First shovelglove post

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
mattman

First shovelglove post

Post by mattman » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:12 pm

Hello everyone. I just wanted to say that I really enjoy this type of training. Although I have to be a bit honest and say that it does look a bit wierd, I think that it has a ton of awesome benifits. I love that after working out with a 20lb sledge at home, the 12# hammers at the fire station feel sooooooooooooo light. Also, I love that when I combine these workouts with push-ups(gotta do them) I feel as though I can swing an axe for hours. Awesome website, I come here almost daily to see what's new. I have lurked here for quite a while and just now got around to posting.

Take care.
two wrongs don't make a right.
But three lefts do.

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:05 am

20 # :shock: I'm impressed.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:18 am

me too! Took me several years to work up to that.

Welcome!

Reinhard

mattman

Post by mattman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:37 pm

I dont think its too much to be impressed over. I have been very heavey into kettlebells for the last 7 years which gives me a pretty nice base to start from. I did start with the 16# hammer, that was all that I had. i trade off between my 20# hammer and my 30# mace. When I go heavier i like to try to go for 30 mins. My pushups, swings, and ab wheel rollouts would then come at the end or in a different workout later.

Take care,

Matt
But three lefts do.

mattman

Post by mattman » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:11 pm

typo on my part.......sorry.

What I had meant to say is that when I go lighter in weight i will usually go longer. The heavier I go, the shorter the workout.

Also, another thing that I do for work is to do step-ups onto a concrete block witht the 20# hammer switching hands every minute. Sometimes I will also carry a 50# bag on my shoulder to simulate carrying a firehose on my shoulder up a high rise building.Even just carrying the hammer that long really starts to suck after a while, but it does have a lot of good cary over for work. Also, must do the push-ups, with the occasional ab wheel roll-puts thrown in for good measure.
But three lefts do.