Mimi's Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:50 am

Day 44

Back on track!

Exercise: green - 14 minutes walking with LS
NoS:
B: Oatmeal Square, piece of banana, yogurt, coffee
L: Lean Pocket, pretzels, nuts
S: TBD - music lessons
Discovered NoS: April 16, 2007
Restarted once again: July 14, 2011
Quitting is not an option...
If you start to slip, tie a knot and hang on!
Remember that good enough is... good enough.
Strive for progress, not perfection!

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:53 pm

Day 45

NoS:
B: Raisin & Cinnamon English muffin w/ PB, yogurt, coffee
L: spaghetti, mixed dried fruit and nuts, yogurt
S: pork loin sandwich w/ BBQ sauce, applesauce, chips, raw veggies, dried fruit and nuts

Such a hectic and tiring day...sigh...lots of things to grade and tomorrow is the last day of the quarter.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:05 am

Day 46

NoS:
B: bacon, egg & cheese sandwich, yogurt, coffee
L: pork tenderloin sandwich, chips, yogurt
S: not planned yet - Trick-or-Treat/Halloween festivities downtown this evening, so all our little grandkids will be coming over afterwards - can't wait! They get soooo excited about dressing up in their costumes!

Even though we can't dress up in costume in middle school, I'll be in my usual garb - as a witch - bwa-ha-ha-ha :lol:

**edit - well my back-on-trackness didn't last very long...today ended up being RED. I know why...it started with a piece of cake at the end of the day from a friend during my most challenging class. I thought I could handle it, but today was the end of the quarter and there were soooo may kids not turning in assignments. It's frustrating to me when I do everything in my power to ensure their success and they still make those kinds of choices.
Hmmmmm...sounds like me and my struggle with using food to cope...

and then there was the Halloween candy last night. Gummies...spiders and bats - gummies are my favorites, doesn't matter what shape they're in!
I felt sorry for myself after the kids all left and I had to sit the rest of the night grading endless papers. I had to get up and physically move the candy bowl twice to keep myself out of it.
Bummer...

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Day 47

No exercise...forgot to set my clock. Fortunately today is a teacher workday (HA! - we have meetings all day). I came in early to get some grades entered and the server was down. Just got it back up and running.

NoS:
B: stopped on the way to school and did the drive thru at Hardees - bacon, egg and cheese biscuit with orange juice
L: leftover stir-fry - steak, vegetables and brown rice
S: grilled hamburgers, potato and macaroni salad

They are hosting a goodie Halloween room downstairs in one of the conference rooms today...need to forget about it and stay away...both my meetings are downstairs today. I need to keep reminding myself about my year-long commitment and maybe go back and read Starla's account of her 65 pound loss. I've been on a slippery slope this week and need to manage a little better. I'm also wearing my "NoS ring" today to help myself stay on track.

Starla

Post by Starla » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:01 pm

Good morning, mimi -

I'm so glad I checked in your thread. If my testimonial inspires you, that's all well and good. But you may be able to inspire yourself by re-reading your own thread. You've been through WAY harder things than kids not turning in their assignments, and WAY bigger temptations than Halloween candy. You were in pain, laid up, and surrounded by homemade treats and you STILL kept to No S.

I know you can reach that part of yourself again and make it though this day that looks so hard for you right now. One day. That's all. You CAN do this!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks Starla - I'm glad you checked too because you gave me just the inspiration I needed to get through the day and keep it green! I did have a cup of hot mulled cider mid-morning after a meeting and again in the late afternoon following a meeting, but avoided all the homemade sweets and treats. Just being able to have the cider and know that it was perfectly compliant made all the difference for me. And the warmth of it hit the spot!

I graded papers all evening again, but this time decided to chew gum rather than dip into the Halloween goodie bowl. The gum strategy was a good one for me. It let me chew to relieve the tension while I was busy with the papers.
Thank you so much again for your encouraging words. You're right - it was just one day, and a pretty simple one at that compared to some that I've endured. If we lived closer Starla we'd be friends!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:52 pm

Days 48 & 49

S Days! and Halloween

I love this holiday! It's always been one of my favorites from childhood up (maybe I just never left my childhood! :roll: )

This morning we're off (daughter and her 2 children, DIL, her 3 children, and her mother) to another Halloween celebration for little ones. The downtown area of a nearby "metropolis" is having all kinds of games and trick-or- treating activities.

** edit - Bad time in the afternoon - succumbed to stress eating while grading papers all afternoon and evening...I know you can't fail on an S day, but this IS NOT what I want to be doing...ick, ick, ick.

Sunday - after church we took an afternoon ride to view the leaves in the valley...not at their peak yet, but incredibly beautiful all the same. It was a relaxing time and helped me to prioritize and get back on track...I needed the relaxation - something to keep in mind...

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:03 am

Day 50

November the 1st! Doesn't seem possible. I was home all morning due to parent/teacher conferences scheduled from 12 - 7. Experimented and walked about 10 minutes on my treadmill to see how my ankle would do. Seems to be all right, so maybe I will begin doing that each morning instead of Leslie Sanson. Need to change it up a bit.

NoS - eating was under control
B: bacon, egg and cheese sandwich, yogurt, coffee
L: hot dog & cheese on a slice of bread, a few chips
S: taco salad sponsored by our World Strides group

Day 51

Exercise: 14 minutes on treadmill :D

NoS:
B: PB crackers, banana, coffee
L: provided at today's inservice for teachers
S: TBD probably will stop and bring something home - music lessons tonight

Making this a red day...don't feel like explaining...

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Nov 03, 2010 10:05 pm

Day 52

Exercise: 14 minutes on the treadmill

NoS:
B: PB on English muffin, 1/2 banana, coffee, juice
L: navy beans, hot dog, grapes
S: grilled steak, baked potato, salad, yogurt

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:57 pm

Mimi, you are really sticking with it this round!

It's so nice to see your check-in every day - like seeing a friendly face on the boards.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Nov 04, 2010 11:07 am

I'm trying KCCC, I'm trying. I've had some reds, but I'm determined to see this through one year, no matter what, no matter how many reds, and see what happens to both my body and my mind. :lol:

I always check in on your thread each day, although I don't get a chance to comment very often. Just know that I am there and wishing you well with everything. Life is hard, my friend, there's no doubt about it.

Day 53

Exercise: did Leslie Sansone this morning...ankle/foot is sore from treadmill, so I did something a little milder.

NoS:
B: bacon, egg, and cheese on English muffin, 1/2 banana, juice, coffee
L: Lean Pocket, pretzels, grapes
S: Chicken sandwiches

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:05 pm

Day 54

No exercise this morning...made a conscious decision not to...foot and ankle are sore.

NoS:
B: leftover bacon, melted cheese on English muffin
L: PBJ sandwich, pretzels, grapes
S: Chicken Puffs, mashed potatoes, tossed salad

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:07 am

Days 55 & 56

S days!
Saturday - annual shopping trip in Northern Virginia with church group. Only 8 of us went this year, but it was so much fun! My daughter and I got some great shopping done. The best thing is that I found my "mother-of-the- groom" dress for my son's wedding in March. Also got my jewelry, shoes (silver), and matching clutch purse...I'm set! The dress is gorgeous and is very "classy" looking. I love it! It's a sapphire blue/platinum strapless gown with a little short-sleeved ballero jacket.
The bad part...trying on dresses in those terrible, unforgiving, dressing room mirrors set me back a little by starting up some head chatter again...you know, the non-stop voice saying, "Ugh! Look at that fat! Look at those rolls...blah, blah, blah. You're so gross!"
I do need to drop at least 20-30 pounds and work on toning up...but I am working on that. This past week was not a good one in terms of eating, but its behind me and I'm continuing on. Now that I have my dress it gives me even more incentive to continue my year with NoS.
Eating was good today and got plenty of walking in with 8 hours of shopping! :lol:

Sunday
Good eating today...stopped at Dairy Queen this evening on our way home from town and ate pumpkin pie mini-blizzards. Had a 1/2 of a S'more after dinner today and those were the only treats I had.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Nov 08, 2010 9:24 pm

Day 57

Exercise: 14 minutes combined on treadmill and rebounder

NoS:
B: small bowl of cereal with milk, coffee, juice
L: cottage cheese, pistachios, grapes
S: Mexican black bean burger stew in crock-pot, salsa, cheese, sour cream & tortilla chips
**edit - had a little bit of pumpkin ice cream (Edy's slow churn 1/2 the fat), but am not calling it a failure - I might need to do this a while.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:08 pm

Day 58

NoS:
B: 1/2 English muffin w/ Chocolate Dreams PB, piece of banana, juice, coffee
L: ??? taking 1/2 personal day today and will eat in town - something light
S: leftovers from last night - good, late night tonight - music lessons

**edit - nope...had mashed potatoes, broccoli, hot dog and cottage cheese...added ONE small cookie and milk

I have decided that since last week I was on such a slippery slope I might try something this week to help me out. I don't want to derail getting this close to the holidays...bad time for me. Sweets are my downfall - I don't take seconds (very rarely tempted to do that) or snack - UNLESS it would be a sweet snack - I can eat sweets at any time - for meals or in between...sigh...how sad is that.
So, if a small cookie filts on my plate in the evening or a couple spoons of dessert (2-3 bites) I'm going to allow that and see how it goes...just at the evening meal only. It might just keep me from "blowing it" - we'll see.
Last edited by mimi on Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:50 pm

It's fun to see that you do Leslie sonsone sometimes. I have several DVDs and tapes. I really like them. I can do 15-30-45 minutes if I want to and if I just get it in my head to do at least 1 "mile" I usually do more just because I want to. The newest couple that I have of hers include a jog. I can't stand my tredmill.

I'm not on here much, but I should be. I just get frustrated with not much progress... I check in sometimes. How are you doing?
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Nov 09, 2010 10:58 pm

~reneew wrote:It's fun to see that you do Leslie sonsone sometimes. I have several DVDs and tapes. I really like them. I can do 15-30-45 minutes if I want to and if I just get it in my head to do at least 1 "mile" I usually do more just because I want to. The newest couple that I have of hers include a jog. I can't stand my tredmill.

I'm not on here much, but I should be. I just get frustrated with not much progress... I check in sometimes. How are you doing?
How great to hear from you!!! I've missed you!!! How am I doing??? Not so well - had a bad week last week, but I'm determined to stick with NoS for a year to see what happens to my mind and body.
I was so inspired when I read Starla's post after one year of NoS and her subsequent 65 pound weight loss that I decided to commit myself to one year - no matter what. There's no quitting, no matter how many slip ups I might have.
I also have a wedding (my youngest son's) in March...talk about depressing when I tried on dresses this past weekend. I found a gorgeous dress and bought it - but the dressing room mirrors played havoc with my head...you know how unforgiving those mirrors are, don't you? Maybe it's just me. I usually don't try things on at the store. I take them home and if I don't like how they look, I take them back. I couldn't do that this time. We were shopping right outside of DC - like 2 hours from home.
Anyway, buying a formal dress was enough to spur me to eat right and exercise. This time of the year is very bad for me.
So keep in touch - whenever you check in, okay? Miss you!
Mimi

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:37 am

Day 59

Exercise: green - 14 minutes walking with LS - I really like her too Renee!

NoS:
B: 1/2 PB & banana sandwich, coffee, juice
L: cottage cheese, pistachio nuts, grapes
S: leftoever Mexican black bean stew from Monday...didn't have it last night.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:24 pm

Day 60

NoS:
B: egg, 1 slice bacon, 1/2 slice cheese on toast, juice, yogurt, coffee
L: Smucker's Uncrustable, pistachio nuts, grapes
S: TBD

**edit - sandwiches - quick. Mother-in-law not doing well. This visit was the worst in a long time...so sad...was upset the rest of the evening...drank milk instead of eating when we got home.

I just realized that Saturday morning will be weigh in day...another month has gone by and I'm two months in...wow! I've had slip ups this months and over-the-top weekends so I'm not anticipating any loss - maybe even a gain... :roll:

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:16 pm

Day 61

Exercise: walked for 20 minutes outside on our track after school. It was beautiful!

NoS:
B: 1/2 banana, muffin, oj, coffee
L: cottage cheese, baked chips, tangerine
S: Burger King - burger, onion rings, drink

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:21 pm

Days 62 & 63

S Days!

Saturday - today is two month mark and weigh-in day...sigh...I weigh 1/2 pound more than I weighed in October...sigh.
I knew it would probably be something like this, although I was expecting more of a weight gain than that due to all of my flub-ups this month.

**edit - got to thinking...I lost 5 pounds during month 1. If I take the 1/2 pound away, I averaged 2.25 pounds each month...which over a year's time would add up to 27 pounds gone. That works for me!

I am resolved to do better and see where I am in December...I don't need to be perfect - good enough will do.
Daughter and I are taking the kids to a Christmas craft class at Michaels this morning...really, I will be entertaining little boy (1 1/2 yo) We'll bring some trucks to play with! Then we're going to our newly remodeled Children's Museum and play. Should be a fun day!
Last edited by mimi on Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kccc

Post by kccc » Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Have a fun day!!!

On the No-S...if you were expecting worse, then you did better than you would have otherwise even with all the "flub-ups". And probably MUCH better than you'd have done with no effort. So, acknowledge where you are and move on. No beatings allowed - they don't help. :)

Enjoy your family day!

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:32 pm

KCCC wrote:Have a fun day!!!

On the No-S...if you were expecting worse, then you did better than you would have otherwise even with all the "flub-ups". And probably MUCH better than you'd have done with no effort. So, acknowledge where you are and move on. No beatings allowed - they don't help. :)

Enjoy your family day!
Thanks KCCC! We had a ball on Saturday! And you're right...I did MUCH better this past month than I would have done with no effort or control. I am where I am and will continue to work from here. No beatings!

Sunday - after church and dinner, we went for a ride - it was such a beautiful day. Bought a few Christmas gifts while we were out. Eating was terrible in the evening. Had a ton of papers to grade and ate way too many snacks. I know you can't "fail" on an S day, but it makes me feel awful to fall into old habits - S days or not.

Day 64

Exercise: green - 15 minutes on stationary bike

NoS:
B: 1/2 PB & banana sandwich, cheese stick, juice, coffee
L: cottage cheese, pistachio nuts, tangerine
S: leftover meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn, rolls, milk

So glad today is Monday and the weekend is over - simply because my eating is so much better during the week. I think I am going to write down a few positive thoughts to repeat to myself during the day, or maybe at the beginning and end of each day. It seems to me like some "stinkin' thinkin'" is infiltrating my thoughts. I need to squelch that - we know that we are what we think...and I want to think good, positive, things about myself!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:01 pm

Day 65

NoS:
B: 3 blueberry pancakes, small piece of banana, coffee, juice
L: 1/2 meatload sandwich, pistachio nuts, tangerine
S: ?? music night - we'll see

Made a list of positive affirmations to say to myself everyday - morning and evening is the plan. I might try to do them midday also. After all, you are what you believe you are.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:55 am

Day 66

NoS:
B: Fiber One cereal w/ milk, coffee, juice
L: Lean Pocket, pretzels, tangerine
S: salmon cakes, veggies (cole slaw?) mac & cheese?

Affirmations are seeming to put my mind in a better frame...will continue and see what happens.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:36 am

Day 67

NoS:
B: turkey sausage, egg, and cheese sandwich, coffee, juice
L: PB&J sandwich, Doritos, grapes
S: Healthy Choice chicken & rice soup, peanut butter crackers, dried fruit & nut mix

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:12 pm

Day 68

Exercise: no exercise - three of the grandchildren (1 1/2, 3, and 4 year old) are staying overnight tonight and I will need my energy! Fun! Fun! Fun!

NoS:
B: vanilla yogurt and granola, coffee, juice
L: crackers, grapes, pistachios
S: kid-friendly meal - chicken nuggets, fries in the oven, yogurt, salad

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:59 pm

Days 69 & 70

S days! Fun days! Had 3 of the kids over Friday night and until afternoon on Saturday.
Sunday was church and then whole family over for dinner. Youngest son (the recently engaged son) is traveling and won't be back until Dec. 18. He will be in Dallas with fiance and her family for Thanksgiving then traveling for work. So we all got together, ate, and just enjoyed each other's company for the afternoon. The five kids had a grand time together - they always do.
Eating was over the top on Friday night and Saturday...don't know what was going on unless it was a reaction to the stress of the week plus not getting any sleep much at all - poor youngest grandson just couldn't rest.
I've got to stop undoing all the good that I do through the week...

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:02 pm

Day 71

Exercise: green! Walked for 20 minutes outside this afternoon after school on the track. Beautiful weather!

NoS:
B: bacon, egg, and cheese sandwich, juice, coffee
L: roast beef & cheese sandwich, pretzels, pistachios
S: leftover pasta bake with meatballs, garlic bread, veggies of some kind

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:54 am

Day 72

Exercise: None yet...we were woken at 3:30 this morning with a phone call that my mother-in-law was sent to the hospital...maybe some exercise later - we'll have to see how things go.

NoS:
B: 1/2 PB & banana sandwich, 1/2 pop tart :oops: coffee, juice
L: roast beef & cheese sandwich, pretzels, pistachios
S:

kccc

Post by kccc » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:40 pm

Sending good wishes that everything with your Mother-In-Law is okay.

Take care of yourself.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:42 am

Thanks KCCC...she has pnemonia and they suspect sepsis (even though a culture response takes 24 hours) so they began a cocktail of antibiotics for that in addition to treating the lung infection...they asked the family to make some very difficult decisions yesterday, so I knew her situation was very grave, but by late evening her vitals were looking better although she still didn't recognize anyone or speak or anything like that - she remained totally out of it. We'll see what today brings. School is dismissed early for Thanksgiving, and then we'll go straight to the hospital to see what's what.
In the last few years her declining health has really taken a toll on my husband and that's hard for me to watch...but no one ever promised that life would be easy...whew...okay - enough.

Day 73

Holding my own...don't have time to list eating habits - and no exercise, but that's okay.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Nov 30, 2010 11:53 pm

Today is Tuesday, but I lost track of the day number...I think I will just let that go - it's really not important to do that. I was trying to stay with NoS for one year and see what happens. I'm continuing, but I will just not number the days.
Everything in our lives got turned upside down this past week and now we're trying to make some semblance of it again and regain some normalcy.
Sadly my mother-in-law passed away last Friday morning. She was improving a little and then Thanksgiving evening she took a turn in the other direction. Her doctor called and said we should all come in, so we knew her situation was very grave.
Without going into all the details, I was the only one with her when she passed the next morning. My husband is coping well, and even though most of her funeral arrangements had been prearranged several years ago, there was still so much to do and take care. We've been going nonstop. Our church and friends and family have been wonderful. My children took it very hard - they were all close to their grandmother. My middle son had to fly home from Dallas. He and my daughter wrote beautiful tributes for her. My son delivered his at the funeral and it was beautiful. My daughter had our Pastor read hers.
I stayed home today with my husband and we just hung out together - resting our minds and our bodies. We did fit in a half-hour walk and some time out together...it was a very much needed kind of day.
So, I haven't quit or given up...just was detoured for a few days. Tomorrow is December 1 and hopefully, back to normal for us.

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:43 pm

Oh, Mimi, I am sorry!

Hope that the loving community that so obviously surrounds your family will be a source of comfort.

Do take care of yourself during this emotional and difficult time.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:51 am

Struggling these days...I've tied my knot and am hanging on - barely. The impact of my MIL's death is hitting us hard now, several weeks later. I guess it's sinking in now. At first there are so many things to take care of, it all becomes a big blurr...but now there is time to think. She has always been a big part of our holidays since we first married, and visiting her several times every week for the last several years now leaves a big hole.

So I need to get back on the boards and track what I'm doing in these stressful days. Calling for snow tomorrow in our area, so maybe we'll get a snow day or at least a school delay! Yay! Friday is our last day before the holidays.

Exercise:
plan to walk inside the school building this afternoon - too cold and windy outside!

NoS:
B: oatmeal with walnuts and cranberries
L: ham & cheese sandwich, pretzels, and grapes
S: cooked red potatoes, Polish sausage, green peppers,onions & mushrooms stir-fry

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:52 am

Struggling these days...I've tied my knot and am hanging on - barely. The impact of my MIL's death is hitting us hard now, several weeks later. I guess it's sinking in now. At first there are so many things to take care of, it all becomes a big blurr...but now there is time to think. She has always been a big part of our holidays since we first married, and visiting her several times every week for the last several years now leaves a big hole.

So I need to get back on the boards and track what I'm doing in these stressful days. Calling for snow tomorrow in our area, so maybe we'll get a snow day or at least a school delay! Yay! Friday is our last day before the holidays.

Exercise:
plan to walk inside the school building this afternoon - too cold and windy outside!

NoS:
S: cooked red potatoes, Polish sausage, green peppers,onions & mushrooms stir-fry

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:55 am

Exercise:

NoS:

kccc

Post by kccc » Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:16 pm

Been thinking of you. Sending love, and best wishes. Loss is hard.

There's an artist I like, who has a gift for stories that resonate with life. Here is one for you.

Take care of yourself, and those around you.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:32 am

Remember, Mimi, you only fail when you quit - and you're not a quitter. Good enough is...good enough.

Day 1 - green for NoS and one hour of Zumba class, so green for exercise!

Day 2 - green for NoS
Very sad day for me today...my beloved 13 yo cat passed away this afternoon in my arms, and peacefully, thank the Lord. I will really miss my little pal - I already do.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Jul 16, 2011 3:06 am

Dearest mimi! I am so, so sorry to hear about your little cat's passing! We have two cats of our own who are getting up there in years too, and we could not imagine life without them, they are just like part of the family. Big ((((( hugs))))))))) It has been a rough few months for you recently with the passing of your MIL also. I am sorry that I did not see your message and respond to it before now but just wanted to let you know I was saddened to read about it and I am thinking of you and yours.

On a more positive note, I also wanted to add I have spent an enjoyable 15 mins or so reading over your food diaries and posts and it sounds like you are doing great. I really like your goal of a year on No S no matter what. It inspires me to keep going since I have had lots of ups and downs this year - literally ! with my weight and attempts to stick with No S. I keep chopping and changing when the going gets rough especially but in the end I always come back to No S and once I get a few straight N Days under my belt, I always start to feel better and more relaxed about my eating habits. But it is a rollercoaster ride of emotions, isn't it?

Anyway - just wanted to pop in and let you know I was thinking of you, hon and once again, so very sorry about your cat. All the best to you, from Roxy xx
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:10 pm

So glad to see you here!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:59 pm

Aww, so sorry to hear of both your losses. Bless you. :wink:
Berry

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:18 pm

Roxy, thank you so much for your very kind words...I think only people who have pets, or had pets, and love(d) them truly understand. Cinder Ella (Cindy) was a very special, somewhat pampered (okay, very spoiled), little Norwegian Wood kitty who made it her mission to brighten our lives. She was black and white with a little black spot beside her nose, so you could never take her quite seriously! She was a totally indoor cat, so very well behaved - she was always here and now there is a big "hole" in our house that I find myself walking around in the daytime, but falling into at night. I know I will get accustomed to life without her, maybe, but it will take a long time. She was a perfectly healthy, happy cat up until 3 weeks ago...or at least that's when we noticed something was going on. One morning my husband noted that she was looking "skinnier." On a long-haired, fluffy cat like her it's hard to notice, but once my attention was called to it, I saw it. I guess it was happening gradually, so even when she was in my lap (every time she could catch me sitting - but mostly in the evenings) I didn't notice it. So off to the vet we went where she ran senior blood work and discovered she had CRF (chronic renal failure). I was told it could be managed, but never cured, and some cats go on to live several more good years. Unfortunately for her, and us, it must have been much more advanced than anyone realized. She just went downhill after that, in spite of everything we tried to do for her. During her last week I was feeding her liquid food with a syringe. Being by her side and then just holding her in her final hours also brought up all the memories of being with my mother-in-law during her final hours...just a very tough couple of days. The older I get, the less I am able to cope with loss...maybe because I've had so much in my lifetime.
But enough, Roxy, just go find your cats, pick them up, and love them a little extra for me...and thank you for caring.

And Berry - thank you for stopping by too. I've been catching up with you on your thread...so glad you're doing so well. I admire your dedication and mindset and need to take notes from you!

tobiasmom you are most kind as well. I am glad to be back and welcomed by old friends.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:42 pm

Saturday - Sunday - S days - not a problem this weekend. I didn't have an appetite for much of anything. Hubby took me out yesterday afternoon for traditional Sunday afternoon ice cream, but that was about it for treats.

In January I realized that I had a very special wedding happening in March and with that realization, the old "diet head" slipped back in. You know, the one that tells you things like, "You need to do something that will bring faster weight loss. Do you want to be the fat mother-of-the-groom and waddle down the isle at your son's wedding?...etc., etc."
And so knowing better, but doing it anyway, I turned once again to dieting. I won't say which approach I took, but it was a new one for me, and it allowed me to lose 17 pounds in time for the wedding - which made me very happy. I felt like I looked good for the event, and certainly felt better - health-wise and mentally as well.
BUT...this approach allowed for snacking 3 times a day in addition to 3 meals...I can't believe I fell for it and undid all the habit building I had accomplished using NoS. Anyway, to bring this unfortunate and sad story to an end - once the wedding was over, so was the "diet." I maintained the loss up through the end of the school year where everything literally fell apart under all the stress. I ate and ate and gained back 4 pounds of my loss and the snacking three times a day morphed into permasnacking all day...disasterous all the way around. What a mess!
So I have come back to the only way of eating and dealing with food issues that I know of that works for me...NoS. I will rebuild good habits and rid myself, once again, of the "diet head" mentality.
I will only become a failure if I quit trying - and quitting is not an option for me.
Mimi

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:22 am

Monday, July 18 - a green day for NoS. Had to have a glass of milk before bed to stave off the munchies. I am suffering the residual effects of the "diet" I turned to back at the first of the year...how could I have been so foolish?! I will take Bright Angel's advice now, and whenever I feel the compulsion to "try" or "change" something, it will need to fit within the parameters of NoS. Building habits takes time, and I will need to be patient. I think I have really learned a valuable lesson here, and that's what's important.
I have been trying to keep myself busy by cleaning out drawers, closets, and bookshelves. Lots of work, but unfortunately, nothing that anyone can notice... :roll: It's therapeutic for me and that's what I need right now.

Tuesday, July 19 - had a good breakfast and off to Zumba class this morning for an hour. Then on to piano lessons and a few errands. Will be afternoon by the time I return.
Lunch will be leftovers from supper last night (grilled chicken) and maybe chicken puffs for supper tonight? TBD
** Ended up having salmon cakes, macaroni salad, cooked broccoli and carrots, tomatoes from the garden, and sweet cherries. Yum! Enjoying a cup of coffee now!
Feel good about my meals and exercising today...feel good about working on good habits again.
Last edited by mimi on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:01 pm

Wednesday, July 20 - green day today.

B - oatmeal w/ raisins and milk
L - PB & J sandwich, pretzels, 2 clementines
S - grilled chicken, pasta salad, cukes and tomatoes from garden, sweet cherries

No exercise today other than playing with 3 of my little grandkids today. (The other 2 are on vacation at Disney this week). Spent the day with them while my son and husband worked on a "project."
Seeing their kitty today made me sad :cry:

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:07 pm

I LOVE your signature. I have been starting to slip. SO I am going to tie a knot and hang on!

Your posts this week have been so encouraging for me. I have toyed with the idea of quitting numerous times....and I keep coming back to the big reality that this is the ONLY plan I've ever been able to stick to for any length of time! This is for life.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:22 pm

I'm glad my signature thoughts are helpful and encouraging to you tobiasmom! They help me too...during the many months straight that I have followed NoS, my life was so much calmer and more peaceful and EASIER, really. I have been dieting since I was 12 (and I wasn't really overweight then - just larger than my friends, if that makes sense). I was always looking to look "like" someone else or "be" like someone else. For some reason, being me and looking like me was never good enough...and it followed me into adulthood. I have worked very hard to leave behind negativity and have been rather successful with that - but always feeling "fat" is the one thing that I have not conquered to date. I believe within my heart that living a NoS life of moderation can help me to achieve that goal.
Let's continue to support and encourage each other and it will happen. We just need to get through one day at a time.
Mimi

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:19 pm

Happy Thursday!
Had an hour of Zumba this morning and two successful meals so far. My husband and I usually grocery shop on Thursday evenings and eat out somewhere - nothing fancy - fast food or buffet of some kind. I'll be fine. Last night I didn't have to resort to drinking milk to ward off the munchies - that's a good sign!

Ended up going after groceries this afternoon rather than evening, so I cooked. It was so hot, 99 degrees, so we stopped for giant sugar-free cherry/apple Slurpees from 7-11 on the way home. They hit the spot - very refreshing! We had fried summer squash from the garden, pasta salad, and grapes. It was delicious!
And so ends a green day for me.

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is a picture of my sweet little Cindy who's been gone a week now...this was taken almost two years ago when I was dealing with a broken ankle. She was my constant little companion, staying by my side (or in my lap!) for the entire time I was housebound and not working.
I miss her dearly, but I'm coping with this too...one day at a time.

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:17 pm

mimi :D !!! so :D to see you back!! I am sorry to read about you dear Cindy. Pets can become such an important part of our lives, can't they? Our little dog past the day I retired. He was 18 and getting feeble. we were wondering how we could travel with him or without him and..he seemed to solve that problem for us. Of course, I felt guilty then! That was ten years ago and I still think of him whenever I see a dog w/ the same cute little face..and miss him! :cry:
I did the same thing for a wedding yeas ago (my step-daughter's)as you!! .. Dropped several dress sizes.. for a day!! I didn't have NoS to return to and WW just wasn't doing it since I lost the motivation of fitting into a cute outfit in a smaller size.. so I just ate my way back to my old weight and then added 10 pounds for good measure! Thank heaven for NoS!!
I missed you and am glad you found me and wrote on my thread!
I'll be visiting you often!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

kccc

Post by kccc » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:32 pm

Mimi - so sorry for your loss! :(

Glad the wedding went well, and just glad to see you.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:23 pm

Thanks for the kind words Grammy and KCCC - they mean so much.
Last night my husband and I went out to water some plants and flowers. It was almost dark and when we were finished we sat for a few moments on the steps. Out of nowhere a little black cat - no lie - maybe a year old or so, came up to us. He/she? rubbed and rubbed and loved all over me. I just had to laugh, and my husband was flabbergasted. He asked, "Do you EVER recall anything like this happening, or seeing ANY cats around here like this?"
We both sat there for a moment and then almost at the same time we both laughed and said, "Cinder reincarnated!"
Anyway, I know it's not, the little thing belongs to someone around the neighborhood because it was sooooo friendly...but it did make me feel better.
We we got up to go back in the house he went off as mysteriously as he came.

My son's and DIL's wedding was absolutely beautiful. Both my little grandaughters were the flower girls and two of my grandson's were little ringbearers. The only one who didn't participate was my 2yo grandson. He just made it a point to flirt with every pretty girl he encountered and wow them with his beautiful blue eyes! Their reception was held in an old restored theater which was quite an event. They honeymooned in Hawaii and that brings me to my second "little" story...

They brought me back a plumeria plant (which was really quite ugly...looked like a stick in a plastic bag!). Anyway, I planted it and put it outside on the patio since it was warm. It has sprouted leaves like crazy, and today it bloomed! I was thrilled...just one bloom, but it's dark pink and beautiful.

I did a 20-minute Zumba workout here at home today, got in some piano practice and worked on sorting through my clothes. I have finally decided that if something doesn't fit (too small :cry: ) it's going! No more hanging onto things in hopes that I will lose a little more weight and it will fit. I think that type of thinking is unhealthy for me and feeds my diet head. So I filled a couple trashbags and will make a trip to the Good Will tomorrow.

Made zucchini lasagna (I make mine w/o pasta) tonight with a green salad. Delicious! Love having a garden and summer vegetables.

So...today is green for exercise and NoS. Yay!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:58 am

Happy Saturday all! Another very hot one here in our area...seems to be the norm for a huge part of the country - maybe a break early next week...Tuesday?

I'm sad again this morning for some reason, maybe because I'm alone. Hubby's off working on a project with our oldest son. I think he'll be back after lunch. So in the meantime, I'll busy myself. I need to take the clothes I gathered to Good Will or Salvation Army. I need to get them out of the house because I know me...even though I tied the bags shut, I'll start thinking about certain items and next thing I know, I'll be digging them out. Why is it so hard for me to get rid of clothing? Maybe because I didn't have much growing up? I am a very sentimental person too, and keep everything associated with a good memory. That doesn't help either...but it has kept me busy recently as I go through the grieving process. I've had a lot of "stuff" to go through and get rid of! And it does feel good to clean out!

I have decided to adhere to another "principle" (I don't want to use the word rule - that just makes me want to rebel!). In the future, whenever I purchase an item of clothing, I will try it on first. If it doesn't fit, it stays at the store. If I'm short on time and have to try it on after I get home, if it doesn't fit, it gets returned. I am so bad to buy something really cute and even though it doesn't quite fit the way I'd like, I think it will be a good incentive to drop a few pounds and keep it. In reality, the item hangs in the closet, eventually forgotten... :oops: So, establishing and working on habits don't always have to revolve around eating and food for me.

I feel like I will have to be very careful today since I am an emotional eater...and feeling very vulnerable. My plan is that if I feel that I am going to succumb to overeating S's or binging, I will head to 7-11 for a sugar-free Slurpee - sweet and filling, but not damaging. Maybe I need to get a small bag of Jolly Ranchers too...I remember Renee´used to keep them on hand and called them her "panic button." She would suck on one of them until the crisis was over...a thought.

So, I'm off to keep busy. Stay cool everyone!

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jul 25, 2011 1:33 am

S-Days!
Got through yesterday without any over-the-top mishaps. I did go and get a big Slurpee on my way back from dropping off clothes, which was great in the 100 degree weather!
Kept busy the remainder of the day - worked on an arrangement of a song I wanted to play at church today...started a new book...didn't have to prepare any supper because we were having leftovers. Good day overall.
Today we had some much needed rain. We just hung around the house in the a/c and enjoyed each other's company. Went to DQ for a Blizzard in the late afternoon. I am very pleased with my weekend!
Starting a 90-day challenge tomorrow...by the time it's over I will be another year older and married another year longer! (Birthday and anniversary are in October!) :lol:
I will also be back in school... :cry: Where has the summer gone?!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:09 am

Monday, July 25 - Green day for NoS and exercise. Visited with my daughter and two little grandchildren who just got back from a wonderful week's vacation in Orlando at Disney World. The kids (2 and soon-to-be-4-yo) are crazy about Mickey, Minnie, the rest of the gang and, of course, all the princesses! They LOVED Disney World and had a fantastic time!
They have a swimming pool and so we swam and frolicked and I got my exercise time in.
No food issues today, although I was really hungry this evening for dinner. We ate unusually late and I was ready to eat! Everything tasted really good...it's amazing the difference it makes when you are really hungry.
Tomorrow I will go to my last Zumba class for the summer. I won't be going on Thursday because I have a hair appointment. Hopefully someone will do classes at school for us once we get back (which is August 11 BTW). Afterwards I have a piano lesson and then my daughter and I are going to meet up for lunch and a pedicure...looking forward to it!

tobiasmom

hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:50 pm

I cannot wait to take Tobias to Disney World! That sounds like so much fun!

I have tried Zumba once or twice. Super fun workout! I just have a real issue getting there with my hubby's schedule. Have you tried the videos? Maybe I should look into those.....

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:37 pm

So glad to see you posting again Mimi. I well remember the dog incident and the broken ankle.

The wedding sounded wonderful and I bet your flower bloom only reminded you of that special day.

As I said earlier, very sorry about the loss of your precious pet. Grief is the price we pay to love, but sometimes it is a heavy price indeed.

Wishing you the very, very best.
:wink:
Berry

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:58 pm

Hi mimi - just read the news about your pet and I'm so sorry! Thinking of you and yours.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:21 pm

tobiasmom - your son will absolutlely love Disney World...they resesarched and planned for about 6 months to make sure they utilized their time (and money) to the uttermost. Little Liam is absolutely in LOVE with Cinderella. He got kisses from ALL the princesses and for the 3 days they visited Magic Kingdon he wore lipstick prints on both cheeks!
I really have enjoyed Zumba this summer, but since I'm not sure about a class after this, I ordered some CD's from Amazon...they had the best price. I got the Zumba Total Body Transformation System (4 CDs for $54.95) plus the Zumba sticks. I really like it.
http://www.amazon.com/Zumba-Fitness-Tot ... TF8&qid=13 You can also order used, for even more savings.

Thanks Roxy...I am still struggling without her, but time will help. I just really miss the little thing - especially in the evenings when she kept my lap warm. Thanks for caring.

And my old friend Berry...I'm so glad the dog incident and ankle trauma are things of the past! Although because of the dog incident, I can no longer walk in the evenings by myself. My husband can't always go with me, so I have turned to other forms of exercise - stationary bike, exercise DVDs and most recently, Zumba classes.
The wedding was a long awaited beautiful day...my son looked for a long time to find his soulmate - and find her he did. She is an incredible woman and they are very happy together - they compliment each other very well.
And thanks for your thoughts on grief...we wouldn't feel it if it weren't for love...and what would we do without love. Thank you my friend.

Tuesday, July 26 - Hmmm...technically a red day for me in terms of NoS.... a green one in terms of pleasure and exercise...here's what happened. Started the day with an hour of sweat-producing Zumba - but a great class! Then, it was on to a piano lesson - which was a good one. Met my daughter after that and we lunched at Ruby Tuesdays. Had a great salad, the new Zucchini Minis and roasted spaghetti squash. On my! It was so good - but more than one plate, so I brought home one mini and half the squash...so far, so good!
Then we drove out to her new school (she switched counties this year) where she will be a reading specialist, and dropped off some of her things in her new classroom. Then we visited with the assistant principal who is a former teaching teammate of mine. (Such a small world...her principal was my assistant principal for 10 years and my daughter taught his two daughers when they were in 1st grade!) We reminisced for awhile and then it was on to pedicures! First we stopped at Sheetz and got frozen SF mochas - that's tradition! We played Scrabble on her iPad while they worked on our feet. Afterwards did a little shopping and then it was home - just in time to find my hubby looking for something to eat for dinner. I had leftovers from the night before, but he opted for a good 'ol tomato from the garden sandwich, salad and sardines! (What a combination!) I had a grilled chicken salad and grapes. Still good, in terms of NoS. Then later...hubby asked for popcorn - real, not microwaved. He doesn't ask very often, so I got out the stove Whirli popper and made him some with olive oil...and then I ate a small bowl too...a snack...a failure in terms of vanilla NoS.
But I have marked it and moved on. I have my daughter's two little ones today for the day. It's their anniversary and she and her husband are going to lounge by the pool and eat out. She'll pick them up before church tonight. I will get plenty of exercise playing with them - but I'm not sure about formal exercise!

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:49 am

Wednesday, July 27 - totally GREEN day! Yay! Enjoyed having the kids so much - have missed them since our week at the beach (I got used to seeing them every day!) and their trip to Disney! We played and played all day - no naps, but what are days with grandmothers supposed to be like?!

Have a hair appointment today so I'll miss my last Zumba class :cry: , but I'm excited to get a haircut and have my highlights done again...it's been about 6 months - in fact, she did them for the wedding...time flies! Hubby and I are going to spend the afternoon together riding trails in the side-by-side. I'll really enjoy that and it will be cool!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:46 pm

Thursday, July 28 - Green day! Hair appointment in the morning - she decided not to do my highlights until in September...that way she said they'll look nice for the holidays...we'll see. But got a very badly needed haircut - and before the school rush begins! I'm pleased with it.
Spent the afternoon riding in the side-by-side with hubby. I really enjoyed it, but it was hot whenever we stopped. We saw lots of deer in our travels and also a black BEAR! He was sitting in a stagnant water hole, cooling himself I suspect, and we startled him - he went running off through the woods! That's a first! Kind of scary - he wasn't little!
Went to bed really hungry last night! Reminded myself of Roxy's revelation that being hungry is a GOOD thing because it means that your body is burning up some of the reserves - and you haven't overeaten!
No exercise - have to do better!

Friday, July 29 - Green day! Scorcher here again today! So tired of this weather...our yard looks pitiful, but can't afford to water it all everyday. Spent the day shopping for food and running other errands in trying to get ready to go away on Monday. Did several big loads of laundry, so there were many trips up and down the stairs...feel sure I got more than my 20 minute minimum of exercise.

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:23 pm

Saturday, July 30 & Sunday, July 31 - S days! Nothing over the top! Got in plenty of walking on Saturday. Went to an antique truck and tractor show complete with flea market. It was VERY hot, but enjoyable anyway. Our son, DIL and three grandchildren went too, so we had an enjoyable day!
Sunday was spent packing, running errands, changing oil, etc. after church to get ready for mini-vacation.

Monday, August 1 - got up early and left the house at 6:00. Drove about 400 miles to Gatlinburg, TN to spend the week in the Smokies. Haven't been down here for several years. Going to Dollywood on Wednesday - I love it there. I have decided to take this week as S days if I need to...after all, that's what taking a vacation is, right?! I will keep things reigned in and should get plenty of exercise each day - walking, hiking, etc.

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:41 am

Tuesday, August 2 - green day! Not much time for an update, but a quick one...spent the day riding through the Smokies...LOTS of exercise including hiking to the higest point in the Smokies - Clingman's Dome (literally "on top of ol' Smokey," huh?!) and also a 30 minute walk in the evening. No S's - just three meals. Ate at the best BBQ place - yum! Just one plate and couldn't finish that - had to give hubby some of the cole slaw and pulled pork.
Dollywood on Wednesday - sure to have S's - the food's too great there!

Grammy G

Post by Grammy G » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:53 pm

Sounds like fun! We have not spent much time in that area and it is something we need to do. Enjoy the adventure!
"If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think another negative thought."
Peace Pilgrim

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:20 am

You really should, Grammy - such lovely views and scenery...Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are SUCH tourist traps, but fun. The area in Pigeon Forge has grown so much since we were there last...and it's only been 4-5 years. So glad we were there through the week and not over the weekend - traffic is terrible there!

Wednesday, August 3 - spent a delightful day at Dollywood. Saw a James Rogers show - have been entertained by him over the last 25 years that he has been perofrming at Dollywood - very talented! Exercise was not a problem - heat was! It was 104 degrees at 10:00 a.m. and only grew hotter. Thank goodness for water rides! Eating was not a problem either - I don't have much appetite when I am out in the heat like that.

Thursday, August 4 - tried to visit Cade's Cove, but there were downed trees from the severe storm in the night, sooooo we spent the remainer of the day in Pigeon Forge...ate at a giant Wood Grill restaurant - was very good. Walked into Gatlinburg from our hotel in the evening. Had some ice cream, but no evening meal since I was still full from lunch.

Friday, August 5 - walked into Gatlinburg for breakfast instead of eating at the hotel...that's the only exercise today! Sat in the car for the 6-hour ride home. Unpacked and relaxing now watching a movie. Tomorrow is my little granddaughter's 4th birthday party - Tinkerbell theme. Thankfully I visited a Disney store while we were in Pigeon Forge, so I have all kinds of Tinkerbell things for her! I love family birthday parties! Glad it's an S-day too!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:13 am

Saturday, Aug. 6 - S day! Caught up on all the vacation laundry this morning. Then birthday party/pool party this afternoon. We had lots of fun and she loved all her gifts - she's such a sweet little thing!
Had a big storm while she was opening presents - rain, finally! Everything is so brown and dried up around here, it's pitiful.
Food was not a problem today. Had toast and p/b for breakfast, grilled chicken salad for lunch and BBQ chicken and salads at the party...then cake and mints these are homemade mints that are to die for. My daughter always makes them for family birthdays and other get-togethers and I ate too many of them...but it is an S day.

Sunday, August 7 - S-Day! We ate garden tomato sandwiches for Sunday dinner today, for lack of anything else. Needless to say, we had to grocery shop this afternoon. Ate a hot dog and Berry Sundae while in Costco...fudge that we brought home with us from vacation, and a few miniature chocolates. I felt it was a little over the top - but I know why. I will be going back to work on Thursday and the stress is starting to set in...why am I such an emotional eater?

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:58 pm

Monday, August 8 - green day for NoS...I knew I had to get back on track TODAY! Weighed this morning and I am exactly the same as I was before vacation - so, I evidently walked off any extra calories that I consumed while away.
Tomorrow my daughter and I are taking little granddaughter to a birthday tea at a local tea house. This is a tradition we began last year and decided to continue with it since it was soooooo much fun. We even went to one with Mrs. Claus this past Christmas. I guess I will make it an S-event - don't want to make it an entire S-day. On Wednesday, one of my friends invited me to a pool party as one last hurrah before we return to work on Thursday. Everyone is bringing snacks. Oh, my...how to handle this one? I need to have a plan before going in so I won't completely derail. I usually fall into failure when I fail to have a plan. I'll think on this one...I should just swim and say I'm not hungry - or tell the truth and say I'm not snacking. I just don't want to have to offer any explanations to anyone - know what I mean?

Who Me?

Post by Who Me? » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:48 pm

Honestly, I think saying "oh gosh ... No thanks" covers it. You can decline without explaining.

determined

Post by determined » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:24 pm

Who Me? wrote:Honestly, I think saying "oh gosh ... No thanks" covers it. You can decline without explaining.
Mimi...I second this. I recently went to a pool party & they had more snacks than people could consume. I just stayed away from the table & said, "No thanks, I'm fine", and no one even noticed that I wasn't eating. And, no one cared. It felt amazing to have control over the food instead of the usual other way around.

I read on another thread that you haven't been feeling well. I just went through some tests with my dr. & she found that my Vitamin D levels were just plain non-existent. We live in an area where there are far more cloudy days than sunny. I've been on a mega-dose of D for a couple of months (as well as some other supplements) & I feel so much better. Someone wrote on that thread that they didn't realize how bad they were feeling until they felt so much better & that's exactly true for me too. It's just a thought...perhaps your Vitamin D is low, as well. Whatever is out of whack, I do hope you'll be able to figure it out soon & feel 100% quickly.

You're doing great!

janie
"Rivers know this: there is no hurry. We shall get there some day."
Winnie the Pooh

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:07 pm

Hi Mimi! I actually rehearse "no thanks". It's quick and less painful. Another thing might be to show up a bit late after eneryone has had theirs. Or, plan that to be a meal and hope there is something other than sweets. If not, bring mixed fruit.

The vitamin D does help. I've been very anemic for years and my Dr. finally did the blood work on me. I was extremely low on iron and vitamin D. I take those daily now with my thyroid pill (hypothyroidism
). I'm slowly feeling better too. Having to take all of those pills make me feel old (I'm 44) but I guess I need them. I thought that with all of the food I ate I must be getting enough... I guess not.
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

NoSnacker

Post by NoSnacker » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:43 pm

Hi, Vitamin D is also good for breast health. I live in the North East so probably 90% of the people are low. I also found that there are higher incidences of breast cancer, MS, and Lupus and I bet due to the lack of sun (vitamin D).

My levels are finally normally with taking 2,000 mcg's a day, that was followed by prescription D.

Just putting my 2 cents in :).
Age 56: SBMI=30.6 (12/1/13) CBMI 28.9 (2/2/14) GBMI-24.8

mimi

Post by mimi » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:33 pm

Thanks guys! I wouldn't be surprised if my vitamin D levels were low...we very seldom have a sunny day all day long, and even so, I'm indoors most of the time - at least during the week anyway.
I am taking biotin and am seeing some improvement...with my cuticles, in particular. They were always so dry and full of hangnails. I don't think I have a hangnail ONE at the moment. I did however, have to drop back to just two capsuls a day instead of 3, so I'm not quite getting 5,000 mcg. I started to get huge pimple-like sore bumps along my jawline and cheeks. I never had a pimple in my life (well, maybe one or two!), but these were horrible. I saw online they can be a side effect of taking biotin for some people, so I dropped back on the dosage and the situation has improved dramatically! The last bump has almost disappeared!
So, here's what's been going on:

Tuesday, August 9 - had two slips with sweets so it turned out being a red day for me...I had planned on taking an S-event for my granddaughter's Princess tea for her birthday, but I also ate 2 of my daughter's homemade mints before we went...sigh. But just take a look at this...how could this day be ANYTHING but a golden day! We had such a good time. My little grandson sat across from me and drank pink lemonade out of a little Peter Rabbit cup. My granddaughter felt so grownup pouring her own lemonade from her little teapot into her little tea cup.

Wednesday, August 10 - last day of summer vacation for me...back to school tomorrow - teacher workday anyway. So, to treat myself, I stopped at Dairy Queen and bought a medium turtle pecan blizzard, ate it for lunch, and then went and treated myself to a spa pedicure. It was heavenly! The rest of the day was green, but ice cream for lunch clearly violates the "no sweets" clause of NoS. Another RED day for me...sigh...and the worst part is I didn't feel one speck badly about doing it. :oops:
Forgot to mention that the pool party was postponed...there I fretted about snacking for nothing! Maybe that's why I felt I "deserved" a Blizzard for lunch - I'm such an emotional eater. I've got to work harder on that. But I appreciate the good advice from Janie, Who Me? and Renee...I can and should say, "No thanks - don't care for any!" without feeling like I'm hurting someone's feelings. My feelings count too!
Last edited by mimi on Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

kccc

Post by kccc » Thu Aug 11, 2011 7:11 pm

What an adorable picture! :)

Ice cream for lunch... I did that once with all my roomies in college. Our AC was out, we were broke... and we literally found $$ on the street. About $16, no one around. So we decided to splurge and get one of the Baskin-Robbins creations as our meal. (A banana split is really too much to eat unless it's a meal.) I don't think I've eaten that much ice cream in one sitting before or since. But it's a great memory. Hope you enjoyed yours as much!

And hope school goes well for you!![/i]

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:53 pm

Hi MIMI!! First of all - your photo is indeed ADORABLE! You both look lovely in this photo and you can see a definite family resemblance - thank you for sharing :) :)

Next - glad to hear that the biotin is working for you. Its amazing!! Not a wonder dr*ug but not far off it. I usually take the 2 capsules but sometimes (particularly if I forget to take a dose the day before) I take 3. I'm a little worried about what all this biotin might be doing to me 'internally' however, fingers crossed, I haven't had any adverse affects. Sorry to hear that you got some acne - I didn't realize that was one of the side effects. So far, touch wood, I haven't had acne but I used to have it as a teenager so I may be susceptible if I took 3 capsules over a period of time? My nails have improved greatly since taking the biotin as well. But I still get occasional breakage.... not sure if that's down to using the keyboard but I suspect it doesn't help. My hair has certainly filled out quite a bit but I still have slight thinning. I suppose it takes a long time and I just have to be patient and carry on taking the supplement. I certainly feel a lot better since I started taking it, mentally and physically. I too, take Vit D (2000 mcg a day) and a calcium supplement - on the advice of my dr. I'm borderline hypothyroid so I don't take any meds for this. Just as well, at this rate - I might start rattling!!! :lol:

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:25 am

Thanks KCCC and Roxy! All my grandchildren are so precious...I'm definitely prejudiced, I'm sure you can tell! They're so sweet and I love spending time with them.

Ice cream might as well be my middle name KCCC - I could eat it morning, noon, and night - every day! As a rule, I don't bring it into the house, and I limit it to Sunday afternoons when hubby takes me out for it. That's been a ritual as long as we've been married...which is a long time! This was a splurge - you know, poor me has to go back to work tomorrow!

Roxy, the side affect of the biotin occurred within a few days of starting it, so I don't think you'll be bothered with any acne - you would have seen it by now. I haven't noticed any difference with my hair yet, but definitely with my fingernails and cuticles...that much is amazing!

Thursday, August 11 - So, here's how my first day back at school went...since it was a flex day there were no meetings or anything. I was able to work in my classroom all day. The nice surprise was that all teachers in our county got a brand new all-in-one desktop iMac computer - beautiful! I spent a good deal of time hooking all my technology back up and accomplished quite a bit. And then when I got home...

The first disaster happened when I was reheating some chicken nuggets in the microwave - hubby was eating up leftovers and I was having a grilled chicken salad. Well, daughter called and I got distracted with the call and failed to check the nuggets until I smelled them and saw smoke. To make a long story short, the microwave was smoking so badly, we had to carry it outside...the house still smells like something burned!

The second disaster happened when I spilled an entire cup of coffee on the
kitchen floor. What a mess! Splattered everywhere.

In spite of everything, today has been a GREEN day...proud of me!

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:18 pm

Friday, August 12 - Amazingly, I finished up in my classroom by noon...and some of my friends have been wanting to go see The Help which just opened here on Wednesday. I read the book last fall and absolutely LOVED it...it's probably one of my all-time favorite books - the kind, you know, when you finish the last page and close the book you want to turn it over and start all over again!
So a bunch of us went to a matinee - and here's how I handled the popcorn issue ('cause who can go to a movie and not eat popcorn? :roll: ) I got a small bag and a medium diet drink and called it lunch. I enjoyed every kernel - and the movie was great! It followed the book pretty well and stayed with the storyline. Great way to spend an afternoon!
So, I'm counting today as a GREEN day!

determined

Post by determined » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:48 pm

What a great idea to call that lunch! Well done!!!

I think I'm heading to my library's website to put "The Help" on hold!

janie
Winnie the Pooh

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:36 pm

determined wrote:What a great idea to call that lunch! Well done!!!

I think I'm heading to my library's website to put "The Help" on hold!

janie
Yeah, I was pleased with myself for handling the movie deal like that...I didn't feel deprived or "on a diet", just enjoyed an afternoon with friends immensely.

I hope you love the book as much as I did! If we lived closer I'd lend you mine!

Mimi :D

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:10 am

Hi mimi! Thanks for the reassurance re. the biotin and the acne. No acne, but I have got a slight skin rash on the inside of my leg, just above the knee. It's bearable though. I put some gold bond on it and it seems to have calmed it down. Without going on too much about the biotin (seems to be all I talk about these days, lol!), I think my body can tolerate high levels of it since if I can recall that far back, I had been taking 3 caplets on a daily basis a few years ago. Interestingly, I was around 150 - 160 lbs then!!??

I also read online someone recommending that you should space your dosage throughout the day rather than one large dose in the morning (as I do) since its water soluable i.e. gets excreted from the body pretty quickly. However, I'd say to anyone trying it, go with what suits you.

BTW, Glad you had a good night out!!

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:21 am

Roxy - I take one caplet in the morning and one in the evening...I was taking one midday until the gross pimples started! Since I only take two now, the pimple problem is gone! Thank goodness! Pimples at my age just don't cut it!

Saturday, August 13 - S day! Got up REALLY early and went to my son's house to sit with the kids (who were all sleeping) while he and my DIL went to set up for a yard sale...and this isn't any ordinary yard sale! It takes place every year and is called a yard crawl - spans about 60 miles up and down Route 11 from New Market to Stephens City (close to Winchester). She ended up selling most everything by 3 p.m. and made $265! I worked on some things for school in the afternoon and that's about it. Had some chocolate...that's all.

Sunday, August 14 - S day! Heard a really good sermon this morning at church on discouragement...I really needed to hear that one. Daughter, SIL, and kiddos came home after church and we had a pizza fest from Dominos...haven't done that in a while. My daughter brought a homemade apple pie and we had that for dessert with some vanilla ice cream. Yum! Hubby and I had some popcorn this evening and those were my S's today. Tomorrow (since we both worked our two flex days) my daughter and I plan to go walking in the morning and then take the kids to lunch and then to see The Smurfs...should be a fun day! Then it all hits the fan on Tuesday. First official day back to school and open house in the evening...it will be a long day, hopefully not stressful. The rest of the week is full of back-to-back meetings with VERY little time in the classroom. It will be a hectic week and then the kids return on the 23rd.
Might not have much time to post...we'll see.

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:30 am

Sounds good, mimi! I take the 2 caplets all at once, first thing in the morning. Apparently, by doing so i am not getting the full benefit of the biotin - however, I would forget to take it again in the evening so I prefer to take it all at once first thing. Again, whatever suits the individual is great. :D I have had great results so far, but it may be interesting to see what happens if I tried taking one in the am and one in the pm....?

I was reading on another forum that some people like to supplement biotin with Vit b complex supplement as well and have been reporting great results; but I think that might be overkill?

Glad you had an enjoyable weekend, mimi. I had fun reading about your yard sale. So envious! Wish our town would hold something like this!! Have a great time at the movies tomorrow. The smurfs are so cute - I remember them first time around in the late 70s / early 80s. Nice to see them making a comeback!!! :lol: :lol:

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Dec 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Have been lurking and catching up on everyone and everything for a week now...what a crazy school year this has been. In a nutshell, the worst year I have had in my entire teaching career...I'm talking students, not teaching assignment. It was so bad at the start, I think I cried at least 3 or 4 nights a week after I got home. I was having such bad behavior problems, that I was beginning to question myself as a teacher. In looking back, I believe I was also grieving the loss of my pet. She was sick and died so suddenly that I didn't have time to process everything - and then it was back to school.
I have never experienced true depression - just a "blue funk" day now and then, but I truly believe I was in a depression...it got to the point where I wasn't eating - and when I was, it wasn't healthy. I wasn't exercising, I wasn't smiling, I wasn't happy. I cried every day. I hated going to school each day - which was a first. Finally, my husband said, "Look, you have to make yourself exercise. You have to try to help yourself. I think if you do, you will start feeling better. Start very small, but please start."
What a wise man he is. I did start...15 minutes on the treadmill in the mornings before school. I thought that I couldn't - but I did it anyway. Then in October we began having a Zumba instructor come to our school on Tuesday and Thursday afternoons. I joined that also. And after nine weeks of school they finally made some changes in my student enrollment...two of the very bad offenders were moved out, and the third, unfortunately, was convicted of a felony and two misdemeanors, and was removed from school. Just those three changes altered my entire teaching day.
Then on Halloween night, a little stray black kitten "adopted" us. I tried to find out where he belonged, but to no avail, so we kept him. I named him Boo (what else do you name a Halloween kitty?!) I didn't think I was ready for another cat, but he has helped me tremendously. I have forgotten how much fun kittens can be - and also how much energy they have!
So I am feeling very much back to my "old" self at this point. I never want to feel the way I did again.
Now I want to concentrate on getting things back in order by getting back to No Essing and my habits of no snacking and no sweets during the week.
I know I can do it.
I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday and is looking forward to great things in 2012.
Mimi

determined

Post by determined » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:51 pm

Mimi...

So nice to have you back & it's wonderful that you're feeling more & more like yourself again.

I had an awful winter last year & I know how difficult it is to get back out of that "blue funk". Sounds as if you're in a much better place!

Cyber-hugs...janie
Winnie the Pooh

mimi

Post by mimi » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:52 pm

Thanks Janie - I am in a much better place and I appreciate the hugs!

Dec. 28 - GREEN day...not difficult. It was a pretty day and I spent part of it out shopping. Didn't get much, but it was nice just to get out of the house for a little and away from the kitchen!!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:31 am

Dec. 29 - My sister's birthday! Called her to wish her a happy one...exercise today was 55 minutes of cardio Zumba. Went to my daughter's and we did a DVD together. Fun!
A Green for meals today too!
Started reading a book yesterday entitled Change Your Habits, Change Your Life - so far, so good.

mimi

Post by mimi » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:29 pm

Well, here we are...Dec. 31 - the last day of the year. It is so nice not to be counting down and planning for the "new" diet - getting all amped up and ready to go at 12:01!
I am thankful for NoS and its simplicity. I think that's why it is so sustainable.
Happy New Year everyone - may all our dreams come true in 2012!
Mimi

mimi

Post by mimi » Sun Jan 01, 2012 11:11 pm

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Happy New Year!

We had two of the grandkids last night for a sleepover while daughter and hubby went out. We had a ball - played outside riding scooters, bikes, playing on the swings, then popcorn and a movie later in the evening. Hubby and I "fell" into bed at 11:00 p.m. exhausted and never saw the new year come in...talk about party poopers, huh!!

Moderate eating both yesterday and today...would have liked to have gone to Dairy Queen today for ice cream, but we didn't think they would be open. Had a nice quiet day at home with hubby instead...it doesn't get any better than that!

I want to get back on track this month with NoS habits and exercising after being home for the past two weeks...actually, I've been somewhat off track since Thanksgiving. I never went over-the-top wild with my eating, but wasn't practicing vanilla NoS either! Weaning off sweets after all the holiday fanfare could be problematic for me in the next few weeks. I've been indulging in them more than I should, and sweets are my downfall. I'm thinking that I may try one small serving of dessert with my evening meal for awhile until three meals and no snacks are firmly back in place. Then I'll let desserts go too. We'll see how this plan goes.
Mimi

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:11 pm

Monday, Jan. 2, 2012

GREEN day! Kept to my 3 meals, no snacks, and one dessert with evening meal. My daughter and I took a little shopping outing this afternoon to Costco and Walmart, and passed up all the samples at Costco I'll have you know! Felt good saying no thank you! Found something new while there...Healthy Choice frozen yogurt bars - strawberry and blueberry/pomegranate, 80 and 90 calories respectively. Had a blueberry one as dessert following my one plate meal this evening...yummy! I'm good now til morning!

It's back to school tomorrow - sad face! I plan to get up early and go back to my 15 minute walk on the treadmill. Haven't been doing it over the holidays. Tomorrow is a Zumba day too after school. Talking about exercising reminded me of something interesting we saw on the way home from shopping this afternoon...someone was using their exercise glider on their front porch with an iPod or iPhone in their hand. They were dressed in exercise clothes as it's rather cold here today - stayed in the 30's. It gave me an idea! I have an exercise glider that I haven't used since I broke my ankle and replaced it with an exercise bicycle. I'm going to get my glider out and put it outside on the porch under my deck (exposed basement so deck is off second floor) and use it! I can do it after school or even in the evenings - just turn on a porch light! It will get me out in the fresh air which I sorely miss. I used to be an avid outdoor walker until I was attacked by a dog 2 years ago. Now I am deathly afraid to walk outside by myself...my husband laughed when I told him what I was going to do, but I think it will be fun!
Mimi

gk

Post by gk » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:54 am

mimi wrote:Would have liked to have gone to Dairy Queen today for ice cream, but we didn't think they would be open.
A couple of weeks ago I was walking in a mall near our house, and noticed that they had opened a Dairy Queen. It stopped me in my tracks and I thought I was going to cry from sheer happiness - their peanut buster parfaits are pure bliss to me. I know what some of my future S day treats will be. :P

Good luck with getting back on track!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:22 am

gk, My husband and I have been married for 40 years, and he has taken me for ice cream of some sort almost every Sunday afternoon...I could probably count on one hand the number of times he's missed - with this past Sunday being one! Usually it's just a cone and very often at Dairy Queen, but sometimes McDonald's! Imagine how thrilled I was when Burger King started serving ice cream!! I guess I would rather eat ice cream than any other food that there is - and I'd never grow tired of it.
I hope you thoroughly enjoy your new found Dairy Queen. When you have your first peanut buster parfait, chuckle a little and think of your ice cream buddy in Virginia!
Thanks for the good wishes - I'm heading back in the right direction and folks like you make it easier.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:48 am

Thursday, Jan. 5, 2012

Things are going well, but I feel really drained this evening. I guess being off for two weeks spoiled me. It was a difficult day at school today too. I also have been getting up super early and walking 15 minutes on the treadmill. Did two hours of Zumba this week as well.
Eating plan has been going very well. I have been eating a small amount of dessert in the evening and sometimes after lunch as well.
I have also been working on negative thoughts. They have been creeping back in, so it's time to nip them and turn them around into positive statements.
No plans for the weekend other than having 3 of the grandkids sleep over Saturday night. They didn't get to spend the night over the holidays because they were all sick.
That's about all for an update this evening!
Mimi

gk

Post by gk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:14 pm

Sounds like you're right on track. Good for you, for nipping those negative thoughts in the bud! Sometimes I think that is half the battle. You are doing a wonderful job - keep it up! :D

Hey, what do you think of Zumba? Everyone I hear just loves it. Once I can get my feet and hip a little healthier, I plan to try it. Is it just basically latin-type dancing?

Have fun with your grandkids this weekend - that'll be a workout in itself! :lol: :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:35 pm

gk, I LOVE Zumba! I started it this summer, two hour-long classes a week. I don't belong to a gym or anything...as part of our county's wellness program, our central office offers lots of different health screenings, challenges, classes and other types of activities for the teachers in this county. The Zumba classes are held in the different schools and cost us $2 (some $3) a class. How can you beat that?
My daughter convinced me to go with her and one of her friends (I've let her talk me into kickboxing and crazier things!). I'm not a "dancer" and thought I would hate it, but found just the opposite. It's a mixture of latin dancing, hip-hop, and aerobics. It took me awhile to get accustomed to the moves, but once I did, I found the hour whizzed by and I would be sweating up a storm. It's a good workout and all to music.
Hopefully soon you'll be able to try it too!

gk

Post by gk » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:28 pm

Zumba sounds so fun! I will definately give that a try!

It's neat how you try new things - how fun!! :)

mimi

Post by mimi » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:38 am

Well...what a busy, BAD week I've had...bad eating, red days, NO exercise at all - not even my Zumba classes because I had meetings on both afternoons, and now find myself beating myself up for failing. So I came to the boards to get inspired. I read some of the wonderful testimonies that have been posted and began to feel better. Then I read Bright Angel's comment on Kathleen's check-in on perfection. I went to her blog and read the article written by Al Coon. Ouch.

Here is something I want to remember and reread again and again, so I copied it from the ariticle:

"it is imperative that we understand the difference between striving for improvement, defined as moving towards an ideal, and vainly striving for true perfection. Improvement is always possible, but perfection never is. Striving for improvement gives feelings of accomplishment and pride, while striving for perfection brings frustration and discouragement."

I need to learn to strive toward perfection, but quit expecting it from myself, as Bright Angel said. This has always been my problem...it's okay for others to mess up, but never for me. I have to do things perfectly, or not at all. Black or white - that's it. I am my own worst critic and enemy and I need to stop...now. I find that when I truly practice vanilla NoS, the color gray becomes part of my color scheme as my diet head fades away.

So once again, I'll pick myself up and continue on...toward establishing strong - but NOT perfect - habits. Each day I hope to work towards improvement.

I will strive towards improving:
1. my self-talk and thinking
2. my emotional eating (bingeing)
3. daily exercise
4. Marking progress on my kitchen calendar where it is in plain view!

Here's to an improved week coming up!

Note: Monday is MLK Day and we are off from school. My daughter, DIL, and I are planning to take the kids to play at Pump It Up (inflatables), McDonald's lunch, and then to the movies to see Beauty and the Beast in 3D. I have already planned to take an S day and get a Snack Pack at the theater, as I know I would feel VERY deprived if everyone was eating popcorn at the movie and I wasn't. That would probably have a backlash effect. So I will go in with a plan - and that will be my only deviation from vanilla NoS today...and I will count it as progress!

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:10 am

Monday, Jan. 16
Had a GREEN day! A GREEN fun day!
Ended up eating a late lunch so that I didn't want (or need!) the popcorn at the movie. Progress!

Loved the movie, BTW - my favorite fairy tale!

mimi

Post by mimi » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:58 am

Tues., Wed., Thurs., Jan. 17-19:

Green days! Busy days...end of quarter and semester...kids turning in late work...lots to grade and get done, but these days I'm simply shooting for progress, not perfection. I'll get there.

Had two hours of Zumba this week...I'm happy about that :D Our community wellness center is offering free yoga classes on Saurday...basic adult yoga and yoqua - in a warm water pool. My daughter and I may check it out.

Sometime in the last day or two I read or heard that people who commit to healthier habits (dieting, exercising, eating healthier, stop smoking, etc.) mid-January have more success than people who start January 1...because the panic is over. Thought that was interesting. I started marking my habitcal (actually the kitchen calendar on our fridge) on Monday. That has helped tremendously...there's something inspiring about seeing those big green X's over each day.

mimi

Post by mimi » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:47 pm

Time to check in! Weighed on Saturday and was down a little over two pounds since the holidays. I'm pleased...that's progress, and it was pretty painless.
I agree with wosnes who posted on another discussion thread - weight lost with NoS doesn't come back. The reason? NoS isn't a diet, it's a lifestyle - simply a sensible way of moderately eating and managing meals.
I don't intend to make weighing a weekly thing because it can do funny things to my head...after a while, I would like it to just be a powerless measurement tool to monitor progress for me.

gk

Post by gk » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:02 pm

mimi wrote:Weighed on Saturday and was down a little over two pounds since the holidays. I'm pleased...that's progress, and it was pretty painless.
Great job!!! :D