Michael's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Michael

Michael's Daily Check In

Post by Michael » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:41 am

Hi, everyone! I've been away for a few months, and decided to get back on NoS a couple of days ago. Today I had an S-Day (for Thanksgiving). But Tuesday and Wednesday were plan days -- Tuesday went fine but late Wednesday night I had a stray candy bar that I found lurking in the kitchen.

Oh well, onto tomorrow! (Oh, yeah, tomorrow, which starts at about 3am as I get up to stand in line at Wally World to buy a new laptop for a ridiculously low price.) I really need to get to bed.

Michael

Post by Michael » Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:09 am

Friday (after Thanksgiving) was supposed to be a plan day, but it didn't quite happen that way. I figured, hey, it's a four-day holiday weekend, whatever. But Monday was a good plan day -- and every day since. It's Friday night and I've done very good all week. Today in the mail came my cheese cfurds and fudge from Wisconsin, so I get to have some of those tomorrow and Sunday.

Perhaps Monday I'll actually talk myself into starting shovel-glove again.

Michael

Post by Michael » Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:39 am

Well, things have been very very busy, as you can see from my prolific posting history.... :shock:

With two exceptions, I've been very faithful to the No S Plan.

One was a Thursday (just before Christmas) I took my son out to dinner. He wanted Chinese food, so we went to a local buffet, and I had two plates. I didn't really eat more than normal, but I did split it into two plates, so...FAILURE.

The other was last night. We had pizza, and I took three pieces. Well, when I finished those, I really really wanted more, so I had one more piece. FAILURE.

I have found, though, that my enjoyment of chocolate has all but disappeared. Even on the weekends now, I rarely have lots of chocolate or any sweets. Mainly I just snack throughout the day over the weekends.

I've started yoga (I bought myself a starter kit with DVD, mat, blocks, and strap for Christmas), and I still keep telling myself I *will* start shovelglove again. Oh well.

Anyway, I don't weigh, but I have taken my belt in a notch. I can almost take it in a second notch, but that will be more comfortable in a week or so, I think.

Michael

Post by Michael » Wed Feb 01, 2006 7:34 pm

Since my last post, I've done well. Except last night.

There wasn't any obvious reason or trigger for last night, I was just sick and tired of not having things I wanted. (By way of explanation, lately, I've been horrendously busy from Friday through Sunday, so I find myself not having the things I look forward to on the weekends due to time constraints.)

So I had a chocolate shake with dinner AND an apple empanada from Taco Bell.

FAILURE. But balanced by the prior 12 days of SUCCESS, so I don't feel absolutely despondent, just a little disappointed in myself.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:58 am

Hi Michael,

congratulations, you're human just like the rest of us. :lol:

Nevermind. Today is another day. Pick yourself up, dust yourself down and keep going. You are quite right that 12 great days of eating well are not going to be cancelled out by one little mess-up!

You're doing great!
C.
CaroleJo