How can I modify shovelglove to make it work for me?

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Minkymoo

How can I modify shovelglove to make it work for me?

Post by Minkymoo » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:31 pm

Hi, I love the idea of shovelglove, the 14 mins daily would work great for me, I'm sure I could do that indefinitely and as a parent I can't get out to the gym / class on a regular basis.
However, I don't have much space to swing a hammer at home without smashing up my furniture (in the UK our houses are on a pretty small scale!) and as a short girl (5ft 3in) who is overweight and currently No S ing, I don't want to beef up my upper body too much or I won't look feminine.
Does anyone do different types of exercise that don't take up too much room but still fulfil the basic principles of the system?

fungus

Re: How can I modify shovelglove to make it work for me?

Post by fungus » Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:10 am

Minkymoo wrote:Hi, I love the idea of shovelglove, the 14 mins daily would work great for me, I'm sure I could do that indefinitely and as a parent I can't get out to the gym / class on a regular basis.
However, I don't have much space to swing a hammer at home without smashing up my furniture (in the UK our houses are on a pretty small scale!) and as a short girl (5ft 3in) who is overweight and currently No S ing, I don't want to beef up my upper body too much or I won't look feminine.
Does anyone do different types of exercise that don't take up too much room but still fulfil the basic principles of the system?
I don't think you need to worry about either of those. Shovelglove is one of the 'smallest' workouts I know and getting big and beefy is really really difficult, maybe impossible with only 14 minutes a day.

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:30 pm

I agree with fungus. Shovelglove is going to make you stronger, it'll burn calories and increase your metabolism, but it isn't going to bulk you up.

As far as space, the hammer is pretty close to you and you are not swinging wildly like a baseball bat. I do it on a 3'X5' rug and I bet the hammer doesn't leave that space by much. Test it out with a broom stick, you'll see.

Otherwise, do the 14 minute daily habit with a bodyweight routine, something like this http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/ ... ld-muscle/. I do bodyweight stuff when the toddler gets up too early since I don't want to swing a sledgehammer around her.
Last edited by slothlike on Tue May 01, 2012 6:38 am, edited 2 times in total.