Rubyslippers Returns . . .

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

BeingGreen

Rubyslippers Returns . . .

Post by BeingGreen » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:14 am

It's a good thing you're such an accepting group of people. I can keep falling off the wagon forever and you'll keep welcoming me back with open arms! The only problem is, while you're all being so nice, I'm gaining weight--not exactly the results I'm looking for.

So here goes another run. Much simpler, lower expectations of myself this time. Vanilla No S. Three weeks. I know I can do it. Even through the holidays!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:10 pm

Welcome back!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

determined

Post by determined » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:44 pm

Welcome back....

I've been here & left a number of times so I understand! This time around I feel differently...as if I'm just absolutely not going to give up. I've been fighting this unhealthy eating stuff all my life & I'm just plain tired of it. I'm going to win...period.

I'm glad you're back & I wish you much success!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:20 pm

Thanks Snapdragon and Janie! I love the positive energy on these boards.

Sunday, 12/11
Day 1

S day! Not wild. Success!

Monday, 12/12
Day 2
B: Muesli; goat milk; banana; coffee with milk and sugar
L: Veggies; hummus; whole wheat pretzels; yogurt; figs
D: Chickenless cutlet; collard greens; sweet potato; white wine

Success!

Rea

Post by Rea » Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:34 pm

great job! :)

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:31 am

Tuesday, 12/12
Day 3

B: PB on ww toast; banana; yogurt; coffee with milk and sugar
L: Out--Pear, bleu cheese, and walnut salad; cup of tomato soup with croutons
D: Small olive ciabatta roll; hummus; feta, carrots; 3 dolmas; dried figs

Success!

iknit247

Post by iknit247 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:08 am

Good luck to you!
~iknit247

Started 13 Feb. '12
220/220/140

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:32 pm

Thanks Rea and iknit247 for the good thoughts!

Wednesday, 12/14
Day 4

B: Muesli, goat milk, banana, coffee with milk and sugar
L: Carrots, beets, hummus, ww pretzels, yogurt; dried fruit
D: Baked tofu; sweet potato; collard greens; 1 beer

Success!

Thursday, 12/15
Day 5

B: PB toast, banana, yogurt, coffee with milk and sugar
L: Tofu salad rolls with dipping sauce; harvest slaw; dried figs and walnuts
D: Lentil salad on greens with feta and red peppers, roasted corn, guacamole; 1 beer

Success!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:09 pm

Friday, 12/16
Day 6

B: Muesli, etc.
L: Same as yesterday too.
D: Cranberry walnut bread with assorted cheeses, broccoli, wine

Success!

Saturday, 12/17
Day 7

As of midday, not wild :D

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:45 am

The rest of Saturday was good and not wild. Success.

Sunday, 12/18
Day 8

A little wild. Not exactly over the top, but not really a paragon of virtue either. I appreciated the analogy that someone referred to a while back about how no one would purposely wreck their car after making a small dent (KCCC got the credit for this and I'm sure she said it much better). The point is: after I ate too much at lunch, I didn't continue eating all day long.

Looking forward to tomorrow's green.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:02 am

Monday, 12/19
Day 9

B: Almond butter, toast, yogurt, banana, coffee
L: Carrots, broccoli, hummus, roasted potatoes, dried fruit
D: Large salad with roasted squash and tofu, homemade pear sauce

Success!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:27 pm

Tuesday, 12/20
Day 10

B: Muesli, banana, goat milk, coffee
L: LO veggie pizza, brussel sprouts, tomato soup, dried figs
D: Leek and potato soup, roasted squash, chickenless cutlet

Success!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Wednesday, 12/21
Day 11

Sick day :( I'm calling it yellow.

Thursday, 12/22
Day 12

B: Muesli breakfast
L: Half eggplant wrap with spicy sauce, broccoli, squash, yogurt, nuts, dried fruit (really big meal--but hey, no sweets and I'm not feeling the need to snack or go wild)

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:40 pm

Happy New Year! come back! Research shows people who start their new eating regime around Jan. 15 have more success than those who start on the 1st. Better to let things settle down and get out of panic mode.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:29 pm

Hi oolala!

Just by coincidence I decided to lurk on the boards here today--I knew I hadn't posted in several weeks (since before Christmas) and I wasn't planning on posting anything. I always wonder if anyone notices my comings and goings and clearly you do--so thanks for the cyber-space moral support! It's neat that there's a community here thinking kindly of one another across the miles. Gotta thank Reinhard for starting it all . . .

Anyway, things were bad before New Year's (especially since we were at my mom's house for a week and she's such a control freak about meals that I found it hard to eat the way I wanted to), but things have been good since last weekend.

I've been doing a lot of reading about healthful eating and I'm currently trying a little Joel Fuhrman experiment. His advice would not really play on this site very well (too extreme), but I have been able to tailor things in such a way that I've been basically on No S too. So I guess I'm back :D

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:00 am

Yay!
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

LoriLifts

Post by LoriLifts » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:39 pm

Welcome back Rubyslippers!

I don't think you have to be concerned about any dietary experiments. I've been off and on juice fasting, raw foods and primal diets without incurring any judgmental No S wrath. I've come and gone and came back again without any negative feedback.

The No S community is one of the most supportive boards in cyberspace.

I'll be interested to see how your experiment goes :)
Habits are at first cobwebs, then cables.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:25 am

Thanks WalkerLori!

I'm just popping in to say that the weekend was fine and the week's off to a fine start. I made the mistake of stepping on the scale this morning, when I had promised myself I would wait! I was disappointed with the number, but luckily, I did not allow that to fling me into a tailspin. So far I've stuck pretty well with Dr. Fuhrman's plan and No S. I did break down and drink some whole milk kefir after dinner because I was honestly hungry and couldn't even concentrate on my book. This was fine under No S, but not under "Eat for Health." I see No S as my safety net when the other plan seems a little too restrictive.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:08 pm

Checking in on Friday afternoon. A good week, I think. My experient with green juice and green smoothies in combination with No S is going nicely. The books all say that when you fill up on fruits and veggies your cravings will be more manageable. So far, so good. I feel satified generally and I am not hugely hungry between meals. The smoothies are not the most delicious drinks I've ever tasted, but they are mildly sweet (because of the fruit) and reasonably filling. They allow me to eat more greens without eating lots of salad dressing or oils. I am aware that I will not likely eat this way forever, but I suppose anything's possible. The long term plan of course is to go back to eating more "regular" foods and still stick with No S.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 5:15 pm

It's Monday morning and I'm pleased to report that the weekend went well. And I'm officially down another 1 pound (17 to go). I also have to report that the frustration over slow weight loss is very difficult. I've gained and lost the same 20 pounds a handful of times in my life and kept it off most of my 30s. But I am now almost 42 and I notice it is definitely not as quick even when I think about how much less I am eating these days. I remind myself slow loss is better and more "permanent" (although lord knows, I could easily gain it back without trying very hard). I tell myself patience, patience; it's only been two weeks! So far I've stayed the course. Lots and lots of fruits and veggies at each meal help me feel very good about what I'm putting into my body. Saturday and Sunday were great. I found a very satisfying healthy little to treat to end these two days on: a lovely homemade trailmix with dried cherries, toasted walnuts, and dark chocolate chips.

Have a great NO S week everyone!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:45 pm

SAME TO YOU, RUBY! :D :D

Enjoying your posts, btw!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:30 pm

Good and busy week. I haven't been good about not stepping on the scale, but the good news is that I had a "minor" breakthrough! Although I didn't weigh myself on January 1 (the date that I'm counting from), I'm pretty sure I was 142 or so (based on how my clothes fit). This morning I was 134.8 :D

Three weeks in with my green smoothies and green juices and all unprocessed foods and I'm feeling fine. The best part is the reduction in cravings. Only time will tell if the foods are helping lower my cravings or if I'm still on a weight-loss/stick-to-my-resolution high. I've been exceptionally careful at the grocery store and haven't bought any junk of which I planned to eat "just a little"!!

My goal weight is in the 118-120 range. Suddenly it feel SO much more doable in the first half of the year. Then I'll have to do the real work of life-time maintenance.

P.S. Hi NoSRocks! Glad you are enjoying my posts; I enjoy yours too!

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:44 pm

Hi all.

Weekend was good. If you can believe it, I planned for a small dessert on Saturday night but after dinner I really didn't crave it or want it that much so I just skipped! I'm sure that's almost never happened before. I had a little treat last night so I feel good about heading into this week, nothing out of the ordinary is coming up to throw me off course.

Have a good green week friends.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:21 am

M/T/W all green :D

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:15 am

Th/F were green. Yay. The weekend is now wrapping up. It was a couple of nice days at home for the four of us, although the kids and I went out and saw "Tin Tin" in the afternoon today. Fun! I only took one S this weekend after dinner tonight. Same lovely treat from last weekend: dried cherries, toasted walnuts, dark chocolate chips, and a new edition, dried coconut!

My weight is down 10 pounds for the month of January. This seems like a lot, I know. But initially some was definitely water weight. I need to slow down the pace a bit. I can sometime be overzealous and rigid. I have 13.5 pounds to go to my goal weight. I'm just looking to lose 5 of those in February.

The green smoothies and green juices are still prominent every day. I've also got really creative in the kitchen and have been able to trim quite a bit of oil from my cooking with very satisfying results. I made some delicious braised delicata squash with no oil at all. I never would have believed this possible six months ago.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:36 am

Hi Ruby! Just popping in again to say congratulations on your 10 lb weight loss! That is just fabulous! Thanks for being such an inspiration.

Roxy
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:32 pm

Rubyslippers wrote:

My weight is down 10 pounds for the month of January. This seems like a lot, I know. But initially some was definitely water weight. I need to slow down the pace a bit. I can sometime be overzealous and rigid. I have 13.5 pounds to go to my goal weight. I'm just looking to lose 5 of those in February.
o.
It is good that you realize that being too rigid can backfire on you. I struggled with this issue as well when I first started No S. After a lifetime of bouncing between strictness and overeating, I seem to have finally found a balance.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

BeingGreen

Post by BeingGreen » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:58 am

Thanks for your posts, r.jean and Roxy! I always welcome feedback. I never imagined myself an inspiration though. I'm just like everyone here--struggling to keep the demon cravings at bay through reasonable, rational habits. Luckily, I really like to exercise and have a been a runner for over 20 years. That really helps. But tonight I had a hard time of it. Sweets were calling my name. I ended up eating some extra raisins and dried figs and an apple, but I'm not really considering that a "failure." I felt really hungry, despite a huge salad for dinner. Maybe my body is reacting to the quick weight loss and is ready for a temporary plateau. I'm looking foward to better green day tomorrow.