Is shovelglove right for me?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
sunlapse

Is shovelglove right for me?

Post by sunlapse » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:15 pm

Hey y'all. I'm a pretty skinny guy, just over 120 lbs at 5'11". I definitely don't hold back on eating (though I try to eat healthy as much as possible), so I guess it's just a fast metabolism at 21 years old. I basically have no upper body strength and have been looking to change that. I don't want to buff up too crazily or anything, just build up a bit of strength to help carry around heavy music gear and the like. So it looks like shovelglove might be a decent and fun option for me, but I want to make sure it is right. I definitely don't want to lose weight obviously, so I'm not sure how much shovelglove would go towards that. I wouldn't be changing my diet, if anything I'd probably start eating more due to the increased physical activity? Let me know if this is right for me or if I should be looking at something completely different altogether :).

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:38 pm

I'm sure it would be just fine for you. To a certain degree, you can't fight your body type (short people can't be tall, and tall people can't be short), so I wouldn't worry too much about whether a particular exercise is "optimal" for your body type. Good exercise is infinitely better than no exercise, and just a little less good than perfect exercise.

SG will make you stronger. It may not make you massively more muscular, but it will definitely make you stronger.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

filipe

Post by filipe » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:38 am

I agree with Kevin.
I'm also the thin type of person. Altough I went thru judo and gym (with 33 years old) before landed in Shovelglove, I'm plus 18 lb now, and manage to keep it with shovelglove and Urban Ranger. The difference it's a more strong torso and forearms (the grip strength it's a plus).
About the diet, had the same experience: more apetite, wich is obviously necessary.

Djemps

Post by Djemps » Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:00 am

I think that in general, shovel glove movements help build up a lean form of muscle (think of high reps but relatively low weight). So you will probably become more firm and defined, but not necessarily bulk up. You should still put on a few pounds of muscle weight if you do shugging on a regular basis. Muscles naturally burn more calories than fat, even at rest, so your appetite might also increase a little bit. Just get into it, have fun with it, and don't start looking for any specific changes until after a few weeks. By then you will have set up a sustainable routine, without the pressure of discovering immediate results.