~hf, This is going to be great!!

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

~hf

~hf, This is going to be great!!

Post by ~hf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:05 am

I have a check in thread buried way down somewhere on this board that I'm going to let die. Out with the old and in with the new...

Quick intro:
I'm Heidi, mom of 8, Respiratory Therapist (currently not working in my field but I hope to change that soon) living in California. I have seriously struggled with my weight since the birth of my 7th child. It was a really unhealthy pregnancy (diabetes and pre-e) and I ended up gaining almost 100 pounds which I am still trying to take off 6 years later. I had a good run with No S in 2008 but I got distracted with some of life's craziness and fell off the sanity wagon. Enter starving (from emotional stress), low fat, low carb, hcg and all other sorts of desperate attempts to rid myself of this weight...and guess what? I'm the same weight as when I started No S last time (roughly), no major losses! Duh.

So I'm coming back to the best way of eating I've ever known. I really struggle with an all or nothing mentality so as far as I can tell No S will be the safest, sanest way for me to regain control over my eating and exercise. My current struggle is low carbing. Yes, I do great on it for several weeks to several months but then something snaps and I binge, binge, binge for days or weeks and regain what I had lost. Then I get desperate, like I was starting to feel this evening while I was out shopping with my dd, and I swear my dedication to shunning carbs, again. I almost fell for it yet again tonight, and I'm pretty sure I would have, except I joined the November challenge on the No S diet board and my challenge was to stick to vanilla No S for the entire month with no Low carbing! I fought with myself for a couple of hours but in the end the sweet somethings that No S was whispering in my ear won out and here I am at 11:30 pm with a green day. Whew!

Anyway, I have about 90 pounds to lose to get to a healthy BMI but I have some mini goals set up for myself along the way.
#1 21 day club, so far so good
#2 10% of body weight loss...24 pounds.
#3...I'll decide that one later...

In the meantime, I have decided that I deserve nice clothes and a stylish hair cut no matter what my weight. No more putting if off till I'm slimmer and look better. I went out tonight and bought a new robe and some very nice slippers and ordered a fancy pair of shoes. Next week I'll go get a hair cut and another pair of pants. I'm tired of wearing rags waiting to get skinny. Life is too short, the time to be happy is now.

For those of you who remember me from when I was on the board before (becauseIcan) when my dd had that terrible accident...She is all done with rehab and doing very well. Our local blood bank recently filmed her for a PSA. I thought I'd share it here if anyone wants to click through and see how well she is doing. <3
http://www.youtube.com/user/HeidiFawn? ... _q9ewYnwxE

Heidi
SW 236.4
10/26/11 restart date
1st goal 21 day club !accomplished! 11/24/11
2nd goal 10% loss
3rd goal...????

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:20 pm

Welcome back! We are all in this together! Even though I've been continuously on the board this whole year....I've TRIED all the other plans off and on throughout this journey and ended up just like you....right where I started with No-S back in March!!! So it's No-S for good for me too.
I love that you set some small goals. I need to do that too! I guess I'll start with the 21-day club to begin with also.

See ya around!

Pangelsue2

Post by Pangelsue2 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Hi and welcome back. I guess we missed each other when I was here last but I am so happy for you that your daughter is doing so well. Very pretty lady. When our kids are hurting, it is so hard to take good care of ourselves. It goes along with being a mother, I think. It is a good thing that you are going to make it your time now though. I congratulate you on getting new clothes and a pretty new look. We deserve to look our best and you are right, life is too short to wait for anything as inconsequential as clothes or a cute haircut. I also think it is a great positive way to begin a journey. Best of luck to you although it has been my experience that luck has nothing to do with it. It is hard work, dedication and drive...and getting up again each time we fall.
I'm baaaack.

gk

Post by gk » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:50 pm

It sounds like you are off to a wonderful new start!

I love how you have decided to get and do nice things for yourself and enjoy life the way it is now, even though you have goals to change it. I have desperately needed to shop for new clothes for the past year or so, but I keep waiting until that magical time that I lose the weight. You are absolutely right....we should enjoy the "now". If we keep focusing on the future, we're missing the present! I think I've been doing that for the past 15 years. Thanks for the reminder! :)

Good luck on your new No S journey! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

~hf

Post by ~hf » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:31 am

Thanks for the warm welcome. It's great to be back...

Well, I got some good news today. My old employer has decided to rehire me so I'll be going back to work in my field. It's been 3 1/2 years since I had to walk away from my career so I'm excited and nervous to be going back. There will be some interesting scheduling challenges but one thing that has me really thankful right now is that No S will be perfect for this new situation. I'm pretty sure that low carbing would have been impossible....

I'm happy to report that I've had a good No S week. Weigh in days will happen once a month on the first. I'm feeling pretty good about my progress. N days are green so far and I don't feel like I'm gaining. I think I'll go through my calendar and mark my NWS days for the rest of the month.

More facts:
39 years old
5ft 8in
SW 236.4
SW 236.4
10/26/11 restart date
2nd goal 10% loss
3rd goal...????

~hf

Post by ~hf » Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:20 pm

Interesting change...today is an S day and I woke woke with no particular cravings or plottings. Usually I'll go to bed the night before a day off/cheat day (depending on the diet) with a list of things I plan on eating. Today, no preplan, no list, and no cravings. It's almost noon and so far it's like any other N day except I have a coke chilling in the fridge for later...usually that would have be gone within 10 minutes of waking. Big improvement! :D

Heidi
SW 236.4
10/26/11 restart date
2nd goal 10% loss
3rd goal...????

~hf

Post by ~hf » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:55 pm

Yesterday went really well. I ate 3 structured meals, and also had a coke and baked a batch (40) of cookies that was shared between 9 people. This is such a huge improvement. On my "cheat days" (4 Hour Body) I would generally eat 1/2 of a pie, 2 L of coke, and whatever else I could come up with. I was losing weight but the gorging was becoming very embarrassing. :oops: Not any more...

Today I have 2 sick kids. I was up most of the night with my 4yo who was struggling to breath. It's a good thing that today is an S day because I could see myself getting a red day due to exhaustion.

Hope everyone is have a great weekend...
Heidi

edited to correct the number of cookies I baked.
Last edited by ~hf on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SW 236.4
10/26/11 restart date
2nd goal 10% loss
3rd goal...????

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:57 pm

Hope your family is feeling better, soon.

gk

Post by gk » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Good job on the S Day! I know what you mean about pie.....with me it's chocolate pie....gets embarrassing when no one else is eating the pie and it is still vanishing at an alarming rate. :oops: You're on your way - keep it up! :)

Hope you're kids feel better soon. I remember when my little boy (I have 4 kids) would wake up with spasmodic croup, gasping for air and so scared, and my heart just broke for him. So hard to see. :cry: Chocolate has always been a pacifier for me on days that I'm exhausted - so hard to stay on track when you're so tired. Enjoy your sweets today. :)

~hf

Post by ~hf » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:58 am

Well, this was a great weekend. I really enjoyed the freedom to eat a few treats and of course they tasted soooo much better because I hadn't eaten sweets all week. There were refreshments at a meeting I went to earlier this evening and they were serving homemade ice cream. Oh yum! That made my weekend...Tomorrow is Monday and it will be back to normal.

I've been making preparations to return to my old job. A little over 3 years I had to walk away from a new career (7 weeks after beginning my first job in that field) because of my daughter's accident. I'm re-signing with the company on Tuesday and could be working as soon as this coming weekend. More than likely I'll be working the night shift. Clearly that will have an impact on my No S-ing...but I'll search the diet board to see how others have handled the odd hours. Excited and nervous, oh my.

Heidi
SW 236.4
10/26/11 restart date
2nd goal 10% loss
3rd goal...????

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:28 pm

Hi Heidi and welcome back! I have recommitted myself recently too. I like how you set your goals up. BTW you have a lovely daughter.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

~hf

Post by ~hf » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:57 pm

Thanks, snapdragon, I'm so proud of her. She's come through quite a lot and has maintained a very sweet spirit. I can't say the same about myself...

No S has been coming along very well for me this time. So far I haven't had any red days and only 1 NWS day. I haven't weighed in yet so I don't know what is going on there but I have noticed some improvements in other areas:

I'm sleeping better. I think late night eating was stimulating me and keeping me up. Now I'm ready for bed before 10 instead of the usual midnight - 2am.

My skin is clearing up. I've been plagued by adult acne for years. I'm pretty sure it's because of the drastic reduction in sugar because I'm still eating dairy (which I had always thought was to blame).

Reduced grocery bill. I posted on the other board that I was saving over $200 per month just on beverages alone. That is embarrassing.

Greater variety in my treats. Since I have to make them count there is no way that I'll settle for a box of cookies from the store or some gross Hostess cake. I want the real deal. This weekend I'm making grape ice cream.

More peace of mind. I don't really know why this is but when my eating is out of control, so am I.

I'm sure there's more but that's all I can come up with right now. I'm watching reruns of Dog Whisperer...

Heidi
SW 236.4
10/26/11 restart date
2nd goal 10% loss
3rd goal...????

~hf

Post by ~hf » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:44 am

Well, I was in really high spirits yesterday. Today I came back to reality. :-(
First, I had a really bad breakout. Really. Bad. I am so bummed. Maybe dairy is part of the problem too. I am lactose intolerant but I thought I had figured away around that. Maybe not.

Also, my fibromyalgia has flared big time. I'm going to miss out on church tomorrow, again. I was beginning to feel a little perky so I must have over done it and now, BAM! Flare. Strangely, on low carb/paleo I had a huge improvement in my energy level and when I upped my activity level in response to that I didn't flare. At all.

Another thing I left out yesterday was my bloating. Bummer. I'm probably up an inch or two around the waist...gas too. >:-P

So those are all things that were better for me on low carb/paleo that are not going well for me here. No, I'm not thinking about leaving No S but I may need to make adjustments. Some things that I have added back in must be triggers. I think I need to identify them and adjust my No S accordingly. Who knows, at some point I might find that a combination of No S and paleo might be just what I need.

Heidi
SW 236.4
10/26/11 restart date
2nd goal 10% loss
3rd goal...????

gk

Post by gk » Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:59 am

Sorry to hear you had a tough time. Sounds like once you make a few mods you will be on your way though, as you've definately been on the right track. Hope you have luck with getting things back to the norm.

~hf

Post by ~hf » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:52 pm

Thanks gk. I'm sticking it out for now. I am still on Vanilla No S and committed for 30 days. After that, I think I'll eliminate dairy to see if that helps with the breakouts...I'm starting to wonder if I'm actually gaining or if I'm just bloated around the middle from adding grains and diary back in. I guess there is an adjustment period for those but since I am lactose intolerant it was probably pretty stupid to add dairy back. I'm trying to pay attention to my face, fingers and feet to help me know how I'm doing. I react to food and weight gain there first it seems. I think I'm doing ok because my rings are loose and my face doesn't seem any puffier than usual...sigh, no more puffy than my usual puffy self. haha. ;)

This morning I finished shopping for our Thanksgiving dinner. I usually cook at home for me and the kids. I really like having the kids home from school and all of us being together. I always look forward for any extra time they get off from school, holidays, early outs, in service days etc. so this is my happy week since they are only in school for 2 1/2 days this week, Yipee!!

I won't weigh until Dec. 1st and I'm staying strictly Vanilla No S. I will not be taking the day after Thanksgiving as a NWS day.

Heidi
SW 236.4
10/26/11 restart date
2nd goal 10% loss
3rd goal...????