Relationship walking

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
NoelFigart

Relationship walking

Post by NoelFigart » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:29 pm

In general, I'm pretty solitary. Swimming, weight training and other non-social forms of exercise are favorites of mine.

But lately, my husband and I have been taking a walk after dinner. The weather has been nice, we live in a little New England town where there are plenty of sidewalks and stuff, so we live in a really good place to walk.

This isn't like some big deal. We take a half an hour and walk a couple of miles wandering around -- not "walking for exercise", but just... hanging out and enjoying a summer evening, talking about anything and everything, fantasizing about buying this mansion for sale on the green. Just everyday stuff.

I'm liking it because it gives us a chance to chat and reconnect at the end of the day. I know Reinhard talks about walking to think, or when he isn't sure what to do or whatever, but I think one to add to the list is walking to hang out with people you're close to.
------
My blog https://noelfigart.com/wordpress/ I talk about being a freelance writer, working out and cooking mostly. The language is not always drawing room fashion. Just sayin'.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Aug 19, 2012 4:35 pm

Years ago, I heard a talk by a therapist who had studied spouse murderers. (Yikes!) This led to research on fighting in marriage. Many fighters didn't have other good shared activities. After teaching fighting couples some better interaction, he also recommended they take a 20-30 minute walk together each day, if possible, just sharing the day or whatever (except contentious topics). It was a very effective habit.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)