Coming back to No S

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Kathi

Coming back to No S

Post by Kathi » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:53 pm

Reintroducing myself here...I first started No S a few years ago because I loved the simplicity of the system. My emotional eating eventually got the best of me, and I fell off the wagon. The past three years, I've tried everything from WW to Atkins to Dukan. Only the last worked, and not for long (I had about two blissful months at goal weight before I went on vacation and wasn't able to follow the plan--so, of course, I ate like crazy with my newfound freedom).

What caused me to pick this up again is a current bestseller called "Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength." The section on diets laid out certain proven rules for controlling one's weight, and they sounded almost exactly like No S! I strongly urge any No S-ers to check out the book--diet is one small chapter, while the rest talks about strengthening one's willpower to achieve any sort of goal. One tidbit I will leave you with: apparently, eating a treat OR deciding to save it for later satisfies the brain equally (while trying to resist it outright is too taxing, and eventually most people cave). Sound familiar?

Looking forward to participating in the board with all of you, especially as we make our way through the holidays!
Start Date: 11/26/11
CW: 137
GW: 127
Vanilla No S; walking 30 min & bodyweight exercises 5x/wk

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:40 am

I'm with you, Kathi!

I too have had success with No-S, losing about 15lbs about two years ago. Eventually I abandoned the diet and started eating healthy on my own, but still allowing myself snacks and sweets if I wanted (to be honest, I ate very little just to be able to eat dessert). Eventually I got down to about 135 at 5'7.5 (probably a little too light for me). My eating is really slipping lately, and I'm about 143 right now. I'm turning to No-S to find my happy weight, whatever that may be (my guess is about 138, so I don't have much to lose. I'm looking for peace of mind more than anything).

I'm going to look at the book you mentioned on amazon - sounds like a good one!

Best,
Jocelyn

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:02 am

Welcome back I hope this works for you or rather you do the work.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:23 am

Oh, how we love these "I'm back" stories.

I've found that No S has actually helped me with my emotional eating in that I don't get to do it on weekdays! I sometimes have more milky coffee than I need and still eat too much on weekends but compared to how I lived the years before No S, this is sanity.

Just don't let yourself get convinced that even the first bite is okay. It's not and it's certainly not necessary. And you'll ruin your appetite!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:45 pm

Welcome back, Kathi!

And thanks for the "Willpower" suggestion -- I remember reading about it and feeling intrigued. I'll pick up a copy at the library and (among other things) see if there are any juicy quotes I can use for the site.

Speaking of relevant books, I'm reading Aristotles Ethics (very slowly, maybe a book every two months) with a couple of friends and am continually astonished at how much that guy figured out 2500 years ago -- and at how everyday-systems-like his thinking is (everything is habit for him -- even virtue). For those of you are intrigued by what you've heard about his ideas, but terrified at the prospect of reading dry philosophy, I really encourage you to take a look, it's actually surprisingly human and engaging. He's systematic without being pedantic (a rare feat!). He's very aware of the limits of systematic thinking, that there are all kinds of exceptions, that a "good enough" approximation is all you should aim for. The Ethics is also organized into easy to digest little chunks.

Reinhard

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:49 am

The astonishing thing is that someone outside of school is reading Ethics at all and has two friends who will, too. No wonder you're not obsessed with food, Reinhard!

I read on another thread about the Willpower book. Sounds interesting, but I'm in the middle of the Upanishads...:)
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:13 am

reinhard wrote:Welcome back, Kathi!

And thanks for the "Willpower" suggestion -- I remember reading about it and feeling intrigued. I'll pick up a copy at the library and (among other things) see if there are any juicy quotes I can use for the site.

Speaking of relevant books, I'm reading Aristotles Ethics (very slowly, maybe a book every two months) with a couple of friends and am continually astonished at how much that guy figured out 2500 years ago -- and at how everyday-systems-like his thinking is (everything is habit for him -- even virtue). For those of you are intrigued by what you've heard about his ideas, but terrified at the prospect of reading dry philosophy, I really encourage you to take a look, it's actually surprisingly human and engaging. He's systematic without being pedantic (a rare feat!). He's very aware of the limits of systematic thinking, that there are all kinds of exceptions, that a "good enough" approximation is all you should aim for. The Ethics is also organized into easy to digest little chunks.

Reinhard
Hmm...isn't Aristotle the guy who said, "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"?
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:26 pm

I guess a habit of moderation is excellence.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:06 pm

Hmm...isn't Aristotle the guy who said, "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"?
Almost! That's actually Will Durant paraphrasing Aristotle (but it's a great paraphrase).

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 123AAcY2Ry

Reinhard