sporkfancier's daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

sporkfancier

sporkfancier's daily check-in

Post by sporkfancier » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:48 pm

Day 1: SUCCESS.

I drank a can of diet coke with lime (crack in a can) in the morning, and a 591 ml bottle in the evening. In fairness, i hadn't yet discovered no-s in the morning, and the evening was a deacon's meeting that had "long & boring" written all over it. At the meeting one of the folks brought home-made chocolate chip cookies. Very, very tempted, but I knew that posting here about how I didn't have one would make me feel better than actually having one.

I didn't shovel-glove, mostly because I only picked up a sledge in the late afternoon and had the meeting. That said, I did some urban rangering while trying to solve a problem I'm having with the game I'm building. It wasn't terribly long, simply because it was frigid outside, but it was good.
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

david

Post by david » Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:32 pm

sporkfancier,

Congrats on the cookie turn-back maneuver!

David

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:51 pm

Hey Sporky!

I love your username, by the way. I can definately understand why sporks are fanciable if you're partial to certain types of junk food 8)

Good job turning down those cookies. Each little thing builds up to a better overall thing.

Welcome to NoS and I hope you sucessfully break that Diet Coke with Lime habit of yours.

All the best,
C.
CaroleJo

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Wed Feb 01, 2006 3:48 pm

DAY 2: SUCCESS with some funny stuff.

Basically, the funny stuff was me taking a few sips of Kool-Aid at supper before realizing "HEY! This is sweet stuff." I'm giving myself a pass on that one though. Also, one 591ml bottle of Diet Coke with Lime during class--it helps keep me focused so I don't bore my students. That said, I still want to wean it off.

I walked to and from the college from my other job, urban ranger style (about 2.5 kms round trip, which is over 1.5 miles for you yankees). Still no shovelglove, though. Gotta bear down and do it!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:36 pm

Hey Spork! Walking is mighty good too.... I need to start that really soon!
What subject do you teach?
Also, is that your picture on the avatar?
Very pretty!

Good for you on realizing the Kool aide is sugar! LOL...
You will start noticing all the stuff you consume much more consciously now.. That's the first step... Drink as much Koolaide as you want on S days...
Diet coke isn't restricted by NoS, but my personal opinion is that you are much better off having juice or water or a seltzer with lime...
Diet products are unhealthy for our bodies and they mess up your whole perception of "what is sweet" in your brain...
By cutting down on sugar stuff, you will be surprised at how much less of it you will crave overall... And that happens pretty rapidly.. give it a week..

I'm sure you wouldn't bore anyone as a professor.. You seem very fun!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:45 pm

gratefuldeb67 wrote: What subject do you teach?
Also, is that your picture on the avatar?
Very pretty!
Deb, I teach freshman English. It's mostly communications/writing, that sort of thing. This term I'm teaching Engineers, which I haven't done before. They're a little more willing to follow me down rabbit trails, which is actually not a good thing, because I tend to follow funny or interesting trains of thought rather farther than I should.

As to the avatar, no, that isn't me, I'm a fella (hence the sig). The two gals in the picture are Tegan and Sara Quinn (who go by Tegan and Sara), singer-songwriter twins from a city near mine. My second daughter is named Tegan, after them.
gratefuldeb67 wrote: Diet coke isn't restricted by NoS, but my personal opinion is that you are much better off having juice or water or a seltzer with lime...
Diet products are unhealthy for our bodies and they mess up your whole perception of "what is sweet" in your brain...
By cutting down on sugar stuff, you will be surprised at how much less of it you will crave overall... And that happens pretty rapidly.. give it a week..
Yeah, I'm starting to realize that the first 3 weeks will be much easier to get through if I don't obsess about drinking diet cola. I actually don't like "the real thing" as much, so it makes sense to eventually move the diet drink to my S days; that said, I need to make it to day 21 first. Once I'm there, I'll look to wean off the aspartame, as I agree about the "sweet brain" point. Basically, I'm realizing that I need to make base hits, before I hit home runs--more important to eat proper portions thrice daily and avoid sugar than to revolutionize all my habits at once.

It's nice to have this community. More than once I've thought, "Can't eat that (now), because I'll have to post a big FAILURE on the message board." Also, I shovelgloved (or is it shovelglave?) for the first time today--hooray!

Cam

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 10:57 pm

Reinhard has to create a whole new language for Shovelglove use!
I think you are right.. It is Shovelglave! LOL....
I don't know... Verbing is so popular now.. It's hard to really remember what is a real verb... LOL..

That signature is pretty compelling Cam...
You are giving new meaning to Shovel"glove"s... LOL..
It would be interesting to see what useful movements mean to you! :P

Keep on truckin...
Peace and Love,
Deb

(Who will now be paranoid that you will be grading all my runon sentences and lack of grammatical correctness... :shock: )

david

Post by david » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:04 pm

Cam,

How did the Shovelglove-erating go?

David

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:38 pm

DAY 3: SUCCESS, though my supper meal was not at all healthy (someone took our kids so we went to a movie).

Also, first day of shovelgloving went terrifically, though "Churn the Butter" kicked my butt with only 9 reps on either side. Weak shoulders, I guess. I only did twelve minutes, and I'm glad of it today, since I'm sore enough, thanks very much. I am looking forward to another go tonight.

And Deb, you needn't worry about me correcting your sentences... unless you join my class.

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:26 pm

DAY 4: SUCCESS

It was a toughie, too, because my wife popped some corn while we watched the hockey game. Didn't shovel glove, but I did urban range for 2.5 kms. I was actually fairly sore throughout my upper body, so I may not do it tomorrow either. I think this week I'll probably s-glove on Saturday, give myself Sunday off, then try to do it every weekday henceforth; that way I'll get those first two sore days out of the way, then move on to a more consistent routine.
Last edited by sporkfancier on Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Sat Feb 04, 2006 1:28 pm

DAY 5: SUCCESS

I popped in a mint before a client meeting without even thinking about it. Other than that, doing okay. Went to the family's place for cake after supper and I refrained. :D

I'm going to make Saturday an N-day so that I can make Monday an S-day--it is a special day, because I'm going to a hockey game, but I don't want to make too many days s-days so early on.

Also, I didn't shovelglove, but I did a moderate amount of urban ranging and played a vigourous hour of squash.
Last edited by sporkfancier on Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:45 am

DAY 6: SUCCESS

As I mentioned, I made today an N-day in anticipation of Monday's hockey game.

Also shovelgloved today, which was satisfyingly debilitating. Looking forward to pancakes with syrup tomorrow morning!

sporkfancier

Quick check-in

Post by sporkfancier » Thu Feb 09, 2006 3:53 pm

DAY 7: S-DAY.
DAY 8: S-DAY.
DAY 9: SUCCESS.
DAY 10: SUCCESS. Though I did have a small piece of roast before supper--old habits die hard.

I didn't shovelglove on days 9 or 10, and not because I didn't want to! I didn't have time on either of those days--up at 6:20, catch the bus at 6:45, and on both days the evenings were full. I did urban ranger though. Anyway, I need to make shugging a priority for the rest of the week, especially because my Saturday session didn't leave me crazy sore the next day.

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:24 am

DAY 11: SUCCESS
DAY 12: SUCCESS, though I had a little syrup at breakfast.
DAY 13: S-DAY
DAY 14: S-DAY

No shovelgloving this week!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:22 am

Hi Sporkmeister!
LOL..
So, I bet you get some pretty excellent maple syrup where you live!
Hope you enjoyed your pancakes this weekend!
NoS makes simple pleasures so much more pleasurable than they were before... The plan, and the enjoyment it brings, is more than the sum of it's parts.
I never enjoyed eating a chocolate chip cookie as much before as I do now! LOL..

Peace and Love,
8) Deb