questions for Reinhard

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
chentegt

questions for Reinhard

Post by chentegt » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:24 pm

Hello Reinhard, I'm curious...

how is your shovelglove routine these days? what size of hammer?
are you doing any additional exercise?
what about the pushup experiment you talked about somewhere in these boards?

THANK YOU!

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:31 pm

Just in case Rienhard doesn't post soon, here's a link to a recent post where he describes what he's been up to.

http://www.everydaysystems.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=7236
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

chentegt

Post by chentegt » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:22 pm

thank you Kevin!
I had not seen the updated thread!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:01 pm

Thanks for the delaying action, Kevin.

To spare future readers of this thread an extra click, here's what I wrote there:

Here's exactly what I've been doing since 2002:

1) No S

2) Shovelglove (really just 14 minutes an N-day)

3) Urban ranger (<20 minutes to work, <20 minutes from work, plus occasional lunch and other walks average perhaps another 10-15 minutes a day, taking weekends etc. into account I'd estimate than on average over the course of all days in a year it's no more than 40 minutes total a day)

That's all I did through the first couple of "durings."

Since then, I've dabbled with a couple other supplemental exercises, but none of them has been very time intensive or consistent for long periods of time. They've been more benchmarks of fitness than activities to actually get me fit. In the interest of full disclosure I'll list them here:

For the last few years, when it's warm out, I'll do a slow, not very long jog about once a week. I'd guess that this works out to about 2-3 jogs a month on average over the course of a year, usually about 3 miles at about 9 minutes a mile. So not very intense and not very frequent. Though I enjoy it and would do it more if I had time, and it's nice to know that I physically can run to some degree should the need arise, I doubt it's significantly affected my fitness or made me look any different.

A couple of years ago I got a pullup bar and I use this sporadically to see how many pullups, chinups and "wide pullups" I can bang out. I'll also sometimes to similar "test sets" of pushups and squats. Again, it's more a metric than an actual strength building exercise.

So the short answer is, yes, for all practical purposes, all I do for exercise is 14 minutes a day of shovelglove (and urban ranger -- don't discount this).

guille

Post by guille » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:38 am

one of the interesting things i have heard is that after doing shovelglove for a while doing pull ups is possivle (with out training for pull ups before)

thats very interesting, and shows the efectivenes of shovelglove as a full body workout

rainhard, how many pull up can you do? if you dont train pull ups often , it shows how efective shovelglove is

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:13 am

Hi guille,

I have done more, but I can pretty reliably bang out 10 pull ups, 12 chin ups, or 10 "wide grip" pull ups.

I guess that isn't super-impressive, but I'm pretty strict about form (full range of motion, no "kipping"), and as you mentioned, I don't specifically train for them.

Reinhard

Finnigan

Post by Finnigan » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:30 pm

reinhard wrote: (and urban ranger -- don't discount this).
I remember my Uncle telling me his blood pressure and cholestorol spiked right after he retired. His weight didn't go up significantly though. his Dr. asked him if he was doing anything differently, changes in habits, anything? My Uncle had said there had been none aside from him not going to work every day. Then they realised he used to walk from the ferry terminal to his office and back during his commute. I don't know the distance, but it was about 20min-30min if I remember correctly. This was the change that made the difference.

Urban Rangering regularly is good stuff. I need to start again myself.