kellenheller's daily checkin

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

kellenheller

kellenheller's daily checkin

Post by kellenheller » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:24 am

I hope nobody minds if I create a daily checkin here. I'm doing NoS in my head, even if I'm doing it a little differently for now.

I am eating 3 squares most days (down from 4), but I'm counting calories and not really doing much "sometimes" on S days. I am planning on gradually incorporating S days as I get closer to my goal, but for now, I just want to get there! I've lost about 30 lbs so far and have about 30 to go.

Anyway, I thought it would be helpful for me to have a place to put success or failure and/or just write down any troubles sticking to it.

So:

Tuesday, Feb 21st - Moderate Sucess

B: Scrambled eggs, pear
L: Chicken avocado sammich at Village Inn w/fruit
D: Leftover rump roast sammich, carrots/celery, strawberries
minor indescretion: found two leftover halloween mini candies in my desk drawer and ate them. Started drinking tea right afterwards to stop potential free for all.

SG: Success

haven't missed a weekday since I started. Yesterday started moving my hands back from the hammer a few inches for the first time. I can really feel it in my neck tonight.

UR: Success

walked to bank to deposit a check instead of driving there.
10,000 steps, 4,635 aerobic

Quitting Smoking: Success, Day 2

(I smoked for 11 years, quit for 9 years, and then stupidly picked it up again a year and a half ago. It's been much harder to quit this time, and this is about attempt number 10).

Had to do some fast talking to get rid of that devil in my head that kept telling me now was a bad time to quit. I kept imagining a big OVERRIDE button in my brain that I could push when the nicotine messages were calling me. I may have to feel the feelings, but I don't have to act on them.

Misc:

Starting new job tomorrow. NERVOUS!

:)
ping

misguided_angel

HI!!

Post by misguided_angel » Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:41 am

I am new here but I just wanted to say HI! Boy you have alot going on great job tackling it all at once :) Good luck at your new job tomorrow :)
~Angel~

kellenheller

Post by kellenheller » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:53 pm

Thanks, miguided_angel :)

Wed, Feb 22 - Failure

Diet - Failure

B: Whole wheat tortilla w/1 tbsp peanut butter; 1 c cottage cheese and grape tomatoes
L: Salmon, spaghetti squash
Mini-meal: banana, breakfast bar
D: 4 beers, no food

Yes, dinner had the effect you might think. Ugh. I went out and forgot I don't eat like a truck driver anymore, so I shouldn't drink like one.

SG - Success

UR - Failure - only hit about 6,500 steps.
ping

kellenheller

Post by kellenheller » Fri Feb 24, 2006 5:23 am

Thursday, Feb 23 - Success

B: Cheerieos, Milk, Banana
L: Healthy Choice mac & cheese/chicken strips, Pear
D: Grilled cheese sammich, tomato soup, lf cookies & milk

SG: Success - I couldn't do it this morning due to my indescretion with the beer monster last night (ugh, what a rough day), but I came home and did it tonight while watching Dancing with the Stars. It was hard - my muscles did NOT want to move.

UR: Success - 10,000 steps (6,000 aerobic). About half was walking in place while watching the Dancing with Stars. Not a killer workout, but moving and using more energy than just couch potatoing.
ping