gk's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gk

gk's daily check-in

Post by gk » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:57 am

Day 1 - Monday - SUCCESS

Ahhh...feels good to type that. :D

I had a fairly easy day today. I made sure to keep my meals at least 5 hours apart and my plates full to avoid hunger. Also, whenever I started feeling hungry, I just focused on a new task.....worked like a charm.

Feels good to be back. :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Tue Aug 23, 2011 1:07 am

Whooo Hooo!

milliem

Post by milliem » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:35 pm

nice one! :)

gk

Post by gk » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:47 am

Thanks Who Me and milliem! :)

Day 2 - Tuesday - SUCCESS

I did it! This is usually the hardest day for me when first starting again, because I'm not still full from my piggy weekend and I'm not used to refraining from snacking all day.

My lunch and supper meals were very FULL plates, but legal. I'm trying to put a little more "presentation" into my meals and savoring the taste. I'm also trying to improve my attitude this time around so as to avoid the whole "diet resentment" thing. Every little bit helps. It must help, because I had to have an early supper tonight, and here I am later when I'd usually dive into late evening snacks and I'm totally okay.

I'm doing it!! :D

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:55 am

Hi, what I found for me is I bought some 9 inch plates and they can look pretty full compared to my filling a 12 inch plate...I read the 9 inch diet book which is like No S not a diet book at all...learned a lot on how we have supersized everything in our lives.

Anyhow, love the green days too...over time Monday's seem to get easier with getting back on track, even a day after red seems to be easier as time goes on.

Deb
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

gk

Post by gk » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:12 am

Deb: Thanks for your post! I measured my dishes and they are 10" (a happy medium, I guess :) ). I am a big reader, so when I read your input on the 9" diet book, I added it to my list of must-reads. Thanks!

Day 3 - Wednesday - SUCCESS

Wow! I can't believe how easy it is this time. I honestly haven't cruised through it like this since my first attempt, back in November 2010 (the only time I've been successful all year). I realize it's only the third day, but sadly, usually by now I've already failed or I'm limping through so desperately I've pretty much admitted defeat before it even happens. So, to make it just a few days and be completely content and happy about it is huge for me.

I've changed my views/outlook on several things, and I think that has really made a difference for me.
Last edited by gk on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

milliem

Post by milliem » Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:07 pm

Woop, well done on your third green day this week!

I'm a firm believer that our thoughts, beliefs and attitudes shape our behaviour so a positive change in attitude is bound to be helpful :)

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:45 pm

I second that, millem! Well done, gk!!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

gk

Post by gk » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:38 am

Thanks guys! Yes, a positive outlook can definately reshape the entire process.

Day 4 - Thursday - SUCCESS

More of the same.....no problems....very content. (This is one time I don't mind being stuck in a rut! :D) I even had a busy evening and didn't get to my supper until 9:30 p.m. I actually almost FORGOT that I hadn't eaten supper yet. Goes to show that I'm not obsessing like in previous attempts. Awesome.

Usually by Thursday, I'm DYING for chocolate and limping through the day like I just can't take the restrications anymore. And here I am now.....watching the kids eat a treat from the coach of chocolate chip cookies after their first soccer practice, and I didn't even flinch. Just watch me go.... 8)

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:10 am

Whoop Hoooo!

Bride

Post by Bride » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:58 pm

Good job, gk! Just wait til the weekend. That chocolate will be so fantastic.

gk

Post by gk » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:38 am

Thanks everyone - your support is much appreciated! :)

Day 5 - Friday - SUCCESS!!!

I did it!!! I can't believe I made it through an entire week on my first attempt back! I even had a crazy busy day today, and didn't get to have lunch. So, officially I could have another meal late tonight, but I won't. And do you know WHY I'm not having my third meal? Because I'm NOT hungry, therefore, I don't need to eat just because I can. Well!!!! My mind would never have taken that for an answer before! Who needs to be hungry to eat food? If you're allowed, you stuff it in anyway, whether you're hungry or not, right?!?!? :lol:

Apparently, I'm actually taking a step in the right direction for once. I actually stuck to vanilla all week. When it was time for me to eat, I had a FULL plate, but it was legal. I enjoyed every bite, noting the texture, taste and smell. Really enjoyed my food instead of just wolfing it down. After each meal I was content and ready to think about something else. No obsession with food since I was "on a diet". It didn't consume me like it usually does. I can actually say I had a very enjoyable week while on this diet. (GASP! Did I just really say that?!?!?) I remember experiencing this a year ago during my first attempt at No S. Gotta love it.

Now, part of me doesn't want to have an S tomorrow, as I'm not craving anything yet and I'm on such a good streak. But the other part of me knows that if I don't "train" myself to have the occasional treat, I'll wake up in the middle of the night someday with a sudden impulse to inhale a gallon of ice cream, and they'll find me the next day huddled in a corner with chocolate all around my mouth. (Okay, so I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get the jist. :wink:) So, I think I'll look at this weekend as no restrictions and just remember Reinhard's words of wisdom...."don't be an idiot." :)

Oh, and I also was wondering if my FULL plates would be counterproductive, but I actually lost 2 lbs. this week, so I guess not!!

GOOD WEEK! Let's hope I can do it AGAIN!!!!

Enjoy your S Days everyone! You deserve them!!

milliem

Post by milliem » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:14 am

Congratulations on your great week :)

Remember the 'sometimes' part of NoS - if you aren't craving anything particular or there's nothing around that takes your fancy, you don't HAVE to have anything sweet or snacky on an S day. But, the option will always be there :)

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:33 pm

gk wrote:Now, part of me doesn't want to have an S tomorrow, as I'm not craving anything yet and I'm on such a good streak. But the other part of me knows that if I don't "train" myself to have the occasional treat, I'll wake up in the middle of the night someday with a sudden impulse to inhale a gallon of ice cream, and they'll find me the next day huddled in a corner with chocolate all around my mouth. (Okay, so I'm exaggerating a bit, but you get the jist. :wink:) So, I think I'll look at this weekend as no restrictions and just remember Reinhard's words of wisdom...."don't be an idiot." :) ...
Oh, and I also was wondering if my FULL plates would be counterproductive, but I actually lost 2 lbs. this week, so I guess not!!
I know how you feel about S days, for me I know if I start snacking I won't stop....and congrats on the weight loss..awesome.

AND thanks so much for stopping on my post and encouraging me along during my wild S days...

I have hope...I still feel sane even though I binge on my S days...

Thanks..deb

gk

Post by gk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:26 pm

S Days

Well, the weekend went as expected. Had my fair share of chocolate, but loved that there was no guilt with it. That being said, I didn't get the "zing" I usually get from my sweets. You'd think after a week of being good, I'd be on cloud nine. It tasted good.....just wasn't over the top. Which is good.....means I don't NEED it as much as I thought, right?? :)

Looking forward to starting again Monday.

gk

Post by gk » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:25 pm

I'm hungry.

You'd think my tower of food (ah...no exaggeration there) at lunch would've helped.

Ugh.

gk

Post by gk » Tue Aug 30, 2011 1:00 am

Day 6 - Monday - SUCCESS

Whew! That was a close one. I seriously considered cheating, but thought I CANNOT go back to my old ways of trying for a bit and then saying "screw it" and diving into food.

SOOO....I decided to make the right choice today. The only flavor I tried today was VANILLA. :wink:

gk

Post by gk » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:03 am

FAIL (x5!!!)

Yikes....while getting ready for big weekend and throughout big weekend, I lost my willpower and resorted to old behaviors (and my starting weight :( )

I guess that brings me back to Day 1 tomorrow.

Oh...and tried on my jeans since weather has turned colder. Almost ALL my jeans are too small now. :shock: :shock: :shock: Hence, my start of pilates ASAP. I refuse to go out and buy a bigger size. So, I guess I better stick to this diet now or I'm gonna be parading around in shorts while others are wearing coats and mittens!!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Sep 07, 2011 12:38 pm

At least you are still here and trying! Hang in there.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

gk

Post by gk » Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:36 am

Thanks for the encouragement, r.jean!

DAY 1 - Wednesday
Diet: SUCCESS
Exercise: SUCCESS

Dinner and supper were LARGE but kept me full enough to avoid snacking.

Whenever I did crave chocolate and thought about cheating (yes, I know it's only Day One), you wouldn't believe what helped....I would say to myself, "if I'm just good until an S Day, then I can binge without the guilt." Is that warped or what?

I actually exercised today! It's been a VERY long time. Five minutes into it, I was thinking, "I really enjoy this!". So why did I ever stop??

My plan is to exercise Monday through Friday, alternating pilates with a yoga/stretch to alleviate any soreness or hip pain. I am looking at it as something that just "has to be done", such as bathing the kids or cleaning the house versus something I can do "if I feel like it". Not that I should view it as a chore, but I just want it to become a part of my normal day and something that shouldn't be missed. There was actually a time long ago that I felt "off" if I didn't exercise. My goal is to get back to that place. I do enjoy pilates and yoga, and it is SO much better on my hip than walking, etc., so I think that is the way for me to go this time.

gk

Post by gk » Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:15 am

Day 2 - Thursday

Today was a close one. A situation popped up that would usually leave me finding comfort by surrounding myself with chocolate. I pulled on willpower I didn't know I had and played by the rules.

Did a yoga/stretch DVD (from my ROKU) that worked perfectly for helping with stretching muscles I used in pilates yesterday that have been dormant for a decade. Really enjoyed it.

I've decided to look at each weekend ahead of time and determine whether I will do Saturday and Sunday for my S Days or Friday night to Sunday night. Due to my plans, this weekend will be so much easier for me if I do the Friday night to Sunday night thing, so that's the plan for me this time.

gk

Post by gk » Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:38 pm

Day 3 - Friday

Rather easy today as I kept pretty busy. Plan to enjoy my chocolate-filled weekend and start anew on Monday.

Have a great weekend everyone. :)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:05 am

Excellent Friday, enjoy the chocolate.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:35 am

gk wrote:S Days

Well, the weekend went as expected. Had my fair share of chocolate, but loved that there was no guilt with it. That being said, I didn't get the "zing" I usually get from my sweets. You'd think after a week of being good, I'd be on cloud nine. It tasted good.....just wasn't over the top. Which is good.....means I don't NEED it as much as I thought, right?? :)

Looking forward to starting again Monday.
Im finding myself changing too! After 1 1/2 cookies for breakfast this morning, I didnt feel as good as I could have! It felt like a ball of yuck or something in my stomach, This is coming from someone who used to be able to eat 1/2 pan of cookies!
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

gk

Post by gk » Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:44 am

Thanks, over43 - I sure did. :D

herbsgirl - Yeah, I read once before on the No S bulletin, how someone felt they've become a "food snob". After awhile on this diet, you eat less treats and are very picky about what is deemed worthy of being S Day treats. This diet really opens your eyes, doesn't it?

S DAYS: Now, even though I am well aware of how much treats can be savored and enjoyed if consumed in moderation, my weekend can be summed up in one word------

BINGE :oops:

My hubbie was out of town and for some reason my habits kicked into overdrive and I went a little nutso with the treats (imagine that). My body feels like I need to be sent to six weeks of detox.

You know you've overdone it when you're actually CRAVING salad and some fruit.

OOPS.

gk

Post by gk » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:16 am

Day 4 - Monday

Many weak moments late afternoon into evening. BUT........I did it. :D

Still enjoying my pilates and yoga. For years and years, I used to exercise late at night. Alot of times, I would blow it off because I was tired or just plain didn't feel like it. I'm not one to jump out of bed at 5:00 a.m. to exercise either, so my new time of around 9:00 a.m. or so is working perfectly. And as I was hoping, it's already starting to feel like it's "just part of my day".

gk

Post by gk » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:46 am

Day 5 - Tuesday

Feeling some control today. It was one of those days where I didn't get to eat my supper until 9 p.m. When I wavered mid-afternoon I reminded myself of the nice meal I'll have later and just kept busy. Worked. Actually forgot about food. :shock:

I had to laugh at the plate I assembled for my supper. I had taken a moment to sit down and think about what I was really hungry for. My food choices (combined) were a little unusual. I had a sampling of the following (no more than a full plate):

-meatloaf
-mashed potatoes
-side salad (in bowl on plate)
-sunflower seeds
-cheetos
-tuna salad

But you know what? I was TOTALLY satisfied when I finished. The random thoughts of saying "Screw It" and having chocolate faded as I finished my plate. I've found it's better for me to take the time to taste all of my cravings at the moment to avoid cheating. I'm not getting my chocolate that way, but at least every other craving is being satisfied and that helps alot when it comes to my willpower.

Exercise is going great. However, my stupid hip is at it again. GEEZ....I'm just doing low intensity pilates and yoga, and once again my hip is sore, radiating into my back and up into my neck. But, I'm not stopping. I figure "easy does it" is better than nothing at all. Won't do much for weight loss but at least it will keep me in the habit of exercising Monday-Friday and hopefully, I'll be able to work through the discomfort.

gk

Post by gk » Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:48 am

Day 6 - Wednesday

I do believe I'm on a roll. Been a while since I've had this much green on my habitcal! It was pretty tough late afternoon (I SO wanted a piece of chocolate.) But, I just kept reminding myself that I can survive without it ( :shock: really?) and I can have some in just a few days.

I did pilates today and stretched alot - pain is subsiding. I've already gotten to the point of feeling it's part of my normal habit (on only Day 6!!). I think a HUGE part of that is due to the fact that I'm no longer doing it late at night, as I know there are a few days that I know I would've blown it off already.

I'm finally moving in the right direction!! 8)

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:19 am

You certainly are moving in the right direction. You are using experience and intuition to find what will work for you. That, in my opinion, is the secret of this plan. It is yours to shape and create. It allows for individual differences in schedule and preference. You are doing wonderfully well. Congratulations. Bathe in your own virtue as KCCC says.
I'm baaaack.

gk

Post by gk » Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:07 am

Thanks Pangelsue2! :)

Day 7 - Thursday

Just watch me go....just gliding right on through it this week.

I went to a Homecoming parade this evening. Talk about temptation.....you know how they say you're not supposed to keep sweets in the cupboard, so you're not tempted when you see it? Try resisting the temptation while people throw candy towards you......I saw my favorite chocolates literally sailing past my head every 30 seconds. And then everyone around me devoured it after the parade ended. BUT.....I resisted.......easily, in fact. HA - take THAT!!!! 8)

gk

Post by gk » Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:02 am

Day 8 - Friday

What a great week! It's nice to have an all-green week again. I've noticed how much BETTER I feel now. I think alot of my success this week stems from exercising again. I can already tell the difference in my flexibility, and a few moves in pilates that I had trouble with just 8 days ago are already getting easier. I actually ENJOY it and look forward to it during my day, like it's a treat. Yes! That also overflows into my eating.....I feel so good that I don't want to be bogged down with an overfull feeling or too much sugar.

I'm doing my S days altered again this week.....Friday night to Sunday night. I had a couple treats and noticed how RICH they tasted. Couldn't have NEAR as much as I usually do without getting that gross feeling. That's good!! It means my N Days are starting to "train" my S days.

Oh yeah.....and I lost 1 lb. this week! Slow, but sure. :)

Enjoy your weekend everyone!

gk

Post by gk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:29 pm

S Days

This weekend was very......"weird" for me. I had my treats that I had planned, and then some. But, I found that I just didn't really crave it much. It didn't take much for me to feel gross (good!) and I think I could've went at least one of the days without chocolate and been fine (even better!). But part of me was constantly saying, "EAT it now before you're back to an N day!!". So, I did. :D But the amont of chocolate this weekend was WAY down from last weekend.

Even though I didn't exercise on the weekend, I think that helped with me eating during that time as well. Heck, if I knew exercising was going to have this much impact on my eating, I would've gotten off the couch a long time ago. :)

I did have the treat that Noel posted (pudding, crumbled cookie/brownie, and whipped topping). Discovered two things.....I like those three things (no actually LOVE those things) seperately but not together. And, two....it DID taste better in the pretty glass. The presentation made it much better than when I had chocolate pudding later in a bowl.

Decided to make my desserts for S Days from now on (instead of eating the pre-packaged crap), and I will eat my desserts in my pretty desserts dishes.

No apprehension going into Monday this week. (This is soooo cool. 8))

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:19 pm

Whooo Hooooo!

gk

Post by gk » Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:58 am

Monday

Diet: NWS Day
Exercise: Success

Today was my first NWS Day. I kinda went into it thinking I'd go through the day and just see how things went.....if I really wanted something, I'd eat it; otherwise, I'd just stick to the plan.

Went out to eat for lunch and chose a chef salad over the greasy fries and burger, just cuz I knew I'd probably have that tomorrow when I spend the day with my parents and, frankly, I was just craving it. Unfortunately, the salad was less than satisfying.....whole lotta nuthin, so I didn't make it through the day. By supper time I decided, what the heck and used my NWS Day. BUT, I didn't go overboard....just some treats and that's about it. Didn't even have a full plate at supper.

Knock on wood, but I think I might be able to stick to my exercise for longer than 2 weeks without visitng the chiro for my hip. Yay!!
Last edited by gk on Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

gk

Post by gk » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Tuesday
Diet: FAIL!
Exercise: FAIL!

I'm such a "routine" person. If my day doesn't go through it's normal schedule, I feel outta wack and end up throwing in the towel. On the bright side, I did good all day and only attribute my fail to sweets after supper....no all-day snacking or anything.

As for my exercise, I honestly did want to do my yoga, but the day was so busy that I didn't have time. I was actually bummed about that instead of being secretly relieved that I didn't have to, like I used to be. So at least I didn't just blow it off, and it was only due to a busy day.

I couldn't bring myself to start over at "Day 1" yet again, so I think I'll just label each day "Success" or "Fail" and leave it at that. It's becoming too frustrating for me at this point to count my days. That being said, I'm not bummed about putting red on my calendar after a good green streak. Just "marking it and moving on". :)

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 1:16 pm

Good for you. That is the only way to handle a set back. I am glad to see you are complimentary to yourself for your green days. So many of us here just pass over them and then spend in inordinate amount of time grousing about the red days. You are doing awesome. I especially enjoyed your description of having chocolate actually thrown at you and resisting. How cruel a thing is that for fate to do to a person!! Keep at it. The wins are outweighing the setbacks more and more often.
I'm baaaack.

gk

Post by gk » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:27 pm

Thanks pangelsue2. It's so nice to be greeted by an encouraging post when I log in. :)

I should have read that before I leaped off the wagon this afternoon. I don't know what's the matter with me today. I woke up in a down mood and can't seem to shake it. :( I pushed myself to go ahead with exercise (yoga/stretching today), which did make me feel better but not for long. And how do I always handle a bummer mood? Well, with chocolate, of course! It's like I had absoluately zilch willpower today. Someday I'll figure out something that I can substitute for chocolate during off days. So far, nothing else even comes close.

Yikes - two reds this week. And I was doing so well. I've seen that pattern with me in the past. I have a solid green week and then just lose it the next week. Well, tomorrow is another day. I'll get it eventually!

Wednesday

Diet: Fail

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:31 am

Hang in there!

I should mention that my super-slim father always had some little sweet at the end of his dinner. He never ate snacks, and was very active. But he was a dessert-lover all of his life.

A *little* chocolate won't kill you...Don't beat yourself up.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:58 pm

Hi gk!

Just checking in and wanted to say hello. I'm going to try for 21 pure vanilla days. Want to join me? Am starting this today (Thursday), not waiting until Monday like I usually do. I have been doing okay over the past few months but really miss the feeling of being in control that I had when I was pure vanilla, so here I go again. Would love some company so let me know if you are up for a joint challenge! ;)

Good luck and hope you are well!
:)
Lisa

gk

Post by gk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:21 am

Thanks Who Me. I don't know if I'd describe my consumption of chocolate as "little" though..... :P .

Thursday

Good grief. And the downward spiral continues....
Last edited by gk on Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

gk

Post by gk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:41 am

ljk2009 wrote:Hi gk!

Just checking in and wanted to say hello. I'm going to try for 21 pure vanilla days. Want to join me?
Hi Lisa! Good to see you back. :) Sure, I'll take on the challenge with you! I've had alot of red this week.....I'm starting on Friday.

Thanks for stopping by my post! Taking on a challenge is always more fun with a buddy. :)
Last edited by gk on Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

gk

Post by gk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:05 am

Weighed in this morning.......I GAINED 2 lbs. this week! That's what a week of red will do to you, I guess!

Yikes!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

21-day challenge starts TODAY.......

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:43 pm

Two pounds? Don't beat yourself up.

gk

Post by gk » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:22 pm

Friday

Well, so much for the scale scaring me into sticking to the diet. Something came up today (we'll call it one of my top two triggers), and I went straight into binge mode. :oops:

I guess I'll be starting Day 1 on Monday after all.

On the bright side, I haven't been this dedicated to exercise in a LONG time, so at least I'm improving in one aspect of all this!

Have a great weekend everyone.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:10 pm

Hi gk -
Hope you are having a nice weekend! Don't beat yourself up over a bad week. You got through one full green week the week before and you can do this!!! Just keep reminding yourself that if you can just get a few weeks under your belt, you will have established a habit and it will make it easier to continue it.

One strategy that I have been trying is starting all my meals later. I am eating breakfast around 9:30 (instead of 7am), lunch around 1 or even 2 and eating our family dinners around 6:30 or sometimes even 7 if we've had after school activities. So far, I am finding that is helping with me not bingeing as much. I seem to have a ton a willpower during the day but my problem has always been finding willpower after dinner. By eating dinner a little later, it seems to be satisfying more of my night time snacking cravings. Just wanted to pass it along as it might be something to try....

Enjoy your day,
Lisa

Lily x

Post by Lily x » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:11 pm

I have a love hate relationship with my scales. Mostly hate. :)

2 pounds really is nothing in the grand scheme of things - you've read Reinhard's post about how his weight fluctuated 10 pounds overnight once, right?

Just keep on keeping on. Judging by what you've written in this thread so far, you're pretty close to getting this right now, I think.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:38 pm

Lily x - Thanks for stopping by and for the much-needed encouragement! :)

Lisa - Yes, I need to remember that reaching a couple weeks of green will make all the difference (I mean, we HAVE done it before, right? :) ) I have been eating my lunch later, too (around 2:00), and that has helped with my munchies that hit after the kids get out of school. I will try to have my supper later, too. Good advice....thanks! :) How have you been doing? The challenge been okay for you, so far?

Saturday and Sunday

I won't even term this weekend as S Days, as I pretty much acted like I was having an S Day all last week (as evidenced by all the RED on my calendar!).

OKAY...........here we go again......on to DAY 1................I........CAN........DO........THIS.............(repeat, repeat, repeat.....)

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:34 am

Hi gk -
Friday and the weekend went pretty well. I'm more nervous about the Monday-Friday bit but I'm going to try my best this week to stick with it. I'm going to just try and remind myself of how good I feel once I've been doing this for a week. The freedom I feel, enjoying my food more, etc.

I'm not going to do a post but I will either private msg you or just reply to your thread to let you know how it's doing! We can do this!!!

Lisa

determined

Post by determined » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:36 pm

gk...Just dropping by to cheer you on. There might be some struggling days on your calendar, but look at how many times you've picked yourself back up, dusted off the crumbs & kept going! Those are the times that keep you moving forward...to me, it sounds as if you are learning maintenance skills...something diets just don't ever teach. You're exercising and working hard - you WILL win this. I believe it!

Here's to a great day ahead...janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:47 pm

gk -
it's day 1 and already i want to cave. but i'm not going to this time!! really want to get through these 21 days...

hope you are finding some willpower too!
good luck,
lisa

gk

Post by gk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:14 am

Day 1 - Monday

Diet: Success

Man, oh MAN, did I have a tug-of-war with my willpower today! So many times I thought about throwing in the towel (on Day ONE), but I took Lisa's advice and reminded myself of how good I'll feel if I just get through this part of it, and I made it through. (Thanks, Lisa!). I pretty much had a continuous chocolate IV drip for the past week, so I think I was in major withdrawal. :shock: :)

Funny, how once I hit supper, it almost felt as if a balloon popped. I was suddenly okay and felt the pressure of the struggle ease away. I guess I just had to show the chocolate who was boss. :wink:

I've now been consistently exercising for 2 1/2 weeks. May be a little early to say this, but I feel as if I'm over the hump with that. I continue to enjoy it and feel it is a solid habit now. Trying some new "tapes" now (I get my exercise videos through Roku - on-line streaming through Netflix). I think I used a few muscles that have been dormant for the past decade or so :lol: . Feels good!

Feeling a little more confident about tomorrow.....

gk

Post by gk » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:19 am

Janie - Thanks for stopping by! So nice to see your encouraging words when I check in! :)

Lisa - Sounds like we're in the same boat.....barely hanging on but determined not to quit! We can do this!! :)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:08 am

I have thrown in the towel before day one on many attempts at various things. :lol:
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

determined

Post by determined » Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:16 am

Success!!!!! Yeah!!!! I think Mondays are the worst. If you can make yesterday green, you can survive today - go for it!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:21 pm

Thank you so much for stopping by my daily check in...God knows I needed some encouragement...I really want to hang in there, I feel like I'm dangling from a thread..but today is a new day..

I do feel like I'm starting over..yik..but shouldn't discount all my green days since June...

Here's to a green day!

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:53 pm

We're in this together!!!!! Day 1 down. How's today going?

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:53 pm

Gk -
GREAT JOB!! Day 1 down and now on to Day 2. Sadly, I'm already planning my dessert but anything that can keep me motivated until Saturday!!

Keep up the great work!
ljk

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:32 am

well, i technically have to start at day 1 again! ugh. nothing major...a few potato chips but seriously why am i struggling so much with this night time snacking? i'm not even hungry!!

hope you had more luck and willpower than me!
ljk

gk

Post by gk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:53 am

Day 2 - Tuesday

I did much better today until about 7:00. By that time, I didn't even feel like eating supper---I just wanted to sit down with a plate of chocolates. But, I didn't. So I'm green today. :)

Looks like I got a little too agressive with my pilates on Monday, as my back is tightening up, and the stiffness is spreading up into my neck. :x This happens every time. Geez Louise, if I take it much slower during exercise, I'll be lying still!!! Oh well.....I will have to curb my impatience and just go at this extremely slowly. I guess that's better than not at all, right?

gk

Post by gk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:54 am

Over43 wrote:I have thrown in the towel before day one on many attempts at various things. :lol:
Good to hear that I'm not alone. :D

gk

Post by gk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:57 am

Thanks Janie and Tobiasmom for stopping by! Looking at this as a "group effort" somehow makes it seem a little less daunting. :)

gk

Post by gk » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:05 am

ljk2009 wrote:well, i technically have to start at day 1 again! ugh. nothing major...a few potato chips but seriously why am i struggling so much with this night time snacking? i'm not even hungry!!

hope you had more luck and willpower than me!
ljk
You are definately not alone in this struggle! I have wavered so much the past couple days. The nighttime munchies are the worst. Nothing better than sitting down and enjoying a nice piece (or bag :shock: ) of chocolate after a long day.

You know, this has always impressed me about you......whenever you do decide to have a snack or treat, you always just have a serving or "just a few" and then STOP. Me? I decide to go off the diet, and I hurl myself headfirst into the nearest bag of chocolate and then head to the freezer for ice cream! I have that mentality "I already had something, I might as well make the most of it". I think it's almost MORE difficult to stop after a couple than refrain completely!

You're doing great. Tomorrow may be Day 1 again, but you are showing alot of control - keep it up!! :)

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:46 am

Thanks gk for your kind words! I am SO happy for you to have two green days in a row. I'm really going to try hard today to keep up with you :)

gk

Post by gk » Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:56 am

Day 3 - Wednesday

Yay! I made it through three consecutive days! I feel like I'm getting back on track.

I had a good day with exercise, too. I tried a new video that combined pilates and yoga....took it easy and stretched during the parts that I thought might aggravate my already aggravated back, and it turned out okay. Still sore, but able to continue.

I love Wednesdays.....it's like reaching the top of the mountain and knowing you just have an easy downhill slide until the weekend.

determined

Post by determined » Thu Sep 29, 2011 2:58 am

SUCCESS!!! Good for you!!!!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:47 am

gk Good job......persistence is key here. It may take 2 attempts, it may take 20.....but in the end you will get there, and you will be glad that you stuck with it.

Hang in there!! We're all here rooting for you.
Thanks for stopping by my post and encouraging me. I should know this from experience as it took me many attempts to quit smoking...too bad I have to pick up food 3 times a day :), cigs I can avoid.

Have a great Thursday!

gk

Post by gk » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:55 am

[b]NoSnacker[/b] wrote:
too bad I have to pick up food 3 times a day :), cigs I can avoid.
I've thought the same thing more than once myself. Other bad habits you just stop completely. There's no way to "stop food". Much harder to control!

gk

Post by gk » Fri Sep 30, 2011 3:23 am

Day 4 - Thursday

Today was so ridiculously different from this Monday, it's hard to believe that they are in the same week! I struggled ALL DAY LONG Monday......Today, I think I had a stray thought about desserts for probably a minute or so and the rest of the day I was completely content. Lovin this turn-around! Even had my dinner really late tonight - 9:00 - and I was totally fine. In fact, I hadn't even thought of food all evening. :!:

I've noticed some things that are really working for me this time around.....

* I'm drinking a glass of water with each meal, one after I exercise (mid-morning) and one when I usually get the munchies (mid-afternoon). This is ALOT for me, considering I used to have about a half glass of water per day and be totally content.

* I think taking the time to exercise every day is really helping with my overall mood. I feel much better. I originally started exercising again because I was feeling so tight and stiff....and so out of shape! Simply, I just wanted to feel healthier again. I think going at it with the approach of just wanting to feel healthy versus, "How long is it gonna take for this stuff to make me look better", has helped me to enjoy it more, and therefore, WANT to do it. In fact, today I was in the middle of yoga, and the thought occurred to me, "I'm enjoying this as much as I would a piece of chocolate." ( :shock: GASP!!! :shock: ) If someone would have told me a month ago that I would be making that statement soon, I would have laughed in their face.

* I'm consistently eating my breakfast at 8:00, my lunch around 1:00 or 1:30, and dinner anywhere from 6:00 to 8:30. That timing really wards off my snacking fits.

* I've found that if I have something hot at lunch, even just a small part of my lunch, I feel more full and content longer.

* And, this is a weird one, but I've found that if I read a health/fitness magazine with my lunch I get over any stray thoughts of maybe having seconds and giving in to the sweets. By the time I'm done with my plate, I've read a success story or two and am inspired once again to stay on track. (Actually, I used to do that long ago, and it worked just as well then, too.)

It sure feels good to be back on track again. Speaking of which......

After looking back over my past No S experiences, I seem to find one common link to falling off the wagon for long periods of time.....it's almost always started by more than 2 S days. Three-day holidays or longer (vacations) are apparently too much for me to handle. Will definately keep that in mind with the upcoming holiday season!

Ooops....got kinda long on this post. Can ya tell I'm just a TAD bit giddy tonight? :D

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:32 pm

WOW! You are doing well.

I also find that well spaced meals, good hydration, exercise, and reading inspirational stories all help. Reading this board helps me to find a common thread with others as well as gives me new ideas to improve. Like you I also read some fitness magazines my husband gets.
Maintenance is progress.

gk

Post by gk » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:37 pm

Weight Loss This Week - 9/30/11 - 0 lbs.

I've decided to start posting my weight loss weekly. Normally, a big fat 0 would frustrate or discourage me after a week of all green, but I'm choosing to look at it this way......

The way I ate candy last weekend (let me tell ya, it was ugly), I wouldn't be surprised if I just lost the pound that I gained then.

But, even if that's not the case, I still feel uplifted this morning. I feel like even though I didn't lose any weight this week, I still lost something just as important - BAD HABITS. A full week of green means I'm moving in the right direction to changing my bad habits to good, healthy habits.....and, of course, that means the weight loss is sure to follow. But even if it doesn't? I'd rather be 20 lbs. overweight and happy with my eating habits than constantly struggling with the emotional upheaval that food addiction brings.

Now, the REAL test.......how will I handle my Friday night? Will I make it to the weekend?????

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:20 pm

Hi gk! Just popping in to say I've been enjoying reading your posts and can identify exactly with what you're saying. It does indeed help to know that we are not alone in this 'journey'.

Before No S I would have written 'struggle' or 'battle' but at the risk of sounding cheesy, life after No S doesn't seem this way at all; I am free from diet plans at last. Every day or so, I would start a new diet plan full of excitement and high hopes, only to give in in frustration and HUNGER by the second day (if I was lucky to make it that far). The constant search for the holy grail i.e. the diet that would work - It got so confusing and OLD!!

I wasted a lot of my youth fretting over my weight and diet plans and could never relax. These days, I am probably at least 20 lbs heavier than I was then but feeling a heck of a lot happier!

Have a great weekend!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:54 pm

gk -
well done!! i am so happy for you. i loved your post that summarized what is working for you. you had some good tips that i will try next week. for me, no s has really forced me to look at what works and what doesn't...and also what triggers me to start snacking or eating when i am clearly not hungry.

i had a green day yesterday and am well on my way to one today. resisted a dessert at lunch today and will be eating my dinner later tonight so as to help resist nighttime munchies.

i'm also starting habitcal again just so i can see a consistent pattern.

good luck....two green weeks practically in a row. GREAT JOB!!!
ljk

gk

Post by gk » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:26 pm

r.jean, NoSRocks - Thanks for stopping by! Appreciate it! :)

ljk - Sounds like you're doing great! Week by week, we'll get there. We've done it before, after all, right? :wink: Thanks for your support!

Day 5 - Friday

I did it! Friday night was little more of a struggle, but I just kept busy and did fine.

Now it's time to enjoy those S's we've been thinking about all week. Have a great weekend everyone!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:25 am

I toooo love your post on how you are feeling and managing to keep your attitude and food in proper perspective.

I will try doing the water as well..I did notice over the last couple weeks my water intake has gone down drastically..usually when I'm binging I don't drink..mmmm.

I have my habitcal all ready for October.

Thanks as well for stopping by my post and encouraging me...

deb

gk

Post by gk » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:12 am

S Days

Well, I always have the intention of eating normal meals and just adding snacks, sweets and seconds casually here and there, but always end up eating unhealthy meals and grazing all day. Oh well. That part will come eventually. Right now, aiming for solid N Days is enough for me.

Got lots of walking in this weekend......I was soccer mom yesterday (zigzagging between three schedules) and today took the kids out to help them find their favorite costumes. We ended up with Darth Vader, a robot, a witch, and the Queen of Hearts. :)

I'm always one who does better when I have a normal, "routine" week ahead. This week's schedule is busy and out of the norm, so I'm hoping I'll be able to continue my streak of good luck.

Here's to another week of GREEN. Good luck everyone!

gk

Post by gk » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:05 am

Day 6 - Monday

I can't believe I stayed on track today. I was a nervous mess today, worrying about something, and usually that's when I ditch the diet and have my sweets. Especially, at the end of the day when I'm more tired and sick of battling my willpower. Yay! It IS possible! :D

I also was way too busy to exercise, but I pushed the guilt aside and considered it a priority that is not negotiable. I did a new video - "cardio pilates" that was my most vigorous yet. My back is still tight but tolerable enough to push forward.

I did it!! :D

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:03 am

Hoorayyyy.... I know how exciting it is to have a green day after struggles.

I finally did it after 2+ weeks of binging each night...last night I kept thinking I can do this I need to stuff my face, with something, anything...then I thought, is stuffing going to help me emotionally "NO", and will only make me feel terrible as I have been feeling. Once I stopped and said I know my life is a mess but stuffing myself is not going to help either.

Excited for a new day!

Let's get another green!

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 am

Congrats GK and No Snacker :)
I also had a green day yesterday and am feeling pretty good this time around. I am going to keep track on Habitcal for the month and I also signed up for the October challenge.

Here's to a green Tuesday! Good luck :)
Lisa

gk

Post by gk » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:19 am

Great job Nosnacker and Ljk!! Keep it up! :D

Day 7 - Tuesday

Today was a STRUGGLE. Amazing how it changes from day to day. The emotional tug of war of wanting to binge and wanting to stay green was actually physically exhausting!

At one point, I was actually holding a piece of candy, about to unwrap it, when I stepped back and said "NO", and put it away. Every time I reached for something, I took a second to think about how I would feel five minutes from now.

I was even thinking about making my day red at 9:00 p.m.!!!! That would have really made me mad at myself tomorrow, so I decided to brush my teeth, log in here and then sit down with a good book instead.

Hopefully, tomorrow will be better!

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:32 am

I totally hear ya on the struggles...I posted on our 30 day challenge on how much of a struggle my green was yesterday....

You did the right thing, unfortunately it is a hard won battle for us bingers!

And being a perfectionist..one piece of extra anything, snack, etc. can send us off and running. At least I think you struggle as I do...

But I think for the most part it is emotional eating that starts it and we need to come up with our personal game plans...most of the time I don't fight the thoughts...most of the time I turn off my thoughts and dive into the food...

I guess we are sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.

Keep up the great fight...until we can not turn to food for our comfort it will be a battle..but one that can be won, I'm convinced of it.

have a great day,
deb

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:05 am

Great job GK!! And No Snacker :)

I was green yesterday too and it was a big struggle!! I just keep telling myself I will have my sweets but I just have to wait a few days and then I will really be able to enjoy them without the guilt I always seem to feel.

Good luck today!

nlb

Post by nlb » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi gk! Skimmed through your posts. I do some sort of workout everyday even if it's just walking or golf or bike or 2/3 and the 1 day I did Pilates I dang near died the next day. It was Stott Pilates for Golf and in no way did I feel I was overdoing it - til the next day. Oh, and I had a cookie in my hand today - managed to put it back. And watch, in 3 days I won't want it.
You're doing great!
nlb

gk

Post by gk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:39 am

NoSnacker wrote:And being a perfectionist..one piece of extra anything, snack, etc. can send us off and running. At least I think you struggle as I do...

But I think for the most part it is emotional eating that starts it and we need to come up with our personal game plans...most of the time I don't fight the thoughts...most of the time I turn off my thoughts and dive into the food...

I guess we are sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.
Thanks for your support! Yes, it sounds like we are on the same page as far as binging goes.....most of the time, I know how a binge will make me feel but I guess I want that short-lived "release", and I dive in anyway.

Sometimes I almost feel as if I'm literally an addict....."if I could just have one fix (chocolate), I'd be okay." I mean, isn't that the behavior of an addict???? I guess that's why this is not an easy win.....this has been my behavior for over 25 years, so I guess it'll take more than a couple months to correct it. :wink: I need to remember patience.....

gk

Post by gk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:44 am

ljk2009 wrote:I was green yesterday too and it was a big struggle!! I just keep telling myself I will have my sweets but I just have to wait a few days and then I will really be able to enjoy them without the guilt I always seem to feel.
Great job! :) I've been trying to remind myself of that as well.....just a few more days......sweets are SO much more enjoyable when there's no guilt involved. What's funny is usually when the S day finally arrives, I don't pounce on the sweets. THEN, I'm okay to wait until later in the day and have a little more willpower. Go figure. :roll:

Keep up the great work!

gk

Post by gk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:49 am

nlb wrote:Hi gk! Skimmed through your posts. I do some sort of workout everyday even if it's just walking or golf or bike or 2/3 and the 1 day I did Pilates I dang near died the next day. It was Stott Pilates for Golf and in no way did I feel I was overdoing it - til the next day. Oh, and I had a cookie in my hand today - managed to put it back. And watch, in 3 days I won't want it.
You're doing great!
nlb
Thanks for stopping by and for the encouragment! Yeah, I used to think that pilates didn't seem like enough of a workout, but after a few videos I've found that looks can be decieving....it'll really work those muscles!

Good job on resisting that cookie - that can take some real willpower! :)

gk

Post by gk » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:06 am

Day 8 - Wednesday

JEESH......I feel like I'm AGING this week. It occurred to me that this is a repeat occurrence.......if I have an all-green week one week, the next week is HARD and I usually end up caving, resulting in mostly a red week. I'm on Day 8 of my 21-day challenge.....I haven't made it past 8 for a VERY long time. We'll see how it goes.

I hopped on to to browse the bulletin board a couple of times today when I was considering chucking the whole thing and inhaling the kitchen. Worked like a charm.....man, I love this place. :D

I went to start up the Roku and get some pilates in, but Netflix "wasn't currently working". ( :shock: GASP!!) I actually felt panicked that I wouldn't get my workout in. (Okay, this is a miracle right here because in the past if that would've happened, I would've instantly been elated with happiness that I didn't have to exercise.) So, I considered that reaction a little victory on my part.

Well, I didn't want to skip exercise today (and put a red on my calendar!), so I dug out the ONE old pilates DVD I still have from eons ago and did that. It wasn't any good (ever find that if you do a video from years ago, it suddenly seems cheesy?), but at least I got my exercise in for the day. Will have to work on replenishing my video supply. :)

Over the hump......cannot WAIT until the weekend. I feel like I'm in withdrawal or something. Where is my willpower from last week, hmmmm??!?!!?

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:59 am

GREAT JOB GK!! You are almost there....keep it up!

I had a minor slip up yesterday so I can't claim the green. It was a few sun chips and a very small handful of cereal after a dinner with friends (think it was the alcohol weakening my willpower!)

The only positive is usually I totally binge in that situation and I stopped and just went to bed so I feel pretty good this morning. I am just going to mark it and move on.

Keep up your good work....one of us needs an ALL GREEN week and it's not going be me this week ;)

gk

Post by gk » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:28 am

ljk2009 wrote:I had a minor slip up yesterday so I can't claim the green. It was a few sun chips and a very small handful of cereal after a dinner with friends (think it was the alcohol weakening my willpower!)

The only positive is usually I totally binge in that situation and I stopped and just went to bed so I feel pretty good this morning. I am just going to mark it and move on.
Once again you amaze me with just a few tastes of something and then stop.

Way to go! Keep up the great work! :)

gk

Post by gk » Fri Oct 07, 2011 2:36 am

Day 9 - Thursday

I'm in unchartered territory now (for this year anyway). Haven't made it this far without a string of reds. However, I'm not having fun anymore.....I'm grumpy because I want some sweets, and am basically just limping through the final hours with a scowl on my face. :x Yes, I'm having one of my "food temper tantrums" again. It's like giving up smoking......after awhile you just feel like you're a string that's pulled so tight you're gonna snap. (Man, I have it bad, don't I?)

I ALMOST said "the heck with it" and had a big ole' bowl of chocolate ice cream tonight, BUT, I would've been kicking myself like crazy tomorrow if I caved this late in the week, not to mention that late in the day (9 p.m.). SOOOO....I'm going to make it through this week with ALL Greens if it kills me!! (And at this point, it feels as if it might!!) :shock:

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:32 am

Sounds like you made it!!! Good for you...

It so stinks when those darn items call us. I bought some ice cream thinking I'll have it on the weekend, well...I didn't, I ended up eating 2 of them last night..feeling bad about it this morning..

I hope you were able to wake up feeling great.

Today is Friday and I plan on waking up tomorrow feeling great...all is not lost.

Have a great Friday!

gk

Post by gk » Fri Oct 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Thanks NoSnacker for stopping by! You're support is very much appreciated! :)

Well, I'm eating a chocolate poptart as we speak, so that pretty much tells you that my Friday is a FAIL. After balancing on my diet tightrope all week and then waking up to find that I actually gained a pound despite my efforts this week, I pretty much lost my willpower and said, "the heck with it!". Funny, how it felt good to give in to that urge I've had all week, but the actual taste of the sweet wasn't that great. I think it was tainted with my guilt of giving in a day early.

Such irony......I'm bummed because I'm gaining weight, so what do I do? EAT! Yeah, THAT'LL help!!!

You know, people have told me before that once you turn 40 everything changes (as far as your body) and boy were they right! I used to get by with my binges and not gain a ton of weight and here I am........at my highest weight EVER. :oops: I've gained 4 lbs. in the past month!!! This is going in the wrong direction here!!! I've heard of people initially gaining on this diet when they're getting their three-meal habit down, but unforunately, I don't have that luxury.....unless I want to go out and buy new clothes (which I do NOT).

In the past, I've been able to have FULL plates at lunch and dinner to get through the week, and still lose weight. Apparently, that approach didn't work this time. SOO....I guess my plan next week is to get rid of my "Jenga-type" dinner plates and learn how to control my portions.

Lisa - I don't know if you're still doing your 21-day challenge, but I think I'm going to have to stop counting my days. As I experienced before, I'm finding too much frustration in starting over on Day 1 so many times (at least I made it to 9 though, this time! :) ). I think I'll just stick to Success or Fail and continue the October Challenge on the Main Discussion Board.

Have a great weekend everyone! I'll be back on Monday to try it yet AGAIN!!! :)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:33 pm

At 55 I can sympathize with the slowing metabolism. That is why I am so committed to exercise. I have read that a middle aged person needs to exercise 1 hour a day just to maintain or they need to reduce what they eat. That of course is a statistic geared toward the average person maintaining..not toward people who need to lose. I love to eat too much to rely on eating habits alone.

That said, I really need to focus a little more on food discipline. I have been pretty indulgent for several months. Exercise has saved me, but that can only go so far.

PS: I rarely make it 21 days without a red so I have never worried about the 21 day challenge. Maybe you could focus on reducing the number of red days each month? It looks like you are headed the right direction with fewer reds and more exercise. Maybe you just need to bring it all together in your head to make your goals more easily attainable. Success breeds success.

I hope that did not seem too "preachy" or know it all because everyone is so different and you have to do what works for you.
Maintenance is progress.

moderatemeals

Post by moderatemeals » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:49 pm

gk -
i completely agree with scrapping the 21 day challenge. i only made it two days anyway!! i think it is much healthy to just track on habitcal and try and reduce the reds. the only thing i really struggle with is if i have a red day or two during the week, i don't have the guilt-free enjoyment of my S on weekends. i'm not really sure how to deal with that because that is the point of me doing this! but, overall, my eating habits have DRAMATICALLY improved ever since i started No S and even though I can't seem to have all green weeks, i at least aim for that and it has really curbed my bingeing and mindless eating.

good luck to you and i'll be checking in on the boards now and again!
ljk

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:19 am

I like the idea of just keeping the red's to a bare minimal using the habitcal....I find it a valuable tool.

I like the October challenge which regardless we are all marking our reds/greens, but I don't think it is geared towards who can do it but more or less support each other.

I'm 54 and boy let me tell ya, years ago I could drop 3lbs a week without much struggle. I'm up to the weight I started, maybe more. But it is not due to the No S plan but my binging.

I do have smaller plates and love them..just bought a couple of cute ones as well.

Funny I bought 9 inch plates, then saw a cute 8 inch and man is that one too small to have any mindful impact so I guess those will be my sandwich plates :).

It truly is a struggle, but we can do it...

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Oct 09, 2011 3:39 pm

I want to say that gaining one pound isn't worth obsessing over. Don't let that scale trip you up.

You really are on the right path, aren't you?

gk

Post by gk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:53 am

r.jean wrote:At 55 I can sympathize with the slowing metabolism. That is why I am so committed to exercise. I have read that a middle aged person needs to exercise 1 hour a day just to maintain or they need to reduce what they eat. That of course is a statistic geared toward the average person maintaining..not toward people who need to lose. I love to eat too much to rely on eating habits alone.

That said, I really need to focus a little more on food discipline. I have been pretty indulgent for several months. Exercise has saved me, but that can only go so far.

PS: I rarely make it 21 days without a red so I have never worried about the 21 day challenge. Maybe you could focus on reducing the number of red days each month? It looks like you are headed the right direction with fewer reds and more exercise. Maybe you just need to bring it all together in your head to make your goals more easily attainable. Success breeds success.
Thanks so much for your post. I've heard the same about exercise.....I guess that's part of the reason I broke down and started up again. I'm to the age where it's not an option. I also love food too much to rely on diet alone.

Also, thanks for the good advice on my red/green days. Makes sense to me!

gk

Post by gk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:58 am

ljk2009 wrote:gk -
i completely agree with scrapping the 21 day challenge. i only made it two days anyway!! i think it is much healthy to just track on habitcal and try and reduce the reds. the only thing i really struggle with is if i have a red day or two during the week, i don't have the guilt-free enjoyment of my S on weekends. i'm not really sure how to deal with that because that is the point of me doing this! but, overall, my eating habits have DRAMATICALLY improved ever since i started No S and even though I can't seem to have all green weeks, i at least aim for that and it has really curbed my bingeing and mindless eating.

good luck to you and i'll be checking in on the boards now and again!
ljk
Thanks for stopping in. :) Yeah, I think I'll just think of it as "trying to reduce the red days" as well. Gives you structure but doesn't stress you out as much, I think.

Good to hear that your eating habits are improving. I think decreasing bingeing and mindless eating is definately considered a goal achieved, even if red days are still part of the week. Great job! :)

gk

Post by gk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:06 am

Thanks NoSnacker for stopping by! I like the October challenge as well. I'll take all the support I can get. :)

One of my biggest problems is emotional eating and bingeing....always has been. If I can just somehow get that figured out, I'm home-free. But, it's a habit that I've had since I was a teenager, so it's gonna be a hard one to control. However, I have no doubt that if any diet will help me with it, it's No S. May take awhile, but we'll get there. :)

gk

Post by gk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:11 am

Who Me? wrote:I want to say that gaining one pound isn't worth obsessing over. Don't let that scale trip you up.
Actually, it's not the one pound that I'm obsessing/fretting over. It's the 25 pounds that I've gained over the past three years that's getting me nervous. Not to mention the alarming rate at which it's increasing lately. You'd think that would curb my bingeing lately, but it is actually making it worse! Alotta logic there, eh? :roll:

Oh well....slow but sure, I'll figure this out. :)

gk

Post by gk » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:17 am

Monday

Woke up with absolutely no desire to do No S. Didn't even attempt to struggle with it today.

Sometimes I'm just so sick of focusing on this, ya know? I still think No S is awesome.....just sometimes wish I didn't have this constant battle with food hanging over me. So today.....I just didn't care.