Shovelglove does help with weight loss

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
koopa

Shovelglove does help with weight loss

Post by koopa » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:39 pm

Well, for those of you that do not know. I started shovelglove with an 8 lb hammer back in January. I then moved up to 10 lb hammer in march. During this window, I had lost 20 lbs, and then the weight loss slowed.

This brought me from 280 to 260.

I then adjusted my diet (not really following NoS, but gave up soda and I never really snack. I will have an occasional cookie or sweet, but do follow the only eat 3 meals a day) and picked up running.

This brought me to 260 to 240 and I still shovelgloved.

About a month or two ago, I upgraded to 12 lbs, which the hammer was too heavy for me. I need to buy gloves as it is causing blisters on my hands. Due to the hand pain, and frustration, I put shovelglove down and continued to run.

I also continued to stay around 240 lbs. I increased my running (training to run a marathon, back in march, I couldn't even run a mile...or a 1/2 a mile...or a 1/4 of a mile) but stayed around 240 lbs.

I figured I needed to change something, as quadrupling my running has not really yielded much results, and picked up shovelgloving again. With the 12 lber. I still need f'ing gloves. Any suggestions? :P

In the week, I am now dropped to 236, down 4 lbs in 1 week. The combination of the cardio and weights seemed to have helped greatly with the weight loss. The break also helped me handle the 12 lb'er better as well.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:46 pm

That's great to hear -- congratulations!

I had a similar experience. It's hard to tease out the contributing factors, but with no-s alone I lost 20 pounds. When I started shugging a few months after, I lost another 20. And I'm guessing I lost a lot more fat poundage than that, given the muscle I gained.

As for gloves, I've been using these (the same pair) for the last few years and they've been great:

http://astore.amazon.com/shovelglove-20 ... B00074T848

Reinhard

koopa

Post by koopa » Tue Sep 06, 2011 4:37 pm

reinhard wrote:That's great to hear -- congratulations!

I had a similar experience. It's hard to tease out the contributing factors, but with no-s alone I lost 20 pounds. When I started shugging a few months after, I lost another 20. And I'm guessing I lost a lot more fat poundage than that, given the muscle I gained.

As for gloves, I've been using these (the same pair) for the last few years and they've been great:

http://astore.amazon.com/shovelglove-20 ... B00074T848

Reinhard
for 11 dollars (before shipping) why not.

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:58 pm

A tip I learned from my brief foray into blacksmithing is that varnish causes blisters, so you should sand it off. I use 120grit so its not too slippery, but you could go as fine and smooth as you like. If you don't like the look of bare wood, linseed oil doesn't seem to cause blisters, but eventually the oils from your hand will give it a nice patina.