One Month

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jayhawk28

One Month

Post by Jayhawk28 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:11 pm

I last weighed myself on November 1, 2011. I weighed 215 pounds. Over the last month, I've done vanilla No S perfectly. I ate fast food, pasta and plenty of other carbs......all within the confines of No S. On the weekends, I just about ate the way I did during the week. Since I wasn't deprived in the foods I was choosing, I didn't really feel the need to go overboard. If anything, I'd add some candy at the movies. That's about it.

I weighed myself today and guess what? I weigh 215 pounds! I've used this month as an experiment. I chose not to work out. By simply living within the rules of No S, I was able to maintain my weight and eat whatever I wanted. This gives me the confidence going forward that by adding moderate exercise and choosing healthier options within No S, that weight loss will happen and It won't be a burden.

I wanted to re-define my relationship with food and that is happening with No S. I have no guilt and have felt better about food over the last month than I have in a long time. November was a month to erect a fence around my habit of No S.

In December I plan to build on that habit and add at least one more.....exercise. Every morning, I plan on doing at least 20 minutes of cardio. Could be more, but 20 minutes is my goal.......habit and process before results.

Excited about the base I'm building with these habits.

Okaybear

Post by Okaybear » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:23 pm

I think that this is an excellent attitude and commitment! I'm sure with just a few mods, the weight will come off, and It won't feel like a burden. I'm also doing Vanilla NoS at this point, so I haven't really been modifying what I eat. Like you, I'm trusting the process and not worrying too much about the scale at the moment. That will come later.

Great job on habit-building!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed Nov 30, 2011 3:39 pm

I've said before that No S is the only diet where you start in the maintenance phase. This is a nice case study to show it. Well done!

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:39 am

Great plan and great job!
My goal each month is maintenance. I sometimes lose and sometimes stay the same, but in 11 months, I have never gained.
It gradually comes off...
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Okaybear

Post by Okaybear » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:30 am

Blithe Morning wrote:I've said before that No S is the only diet where you start in the maintenance phase.
This is a great way to say it, Blithe. I hadn't thought of it like that!

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:49 pm

When I first read that you weighed the same, I was thinking you'd follow it with a barrage of complaints as many others do. What sanity!

Although it's said on No S you start in maintenance, I think the interesting part is that we end up "dieting" as time goes on. By this I mean that people get more and more used to eating less, getting down to the level of food intake of a "diet," but it's by choice, either conscious or unconscious. It becomes less necessary to eat more. A very few people get to that dieting on purpose.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

Jayhawk28

Post by Jayhawk28 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:29 pm

I thought I would gain weight, because I literally ate a lot of highly processed, unhealthy food. I apparently, just ate less of it. I do know that I had hunger pangs this past month. And in the past, that would mean eating more food whenever I was hungry.

guille

Post by guille » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:04 am

personaly i dont do the whole "healty food" thing , the few times i have done that i crave "unhealty" way more and cant control my self.
im simple with the rules, i want to eat something on the plate, and is not a sweet, i will have it, and fuck healthy choses, at least thats the way it works better for me

the funny thing is that if i dont worry about healthy foods, then i commnly will eat better at those times, than when i stress about it

Eileen7316

Post by Eileen7316 » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:17 am

Guille,

Welcome to the NoS board. Glad you have found us.

I don't know if English is your first language, but I take offense to the wording of your last post. Please try to refrain from using profanity. You will find the people here to be very friendly and helpful, but we don't typically use any offensive language.

I wish you the best on your journey!
Eileen

guille

Post by guille » Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:44 am

hi

indeed, english is not my first lenguage, and i apologize if i offended you, or anyone, it was not my intention

i just wanted to state, that in my very personal experince with the nos diet, which is like 1 month ,give or take, i find that when i start to think about making healthy choses, things go south, eating becomes stessful and i stop enjoying food, which is the point of this lifestile, the joy of eating

now about the profanity (which in my lenguage is more related to insulting god, not saying a bad word) again i apologize if anyone was offended, not my intention at all, commonly im...(i dont know how to say it in english) bad worded in my original lenguage, but is just the way i express, its not ment to offend anyone

thanks for your comment, i will be more careful in the future on how i express my self, so it does not feel offensive

anyway good luck to everyone on this path

tapper47

Post by tapper47 » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:31 am

I hear you about the healthy choices. If you follow conventional wisdom that means lots and lots of whole grains, low fat, lean meat, etc, etc, etc.

For a healthy diet cut the processed food, dump the grains (especially wheat, read Wheat Belly the book) and eat only natural foods and natural fats and unprocessed vegetables, fruits and tubers. Do not be afraid of fat.

I had to give up grains. All of them. It is the only food I no longer eat but it has made a huge difference for me.

Wheat Belly the book talks about the changes in the wheat we eat now as compared to what we used to eat. And it is not pretty.
Happily eating 3 times a day

guille

Post by guille » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:17 am

hi tapper47

i agree to some extent, but to some i dont, here is my very very long answer...(sorry about my spelling)

i dont eat too much refined wheat but its more because if i eat only pasta or bread i dont feel full at all

i go more for something like a grandma diet, try to buy somethinkg you can cook with (that means potatos , meats, beans...well everything that is not canned or already prossesed, i acompany it with bread, or pasta, or tortilla, and im good to go.

sometimes i will have something procesed if i dont have time to cook, but commonly i dont because i prefer the taste of cooked food

about the grains, i have to respectfully disagree

i will give you an example, here in mexico, the base of our diet for ceturies has been the tortilla (made of corn) ,that, acompanied by beans (frijoles) and chile, the very poor people only ate and still eat that, people with a better economic position acompanied that with meat ,chiken, potatos and many other things
and in general mexico did not have any problem with obesity, diabates, hipertention, etc
usually the only fat people where aider rich or at least rich enough to eat too much, or drunk people that drank too much (our traditional alcoholic products, tend to be very high in calories)

but today we are the 2nd country in the world in obesity and the 1st for women, so what is the difference? the people that still can not afford more than tortilla(corn) frijoles and chile are still slim in general, and despite health problems commonly related to extreme poverty, they wont suffer diabetes, hypertension and oviously not ovesity, but the people that can aford cocacola(most population) tent to get very fat, and in here, most houses that can aford it will drink cocacola or other sweet soda like water, more than a litter per person, and as i said, only the ones in very extreme poverty cant aford it, so most population, poor, medium or rich can.

the corn may be worst than before, not organic, and mutant corn or whatever, but in general, the poorest cultivate that corn because it the cheapest to get, and the changes of their health and weight are not so different than 2 hundred years ago, but the people that drinking pure sugar(mexico has the first place on consumption of soda in the world) tend to get fater and fater

i think sugar is the biggest change for the caloric counsumtion in humanity , that and maybe, just maybe not natural fat and ofcourse eating too damm much (where thats affordable)