Trans-fats

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

ClickBeetle

Trans-fats

Post by ClickBeetle » Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:39 pm

I was reading about trans-fats lately and I realized that the No-S Diet is really good for avoiding these.

Trans-fats, sometimes known as "partially hydrogenated" oils, are turning out to be incredibly bad for us. I won't go into all the details, but they are a huge problem. A number of nutrition researchers have gone so far as to say there is no safe level for consumption.

Well, trans-fats are found mostly in commercial baked goods - boxed cookies, crackers, and snacks; and store-prepared bakery goods. Also in frozen foods with breaded coatings or frozen tater tots, fries, and so on. Almost no cookie, biscuit, or cracker is made commercially without trans-fats. I look for them on the labels and ingredient list, and I have found that I almost can't buy cookies or snacks anymore. The only brands that don't routinely include trans-fats are the "health food" brands.

Anyway, No-S is great cause it essentially limits consumption of these sorts of things to 2 days out of 7, most weeks.
Chance favors the prepared. - Louis Pasteur

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:16 pm

Agreed. Fortunatley at least some companies are taking notice... I think McDonalds has (or is planning) to eliminate trans-fats in its foods. Still won't exactly make most of McDuck's fare health food, but it's a start.

I think companies use trans-fats becuase it helps keep things solid and gives food a longer shelf-life. Which again No-S adapts to perfectly... I have almost never bought a box of sweets or snacks, most of the time I'll make or buy something on a weekend and eat it right away or very soon, so shelf-life means very little to me. 8)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Jun 13, 2005 11:56 am

This is why I don't have explicit rules regarding this stuff: it gets handled quite nicely as a side effect of "no snacks" and "no sweets." The fewer rules to achieve a given end, the more likely you are to follow them.

Kevin

trans fats

Post by Kevin » Mon Jun 13, 2005 12:26 pm

It's nice to see the free market at work here.

There are quite a few companies, even major ones like Frito Lay and Nabisco, that are now producing without trans fats. Fritos - at least the standard flavor ones - and Triscuits for example , are trans fat free.

Trans fats were originally devised to increase shelf life, if I understand it correctly. I think they figured out that packaging in that space age plasti-foil prevented anything from going rancid in less than a decade. So, they could give folks what they wanted and avoid the inevitable class action suits...

I still like Fritos with lunch on S days.
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:05 pm

Hi Guys!
I think that the big issue with transfats is how they rob your body of nutrients... I'm going on my memory, so, big time disclaimer, don't quote me!
I think the transfats absorb nutrients from our food, which we should be absorbing instead...
Feeling a little lazy since I have a little Summer cold, blechhh!, so I'm not up for a whole investigative fact finding mission.
The thing that sucks, is that most commercially produced food has so many additives and garbage, it's nearly impossible to avoid it... Gotta get really into eating at health food stores if you really want to get that stuff under control...
PS... Kev, I like Fritos too! LOL... Though I know they are horrible for you! :lol:
8) The difference now, is that I can have a bag of them around and not eat the whole bag at once!
Love,
Deb

jools

fritos

Post by jools » Fri Jun 17, 2005 5:45 pm

Hi Deberoo

I like Fritos too! I have recently noticed also that more packages are labeling them if they dont have them, honestly i rarely buy packaged snacks, so its not an issue once ina awhile to have them.
As Rein said its a side effect of this EP, so its automatically taken care of if you are following NOS.
Oh great now i really want a bag of them! I love them on a taco sald instead of tostitos with piles of salsa and sourcream mmmmm!
Thank goodness tomorrow is an S day, cause i know i can hold off til then.

Jools

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:08 pm

Ha ha! The Fritos are controlling your mind! You must answer them now! I mean, tomorrow :lol:
Cucus!
Deb