Question about Plate Size?

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jan

Question about Plate Size?

Post by Jan » Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:10 pm

Was just reading about your diet. What size plates do you use? I have been using smaller dishes like the Japenese use. Will they work for this diet? I was doing another diet and not having much luck as I felt like I was eating all the time, back when I was growing up and was poor and skinny I only ate 3 times a day and only what was put on my plate because we had 6 kids, like 1 cut up chicken for a family of 8, but sometimes Mom made fudge so something sweet on week-ends, so this diet sounds like how I grew up, and I was skinny then and never thought about food. I also got lots of exercise from playing outside and walking. I think I might give this diet a try as I am sick of worrying if it's been 3 hours and I always mess that one up, but I do like eating the healthy foods and eating lots of fruits and veggies and I don't eat meat. I'll give it a try this week and see how it works. Can I eat a dark chocolate bar {my favorite treat} on S days?

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:19 am

Welcome, Jan!

It doesn't surprise me at all that no-s sounds like how you ate growing up. It's basically just codifying the way people used to eat back when social structures and scarcity meant you didn't have much alternative.

You can certainly have chocolate (or anything you like) on S days. This isn't a mere concession, it's a necessary inventive and reward: it's what makes this system work.

Your small plates might not be big enough, since you'll want to make sure that you can eat enough to satisfy you till the next meal on one plate. My "big" dinner plates are 11 inches in diameter. My smaller breakfast and lunch plates are 9 and a half inches (though I usually have oatmeal, in a bowl, for lunch).

Having a taste for fruits and veggies is very helpful on nos. Not only are they nutritious and not especially caloric, but they take up a lot of space on your plate.

Reinhard

Jan

Plate Size

Post by Jan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:28 am

Reinhard, Thank-you. I am going to start tomorrow. I am sick of counting calories, points, and watching the clock. I just turned veggie about 2 years ago and did lose weight by eating healthy. I tried vegan but had a few slips up with milk but my diet is mostly vegan. I never had a weight problem until I started having children and I just kept a little weight after each one and now I have about 20 pounds I keep trying to lose. This one makes so much sense. I'll be back if I have questions and let you know if the weight comes off. I do tredmill about 45 minutes 5 days a week and sometimes I do weights.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:07 pm

Hi Jan,

My plates are the same size as Reinhard's and that seems to work well for me.

I am vegan, too. I came to No-S from 5 years on the McDougall Program (fat-free vegan), then got away from that, and have now returned to low-fat, rather than fat-free, vegan. McDougalling was perma-snacking and gluttony-sized meals, so I am happy now combining it with No-S for some sensible structure to my meals.

If you want to No-S as a vegan, use the larger plates. Eat all your fruits and veggies and salads, but be sure to include whole grains, beans, or soy meat substitutes with each meal. Plant foods are high in fiber and they fill you up fast, but they won't last until the next meal unless you have sufficient protein and a little fat included in with them. Whole grain breads, pasta, beans, and tofu all contain good protein. Don't skimp on the potatoes, either, just watch how much you glop on top of them!

Need vegan recipes for mayo or sour cream?

If you have trouble in the beginning of your vegan No-S adventure with getting from one meal to the next, try increasing the carbohydrate/protein foods and decreasing a little the fruit/veggie foods. Also, if you really need to put something in your stomach to get you to the next meal, try a small glass of orange juice or a glass of V8 juice. This has really helped me on occasion.

As I said in reply to your intro post, I'm glad you're here and I hope we hear from you often!

Jan