stance

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Kid Charlemagne

stance

Post by Kid Charlemagne » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:46 pm

Hi all. I'm a newly addicted shovel glovin' lovin' rookie... on day 5. As a kettlebell user, I have to admit, I like the glove a bit better.... I still use my kb, but the sg workout is a more efficient, better way to start my day.

I've read many of the posts-- great info, and I really like hearing the "progress posts." I'm hoping to drop another 20lbs on the No S diet and regular hammer use.

My two cents: Having a kung-fu/MMA/grappling background, I perform all of my sg excercises in the wing-chun first form horse stance. Feet shoulder width, toes pointed slightly inward. Bend slightly at the knees, tighten the abs and butt, let that chi flow. Grip the floor with the toes (I do sg barefoot).

I've felt no back twinges or abnormal pains in this deliberate stance... by default, it works your abs while performing the motion... here's a link to the best picture I could find... (this guy's not me, he's much better looking).

http://www.sunnytangottawa.com/vingtsun-slt.htm

Anyway, I look forward to riding along with you folks....

peace.
"Obviously, you're not a golfer." -El Duderino

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:50 pm

Have fun Kid!
Use that dantien!

Shovelglove is so much more interesting than dumbells and probably, though I haven't used them myself, KB's too...
The leverage and the control factor from having that nice handle really makes it rock!!!
Enjoy!
You might gain weight with SG, but you will lose fat!
What weight hammer do you use?
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Kid Charlemagne

Post by Kid Charlemagne » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:00 pm

Thanks Deb. I'm an impatient guy, and would love to jump to the 14 or 20 pounder, but I'm sticking with my 12 for at least 6 months to a year.... I want to make sure I'm doing everything right.

I appreciate the point about the weight gain, I guess what I really mean is I'm excited to "re-shape" in the right way. If that means minimal weight loss, I at least want to fit back into some 32 jeans!

take care,

kid

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:06 pm

Well, depending on how heavy your kettlebells were, you might be able to use a sixteen pounder without too much trouble..
I met a guy who was into Shovelglove last year, and he used a twenty lb hammer, but he was also doing KB with 50 pounders...

Have fun!

david

Post by david » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:10 pm

I just upgraded from a 10 lb. to a 12lb. hammer. I'll have plenty to work on at that weight for a good long while.

thanks,
David

Kid Charlemagne

Post by Kid Charlemagne » Tue Feb 14, 2006 7:17 pm

My kb is 20kg. So I'll see how I feel in a few months-- then make the decision to jump to a 14 or a 16.... either way, a set of "gloves" is much much cheaper than a set of kettlebells!

kid

JWL

Post by JWL » Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:29 pm

hey kid, I have a 10lb and 16lb sledge, my wife has an 8lb, and I even have a 4lb framing hammer for my daughter. ;-)

I use the 10 and 16 pounders interchangeably during a workout.
JWL[.|@]Freakwitch[.]net

david

Post by david » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:28 pm

Speaking of stance...

Did any of you see the opening ceremonies of the Winter Olympics? At the very beginning Italian gymnast Yuri Chechi was striking an anvil with a big fake hammer--it was pretty cool! I think that they could have given him a real hammer--the guy certainly has enough muscle.

On a bad stance note, NBC is playing a pain medicine commercial about every five minutes during their olympics coverage. In it, a woman is splitting wood with an axe. Her stance just looks wrong to me, i.e. completely unnatural. It makes me cringe. For you new shuggers, please, please don't imitate her! Either use the stance that kid suggests above or just stand same hand, same foot forward to do chopping motions.

thanks,
David

Kid Charlemagne

Post by Kid Charlemagne » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:58 am

Great posts... Freak, how old's your daughter? My son is about to turn 3.. when is it too early to start?! I probably will pick up a 16 pounder and just try some excercises with it... do two pound increments make a huge difference? In other words, is going from 12 to 16 not a good idea?

David, nice observations about the ceremony and the commercials... I'm sure we'll all be paying more attention to examples of "functional strength" now that we're practicing it.

best,

kid