Wondering what everyone thinks...

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

xJocelynx87

Wondering what everyone thinks...

Post by xJocelynx87 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:04 am

Hello No-Sers,
As you probably remember, I've done No-S off and on for years, but I actually lost the bulk of my excess weight with my own plan, which basically consisted of 2 meals + a moderate sized dessert each day. I tried to make the meals healthy, but if they werent, I just tried to keep the portion reasonable. In the morning, I often drank coffee with cream and ate my first meal around 2pm, followed by dinner at 7 or 8pm, and dessert. I've tried over and over to get back on track with No-S, since a few pounds have crept back on, but I end up only lasting a day or two, because I just need some chocolate! I end up reverting back to two meals + dessert, because it's how I ate for a year or two while I was losing weight. Being that I have a nutrition degree, I try to stick with 3 meals because it is most often considered "healthy". I guess what I'm asking is, do you all think that maybe I should just accept 2 meals + desesrt as my 'normal' and stop fighting it? Or should I fight my instincts and try for 3 meals with no sweets? I'd love some feedback as to what you all consider 'normal' eating, and whether or not the plan I described above should be left alone if it works for me. Thanks so much!

Hope you all had a lovely holiday weekend (and another approaching!)

Jocelyn

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:46 am

Do what works for you. Doing that is more important, I think, than following any plan. One of my favorite diet-related quotes is: "Diets are like trying to sell everyone the same style and size shoe. If this way of eating is forced and not really you, you’ll revert to your old patterns every time. Better to find a way to eat for life.†(cookbook author Pam Anderson )
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:17 am

Thanks for the input wosnes!

I tend to agree with you as well as the quote you provided. I am comfortable with my 2 meal + dessert plan, but I'm sort of wondering if maybe No-S would be better for me, I just subconsciously don't want to fully commit to it, so I'm clinging to a plan that has worked for me in the past.

Doing two meals + dessert, I actually got a little too small (about 135 at almost 5'8). Right now I'm about 142, and feel best around 138. I'm sure I could get there relatively quickly using No-S, but it really does feel forced. I'm sure that would change over time, though.

I'm not pressuring myself to decide on a definite plan just yet, just doing some research, asking for advice, and trying to figure out what I can maintain long term.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:10 am

I generally eat 2 meals daily but keep things flexible enough to have a third if necessary. Though I'm not doing it currently, I've also allowed myself one S daily (usually a sweet treat). Neither is vanilla No-S; both have worked well for me.

I try to eat real food prepared by me and watch portions.

I'm not sure how we got to the point that we don't trust ourselves to continue with something that works for us. There are many ways to eat "normally" and well. Many are not like No-S. They also aren't like the Standard American Diet -- eating poor quality food numerous times daily.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:47 pm

Yes, you're right, as a future dietitian, I know I've got my work cut out for me as far as (many) Americans and food.

Glad to hear that you've done modified versions of No-S and had success - really gives me more to think about when considering my own plan.

I meant to say 5'8, by the way...smiley face unintentional. :wink:

Thanks again!

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:49 pm

If it works, it works. I would go with it, especially if you enjoy eating this way. Sweets tend to trigger overeating which ultimately is not enjoyable for me.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:43 pm

Do what works! Healthy eating trends come and go. The "eat every 3 hours" thing should never come back! I just wanted to add that as far as I know all the way through the Bible (old and new testaments) people were eating in the morning and evening. I don't think there was ever a lunch or snack mentioned. After the Isrealites were lead out of Egypt God fed them morning and evening for 40 years. No lunch. Jesus was said to eat in the morning and evening. It makes me wonder if we've invented lunch... whether you know Jesus or not, it is recorded how they were eating 4,000-2,000 years ago and I don't think they ate snacks or even lunch. Hmmm... I loose when I am able to eat only brunch and supper.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 5:11 pm

I think I've reported on other threads that the lowest weight I was at in my adult life was when I was travelling for several months in India, walking a lot, and eating two meals a day. Milky coffee in the morning, maybe a dessert in the afternoon outside the meals. If my schedule allowed for it now, I might do it. If that works for you to prevent overeating, I'd say take the pressure off yourself, and use it for three-month increments. If you're happy with your habits and your weight , keep repeating!

For myself, I've been astounded and pleased that it is not a problem not to have sweets during the week, but I overdid them for so much of my life that if I err on the side of caution now, I'm just balancing the seesaw!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Hey Jocelyn! Thanks for your interesting post and congratulations re. your weight loss success. I'm in agreement with everyone else: do what feels right and most importantly works for YOU. I know what you mean about this little niggly voice in your ear "telling you you should be eating healthier, get more veggies in etc. etc." but if you're feeling great, your health is good etc. and you've no food/diet anxiety and have been doing this for a substantial amount of time with no ill effects, I definitely say GO for it!

By the way, as a sweet toother, I wouldn't mind more information on the types of desserts you eat: i.e. portion size, what desserts you chose. Very interested to hear. I've managed to kick the dessert habit during the week ironically but I still struggle with the overindulgent weekends on No S. Whilst I'm doing okay and am perfectly happy following No S, its always nice (in my honest opinion) to hear of other suggestions etc. that might help.

As a 5'7" woman weighing around 167 - 175 lbs (I fluctuate a lot!), I am pretty envious to read your weight stats, btw. Many congratulations once again!

Happy Holidays to all !
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

xJocelynx87

Post by xJocelynx87 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:58 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words, NoSRocks!

I'd be happy to elaborate on the plan that I tended toward while I was losing weight. I started at about 168lbs, and was able to lose 30-35lbs slowly over two years. For about the first six months, I followed No-S and lost the first 12lbs or so, but I missed dessert so much. Snacking has never really been an issue for me (unless it's trail mix or chips and guacamole ;-)) Being that I was in college with two rigorous majors, a boyfriend, and a crazy schedule, I sort of drifted into two meals per day, and didn't worry TOO much about the composition of those meals, though I do tend toward healthier foods anyway (no fast food, very little processed food, a moderate amount of animal protein, etc).

I enjoyed this way of eating because it allowed me to get REALLY hungry for my first meal of the day, rather than forcing down breakfast, not really enjoying it, and ending up hungrier for the remainder of the day. Also, I was able to go out for drinks and a bigger than normal meal with my girlfriends without worrying about ingesting too many calories for the day. I could bake a batch of cookies for my boyfriend and have a few of them after dinner without stressing about it. I guess my point is, this way of eating feels more like how the "normal" eaters in my life eat already. I should also point out that every single pound that I have lost has been without a consistent exercise program (aside from waitressing in college or trudging all over campus). This fact has made it very clear to me that as far as weight is concerned, DIET is paramount. I actually GAIN a few pounds if I start exercising. That doesn't mean it isn't good for you or won't make you look better, but for me it just doesn't NECESSARILY correlate with weight loss.

As far as the desserts I eat, anything goes really, but I try to decide beforehand what I'm going to have, and stick to it. Last night it was a Reese's Christmas Tree and a mini Snickers bar that I picked. Other times it'll be 4-6 squares of Lindt chocolate, other times it'll be a mini chocolate cake that I make in a coffee mug, etc.

I should also let it be known that I have had roadblocks. I do binge occasionally, (maybe once every two weeks or so) and that was occurring while I was losing weight. It may have been because calories were too low, but I think it has more to do with me using food for other reasons, like being bored or putting off something I don't want to do. I have improved greatly, and am slowly healing my relationship with food.

Wow, this post is way too long! Thanks for reading, all! Hope this week has been successful so far.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi again jocelyn! I'm still here... lol! MANY thanks for your quick and most helpful reply to my question. FABULOUS!! The information you provided is great and I may give it a try sometime. I definitely need a boost, right now.

Even though I seem to have got the No S pattern down pretty well and have been fairly compliant for almost 2 years. I don't tend to snack on desserts during the week - this is pretty much second nature to me now, as I may have said. BUT I think a series of factors have hindered my weight loss including underactive thyroid as well as other hormonal issues. I am finding it is tempting to drop No S in favor of another diet (as in national slimming clubs type of thing) but when I have my sensible hat on, I realize that for ME, personally, this will not achieve anything and just be a complete waste of time and money.

Thanks again, jocelyn for the information and have a wonderful week!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs