The Glove

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Crafty

The Glove

Post by Crafty » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:59 am

Dunno if anyone else has been in a similar situation but sweatshirts seem to not wrap tight enough. Shirts are too thin and Pants are not flexible enough.

Anybody else just have an old shoe on the end of their hammer?

like this?

Makes storing it quite simple. Just wanted to know / pass along the idea. 8# hammer fits snug in my fiance's old size 6 (US) women's shoe. don't know about other sizes. re-tie the knots maybe once in every 2 months so far.
Sometimes anti-social, always anti-fascist.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:02 am

I love this idea. Thanks!

koopa

Post by koopa » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:06 pm

Would that really help with impact though?

Personally, I leave my sledge naked like the day it was bought. I support sledgehammer nudism apparently!

Crafty

Post by Crafty » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:13 pm

Actually yes is does help with the impact. Just lead with the 'toe' end of the Hammer, and you have ~2" of cloth and rubber sole. Though you will still connect solidly so it's bad for say, cats (which SG it was designed to protect), you lose plenty of momentum real quick so it's good for Lamp Trees or rented Walls.

I also should mention that i use a busted old lap tree (6') as my sparring partner. When i say "axe strikes" in my routine, it's a Tree Chopper aimed at the lamp tree. Shoulder height is an overhead swing at the top of the post (really high post driver), hip is a lateral swing at the lowest lamp, and ankle is another over head shot at the wide base of it. I try and land every swing within 6" of each other, and to have none actually hit the post. Decapitators are also aimed at the highest bulb housing.
Sometimes anti-social, always anti-fascist.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:19 pm

I love it. A mighty ass-kicker.

I've got to put together a shovelglove gallery of stuff like this...

Better yet something people can upload to themselves that maybe I can curate. I'm sure there are a million sites that let you do something like like that already. I'll look into it -- but feel free to make suggestions.

Reinhard