAKES SENSE! It's sensible eating advice that I've known I should follow all along -- but having a basic system, and the leniency of S-days, has made it very easy to go along with.

I've still got a long ways to go to get to what I (nevermind the CDC) would consider a "healthy" weight, but it's a positive start.

So I imagine I'll try to keep posting here, although I don't know if I'll keep up with the same daily frequency that I have been, but you'll probably see me on the Shovelglove boards these days -- I picked up a sledgehammer last week and started on Thursday. It'll be good practice for the winter weather, if nothing else!

Thanks to Reinhard and thanks to everyone else for their support!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Dec 06, 2005 3:00 pm

Hey Silent!

This is MAGIC news!!! I'm so so happy for you :D

I hope you continue to tell us how you're doing, now that you're well on the way to building your stable new eating habits.

Oh, and I'm glad you're giving SG a shot too. I think this is one of the very best things you can do for yourself, plus like NoS, you can do it 'privately'. Nobody has to see you!

Good job.
C.
CaroleJo

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:29 pm

Aw heck, I'll check in again.

Day 23, Dec 6: SUCCESS

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Dec 07, 2005 3:43 pm

Rock on wid'ya bad self!!!!!!!!
Excellent news man!!!!! :lol:
So happy for you!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:29 pm

Day 24, Dec 7: FAILED I screwed up on this day -- had an extra portion with dinner. I was just super-hungry and gave in to temptation... and I've been feeling awful about it ever since -- I was even ashamed to post!
Day 25, Dec 8: SUCCESS
Day 26, Dec 9: SUCCESS
Day 27, Dec 10: S-Day
Day 28, Dec 11: S-Day
Day 29, Dec 12: SUCCESS

I'm now down a full 6.5 pounds since starting and I'm hoping with ShovelGlove I'll start to see either more pounds drop or that my clothes will start feeling baggier... I'm convinced I would probably be down a little more if it hadn't been for the S-days this past weekend -- I was away for the weekend so I went a little bit overboard but I'm behaving now. :wink:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Dec 13, 2005 11:26 pm

Great job SBD!!!! :lol:
Awesome!!!

Since SG is really weight training in "disguise" as everyday movements of our forfathers, you can really expect muscle tone and inches lost, but don't be discouraged if your weight loss starts to slow down a bit... As you gain muscle you will lose fat, but the muscle is pretty dense, as I'm sure you know...
Muscle weighs three times as much as fat so it can certainly throw off those numbers on the scale...
Enjoy future baggy pants and see you soon at the "My pants fell down" club...

Have a great evening!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Fri Jan 06, 2006 7:28 pm

I figured I'd check in again. I was doing really good with No-S there... up until about Christmas or so. I was still no-S-ing but I had quite a few days off from work that I counted as S-days, and while I didn't "binge", per se, I definitely overate. I managed to gain back about 3 or 4 pounds of what I'd lost but I'm back on track with everything now. I've decided to press the reset button on my "days", though, as of Monday. So here I am checking in again:

Day 1, Jan 3: SUCCESS
Day 2, Jan 4: SUCCESS
Day 3, Jan 5: SUCCESS

I do have good news to report, though -- since the beginning of November, when I first started No-S-ing, I'm down a little over 10 pounds (up to 11.5 if my bathroom scale is feeling extra generous with me :D ). It's really awesome, and today at work, someone actually asked me if I was losing weight. I'm still about 35-40 pounds away from where I'd like to be, but just 2 months ago I was "45-50 pounds away".

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:06 pm

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great news!!!
Keep up the great run of days..
I have told so many people that even with the screw up days included, with NoS you still end up ahead of the game, compared to the way things used to be, and usually drop weight.. It just takes perseverence!!!!

Good for you!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:19 pm

Day 4, Jan 6: SUCCESS
Day 5, Jan 7: S-Day
Day 6, Jan 8: S-Day

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Tue Jan 10, 2006 2:39 pm

Day 7, Jan 9: SUCCESS

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:14 pm

Day 8, Jan 10: SUCCESS

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:17 am

That is sooooo great Silent!!!!!
I am thrilled for you!!! :D

Yeah... just post every now and then, and maybe if anything "funny" happens...Just to air it and make yourself accountable and honest..

Really, I am very happy about your great success!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:57 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote:That is sooooo great Silent!!!!!
I am thrilled for you!!! :D
Really, I am very happy about your great success!
Thanks Deb -- I'm really happy about it too! :D

Day 9, Jan 11: SUCCESS

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Fri Jan 13, 2006 3:07 pm

Day 10, Jan 12: SUCCESS

and now I'll track my shovelgloving here too:

Day 3, Jan 12: SUCCESS

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:44 am

Even though I am a Yankees fan, I congratulate you on your success!
: )
Becky

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Sat Jan 14, 2006 6:24 am

3aday wrote:Even though I am a Yankees fan, I congratulate you on your success!
: )
Becky
Thanks Becky -- enjoy Captain Caveman Johnny Damon this year. I have a feeling he'll post a nice season this year but then regress into being nothing more than a perfectly average ballplayer afterwards... :wink:

In any case,

No-S: Day 11, Jan 13: SUCCESS -- although I must confess we had Chinese food for dinner and I did have an one extra piece of General Gao chicken, but it would have fit on my plate in the first place. I just felt guilty about it, so here I am confessing. :-)

Shovelglove: Day 4, Jan 13: SUCCESS

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:50 pm

No-S:
Day 12, Jan 14 : S-Day
Day 13, Jan 15 : S-Day
Day 14, Jan 16 : S-Day (I behaved anyway but I counted it S-wise)
Day 15, Jan 17 : SUCCESS

Shovelglove:
Day 5, Jan 14 : S-Day
Day 6, Jan 15 : S-Day
Day 7, Jan 16 : S-Day
Day 8, Jan 17 : SUCCESS

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:29 pm

What was all your celebrating S days for?
C.
CaroleJo

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:23 pm

Hey CJ..
I'm not SBD, but I'm responding to you.... LOL..

We had a three day weekend here in the USA, because Monday was a national holiday..
Dr. Martin Luther King Day...

He would have been 77 years old this year.

Seeya later..
Love,
8) Deb

schmiddtty

Post by schmiddtty » Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:31 am

Hey SBD,

I saw your post on another thread about significant weight loss. Congratulations on yours! You did say that you find some times to be frustratingly difficult, and you've got me curious. What/When do you find following No S to be the most challenging? MJ

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:40 am

schmiddtty wrote:Hey SBD,

I saw your post on another thread about significant weight loss. Congratulations on yours! You did say that you find some times to be frustratingly difficult, and you've got me curious. What/When do you find following No S to be the most challenging? MJ
Hey schmiddtty -- sorry if I frightened you a bit there. It's most challenging for me in the situations where in my pre-No-S life I would have eaten just for the sake of eating.

Actually, it was a bit challenging tonight -- my wife got home late, well after I'd eaten my dinner, and she sat down to eat. I sat down with her and basically watched her eat while I sipped on ice water. Now normally I would have joined in, and probably had another helping of food (on top of the 2 or 3 servings that I would have eaten at my own dinnertime) -- or maybe even a dessert, just so that I could be eating too, even though I wasn't necessarily hungry. It was tough to just watch food be eaten but I kept repeating the mantra in my head, "No snacks, no sweets, no seconds... no snacks, no sweets, no seconds..." Anytime I thought I might give in to the temptation, I just remembered how great I feel when I step on the scale and see the numbers slowly going down -- or how great I felt when one of my coworkers saw me, did a double-take, and said, "hey -- have you lost weight? What have you been doing, 'cause you still eat the same things you always have..."

It's difficult to say no, especially when you are still hungry, but if you eat the extra food now, you'll might feel better for the moment, but you'll be miserable with yourself in the long run: "Why didn't I say no to that extra helping? Now I'll never lose this weight. " Then the next think you know, you go into full-on binge mode. The beautiful thing about no-S is that come any S-day, you can go and eat extra if you want and not hate yourself in the morning. :-)

After writing all that, though -- no-S is only about a million times easier than any other diet I've tried or read about. I can totally see myself doing this for the long haul. Giving up pasta for the rest of my life? I don't think so.

I hope that helps -- please feel free to ask anything else about it either on the forums or send me a PM. As you can see, I love to talk about this diet. It really works.

Back to business, though:

No-S:
Day 16, Jan 18: SUCCESS
Shovelglove:
Day 9, Jan 18: SUCCESS

schmiddtty

Post by schmiddtty » Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:23 pm

Thanks for your reply! I, too, love talking about this diet, but so often to deaf ears!! I don't think people believe it can be this good. Maybe when I start showing some of the weight loss they'll take me more seriously. I even find myself thinking that when I weigh in tomorrow for my weekly check, I will be satisfied with maintenence from my 3lb loss so far! That patience is new to me. (I know that S days are for a breather, but I don't think they are for the 8 Twinkies and 2 Hostess Cupcakes that I inhaled last weekend!! I am sure that had some implact on my weightloss for this week!)

Anyway, I do have my husband convinced, and my kids are all making some attempt to curb the sugar except on those precious S days!

Mary Jo

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:49 pm

No-S Day 17, Jan 19: SUCCESS
Shovelglove Day 10, Jan 19: SUCCESS

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:15 pm

Mary Jo, I thought you were a guy!!! LOL....
Something about "Schmitty", seemed like a boy nickname! LOL...

Enjoy your S days SBD and Schmitty!

Peace,
8) Deb

schmiddtty

Post by schmiddtty » Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:54 pm

Schmiddtty is our cat....he IS a guy!

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:31 am

No-S Day 18, Jan 20: SUCCESS
Shovelglove Day 11, Jan 20: SUCCESS

I know I shouldn't be measuring success in pounds but I was thrilled to get on the scale for the past three days and see a consistent weight -- I'm down 13.5 pounds from when I started this in mid-November. This is amazing.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Jan 21, 2006 2:52 pm

Success in pounds is great SBD!!!!
What is more amazing, you will find, is that you won't gain any of that back as long as you maintain NoS life... Even if you aren't totally perfect..
Congrats!!!!!
Your SG is playing a big part in this too...
I'm happy for you!!!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:09 pm

No-S Day 19, Jan 21: S-Day
Day 20, Jan 22: S-Day
Day 21, Jan 23: SUCCESS

Oh, I guess I passed 21 again. I honestly didn't even notice -- No-S is really ingrained in me now, this is pretty cool!

Shovelglove: Day 12, Jan 21: S-Day
Day 13, Jan 22: S-Day
Day 14, Jan 23: I'm going to call it a SUCCESS even if I didn't technically Shovelglove -- I figured doing an hour and a half of the real thing outside probably "counts". %&@$#! snowstorm.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:16 pm

You should go help Reinhard shovel his driveway SBD..
He has a cold... :roll:
Amazing how real shovelling still kicks ass!!!
Watch that you don't twist while lifting...
I actually hope we get hit with snow sometime in the near future..
My son loves to snowboard!
But I won't complain that we are supposed to see 48 degrees today..
I have to drive him to Queens for his sax lesson! LOL.. :wink:

Congrats on all you are doing for yourself and your enthusiastic commitment to this plan!!!!
As I heard Carlos Santana, once say:

Enthusiasm is contagious!!!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:36 pm

No-S Day 22, Jan 24: SUCCESS
Shovelglove: Day 15, Jan 24: SUCCESS

SilentButDeftly

Post by SilentButDeftly » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:11 pm

No-S day 23, Jan 25: SUCCESS
Shovelglove day 15, Jan 25: SUCCESS

SilentButDeftly

It's been waaaay too long

Post by SilentButDeftly » Fri Mar 03, 2006 4:17 pm

Good news & bad news -- bad news first: I've really slacked off in my shovelgloving. I know I *should* be and I can't really use the excuse that I don't have time -- I'm just never good with exercise. I really do want to get back on it, though, I know I was losing weight at a better pace when s-gloving.

The good news, however, is that I'm still no-S-ing very consistently. I've bent the rules slightly to make my S-days go from sundown-to-sundown, so that on a Friday night, I can go for an extra portion if I choose -- but Sunday night, it's back to no-S-ing. It's worked pretty well for me. The big news, though, is that I've definitely met my 1st personal goal. When I started no-S back in November, I weighed in at 268.5 pounds. I've got a birthday coming up at the end of next week, and my goal was to get myself under 250 as a birthday present to myself. Well, the scale this morning (and the past 3 mornings) read 248.5. I'm down a full 20 pounds since November 15 -- a little over a pound per week.

Quick side-story -- I have an 8-pound shovelglove, or so the sledgehammer said, but I was curious how much the entire thing actually weighs, so I carried it up from the basement to the bathroom where the scale is. I weighed myself holding the shovelglove, then weighed myself without it, and took the difference -- turns out it's actually a 10-pounder. In any case, I thought it was actually a little bit tough to carry it all the way up two flights of stairs -- it's heavy, man! Then I realized -- 4 months ago, I was essentially wearing TWO of them around my belly 24/7. While I wish I could claim that the weight loss has resulted in superhuman agility and speed, that hasn't been the case -- but I do know that I've developed fantastic new eating habits, and I'm on a plan that I could DEFINITELY stick with for the rest of my life. This diet works. Thanks again to everyone!