New here and a tad chubby

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Dietlife

New here and a tad chubby

Post by Dietlife » Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:17 am

:wink:
Here's my story in a nutshell. Feel free to just skim it.

I went on my first diet at age 10--it was the Atkins diet--that was back in the 70's when it was popular the first time around. I was a chubby kid--and spent many years being teased for it. My favorite past times back then included eating oreos and reading Nancy Drew books, but not necessarily in that order.

I finally did lose weight and kept it off for several years in high school. That is when I became way too restrictive of my diet and a strong gust of wind could knock me over. I was emaciated, and unfortunately I liked it.

I went to college in San Francisco, got an apartment right on the corner of Haight and Ashbury--and lost the emaciated look through the process known as "midnight munchies". I was chubby yet happy. Maybe a little too happy at times.

I then graduated from college, stopped with the midnight munchies and all pre-midnight munchy behavior, and lost weight by eating soup for lunch every day (I kid you not--I ate soup for lunch every day for two years). I probably ate too little then, and got a bit too thin.

Had two beautiful kids, went through a freakishly early menopause at 33, adopted a baby from China, and now here I am at 40--happy with my life, but wanting some balance in the area of my weight. Because of the early meno, I found that the pounds creep up on me VERY easily these days. My poor metabolism is more like a sea slug rather than a gazelle.

I read about this plan last year and think it is brilliant. I hate that whole "low carb" craze (I even know a perfectly intelligent woman who once said to me "I am committed to the low carb lifestyle" with a straight face). And oy with the South Beach Diet with the tortillas that taste like cardboard. I just want to eat regular, healthy food like a reasonable person. Right now I am not so reasonable--because cookies are a daily habit and seconds are routine for me--so that is why I am here, and know this will work for me if I make some changes.

Nice to meet you all. Thank you to Reinhard (the name always reminds me of Braveheart..."I will find you!!!") for providing this free website and shaing this information. Did I read you were Canadian? Because if so, I like you already. If not, I paid you a high compliment by thinking you were Canadian.

Lisa :wink:
Lisa

peetie

Post by peetie » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:50 am

Hi Lisa,
Your story sounds very much like mine. Feast or famine. I came to NoS to normalize my eating and stabilize my weight. I was on the way back up...smack dab in the middle of my lowest weight and highest, and was just hoping to maintain, but ended up losing 5 lbs.

I've been doing this since around June of last year, and recommend it highly. With all the crazy diets and wild binges we have inflicted upon our poor, unsuspecting bodies, we have forgotten how to eat like a normal person. We haven't a clue what normal is anymore!

Hang in there and you will find normal again.

Peetie
A fellow Californian

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:39 pm

Hi Lisa!
You are funny...
Wow... You lived accross the street from the home of the Grateful Dead!!!
Very cool...
No wonder you got the "munchies"...
Ha...

Enjoy eating normal chips and salsa (during meals or on S days, just not as a snack unto itself..)
You will feel like you are really in heaven, especially given the wacky and neurotic dieting rollercoaster you have been on for thirty years...

Trust me.. You really will love this!!!
Expect slow but permanent results here... It's totally worth the wait..
If you can couple NoS with some exercise, that will make you lose pounds/inches faster...

I read your question about sandwiches... I say eat it with all the trimmings, just don't wash it down with a milkshake or soda...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Dietlife

Post by Dietlife » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:49 pm

Good to meet you, Deb and Peetie! :D I have been getting to know you better by reading through all the old posts.

Lisa
Lisa

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:51 pm

Don't go blind now!
LOL...

Have a great day, and please eat some mayonaisse for me!
LOL..

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:24 pm

Lisa:

Hi. Your subject line cracked me up: "a tad Chubby"....Very cute. Then, the Nancy Drew avatar made me smile. (I too used to love eating oreos when I read books. I am a certified bookworm since childhood.) And then you said you had lived in the Haight. I lived in the lower Haight for awhile when I was pregnant with my first child. I don't recommend living near a fish market, bars, head shops and dirty alley ways when one is pukey preggers). Not fun.

I just turned 41. I haven't been through the big M yet, but I am trying to keep up my metabolism by exercising.

Anyway, you will LOVE doing No S. It sounds like the perfect answer for you at this point in your life. I have lost 9 to 10 pounds and I've been eating this way since last May. If I lost another 10 I'd be "thin" but at this point I'm just happy to have my chin back. As I'm sure you have learned, this is not a quick fix plan. But, persistance and longevity work wonders here.

So, hey, I just wanted to say Hey too. ANd Good Luck!!!!!

From another Californian who is no longer a Tad Chubby....
Dru (CV Mom)

Dietlife

Post by Dietlife » Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:48 pm

Wow, you lived in the haight too! That is so cool. For 2 years I lived on Haight (near Ashbury), but later I lived in the lower Haight too! I use to live on Webster near Haight. This was back in the 80's and early 90's. I went to San Fransico State, and later to USF to get my teaching credential. I met my husband when I moved into the Haight Street apartment--he was just my roommate for the first year, but we fell in love as friends and roommates, and then moved on from there.

We bought our first house in San Francisco, after living for several years in Cole Valley. Our house was in Glen Park. In 1999 we move to the east bay--to Moraga, just outside of Orinda. We moved here for our kids--lots of room to run and play, and great schools. I missed the city terribly at first (especially the restaurants!), but now I love the peace and quiet and cows that graze on our hill (not to mention the deer that eat my roses!). We are only a 25 minute drive to the city, luckily--so we go back all the time with the kids. We love to go to Japantown to browse around.

Do you still live in the city? What years did you live there? I was there from 1983 (18 years old then) to 1999, when we moved out here. Did you live near the Knock Knock club?

Lisa :wink:
Lisa

cvmom

Post by cvmom » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:15 am

Lisa:

Too weird. We lived in the City at the same time and in the same vicinity!!!! I lived on Waller and Fillmore for about nine months and then we moved to the Richmond.

My husband and his friends used to go to Knock Knock a lot. I, of course, was pregnant so I couldn't really go bar hopping. I was a nanny at the time for some kids that live in St. Francis Woods so I frequented the area around SF State a lot. Particularily Stonestown.

Currently, we live in Carmel Valley (hence the CV mom). and we have deer that eat roses here too. It is so annoying. We just plant Salvia, Rosemary and Lavender...anything that the deer don't like to eat.

I do miss the City, but like you, I think that it is not the best place to raise kids. So, I sacrifice good shopping, but it's okay because we do have great restaurants. :lol:

Hey, I hope you find all the support that you need here on the No S board. I don't think I would have been as diligent and stuck to the basics had I not checked in here a lot during my first few months.

Good Luck,
Dru

Dietlife

Post by Dietlife » Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:13 am

Well, it is so nice to meet you, Dru. We have probably passed each other before in real life! I use to also spend lots of time at Stonestown, especially after I had my first chid in 1994. My best friend in the city still lives in St. Francis Wood--her husband is a dentist and they live on Santa Ana. I loved that area of San Francisco, and we looked at a few houses there before we moved out here.

My friend Jess Koster lived at Waller and Filmore for a while too--so I was often in that area.

Carmel is beautiful too. Thanks for the welcome.

Hugs,
Lisa
Lisa