Take your testimonial to a scientist!

(New!) Read (or post) about people who have stuck with No-S for 10 or more months, lost 10 or more pounds, or 10 or more percent for their starting weight. Periodic updates strongly encouraged -- you can think of it as "Yearly Check In."

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

reinhard
Site Admin

Take your testimonial to a scientist!

Post by reinhard » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:37 pm

"Testimonial?" "Scientific?"

Those two words don't seem to go together on the surface.

But Kathleen recently alerted me to the existence of National Weight Control Registry, which investigates "long-term successful weight loss maintenance."

http://www.nwcr.ws/

The criteria are more stringent that what I suggested for this "testimonials" forum, but only a little: maintaining a 30 pound weight loss for at least a year. (note that this doesn't automatically get you in)

If you fall into this category, as plenty who have posted here do, I'd strongly encourage you to check it out. It would be great to get some scientific validation of No-s, for one thing. And who knows, with enough evidence, maybe they'll even figure out something better eventually. It is refreshing to see some serious attention directed at what we here know is the most important part of the weight control problem: long-term maintenance.

I qualify myself, so I think I'll go ahead and lead the charge.

See y'all in a database in Rhode Island,

Reinhard
Last edited by reinhard on Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blithe Morning

Post by Blithe Morning » Wed May 04, 2011 1:09 pm

I'm curious. Did anyone sign up and get accepted? What's the process like? What sorts of info do you have to provide. Unless you have some sort of non-disclosure agreement, I'd love to hear the back story.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Fri May 06, 2011 7:25 pm

I signed up on the web and they sent me a big package of paper forms, which alas, are still sitting in my inbox, and are probably destined for recycling. They didn't ask for anything outrageous, but I find it hard to churn through paper forms without a gun to my head.

Reinhard

dockanz

Post by dockanz » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:57 pm

I just received my packet for the fourth year in the program.
Make the Better Choice

ziggy

Post by ziggy » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:02 pm

Blithe Morning wrote:I'm curious. Did anyone sign up and get accepted? What's the process like? What sorts of info do you have to provide. Unless you have some sort of non-disclosure agreement, I'd love to hear the back story.
I also applied and got that same huge package. Since I lost the weight years ago and didn't get confirmation from my doctor I had no way to prove that I once weighed 201 and stayed below 170 for years. Now at around 180 I am more interested in getting that weight off than I am becoming part of the registry.