Embracing Moderation

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

LoriLifts

Embracing Moderation

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:16 pm

Moderation ain't easy.

I should know, I've been an off and on No S'er for years. On and off and on and off.

I'm turning 55 years old next April. I don't want to spend the next 55 years (yeah I know, that will make me 110 years old, I'm cautiously optimistic) bouncing from one extreme diet to another.

This type A gal is ready to enjoy life in the moderation lane.
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:26 am

I'm in a hotel room in Denver tonight. Tomorrow morning I'm doing the half marathon.

I used to do full marathons, over 30 in total. I completed one in February, since then I've only been doing half marathons. I used to mostly run, now I mostly walk.

I'm trying to incorporate moderation in all aspects of my life.

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:27 am

Wow, good for you!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:58 pm

I need to stop browsing books on Amazon.com.

Especially the ones about diets.

I began ordering a couple but stopped before I hit the "confirm purchase" button.

Moderation is tough. But being on the diet roller coaster is tougher.

I had my annual physical this morning, complete with the (yuck) blood draw. I'll get my results in a couple of days. If my internal parts are in good shape, I'm not going to concern myself with having a weight goal. I'll focus on the 3 S's and see where my weight settles. If there's a problem with my numbers, then I'll re-evaluate.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Oct 15, 2011 8:01 pm

Who Me? (I like your name)
Thanks for stopping in... :)

Over43

Post by Over43 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:40 am

Welcome back. Hope the 1/2 was excellent.

There is nothing wrong with walking.
Bacon is the gateway meat. - Anthony Bourdain
You pale in comparison to Fox Mulder. - The Smoking Man

I made myself be hungry, then I would get hungrier. - Frank Zane Mr. Olympia '77, '78, '79

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:52 am

Over43..It's good to see you're still here! Looks like a lot of folks are still around.

My blog keeps re-inventing itself, I think I started my first one back in 2009. Even though I sometimes have taken a "hiatus" from No S, I never stay away for very long.

It feels good to be back into the No S community.

PS..I agree..walking rocks!

determined

Post by determined » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:41 pm

I hope your 1/2 marathon was great! I admire anyone who can do that.

I've been around off & on for a few years too. I ended up changing my username this time just to get a clean start.

I hope your blood work comes back terrific....

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi Janie,

I almost changed my username too. I've been off and on No S so much that it's kind of embarrassing! It's been over 3 years and I still haven't been able to complete a 21 day vanilla S challenge!

The important thing is that we're back.

The half marathon in Denver was terrific. Next weekend I head to St Louis for another race.

Have a great day :)

determined

Post by determined » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:06 pm

I think we should agree not to be embarrassed...we're here! And we're working on our health...that's a great thing. Good for you on another race coming up! I found out that there's a Master Swim class at the "Y" where I do my laps, and they have meets there. But I'm definitely not ready for that!

Well done!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:27 pm

We just got home from a weekend at a marathon/ half marathon/5k. I always do the 5k because I do not want to make everyone wait for me. When you said that you walk a lot of your half, I started thinking maybe I should just do it no matter what. I usually do about 11 min miles on a 5k and 12 to 13 min miles on a 5 mile or 10 k.

(The times for the half today for others ranged from 1:43 to 2:15. I figure it would take me at least 3 hours.)

By the way, I was 55 last April.

Thanks for the inspiration.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Oct 23, 2011 1:03 am

janie...thanks for stopping by!
r.jean..you can do a half marathon, if I can do it, anybody can!

I'm in St Louis getting ready to do the marathon tomorrow. The plan is to maintain a "moderate" pace and enjoy the scenery. My hotel is across the street from Busch Stadium, the whole city has baseball fever! Go Cardinals!

I received my blood work results. Very happy to report that my insides seem to be doing well. I still would like to lose a couple pounds but I'm not going to stress about it. I'm going to concentrate on turning the No S rules into habits and see where my weight ends up.

Time to go to bed, I've got lots of miles to cover in the morning...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:32 am

St Louis marathon..done!

Coming up..the Los Angeles half marathon next Sunday.

Sticking to No S...not so much. I am re-reading the book and that's a good start.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:13 pm

Thanks to a fellow No S'er ( thank you Imogen Morley), I've read the article that perfectly fits my personality..

http://www.psychologytoday.com/collecti ... cks-treats

Time to face reality, I'm a "daily small dessert" kind of gal and I like it!

determined

Post by determined » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:11 pm

Congrats on completing the St. Louis marathon!!! Well done...

janie
Winnie the Pooh

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:42 pm

Thanks Janie!

If it's Saturday, that means I must be in a hotel room, less than 24 hours from another race.

This time it's the Los Angeles half marathon.

Time to carbo load!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Oct 30, 2011 2:02 am

After much (about 3 years) of experimenting, I've found the best way for me to do No S...

-No Snacks
-No Seconds
-No more than 1 small sweet a day

Except on days that start with S

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Nov 03, 2011 2:07 am

Los Angeles half marathon..done!
November HabitCal..created and being used!

I'm off to a good start for the month.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:40 pm

My November plan is to strengthen the No Snacks habit.

Thanks to No S, I was able to kick my "have a snack in the evening" habit. Unfortunately, I'm still wrestling with my "have a snack at 4pm" habit. Nothing good ever goes in my mouth at 4pm, yet I do it everyday. When I conquer this habit, the No Snacking rule will be firmly in place.

It's time to kick my "have a snack at 4pm" habit to the curb, once and for all.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:00 pm

Did I mention that I signed up for a 50 mile race?

50 miles doesn't seem very moderate, I'll be mostly walking instead of running. There's the moderate part of the equation! I couldn't resist this race, it falls on the weekend of my 55th birthday. And it's in Las Vegas!

I love doing races (I like collecting the shiny medals). But I hate training. My plan is to use races as training for the 50. Next weekend I'll be in San Antonio for the marathon.

I'm ready for tomorrow's first snack free N day. Bring it on!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:12 am

First day of no snacks was a success!

My nemesis is the 4pm snack. It's had quite a hold on me for a long time. I decided to use a strategy that worked to conquer my evening snacks. After dinner I would immediately brush my teeth. This was my signal that food was done for the day.

Today I tried brushing my teeth at 4pm. I wasn't sure this would work, if it didn't, at least my teeth were clean!

Today, it worked. After I brushed my teeth, I didn't have the 4pm snack monkey on my back. I was able to wait to eat until dinnertime.

I'm determined to break the snack habit this month. In December I'll work on No Seconds.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:20 pm

I am the queen of baby steps.

November is the month of No Snacks. This week my goal is 2 days of no snacks, next week will be 3, and so on until I'm at 5 N days of no snacks.

Next month I'm using the same strategy to eliminate No Seconds. In January I'll tackle No Sweets.

Teeny tiny baby steps...

~hf

Post by ~hf » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:34 pm

Upping the ante a little every day, great idea!
SW 236.4
10/26/11 restart date
1st goal 21 day club !accomplished! 11/24/11
2nd goal 10% loss
3rd goal...????

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Hi hf :)

I must be the smallest stepping No S'er in the group!

Next week the plan is at least 3 days of No Snacks.

Tomorrow I'm flying to San Antonio. Sunday is my 35th marathon!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:19 pm

San Antonio marathon... Very difficult...hot and humid, but got it done.

No Snacking (for 3 days this week)..Very difficult,,it's 4pm which is my trigger time, but getting it done. Today is the second no snacking day, one more and I'll complete my goal for the week.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:01 am

Still heading to vanilla s using baby steps.

I tweaked my original plan, at the risk of sounding ADD, I won't talk too much about it. I'll just say that if all goes according to schedule (and I'm confident that it will), I should be able to be Vanilla S in December. I would love to head into 2012 completing the 21 day challenge.

I'm looking forward to spending the next couple weekends at home. My next race is a half marathon in Las Vegas, at the beginning of December. Until then, I plan on spending some quality time with my couch, my husband and my overweight cat!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:57 am

Sometimes my thoughts are a mystery to me.

I'm committed to the No S lifestyle. I plan to do it the rest of my (hopefully I'll live to be 120) years. I may not be vanilla S yet but I'm taking the steps needed to get there.

But yet..I still..feel the urge to do a "detox" or eliminate wheat or go paleo, etc. Fortunately, my good sense is overriding my impulsive thinking. It's taking me over a month to baby step to vanilla s. If I tried to cut wheat from my diet, I wouldn't last 3 days! I'd end up over eating all the wheat products I cut out. Then I'd feel regret over leaving No S and trying another fad diet.

I will resist the "next new diet" and stick with what works in the long run.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:30 pm

Thanksgiving is my favorite S day of the year!

The refrigeration is full of holiday goodness. The weather is perfect, sunny and in the high 50's. My husband and I are going for a long afternoon hike before dinner.

Until then, I'll surf the web and eat some coffeecake.

Life is good!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:36 pm

Talk about S days gone wild! Thanksgiving was epic!

The good news is that I don't enjoy the "stuffed to the top" feeling anymore. I never really enjoyed it, I guess before No S, I could tolerate it better.

Usually I finish dinner before 6:30. I've kicked the evening snack habit so dinner is the last food before bedtime. Last night I was eating pecan pie at 9pm, catching up on the last couple weeks of The Biggest Loser ( I can appreciate the irony).

Eating that late at night messed up my sleep. I tossed and turned for hours. I was thirsty from the carbfest and got up to drink water. Then I had to get up several times to get rid of all the extra water I was drinking. I was a mess!

Happily I'm back to my N days habits. I'm also happy that Thanksgiving is once a year!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:09 pm

Just read this post on Zen Habits. Very timely for the day after Thanksgiving..

Get Back on Track

Post written by Leo Babauta.

People trying to get healthy and fit all around the country are feeling guilty today after indulging way too much on Thanksgiving — and if you’re outside the U.S., you’ve had this experience on holidays of your own.

You had a great feast, but you feel like you overdid it. And you feel guilty as hell, and you feel like crap.

Toss all those feelings out. And get the hell off your ass and back on track.

I indulge myself nearly every holiday, and feel guilty too — for about a minute. Then I realize that guilt does nothing to get me fitter. I realize the only thing that will get me fitter is eating healthy today — yesterday doesn’t matter — and being active and working out today.

Here’s why yesterday doesn’t matter: one day of overeating makes almost no difference over the long term. And the long term is what really matters, isn’t it? Are we trying to be healthy and fit on one day, or for a lifetime? Over a lifetime, one day means nothing, but what you do on the vast majority of days is what counts.

And so stop the guilt-fest, stop the worrying, and start eating right. Today. Start working out … today.

If you’ve been doing great, that one day was just a day of fun, and you deserve it. Get back on track, and you’ll be great.

If you haven’t been doing great, and you overdid it, you should now have more than enough fuel to start exercising today. Go for a walk, and enjoy the outdoors. Play a sport with family. Do some pushups, squats and lunges instead of sitting around all day. It doesn’t matter what you do, but start moving.

Yesterday came and went, and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did. Today, you will rock. Today, you are the master of your fitness.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:09 pm

I've been reading an interesting blog...www.fit2fat2fit.com.

This guy is a personal trainer who has always been in shape. His overweight clients would tell him that he doesn't know what it's like to workout and be heavy. He doesn't understand the struggles they have to lose weight.

His solution? He stopped exercising and planned on gaining 70 lbs in 6 months. Then he would spend 6 months losing it.

He reached his "goal" of gaining 70 lbs at the beginning of November. His before and after photos show his physical expansion. Now he's working on losing it. I'm only on week 2 of his weight gain, it's very interesting to read about someone who was very structured in his eating to become a couch potato,eating whatever he wants.

PS...he eats lots of snacks, sweets and seconds!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed Nov 30, 2011 2:51 am

Still working my baby steps. I'm up to Vanilla S from 7-3 on N days.

If I continue with my plan, I'll be able to tackle a 21 day vanilla s challenge in December.

I'm getting ready for another race. Next weekend I'll be in Las Vegas for a half marathon.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:26 pm

So what have I been up to since my last post?

Experimenting. Not with different diets, I'm No S lifer. I've been experimenting with foods/schedules/gadgets to make my N days easier.

For example, I've been adding more protein to breakfast. I bought an electric egg cooker that rocks! I can have perfectly cooked hard boiled eggs in a snap. I've been packing them in my cooler for breakfast. I'm also drinking smoothies with added protein. Protein with breakfast seems to be keeping my "I want something sweet" thoughts away.

Besides the egg cooker, I've been using a bento box for lunch. I like the little compartments, it would be hard to squish a cookie in them.

My big purchase was a sous vide machine. I'm going to do more at home cooking, eating out is a trigger for sweets and seconds. I haven't used it yet, my plan is to make lots of salmon and fish on Sunday, then eat it during the week.

I also experimented with baby stepping up to vanilla s. I'm confident that I have enough success under my belt to do a 21 day challenge.

I'm temped to do a 21 day challenge on Dec 26, however, I think I'll wait a week. I'll be doing another crazy race on Dec 31. It's a 24 hour event on a 1.05 mile track. Basically, you do as many miles as you want, my goal is 50 miles in 24 hours. Isn't this blog called "Embracing Moderation"? Maybe 50 miles is moderate, I could be doing 100 miles!

Happy Holidays to my No S friends...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Holy crap, it's Christmas! 2011 flew by!

2012 will be my 3 year anniversary on this site. I remember that about this time in 2007, I was looking at all the new "diet" books on Amazon. I was a hobby dieter, jumping from one "hot new trend" to the next. My average time on a diet was about 2 weeks, if I lost a couple pounds I would gain them back when the diet was abandoned.

So there I was, looking at all the 2007 diet books. I scroll to The No S Diet book. It was only available for pre-order, I think it was being published in March of 2008.

Since I'm an immediate gratification type of gal, I usually don't even read the descriptions of pre-order books. But this time I did. I liked the simple white book cover. I liked that the whole diet was explained before you even opened the book. I liked that Reinhard wasn't a doctor or a weight specialist. Just an guy who succeeded in losing weight and wanted to share what worked for him. He didn't pad the book with recipes or a sample 21 day food plan. Straight forward and no-nonsense.

I pre-ordered the book. It arrived when it was published. Read it in one day. Became a member of the No S community. And here I am, 3 years later.

I wish I could say that I've been strictly No S for the past 3 years. That hasn't been the case. I've veered off into "diet book" land. Although this site is always bookmarked, there have been times when I've been gone for a month or so. My No S book is always on my bed stand but sometimes it's been buried beneath other "diet" books.

But the good news? I always come back. It may take a month (or 2 or 3) but I'm always back to No S. Even my half a$$ed attempts at No S has broken my nighttime snack habit. Even when I'm not on the plan, I'm aware of N days and S days.

I feel like 2012 could finally be my No S year. I know better than to make any big pronouncements or resolutions. No matter what, I know I'll keep moving forward.

Let's see what happens...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:45 am

50 miles in 24 hours....done!

It wasn't pretty but I completed my goal. Round and round a 1.05 mile track in Arizona until I hit 50 miles. Actually 50.4 but who's counting.

Compared to some of the other participants, I was a slacker. Some runners were trying to do 300 miles in 72 hours. I feel sane compared to those people!

I'm on track with No S too. 3 successful days this week, 2 more to go.

The next step is dusting off my shovelglove...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:23 am

I've been thinking about my 24 hour race.

After 35 miles, I went back to my hotel to rest for a few hours. As I lay in bed, a million negative thoughts flooded my head.

"My feet hurt, why don't I just stop at 35 miles and sleep the rest of the night"

"This is stupid, nobody else I know would do something like this. Why can't I be happy doing 10Ks or even half marathons"

"I don't think I can mentally do anymore. The thought of doing 15 more miles is making me queasy"

"Here's a compromise, instead of doing 15 more miles to get to 50, why don't I just do 5. 40 miles is good enough"

Now that I'm home, I'm happy that I got out of bed and was back on the track at 4am. I was able to complete my goal of 50 miles, I know I would regret it if I didn't do it. Physically I was fine, it was the mental part that was messing me up.

That race parallels my mental struggle with No S. Today is day 4 of vanilla S. Around 3pm I wanted to call it quits but I didn't. And now I feel proud of myself.

My confidence rose as the miles accumulated. By the time I hit 40 miles, I knew I would finish. Same is true for No S. It gets easier as I accumulate successful N days.

Onward I go..

thtrchic

Post by thtrchic » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:00 am

50 miles is amazing. Congratulations! And thanks for sharing that insight. It's a really good one to hear.

Julie

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:11 pm

Thanks for stopping by thtrchic :)

Wow, I actually had a successful week. Five N days and 2 S days. I don't think I had a successful vanilla S week in all of 2011.

I don't know what happened, maybe it was the 50 mile race last weekend, but something seemed to have clicked. I was tempted to have an afternoon snack a few times but I didn't obsess over it. As Reinhard says, it feels as if I've "built a fence around the rules".

Let's see how week 2 goes..

franxious1

Post by franxious1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:20 am

Sounds like you're doing a great job! Keep up the good work!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:42 am

Thanks Franxious! We both rock!

I'm going to add a couple fasting days into my plan. I've been using the EatStopEat method for a couple years. One or two times a week I'll fast from 6pm until 6pm the following day. Even though it's 24 hours, it doesn't feel like it, since you only skip 2 meals. Intermittent fasting is pretty easy for me. I like not having to think about food for 24 hours. This week I'll fast on Tuesday and Thursday.

franxious1

Post by franxious1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:01 pm

That's great! I am envious of those who can fast. I've tried, but I always binge afterwards. But I think it's a really healthy thing to do

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:21 pm

Hi Franxious1 (I like your username)

I know what you mean about fasting. My husband would rather cut off his arm, or at least a hand, before he would go 24 hours without food.

Have a terrific Sunday...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:28 pm

I'm full of surprises in 2012. Besides sticking with vanilla S, I'm actually using my HabitCal!

Every morning, I'm coloring my square green. If I do slip up, I'll have to go back and re-color it red. I would hate to do this, declaring the day a success in the morning may give me the kick in the pants I need to stay focused.

I can't believe how pleasurable it is for me to see all the green squares.

Next weekend I go out of town for another race..the Phoenix marathon. It's funny how my perception changes, doing 26.2 miles next week seems easy compared to the 50.4 miles last week!

franxious1

Post by franxious1 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:58 pm

Hi Lori!

Your post is full of truths. I've occasionally done that -- color a square green in advance -- and you're right. It hurts worse to change from green to red than from blank to red. And also true: amazing how much fun it is too see the green and how distressing the red. Gotta get back to the rewards charts with my kids!

And finally, the Theory of Relativity re: the 26.2 vs. 52.4 miles. Sometimes it's really useful to set big goals.

Have a great day!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:40 am

Hi Franxious....I like to set big scary goals! Ones that get me out of my comfort zone!

Today was the first time in a long long time that I wasn't tempted to have a snack at 3pm.

I'm on week 2 of vanilla S. I'm tickled pink.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:49 pm

I wrote a very profound and pithy blog entry. Unfortunately it's been lost in cyber space.

In a nutshell...

-Jumping into 5 days of Vanilla S is too stressful for me. I'm tackling it in baby steps, building one day a week until I'm 100%.

-Tuesday was a successful No S day. I built an iron curtain around the rules. I had 3 plates of food, no more and no less.

-Sunday I completed my 36th marathon in Phoenix. When I'm tempted to jump 1000% into Vanilla S again, I need to remember how I trained myself to complete marathons. One mile at a time. I didn't look ahead, 26 miles seemed (and still does) impossible. Instead I focused on one mile 26 times. It works for marathons, it will work for No S.

BABY STEPS LORI!!!

Don't forget it.

And don't lose this post...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:00 pm

Still baby stepping it.

I'm reading a fantastic book..

The Willpower Instinct
"How self-control works, Why it matters, and What you can do to get more of it"
by Kelly McGonigal PhD

The author teaches a course about this subject at Stanford. It's a 10 week program and is among the most popular in the history of Stanford's Continuing Studies program. The book has 10 chapters, each one devoted to a week of her course. Each chapter focuses on one or two subjects and has one of two "willpower experiments" to try for the week.

I'm tackling one chapter at a time. This week I read "Willpower 101". I'm happy to confirm what I always suspected, I have 1 brain but 2 minds. I'm going to strengthen the mind that has self control and diminish the impulsive one.

For anyone struggling to strengthen the No S rules, I highly recommend this book. The author writes in a very entertaining style, she compared strawberry cheesecake to a saber toothed tiger!

Even though I'm only on chapter one, I'm already getting useful advice. The first step in increasing will power is to become self aware. When your will power is tested, think "Will I choose the easy way or the hard way?". Also, when faced with a challenging situation,slowing down your breathing to about 15 seconds per breath helps strengthen will power.

Here are some of the upcoming chapters..

-Too Tired to Resist; Why Self- Control is Like a Muscle
-License to Sin; Why Being Good Gives us Permission to Be Bad.
-The Brains' Big Lie;Why We Mistake Wanting For Happiness

and finally..
-Your Body Was Born to Resist Cheesecake

I'll follow up when I've completed all 10 chapters.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jan 28, 2012 4:32 pm

In The Willpower Instinct, the author talks about how different parts of the brain divvy up the job of self control.

One part specializes in "I Will", which help start and stick to projects (i.e.. I will do a 21 day vanilla S challenge).

One part specializes in "I Won't", which holds you back from following impulses and cravings ( i.e..I won't have a second helping of dinner on a N day).

The third region, the prefrontal cortex, is the "I Want" area. This keeps track of your goals ( i.e..I want to lose 25 lbs).

The key is to strengthen the "I Want" area of the brain. If the prefrontal cortex remembers what you really want, it can resist the rest of the brain that may be screaming "Eat a cookie or have a midnight snack".

I've got lots of work to do on my Prefontal Cortex. It folds like a house of cards when I'm confronted with a 4pm snack.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:17 pm

This may be why I suck at 21 day vanilla s challenges..

The Problem with Progress: Why Succeeding at Your Goals Can Sabotage Your Willpower
Are to-do lists perilous to your goals?
Published on December 11, 2011 by Kelly McGonigal, Ph.D. in The Science of Willpower

Most of us believe that making progress on our goals spurs us on to greater success. But some of the most fascinating research on goal achievement points to a dark side of progress. Psychologists have found that we are all too quick to use progress as an excuse for taking it easy.

For example, Ayelet Fishbach, a professor at the University of Chicago Graduate School of Business, and Ravi Dhar, a professor at the Yale School of Management, have shown that making progress on a goal motivates people to engage in goal-sabotaging behavior. That's right, the very act of recognizing their own success sets them up for failure. In one study, they reminded successful dieters of how much progress they had made toward their ideal weight. They then offered the dieters a thank-you gift of either an apple or a chocolate bar. 85% of the self-congratulating dieters chose the chocolate bar over the apple, compared to only 58% of dieters who were not reminded of their progress

A second study found the same effect for academic goals: students made to feel good about the amount of time they had spent studying for an exam were more likely to spend the evening playing beer pong with friends.

Progress can cause us to abandon the goal we've worked so hard on because it shifts the power of balance between two competing goals. By definition, a willpower challenge involves a conflict. Part of you is thinking about your long-term interests (e.g., weight loss); the other part wants immediate gratification (chocolate!). In the moment of temptation, you need your higher self to argue louder than the voice of self-indulgence.

However, self-control success has an unintended consequence: it temporarily satisfies-and therefore silences-the higher self. When you make progress toward your long-term goal, your brain—with its mental checklist of many goals—turns off the mental processes that were driving you to pursue your long-term goal. It will then turn to its attention to the goal that has not yet been satisfied—the voice of self-indulgence. Psychologists call this goal liberation. The goal you've been suppressing with your self-control is going to become stronger, and any temptation will become more tempting.

In practical terms, this means that one step forward gives you permission to take two steps back. Setting up your automatic retirement investment may satisfy the part of you that wants to save, liberating the part of you that wants to shop. Getting your files organized may satisfy the part of you that wants to work, liberating the part of you that wants to watch the game on TV. You were listening to the angel on your shoulder, but now the devil seems so much more compelling.

Even the most trusty tool of goal pursuit, the To Do list, can backfire. Have you ever made a list of everything you need to do on a project, and then felt so good about yourself that you considered your work on that project done for the day? If so, you're not alone. Because it's such a relief to make that list, we mistake the satisfaction of identifying what needs to be done with actual effort toward our goals. (Or, as one of my students said, he loves productivity seminars because they make him feel so productive—never mind that nothing has been produced yet.)

Although it runs counter to everything we believe about achieving our goals, focusing on progress can hold us back from success. That's not to say that progress itself is a problem. The problem with progress is how it makes us feel—and even then, it's only a problem if we listen to the feeling instead of sticking to our goals. Progress can be motivating, and even inspire future self-control, but only if you view your actions as evidence that that you are committed to your goal. You need to look at what you have done and conclude that you must really care about your goal. So much so, that you want to do even more to reach to it. This perspective is easy to adopt; it's just not our usual mindset. More typically, we look for the reason to stop.

These two mindsets have very different consequences. When people who have taken a positive step toward meeting a goal-for example, exercising, studying, or saving money-are asked "How much progress do you feel you have made on your goal?", they are more likely to then do something that conflicts with that goal, like skip the gym tomorrow, hang out with friends instead of studying, or buy something expensive. In contrast, people who are asked "How committed do you feel to your goal?" are not tempted by the conflicting behavior. A simple shift in focus led to a very different interpretation of their own actions—"I did that because I wanted to," not "I did that, great, now I can do what I really want!"

How do you focus on commitment instead of progress? A study by researchers at Hong Kong University of Science and the University of Chicago provides one strategy. When they asked students to remember a time they turned down a temptation, 70% took the next opportunity to indulge. They rewarded their good behavior with a little indulgence. But when the researchers also asked the participants to remember why they had resisted, 69% resisted temptation.

Remembering the why works because it changes how you feel about the reward of self-indulgence. That so-called treat will start to look more like the threat to your goals that it is, and giving in won't look so good. Remembering the "why" will also help you recognize and act on other opportunities to accomplish your goal.

This blog post is an adapted excerpt from Chapter 4, "License to Sin: Why Being Good Gives Us Permission to Be Bad," of The Willpower Instinct: How Self-Control Works, Why It Matters, and What You Can Do to Get More of It by Kelly McGonigal, PhD (Penguin/Avery 2011).

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:16 pm

I'm doing more cooking at home this year.

My Christmas present to myself was a sous-vide machine. It was pricey but I really like it. I don't eat chicken but I cook a bunch of pieces for my husband. The water bath makes it the chicken very tender. My husband says that aside from grilled, it's the best chicken he's ever had.

I sous-vide a piece of sable fish, it was delicious. Today I'm cooking a couple pieces of salmon for next week's lunches.

I'm also getting in the habit of roasting vegetables on Sunday. I make enough for the week, then mix with rice or eat them as is with a hard boiled egg or piece of cheese.

I signed up for my next race, the Austin marathon on February 19. I can't believe that's only 3 weeks away!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:53 am

I think I've found a mod that's working for me.

Instead of having 2 S days per week, I'm allowing myself 1 S per day. Everyday, I can have a snack, sweet or second. I don't have to use them but if I don't, I can't carry them over. It's one and done, everyday.

So far, I'm liking this way of eating. For the last couple days, I've chosen a dessert with dinner. When the 4pm snack attack hits, I know that if I give in, I won't be able to have dessert.

A daily S will also control my (sometimes) crazy weekend eating.

I'm trying this mod for the month of February. It may be a keeper...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:33 am

I was wrestling with "lose weight fast" thoughts today.

I found out that my annual company meeting is scheduled for June this year.Upon learning the date, my mind began calculating how many weeks I have before the convention (about 20).

If I do a "cleanse" or "detox", I could be at my optimum weight before June. I began pulling out my raw food cookbooks (they're called "uncook" books, which annoys me).

Luckily I stopped the mental madness. Although old habits die hard, I have no desire to embark on another "diet". The raw "uncook" books are back in my drawers, I really need to sell them on Amazon.

My sensible, moderation loving mind has gained control over the extreme, impulsive one. Now I can go to bed...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:08 pm

I'm still reading "The Willpower Instinct".

It's messing with my head!

Last night I read the chapter called "The Brain's Big Lie". The author talks about dopamine, which is a "feel good" neurotransmitter.

When your brain recognizes an opportunity for a reward (like pie after dinner), it releases dopamine. The dopamine rush makes us feel good.

But here's the kicker...

We equate the feel good rush for happiness.

But it's not happiness, it's more like arousal. Here's an excerpt from the book on the subject of "false rewards"...

"Just think of your biggest "I won't" challenge. Chances are this is something you believe makes you happy-or would make you happy,if you could just get enough of it. But a careful analysis of the experience and it's consequences often revels the opposite. At best, giving in takes away the anxiety that the promise of reward produces to make you want it more. But ultimately, you're left frustrated, unsatisfied, disappointed, ashamed, tired, sick, or simply no happier than when you started."

This is the experience I have when I have a red N day. Around 2pm I decide that "I'm going to stop at the bakery and get a dessert for dinner. The idea makes me happy. Driving to the bakery and picking out my dessert makes me happy.

About halfway through the dessert, my feelings begin to change. I feel regret and disappointment. I have some anxiety, maybe I can't get back on track. I usually finish with anger with my lack of self control.

The next chapter is called "What the Hell". I have a feeling this will be an eye opener too...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:45 pm

Here's what Simmstone posted on his blog..

I am going to refrain from posting my 'lessons learned' from each month... chiefly because 'learning' something and 'doing' something are not synonymous with me. I re-read some of my old epiphanies and realized that they haven't always necessarily led me to different actions. So I will not be grandstanding or claiming to have learned anything. I find it more useful, these days, to assume that I know nothing.
I love this quote.

My poor husband hears the majority of my "epiphanies". He has endured countless lectures about the evils of wheat, dairy, cooked foods, etc. It usually involves the diet topic of the day. I've even filibustered about the benefits of No S.

Luckily, he tunes me out and continues on his path. He has lost and maintained a 25 lb weight loss. He counts calories, weighs himself daily and exercises.

I told him that No S is the only way I'm eating for 2012. He gave me a skeptical look and I don't blame him.

I need to find non-diet related topics to discuss on our long runs and hikes...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:01 pm

Giving up talking about dieting can be hard! I realized in retrospect once how boring I must have been when I went on and on with out of town friends after a big weight loss 20 years ago. And it's worse when it's all conjecture.

In Judtith Beck's newer program, she has an extra motto she encourages people to write on a card and carry with them: When I work to enrich my life, dieting will be easier.

And with that, I think I'd better go enrich my life.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:20 pm

Still reading The Willpower Instinct.
Still freaking out because it's hitting so close to home.

Last night I read about "False Hope Syndrome". Here's a couple excerpts..

"Vowing to change fills us with hope. We love to imagine how making the change will transform our lives, and we fantasize about the person we will become. The bigger the goal, the bigger the burst of hope.

Unfortunately, the promise of change-like the promise of reward and the promise of relief - rarely delivers what we're expecting. Unrealistic optimism may make us feel good at the moment, but it sets us up to feel much worse later on.

The decision to change is the ultimate in instant gratification - you get all the good feelings before anything's been done.

Failing to meet our expectations triggers the same old guilt, depression and self doubt, and the emotional payoff of vowing to change is gone. At this point, most people will abandon their efforts altogether.

It's only when we are feeling out of control and in need of another hit of hope that we'll once again vow to change - and start the cycle all over."

PS...Hi oolala!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:44 pm

OMgosh, this what I try to warn people about on Sparkpeople. They write these blog declarations about how they're done with bingeing, they're going to give up sugar, they hate themselves for what they just ate, say Why Why Why and vow never to do it again, this is the first day of their new life, etc., I read these and my heart sinks as I think there is little that is more of a marker of impending failure than these kinds of declarations. Yes, a few people can say that their turnarounds actually did come from such moments, but in my case it was more just looking at the cold, hard facts and making the decision when I was not in the middle of a binge or just after it.And I recognized that my problem was that I had always depended on the urges going away for a few months during the diet honeymoon. I had never learned to say no at the most crucial moments of decision. I have been able to do that many times on No S and will keep improving on that.

Besides, the self-abnegation and remorse IS ACTUALLY PART OF THE CYCLE, so it reinforces the behavior. Do they say that in the willpower book?

I have a book on willpower on hold at my public library. I've been on the list for weeks. Apparently, it's a hot topic.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Feb 09, 2012 4:48 am

oolala..Thanks for the eloquent post. Remorse, guilt, disappointment, they're all included in "false hope syndrome". And just like you said, the typical pattern is the harder the fall, the grander the declaration to change.

I'm usually not a reader of self help books. The Willpower Instinct is probably the first one I've read in it's entirety. I can't believe how many typical patterns of self sabotage I do! It's really opening my eyes (I didn't even know they were shut). At first I was a bit rattled but now I'm happy to have the tools to change.

If you read it, I'll be interested to know what you think...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:14 am

I know I haven't posted in awhile when my blog is on the 2nd page!

Let's see, what's been happening since my last post..

I did another marathon, this one was in Austin. Next weekend I head to Las Vegas to do one more.

I'm participating in an 8 week Crossfit bootcamp. Crossfit does lots of interval training and exlosive movements, using bodyweight exercises, plyometrics, kettlebells, etc. It's tough as all get out, my lats are shaking as I type.

I almost have the snack habit abolished. Next up, ditching my pesky daily dessert.

I was dabbling in eating a more paleo diet, crossfit people seem to embrace this way of eating. I stopped myself before I got too involved, the only 3 rules I need are the No S ones.

I'm going to bed now, did I mention the crossfit bootcamp meets at 5am? Well it does and I'm pooped....

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:52 am

Congrats on another marathon! Wow I can't imagine doing even one!
I've been drawn to this thread and love the conversations about willpower.
I actually just ordered that book from Amazon tonight. It's fascinating. It hit close to home what you quoted about the "high" one receives from resolving yet again to be better.
Since my freshman year of college, I think I have been addicted to screwing up and this "baptism" of sorts...spending time and energy seeking my soul, writing in my journal to change.
Then messing up again and doing it all over again.
I think it's self-serving and quite frankly, I think it served its purpose, though pointless. Did I really want to change or did I just like the whole process of getting broken and fixed?
Thanks for the insight. This is something that may just be my last road-block to moderation.
I'm not seeking perfection, but 3 meals/day, an occasional sweet.

Appreciate your wisdom. Good luck on your next marathon!

P.S.: Crossfit is HUGE here in Seattle. I toyed with Paleo last spring and Crossfit. It's lots of fun, but I develop muscle quickly and got quite bulky. But it WAS enjoyable. Eating Paleo was hard...I felt good on it, but quite restrained. I'd occasionally over-do it on sugar because I felt so limited. Good idea, though for some.
Liz

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:36 pm

Did I really want to change or did I just like the whole process of getting broken and fixed?
lbb...wise words indeed!

I'm determined to break my cycle of starting and stopping and starting and stopping, especially when it applies to food. That's why even though I've faltered, I've basically stuck with No S for over 3 years. The simplicity is good for someone like me who has diet ADD.

ellgee

Post by ellgee » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:45 pm

Diet ADD - words I have used to describe myself, too!

Reinhard's podcast on this willpower thing brought me to your check in page. It is eerily hitting home with me, too. I don't necessarily like that but I guess I can be honest enough to see it! I'm getting the book.

Congrats on the marathons! I can only dream. My knees don't appreciate my running at all but last year I did a 5k here and there. That was also before I decided I missed my lost 40 pounds and rounded them all up to come home again. Bummer.

I'd just come off a Paleo high when I returned to No S. The minute I cut things from my diet, I freak! But I did enjoy most of the foods I ate and wouldn't mind eating a trifle paleo-esque. Was reading up a lot on Crossfit. Again with these knees.........plus I'd probably pee my pants during most explosive moments, LOL!
Laura

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:27 am

Hi Ellgee :D

Let me know what you think of the book, many of the chapters describe me to a tee. Which is fascinating and annoying at the same time.

The funny thing is that aside from food, I'm a very focused person who has achieved many of my goals. All is well until my brain begins to think about "diets". Then I turn into a rebellious teenager!

I was inching toward a paleo high too. I went almost 3 weeks without grains and minimal sugar, even on S days. Then, like you, I started freaking out! And once again, I'm back to only No S.

Talk to you later...Lori

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:47 pm

My week in a nutshell...

I've been battling a cold. My nose is raw and my throat is sore. It sucks. The good news is that my taste is muted so I'm not tempted to have snacks!

Still doing Crossfit bootcamp. Today we learned how to do deadlifts. We also were jumping up and down on boxes. It's still tough but I'm not as sore as I was last week. Progress!

Tomorrow I'm flying to Las Vegas to do a marathon on Saturday. I hope my cold is better by then. If not, I'll do what I can.

Gotta go blow my nose...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:44 pm

I'm back!
Actually, I never left, well, kind of...
I'll explain.

In April I'll be turning 55 years old. The number isn't bothering me (too much). I'm not having any big mid-life crisis (I'm living until 110, so I'm smack in the middle). I don't want to change my life.

Except for one thing.

A few years back, I made a solemn promise to myself. When I turn 55, no more diet ADD. The diet I'm using on April 23 is the one I'm using for the next 55 years.

I found No S in 2008. I was fairly certain that this would my 55 year old diet. However, I had about 4 years to try different "tweaks" or "modifications". I tried many, many, many mods, some worked, some didn't. Vanilla S seems to work the best, although I haven't been motivated enough to finish a 21 day challenge.

Sometimes I've strayed far away from No S. I've tried raw, vegan, primal food plans. I've eliminated wheat and sugar. I've done juice cleanses and other "detoxs". I tried "Fast 5", where you fast for 19 hours, then open your "food window" for 5 hours a day. I've experimented with other forms of Intermittent Fasting, some worked and some didn't.

My husband thinks I'm nuts. I tell him I'm not (too) crazy. I just want to try everything before my 55th birthday. He's skeptical that I'll keep my promise. Given my past behaviors, I can't blame him. As spring turns into summer, he'll see that I'm the real deal.

When I was dabbling with a paleo/primal diet, I developed a taste for very dark chocolate, 70% cocoa content or higher. I got into the habit of having a piece after dinner. I think I'll carry it over to my N days. It's not very sweet and sends my brain a signal that my meal is over. A small square fits on my dinner plate. This will be the mod that sticks.

I can still experiment with mods until my birthday next month. I think I'm done. I've tried every experiment that I can think of, it always comes back to basic No S.

Thirty years from now, I'll be an eighty something woman, writing on my No S blog. I'm hoping to complete a 21 day Vanilla S challenge by then.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Enough blabbering about my diet, how's my exercise?

Fabulous!

I'm still doing Crossfit. First I was scared, then I kind of hated it, now I love it! I'm happy that I signed up for the 8 week bootcamp, the twice a week workouts have gotten me into the habit. I love doing deadlifts and squats. But I hate burpees! I plan on signing up for the next 8 week bootcamp.

Next weekend I'll be in Boise for a 12 hour race. It's located in a state park, on a 2.5 mile loop. I start on Saturday at 6am and keep going until 6pm. I hope to complete 40 miles. That race will also be my 40th marathon or longer. I have to do 40 miles to celebrate 40 races!

Back later.
I'm enjoying my S day...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:57 am

I did it!

I completed 40 miles in 12 hours!

Despite being on my feet from 6am to 6pm, going 'round and 'round a muddy trail, I had a terrific time. My fellow runners were interesting and fun, I met a man in his 60's that was doing his 250th ultra marathon!

I'm still on a post race high.

I have also been successful sticking to No S. Completing my big goal in Boise seems to have given me the momentum I needed to adhere to the No S rules.

I've stopped No S so many times, I was tempted to abandon this blog and get a fresh start. A brand new blog that has no posts about "falling off the wagon". Or how about all the "mods" I've implemented but never stuck? The many times I've failed at the 21 day day vanilla S challenge. It's tempting to erase my No S history.

I've decided to keep on with this blog, flaws and all. Failures are part of the learning process.

My big magilla 50 mile race is less than 3 weeks away. I feel confident that I have trained enough to cross the finish line. If I can also complete a 21 day vanilla S challenge I would feel even better!

Time to try again...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:04 pm

I'm reading a good book..Smart Chefs Stay Slim by Allison Adato.

The author interviews dozens of chefs. She focuses on chefs who are normal weight and over thirty years old. She asks about their eating and exercise routines. Some chefs have lost weight, from 10 -100 pounds. Some chefs have been able to maintain a normal weight throughout their career.

I've always wondered how someone who is surrounded by food, who's career revolves around food, stays healthy.

I'm just a couple chapters in but guess what word keeps coming up? You guessed it..moderation! So far, all chefs interviewed eat whatever they love, just not everyday. They only eat what they love. Just not too much.

Later in the book, chefs that have lost weight are profiled. I'll be interested to read their stories.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:31 pm

Well, girl, it's so gratifying to hear you say you've tried them all and you think No S is it. Really, it can encompass so many other ways people want to limit themselves! But I think most of them find out they don't have to jettison most of the things they think they should. It just makes life so hard, and frankly, I don't have much patience for all their special requests anymore. Allergic to butter! Please! I'll hear people insist the have to be gluten free and then I hear them talk about how they binged on cake. Quit kidding yourself! I guess we have to go through them to find out? But after my years on Sparkpeople (since 2007) and here, I tell you I cringe when I read of all the things people on Spark especially do because I've seen them crash and burn over and over and over! And feel rotten about it. I do have one male friend who turned around an autoimmune disease and is maintaining about a 50-lb. loss on close to Paleo, but he is a special case. I mean the incentive is there; he eats like that or he is in pain just about 24 hours a day and his joints deteriorate. Now that is a reason to forego grain and everything else. I don't have that problem, knock on wood. And I pray I'd have the strength to face it, if I did.

If I remember correctly, you aren't really trying to lose weight? Just bring order and peace? Boy, I think if I exercised 1/4 of what you do, I'd be thi-i-in! I'm starting with minimum 10 minutes a day, 7 days a week. I got in a few 14 minute sessions this week and a couple of brisk walks. I can do that forever, and that's all I'm interested in now.

It will be interesting to see what happens when you have to go on a diet "diet," meaning refrain from reading about or trying to follow a diet. Are you afraid at all of how you're going to spend the mental energy? I'm thinking of greatly reducing my time on these issues, especially online, as of my next birthday, my 59th, for one year. Just to see what life is like after this obsession. I might even write a book about it? To tell the truth, I'd love to develop this into a late-life career. I'd love to retire from my present work, but I'd like to think I can make a contribution somewhere else for quite awhile. I just really don't want to bilk people of their money with false promises.

Good luck on the 50-miler!
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:54 am

Hi oolala!

If you wrote a book about a diet "diet", I'll be the first one to buy it! I've been thinking along the same lines, when I turn 55 on April 23, have a one year moratorium on diets. Stick with No S and that's it. The sad truth is....I don't know if I can do it. I've been thinning out the number of blogs I read. I can't delete all of them...I'm a diet blog hoarder!

I even thought about starting a blog about having a diet moratorium but then I'm writing about diets again! It's crazy!

I spend too much time reading about diets and food...but it's tough to stop. You hit it on the head...if I don't obsess about food and diets, how will I spend my mental energy?

Then again, I'm going to be 55 years old, maybe it's time to move on. Find something new to obsess about for the next 55 years!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:32 pm

I'm working my way to Vanilla S, if all goes`according to plan, I'll be there on my birthday weekend in April.

Until then, I may go on a blog "hiatus". I love this supportive community and don't want to leave for long. However, I've noticed that the more time I spend on the board, the more failure I have. That's so strange because it should be the opposite way.

Maybe it's because the more time spent reading, the more I fuel my food obsessiveness. I've never been very good at psycho analyzing my behaviors. I guess I'll just have to do what seems to work for me.

When I've implemented the simple rules of No S into a semi-regular basis, I'll be back. Hopefully before the end of April.

Talk to everybody soon...

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:00 am

GOOD LUCK, WALKERLORI!

DON'T BE A STRANGER..... WE WILL MISS YOU!! :D
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

lbb (Liz)

Post by lbb (Liz) » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:53 am

I think that's a smart move sometimes.
It's nice to "re-align" by checking in here or there, especially when support is needed big-time.
But I relate to it fueling our food obsessions sometimes.
I'm going to finish out my 21 day stint and then take a break.
I've needed this blog to get back on my feet, and then I think it may be at my detriment.

Good luck and we will miss yoU!
Liz

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed May 09, 2012 12:58 am

My No S "hiatus" is over.

NoSRocks and Liz, thank you for your comments, I feel warm and fuzzy inside :D

My last post was on April 9. Since that time...

- I'm officially an ultra marathoner! I completed my first (and last) 50 mile race on April 21. It was very tough but I'm happy I did it.

- I turned 55 years old! My big plan was to commit to No S when my birthday arrived. I don't want to spend the next 55 years (yeah, I know I'll be 110) trying "new diets".

-I'm a couple weeks behind schedule but I finally arrived. Before I came back to No S, I wanted to make extra double sure that I don't want to go in another diet direction. Since April, I dabbled in wheat-free, paleo and sugar free, none of them are as good as No S.

I'm back to stay. Vanilla S, no mods.

It's good to be back!

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed May 09, 2012 2:12 am

I completed my 42nd marathon last Saturday. It was held in Shiprock, NM and is the only marathon held exclusively on Indian ( Navajo) land.

The scenery was gorgeous but lonely. For most of the race I ran alone. I had plenty of time to think.

I spent many miles thinking about No S. Now that I'm an official No S "lifer", how will I move forward? Should I do a 21 day challenge? How should I use my HabitCal? How will I handle failures?

I've decided to do "Progressive Success". Here's how it will work..

I'll be counting my green days on my HabitCal. My hope is to have an endless string of green days.

However, if I log a red day, I begin again at day 1. My goal is to exceed the previous number of green days.

For example..

I have 3 days of Vanilla S. Then I log a red day on my HabitCal.

The next day I begin again with my goal of at least 4 days of compliance.

My only goal will be to extend my string of compliant days by at least 1 after a red.

I'll update my Progressive Success on a regular basis.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed May 09, 2012 11:53 am

Fantastic job on your marathons!
If you do not mind my asking, is weight an issue for you or just disordered eating? It seems so hard to believe that anyone who exercises as much as you do would have a weight issue. However, I know that running sometimes makes me eat more while weight work seems to do the opposite. Just curious.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri May 11, 2012 3:12 pm

If you do not mind my asking, is weight an issue for you or just disordered eating?
Hi r.jean!

The answer to your question is...I have both!

I'm probably about 20 lbs over where I would like to be. I haven't been on a scale this year (maybe I should).

Doing marathons isn't a good weight loss tool. I burn about 2600 calories per race, if I don't stick to the No S rules, a big post race meal could negate my exercise.

I could be the poster girl for the "If you exercise and don't change your diet, you won't lose weight" campaign.

I do marathons because I love the feeling of accomplishment (and the shiny medals). Unfortunately, they don't help me with weight loss.

No way around it, to lose the extra weight, I need to be No S compliant.

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Fri May 11, 2012 10:01 pm

In the next 4 weeks...

I'll be in Los Angeles for a meeting

I'll be in El Paso, working with my boss

I'll be in San Diego for a marathon

I'll be working in Colorado

If I was on a "special diet", I'd be in a tizzy. I'd have to pack up my powders and pills and juicer and blender, etc. What a hassle!

The No S diet is hassle-free. No special equipment. Even the book is easy to carry!

Sweet Freedom!!

:D :D :D :D

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Wed May 16, 2012 9:37 pm

This week I'm bringing back Intermittent Fasting.

I should have never stopped, why is everything harder the second time around?

This week I'm doing one 6pm to 6pm fasting day. Next week I'll add another one.

No S plus 2 days of Intermittent Fasting works really well for me.

I need to find something to do for 2 hours, then it will be mealtime...

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu May 17, 2012 7:49 pm

My first 6pm to 6pm fasting day was a success.

It was actually pretty easy. I read that if your diet is pretty good, not a lot of processed foods, then a 24 hour fast isn't very hard. I think this is true, at least for me. When I've veered way off of No S and then attempt to fast, I usually can't do 24 hours. I can go until about 18 hours then I dive into a big bowl of something snack-y and carb-y.

Speaking of carb-y things, since I attempted to go Paleo, my protein intake increased. Paleo didn't stick but replacing some of my carbs with protein seems to have been successful.

Next week I'll attempt 2 fasting days...

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat May 19, 2012 4:31 pm

Every time I think of imposing IF, I start having URGEs to eat. (Unnecessary Response Greatly Exaggerated). However, I've had a few come on naturally, but it still took effort to comply. I dropped some, but it's still too tricky for me. However, more power to you!

Good luck when you're here in San Diego marathoning.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

automatedeating

Post by automatedeating » Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:37 pm

walkerlori wrote:oolala..Thanks for the eloquent post. Remorse, guilt, disappointment, they're all included in "false hope syndrome". And just like you said, the typical pattern is the harder the fall, the grander the declaration to change.

I'm usually not a reader of self help books. The Willpower Instinct is probably the first one I've read in it's entirety. I can't believe how many typical patterns of self sabotage I do! It's really opening my eyes (I didn't even know they were shut). At first I was a bit rattled but now I'm happy to have the tools to change.

If you read it, I'll be interested to know what you think...
Hi Lori, I have read this book and I would have highlighted all the same passages you did!! It totally has messed with my head. In some ways reading the book was pretty dang discouraging! But, I just need to stay calm and NoS on, right?
Month/Year-BMI
8/13-26.3
8/14-24.5
5/15-26.2
1/16-26.9; 9/16-25.6
8/17-25.8; 11/17-26.9
3/18-25.6; 8/18-24.5; 10/18-23.8;
3/19-22.1; 10/19-21.8
6/20-22.5; 7/20-23.0; 9/20-23.6
4/21 - 25.2