Podcast #40: No Solitary Snacking -- even on S-days

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:16 pm

It's been a year and change, but the everyday systems podcast is back with a new episode!

Hate your S-days because they make you feel out of control? Here's a mod to help you enjoy them again.

http://everydaysystems.com/podcast/episode.php?id=40

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:38 pm

Your podcasts rock!
Thanks for doing a new one... :)
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

NoelFigart

Post by NoelFigart » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:52 pm

I listened to this while making dinner tonight.

I really like the idea. Though, when you first proposed the mod, I took it to mean that there should be no eating between one's normal number of meals (I eat three) unless one was eating socially. That's how I ran with it and for me, it works REALLY well, 'cause I don't socialize much. I've only lost about 10 lbs this year I think at least in part from snacking too much on weekends, and goodness knows that my weight loss has really gone into gear since I instituted this mod.

However, it was good to get clarification on what you meant.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

veggirl1964

Post by veggirl1964 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:24 pm

Yay - another podcast! I like to listen to them sometimes when I walk for motivation.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:33 pm

I think this is a good idea. I just think some of us have different wiring that requires this kind of thing. I don't know if it's the sweet eaters or not. I do know that Reinhard says he was surprised to find out on the poll on this topic that sweets were the major issue for so many people. He also never seemed to be drawn to eat to counteract negative emotions. Sorry, but it just doesn't sound like everyone has the same drive to overeat, even some relatively slim people feel compelled to gorge at times, rather than just eat too much at meals. I know my S days aren't a problem because I eat big meals with seconds and a huge dessert. It's that I do so much picking- and some of it not picking, but just methodically demolishing whole packages of junk BECAUSE I CAN. Or I'm supposed to be able to. I eat so much by picking that I hardly even want meals. And I don't enjoy a lot of it the way I do my N day meals. I do regret the sense of being out of control even more than the weight, but it's also that I then spend a lot of the day feeling lousy. You'd think that would stop me, but as many others know, it doesn't. I need an arbitrary rule.

Anyway, tomorrow is a good day to try this. However, I'll be spending a lot more time this weekend with other people and that cuts down on the problem for me anyway. Then next week I'll be starting a week-long retreat so it may be a few weekends before I can really test this out. I'm looking forward to it.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Andie

Post by Andie » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks for this! I really love your podcasts, I'm an auditory learner :) . I am definately adopting this mod.
Back after a long hiatus.