Unbelievable Way of Eating for LIFE

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Sinnie

Unbelievable Way of Eating for LIFE

Post by Sinnie » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:46 pm

Hello everyone,

I don't post anymore; in fact, I barely check in. This is not because I don't think this is the most wonderful online support group I've been involved with. It's merely because life has taken over, I no longer struggle with my weight, and as such, I have no need, desire or even remember to visit weight loss forums (a former addiction of mine).

It occurred to me the other day that for the first time in my life, I am able to post a testimonial! I have never been successful, ever, before.

Where to even start with my story? I am a serial dieter with no results. Maybe a few pounds once in a while. Never significant. Nor did I have the worst weight problem, but I was a dieter and a huge binger. I truly had a life ruled by weight and food obsession. I was only borderline overweight because I'm short - approx 5'2 and at one point got up to 145 lbs. Still, I was unhappy.

Many, many times I tried No S with complete failure. I just didn't have the willpower, plain and simple. I couldn't cope with feeling hungry and just gave in all the time. Then I met my current boyfriend who has always eaten the No S way naturally. I decided to give it another try and he wanted to support me because he believes in this way so much. I got partially lucky, in my opinion, because I was able to latch onto his habits. Since we spend weekends together, there was now something to do and no more snacking took place. He always makes us eat a proper dinner at the table. Sometimes desserts. No snacks. It was easy suddenly because of him.

I now weigh 120 lbs. A very decent and desirable weight for my height. It seems to be still slowly going down. I have not weighed this since high school. I can't even begin to explain how this has changed my life. I am NORMAL and FREE of obsessions. I don't even think about "how am I going to lose weight for this or that" anymore. I just live normally! How cool is that!?!

This one thing that really astounds me is that I feel like I am eating more. The reason for this is I didn't used to allow myself three proper meals as I was always trying to "cut back" and take small portions, occassionally skip meals, snacked constantly so I wasn't hungry for dinner etc. But then I would binge. And binging never feels like a proper meal, it just feels like a screw up. Now I am always satisfied. I should mention it took a few weeks to cure of my "addiction" as my boyfriend called it. Not being able to get my snack when I felt like it was pure hell at first. Now I am used to it and the snack monster just went away.

I could really keep going on about the wondrous thing that is No S. I just love it so much. I used to hate shopping because it would depress me. Now I am floored when I fit into a size 4. I tell my boyfriend that it doesn't even feel like I had to do any work to get here. Just not eat snacks or desserts. Whamo. And I will be honest and tell you I constantly had indiscretions and still do. I am working on that. I always thought counting calories was the only way.

I have not been good with exercise. I'm starting to take up jogging but with winter coming it's not going to happen. I sometimes run up and down the stairs, or do pushups. I believe exercise can be done cheap right in your home! Skip, jumping jacks, stretching etc. I do enjoy walking.

That's it. Sorry for the length of this; I'm just so elated and thought I should finally share my story.

Best of luck to all of you.
Sinnie

vmsurbat

Congratulations!

Post by vmsurbat » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:28 am

Thank you for your testimonial! I've been NoSing (successfullly) for almost a year and half. I concur that this is a great way to eat FOR LIFE.
Sinnie wrote:
This one thing that really astounds me is that I feel like I am eating more. The reason for this is I didn't used to allow myself three proper meals as I was always trying to "cut back" and take small portions, occassionally skip meals, snacked constantly so I wasn't hungry for dinner etc. But then I would binge. And binging never feels like a proper meal, it just feels like a screw up. Now I am always satisfied. I should mention it took a few weeks to cure of my "addiction" as my boyfriend called it. Not being able to get my snack when I felt like it was pure hell at first. Now I am used to it and the snack monster just went away.
Like you, I am also amazed at how much real food I can *enjoy* when I got rid of my "diet meal" mentality. I never binged, but I discovered (since beginning NoS) that I am a terrible "virtual plater." I feel satisfied with three decent meals a day; my old habit of taking small servings and then replenishing with more small servings never really satisfied and was my biggest (to my amazement) contributor to weight gain. Too much healthy food is still too much!

Congrats again!
Vicki in MNE
7! Yrs. with Vanilla NoS, down 55+lb, happily maintaining and still loving it!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:58 pm

Sinnie,

Congratulations and thank you for posting this!
I am NORMAL and FREE of obsessions. ... How cool is that!?!
Extremely! :-)
I do enjoy walking.
That counts! More than any other kind of exercise, I think.
Sorry for the length of this
THANK YOU for (very substantive!) length of this!

Best,

Reinhard

Ms

Post by Ms » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:39 pm

Hi Sinnie,

I love this testimonial. Thanks so much for posting it. I am where you were, re hating to shop for clothes (I used to LOVE it!) and failing at NoS several times. But I will keep at it. Thanks again.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks for this... in really encourages us!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

Jaxhil

Post by Jaxhil » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Sinnie, THANK YOU so much for posting this! This has to be one of the best testimonials I have read here (because I can relate to it so well!)

You are an inspiration-I am jumping back on the wagon, and your story is so motivating. I am glad , like Reinhard, that you made it long!! :D

I can't wait to post my own testimonial 8)
Hilary
_______

"Habit, if not resisted, soon becomes necessity."-St Augustine

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."-Thomas Jefferson

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:05 pm

You're welcome and best of luck!!! Never thought I'd be considered an inspiration :D That's awesome!

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:09 pm

You are SUCH an inspiration! I, too, am a shorty and I have always been just a tad bigger than I would like (topping at 145 as well). My goal is to be exactly where you are now :o) Hopefully my success will be as big as yours! Congratulations!
Height: 5'4"
Highest weight: 210.4
Current Weight: 197.3
Goal Weight: 125-135

*^..^711

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:18 am

Thank you for commenting Sammy! Very happy to see I am an inspiration :D Keep going, you will get to your goal!!!

Sammybunny711

Post by Sammybunny711 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:39 pm

Sinnie wrote:Thank you for commenting Sammy! Very happy to see I am an inspiration :D Keep going, you will get to your goal!!!
Thanks for your encouragement!
Height: 5'4"
Highest weight: 210.4
Current Weight: 197.3
Goal Weight: 125-135

*^..^711

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:26 pm

MANY CONGRATULATIONS, SINNIE! THANKS FOR KEEPING US UPDATED ON YOUR FANTASTIC PROGRESS!!!
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:20 am

thanks so much for posting. I was so encouraged because I struggle and failed so many times on this diet, but I know I will get it right. Your a true success story.

herbsgirl

Post by herbsgirl » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:52 pm

Good testemonial! The part about you trying many many times to do NO S is like It says in the No S book, some people get it right the first time. Others it takes up to 12 trys to try to overcome their wieght problems. '

I think I am nearing 12 times of trying in general to lose weight soon! I have probably tried 8 or more times already, so it may be close to 12 if not already there. I know MANTIENCE NOT PROGRESS is a big key. If we focus on that, that is what will make it work long term> focus on the habit and dont worry bout the rest!

Even if we have to go a couple of months and not lose anything (remind me this later) the key is still keeping on keeping on with the habit. Those green colord days on my refrigerator is what really counts, not always what the scale says. Because if my calendar is solid green with S days, I WILL lose weight eventually, theres no doubt about that, it comes naturally with the habit.

If I would have been doing this for the last 5 years I have tried to lose weight and keep it off, I would be at my goal weight today! So if it takes me 5 years to get there, than so be it. (remind me this later)
SW 218.2 10-14-13
1 mo 193.4
2 mo 178.8
3 mo 162.8
4 mo 151.4
5 mo 146.2
72 lbs lost in 19 wks 5' 6.5" 31 years old BMI 23.1
counting bites go to: countyourbites . blogspot . com

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:47 pm

Yes, KEEP AT IT. Listen to me, I am telling you if you keep up no matter how hard you fail, you will get where you need to be.

I am still failing all the time (embarassing, but true). In fact, I rarely, if ever, have green days regularly. But I am always trying, and rarely binge badly if I do screw up. That is the key. But keep trying, and don't start overeating when you do mess up.

I am steadily still going down. I am hovering between 115-117 easily. It's amazing how this system works without much pain at all.

All the best everyone! Hooray for No S!

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:28 pm

Sinnie,

Great to hear no-s is still working so well for you. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Reinhard

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:10 pm

Thankyou for posting, enjoyed reading your testimony as a newbie, hope to be able to post one of my own in a few months time.
Patty 8)
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:41 pm

You are lucky you found the support that helped seal the deal with No S, but whatever it takes! Glad to hear it's working even without perfection.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

gk

Post by gk » Thu Jan 05, 2012 12:10 pm

Loved reading this testamonial. Could really relate! Gives me hope that after trying multiple times there is hope that I can someday finally get this down and say good-bye to food obsession and bingeing for good! Thanks so much for posting your success story! Congrats! :)
SW (as of 3/25/13): 172 lbs.
CW: 171 lbs.

Sinnie

Post by Sinnie » Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:19 pm

Thank you!!!
Last edited by Sinnie on Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.