TerrieLynn Daily Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

TerrieLynn

TerrieLynn Daily Check In

Post by TerrieLynn » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:20 pm

This is day one for me. I'm hoping this daily check in will help me stay focused on changing my habits!

Breakfast: Oatmeal (instant, two packets on one bowl)
Lunch: Black beans with gumbo veggies, onions & garlic
Dinner: not sure yet

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Feb 04, 2006 11:41 pm

Good luck Terri Lynn!

I love Gumbo!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

sporkfancier

Post by sporkfancier » Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:30 am

Good luck! I'm on day 6, and I'm feeling very good about my choice to go No-S!
Shovel glove? Isn't that the size of prophylactic I use?

TerrieLynn

Daily Check In, Sunday

Post by TerrieLynn » Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:48 pm

Thanks for the supportive replies yesterday!

Kinda successful today, although I did stack flatbread on my plate - and after I was done checked to see how many calories - yikes, you really can stack a bunch onto one plate!

So, for the record:
Saturday:
Tomato Bisque Soup, small salad, 2 breadsticks for dinner
Slice of key lime pie for my treat
Sunday:
Breakfast at 11 (after walk): McEggThing minus the canadian bacon; hash brown, coffee
Lunch: Avocado, hummus, cracked peppercorn flatbread, apple
Dinner (the plan, anyway - won't be eating till later): baked sweet potato, asparagus, cheese spread on bread

I walked the dog for around 45 minutes today. It was really, really cold out, but once we got going it was great. We walked down by the Stillwater. It is a snowy day here - beautiful!

I don't have a sledge hammer handy since I am at work, but I did walk up to the 4th floor and back. I like Reinhardt's idea that exercise will ideally result in some useful ability in real life. It seems to me it would be useful in real life to be able to go up a few flights of stairs without snorting like a Budweiser Clydesdale once I get to the top. Not there yet - journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step, I reckon (she panted, snorting like a Budweiseer Clydesdale).

TerrieLynn

Now is the time I usually go get a sweet

Post by TerrieLynn » Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:31 pm

but it is Monday, so I won't...sigh
beach in April
beach in April
beach in April

TerrieLynn

Busy Monday and Tuesday

Post by TerrieLynn » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:16 pm

Yikes, this gets a little harder when I am really busy.

Monday: success! had pizza and salad for dinner, out with a friend, two Blue Moon beers. Walked dog 2 miles or so

Tuesday: so far so good! breakfast in the car on the way to work - cheese and akmak crackers; lunch salad, vegetable soup, banana - in the cafeteria with my pals Suzanne and Marilyn, dinner will be the other half of monday night pizza. I am really hungry now, but I'll wait a bit...going to have a cup of tea.

I'm fat, but I'm thin inside. Has it ever struck you that there's a thin man inside every fat man, just as they say there's a statue inside every block of stone? -- George Orwell

TerrieLynn

Wed & Thursday checkin

Post by TerrieLynn » Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:22 am

Semi-success for both days...still eating too many starchy things, I think. I was hungry last night and had strawberries as a snack while watching TV. Not an awful snack, but still. I think part of it was I was hungry and part because snacking in front of the TV is a habit.

Kinda discouraged...stepped on the scale, gained two pounds since the last time I stepped on the scale, two weeks ago.

My pal SuzyAzuzy has lost 20 though, so that gives me some hope!! This is just the first week, after all.

Till tomorrow!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 3:09 am

Things will improve Terrie!!!
Don't get discouraged!!!!
It's Wintertime.. That's a tough one to get through without some messups and comfort food...
You will get better with time and the weight will drop!
Promise!!!
Plus, two pounds can revert in a single day and could easily be caused by water retention.. Are you expecting any "friends"? LOL
Don't make too much of it..
Just watch your plates at mealtime that they aren't too huge, and cut the sugary stuff and before you know it, the numbers will start reflecting your work... But just focus on the habits now, and be patient with the pounds..

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ps... Go Suzy Azuzy!!!!!! You rock!

SuzyAzuzy

Post by SuzyAzuzy » Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:49 pm

Thanks Deb -- you embody the word encouragement!! For even a "lurker" like me... who has drawn much from your observations and discussions!!

Some cosmic force must have compelled me to click on Reinhard's "google ad," because what went through the cognitive portion of my brain is "why would someone advertise a "free" diet..?!?! Hmmmmm...." But from the moment that I began reading his notions on dieting -- I knew just what to do!! (Not only was it simple enough for Me to remember, I would have had to follow this just because of his witty dissertation.) So, I've been a No S devotee for 21 + 8 successful days!! It's PERFECT!

And just for the record, I've lost 7 or 8 pounds since beginning No S in January. The rest of the 20 lbs. started in October due to stress ( how unlike me... usually that leads to just the opposite!!) Since I had a 'head start' through no discipline of my own, I thought I'd better figure out something I could do to take advantage of the situation. (I've needed to be on 'a diet' since 1998 -- but couldn't do it because I know my limitations -- while I can do math, I prefer not to outside of work. :-))

Thanks to you both, Deb and TerrieLynn, for making me feel good... you rock, too!!!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:23 pm

Thanks Suzy! :D
That's really nice of you to say!

Amazing news about your success this Winter!!!
Usually stress does cause the opposite (see my thread for a recent example... :twisted: )
Good for you on turning stress into a good thing!

Yeah, Reinhard is such a rare find... We are all soooo lucky!

I always look forward to what he has to say, as it's always funny and always helpful!!!

Enjoy being with the group, and don't lurk in the shadows too often :wink:

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

TerrieLynn

Okay, I've lost my grip, need to get it back

Post by TerrieLynn » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:03 pm

Haven't checked in for a while (since last Thursday, I think. Anyway, here is the damage:

Friday: Failure
Saturday: Success!
Sunday: Success!
Monday: Success!
Tuesday: Success!
Wednesday: Success! I weighed in, I did not lose, but I did not gain, so that is something!

Thursday: So far, not good - running late, no time for breakfast, ate two cookies from a batch a co-worker brought in to share with the group, same rush for lunch - hot cocoa in a meeting to keep my stomach from talking louder than me and then cheese and crackers, potato chips and (ulp) a candy bar. Going to get back on track for dinner.

So, I think I have 9 good days toward my 21...or, does it have to be 21 straight days???