Jen's check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

jbcombs

Jen's check-in

Post by jbcombs » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:30 pm

Well, yesterday was day 1 for me and it was a SUCCESS.

Today is harder...
Jen

jbcombs

results 1/3

Post by jbcombs » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:18 pm

I blew it Tuesday! picking myself up and dusting myself off to try again...

Once I slipped up yesterday (with one of my hubby's poptarts), I seemed to take it as license to binge on more sugar. I wasn't feeling well (I have fibromyalgia) so didn't feed myself well and was hungry in between meals. Today I am roasting a turkey breast and putting the extra in the freezer for my next down day.

toodles...
Jen
Jen

3aday

Post by 3aday » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:29 pm

Hi Jen!
I blew it yesterday too!
I wasn't feeling well myself.
Hope today is a better day for both you and me!
Becky

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:53 pm

Hi Jen, I know several people who have fibromyalgia.. Both friends and clients as well...
It can be so debilitating... No wonder you are going for the quick fix sweet stuff on those days..
Just a quick picker upper, I guess..

But beware.. Fibromyalgia or not, high sugar treats are so quickly absorbed and so non-lasting, that they just set you up for a worse crash later..

Befriend fruits and vegetables instead! And I suggest that you find a gentle and experienced massage therapist and see if a regular massage appointment would help you with your issues..
Chronic pain leads to depression, and vice versa, and then it becomes a yuckky cycle...

A good massage can go a long long way in reducing stress and pain..
Finally, in this millenium, there is solid clinical evidence to support this..

Good luck on NOS!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

ps.. I'm a massage therapist incase you weren't aware yet.. LOL..

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Thu Jan 05, 2006 12:35 am

Becky, thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one! Hope you are feeling better. I saw that some folks count a sick day as an S day, but I'd have waayyy too many of those.

Deb, I appreciate the advice re: sweets, etc. and fibromyalgia. I do notice an increase in my pain level and a drop in my energy when I eat sweets. You'd think that'd be a deterrent....LOL! And a massage sounds divine. I should look into finding a therapist with other fibro clients. I'm always so sensitive that I have avoided it.

Today I still felt crappy but so far so good on the diet. Just have to make it a couple more hours til bedtime!
Jen

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:00 am

If you can express your experience of pressure to the therapist, on a scale of 1-10, so they know just how much is too much/too little, any seasoned *licensed* therapist, can help you... And someone who is going to work on doing client centered work, not just someone who wants to "prove" themselves.. They need to be aware of your concerns and needs and open to your feedback, before, and during the session...
Just explain that you tend to be sensitive and you can both navigate the areas to avoid working deeply on..

You may find that massage will help you "reset" your sensitivity, by directly lessening your pain... Some fibromyalgia clients I have known were surprised at how well they did with moderate pressure massage..
Just tell them don't go too hard.

Go for it!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:30 pm

Another SUCCESS for yesterday (1/4).

I was so hungry after I went to bed that I couldn't sleep, so I "vitual plated" a snack that would have fit on my dinner plate. I'll eat more tonight at dinner.

Deb, I will look for a massage therapist--you've convinced me!
Jen

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:12 pm

Yesterday was a SUCCESS. (1/5)

Looking forward to an S day tomorrow... :))
Jen

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Sun Jan 08, 2006 3:39 am

Yesterday (friday 1/6) was a success. And I've enjoyed my S day today (Sat.) without overdoing it. Well, maybe a little. :)
Jen

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Mon Jan 09, 2006 2:13 pm

I had a good S weekend, although I overdid it a little. Actually, I'm ready for a NoS day--the sweets weren't all that fun when it came down to it. Amazing! And my tummy still feels trimmer (I was down 4 pounds when I weighed on Friday). :)
Jen

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:35 pm

A little behind in my posts...

on Monday, 1/9, I ended up making it an "S" day because I had chest crud and a fever. So in addition to my meals, I ate some caramel corn.

on Tuesday, 1/10, I ate my normal three meals only, so it was a SUCCESS.
Jen

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:12 pm

waaayyy behind, so I'm just going to recap the last three days...

Monday 1/16--SUCCESS

Tuesday 1/17--failure

Wednesday 1/18--failure

i'm not going to focus too much on the last two days, except to note that I'm having an i don't care attitude about my eating. I suspect that's partly due to : 1. the noS novelty is over, now it's really work, 2. i have a new medication that makes me groggy and I suspect it's contributing to my apathy, 3. I have PMS and I'm really hungry a lot. Also, I haven't cooked the last two nights, so healthy stuff isn't readily available for lunch (I usually eat leftovers). So I need to focus on dinner and lunch. Breakfast is easy--usually oatmeal and nuts with tea.

So tomorrow is a new day.
Jen

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:31 pm

went away for a long weekend, returned just now, so I've been "S"ing. I overdid it some.
Jen

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:28 pm

Last week, I was successful only one day--Thursday. I am learning a lot about why and when I cheat. The weekend was not so much overeating as before--Sat. I had two servings of sweets. Sunday I ate a bag of caramel corn and it was sooo gross. I think I'll try two desserts total next weekend and see how I feel.

Monday, yesterday (1/30) was good, although I had a few bites of hubby's dessert. So technically, it was a failure.
Jen

Traveler

Post by Traveler » Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:30 pm

Take it one day at a time, you can do it! Best regards, Bob
Health Is The Greatest Wealth

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:49 pm

Thanks Bob! I appreciate the encouragement. :D

Yesterday, Tuesday 1/31, was a SUCCESS! yay!!!!
Jen

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 01, 2006 4:59 pm

Yay J!!!
Have a great day!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:04 pm

Wednesday was a SUCCESS. Yay!

Thanks for the kudos, Deb... :D
Jen

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:48 pm

Jen, you are doing well, I hope you realize that! :D Not only do you have many success days, but you are learning "why and when" you cheat. The learning is just as important as the succeeding. Keep going!

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:50 pm

this new way of eating takes some getting used to, and even the most seasoned No-Ser has a struggle once in a while. I myself have had a million start-overs and am just now back on plan this week...but during those "false starts" i have learned and ironed out the little problems that were hindering my success...i now feel that i can do no-s the way it should be done..will i have a day when i mess up? of course! but half the battle is not giving up and keeping on with the plan!

so use your "failures" as learning experiences and you will succeed at this! A few bites of your hubby's dessert is an accomplishment if you veiw it in the right way...you could have eaten a whole dessert just for you, but you stopped at a few bites! for me, that would be major victory! we are all different with our own unique struggles, but trust me, no-s is definately worth it in the long run!

keep up the good work! :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:14 pm

I really, really, really appreciate the encouragement of the folks on this board!

I had a good S weekend--didn't overdo too much. My gauge is the headache I get when I have too much sugar. I can handle a little ice cream or a low sugar dessert each day without any headache. Much less headache this weekend. I consider that progress!

Monday was a success, although I probably ate too much carbs for me. It did all fit on one plate. I made today an S day because I had a little minor surgery. Hubby stopped by Starbucks on the way home and I had a piece of poundcake with my coffee. I might have a scoop of ice cream tonight if the mood hits.
Jen

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:40 am

Surgery???
*Definitely* an S day!!!

Hope you heal quickly..
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:37 pm

Deb, the surgery was a biospy from an area on my left breast. Results were negative! Yay! Thanks for the nice thoughts. I am healing very well. :)
Jen

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:40 pm

Tuesday was ok, but technically a failure, because I had half a cookie my dd didn't finish. Oh well!

Wednesday and Thursday were SUCCESSES. Today I walked 4 minutes (really good for a fibrochick).

I'm going to get more specific on the check-ins, re: what I eat and exercise. My pants feel tight again. Of course, I've had to take it easy this week, so no exercise til today.
Jen

jbcombs

Post by jbcombs » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:30 am

Friday was a SUCCESS. The weekend was definitely overindulgent, however, with lots of dizziness when I ate sugary stuff.

Sooo...today wasn't so great. Actually, I acted like it was an S day. I just finished two poptarts and I have a headache. Oh well...

I have gained several pounds over the last 2 weeks. Part of it is my TOM but also, in my "prediabetic" state (per my doc's diagnosis), I've concluded that I can't handle starches on a regular basis. I have been eating one or two servings of grains at each meal. Starting tomorrow I'm going back to basically protein and veggies during the week and maybe add some oatmeal for breakfast on the weekends. We'll see how that works.

A plus for today--I walked 4.5 minutes and SG'd with a broom for the same amount of time. So I feel good about that. :)
Jen

jbcombs

2/14, Tuesday

Post by jbcombs » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:02 pm

Although I counted yesterday as an S-day, I ate low carb and sensibly for my three meals. Then we had valentine cookies and ice cream after dinner. Got a headache, and I'm not sure it was worth it.
Jen

jbcombs

p.s.

Post by jbcombs » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:03 pm

Oh, and I walked 5 min. and SG'd for the same amount of time.
Jen

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:52 pm

Dear Jen!
Sorry you have been going through some discomfort and stuff with headaches etc...
I wouldn't say that you should consider that *all* carbs and starches are your enemy...
Seems like you are only eating the junkiest kinds out there...
Pop tarts, though yummy, are stripped down, white refined, how shall I put this?,,,,,
Well, they are basically garbage..
LOL...
Maybe being on NoS has lowered your tolerance for refined sugar... I know it has for me, and if I eat something super sweet, I feel weird and tired after...
Anyway... Don't kick good old potatoes, rice and breads out of your life...
Just try to have good quality stuff.
It's funny.. My son used to be a big sugar/candy/a-holic... Now, whenever he eats too much, and too much is half of what he ate in the past, he complains to me that he feels bad... I say, that bad feeling, is actually a good thing.. It's our body warning us to eat healthier whenever possible..
Good job on walking and SG'ing...
Have a great day!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

jbcombs

thanks deb and checkin for Wed. 2/15

Post by jbcombs » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:16 pm

Deb, I REALLY appreciate your advice. I think I fall back on the Atkins mentality sometimes. I think I will take your words to heart and focus on eating better foods.

Yesterday was a SUCCESS (Wed. 2/15).

Jen
Jen