Kirby's Check In

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Kirby

Kirby's Check In

Post by Kirby » Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:15 pm

I am so happy that I have found this site. I feel that my prayers have finally been answered...I have found a way of eating that I could possibly be successful at!

I blame my extra weight on my pregnancies. I was always nauseous, and eating made me feel better. But my kids are now in college, and the extra pounds have added up (I'm now 60 pounds overweight).

At my last doctor's appointment, I found out that my sugar was high as well as my blood pressure and cholesterol. I did manage to take off a few pounds and didn't need to be on any meds, but now I find my weight out of control again. I can't control myself even though my life depends on it!

I have failed on every diet I have tried. I believe that the “No S Diet” is something that I could follow and live with for the rest of my life. Eating seconds, sugar, and snacks are my down fall. It’s like this diet was especially made for me!

Then how come I keep lurking at this site and failing miserably with my attempts at this?

This is why I created this post. I need to be more accountable. I also need all of your support.

Today I begin my journey to accomplish 21 days of sticking to this plan. Besides the diet, I also would like to be successful in drinking more water and getting in more exercise.

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:51 pm

Kirby, welcome!

First i just want to say that even the attempt to do this is a life changing decision. there is no other diet out there that will work for a lifetime, despite their claims to do so....and besides, who wants to diet for the rest of their life! :shock: No-s is so great in it's simplicity. Just a few rules, and not impossible ones at that.

now with that said, i will tell you that i am the poster child for failing at this! :lol: But even with my failed attempts, i am doing so much better than i did before i found No-s. Even Reinhard will tell you that for some people it takes numerous attempts at this before you master it...and even the most seasoned No-ssers have an occasional bad day. so just don't give up! if you have a set back, just get back on plan right away, that same day at the next meal...don't wait until tomorrow, or next week, etc. that is one of the reasons this is such a great way to eat, it is so forgiving!

if you have had years of bad eating habits, sometimes it will take you a while to get the hang of just what is "normal eating". We all overeat for different reasons, so sometimes it is a matter of sorting out the emotional stuff as you procede with No-s.

welcome again, and feel free to pick the brains of fellow no-ssers! :D
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:43 am

Hi Kirby,

I'm glad you decided to post and say Hi. NoS is a great idea and this board is a very friendly and helpful place too.

It seems to take a lot of people a while to accept things and view all their attempts positively. For what it's worth, I really believe anything about your eating habits / consumption that is better than pre-noS cannot possibly be classed as a failure. Think about it. This isn't some 'race' to lose weight, to get the longest stretch of perfect eating days in a row, to consume a certain quantity and no more. This is about the rest of your life. It's about your health and wellbeing. Surely that's worth as many attempts as it takes?

I might not be the best example (check out gratefuldeb67!) but I've been doing this for the last 7 months. During that time, I've only managed one solid stretch of 21 days 'on habit'. The rest of the time, I try everyday, and every day is a new chance but once or twice a week I slip up. Despite all this though, I'm still here. I'm still going and I'm still losing weight. 20 lbs during that time, and I'm still going. My S days are pretty heavy, but even though I deliberately don't put any rules on them, they are still less heavy than pre-NoS.

Welcome and I hope it goes well for you. If you are sincerely trying your best every day, then you can't possibly call that a failure. Just keep showing up. It's the hardest thing, but also the most important.

C.
CaroleJo

Kirby

First Day--Success

Post by Kirby » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:19 pm

I am happy to report that my first day was a SUCCESS! I am very proud of my accomplishment, but unfortunately, I am suffering from a headache probably due to withdrawal symptoms from junk food! I’ll take that pain any day over the pain I used to feel after overeating.

I hit a few rough waters during the day but managed not to drown. As soon as I thought about my goal of reporting here, it kept me on track.

I had gotten into the bad habit of raiding the vending machines at work in the afternoon. What a great feeling of accomplishment to totally fight off those cravings. Another horrible habit I stood up to was my continuous night-time eating. Each night, once I ate dinner, I got into the habit of having seconds or even thirds. This then lead me to a long bingeful evening the rest of each night which probably totaled thousands of calories. Last night, I again fought the cravings and urge to have a second plate. I felt so much stronger after actually turning away from the kitchen that I didn’t even have to worry about my normal nightly binges. There weren’t any. Each time I stood up to the craving monster inside me, I seemed to get stronger. Imagine how much stronger I will be after 21 days.

Another thing that I found useful was that I paid more attention to my meals. I was more conscious of what I was eating and I feel that was because I knew that that was my time to enjoy my meal. It helped with my mindless eating that I always had done all day.

Also, after years of following a low carb diet, I now need to get out of the mindset that as long as it is low carb or veggies that you can eat as much as you want.

Thanks for your responses, Tricia and CarolJo! I really appreciate your support!

Cheryl

sfunky67

Post by sfunky67 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:15 pm

Hi Kirby,
I completely understand where you are coming from. I see you posted some congratulations on my daily check in, and you know that I have dropped 8.5 pounds in one week! I feel so good knowing that I have power over food...it is a bit scary at mealtime, however! What I mean is that with other diets, you are restricted to what you can eat, and with this plan, you can eat anything (within reason) and still be "on program"! For example, for lunch today, there was leftover cheese tortellini and tomato sauce in my fridge, and I almost thought about passing on it, because it's not something you would normally eat on a "diet". It's so hard to get beyond that mentality. I am new at this as well, and find it quite liberating to know that I fix my plate, eat what is on it, and I don't start thinking about my next helping before I'm through with my first serving like I normally would. The support on this board is phenomenal - for me accountability really helps me to keep in control. You are a week behind me...let's get to that 21 day club and keep each other honest! :) I will have some challenging weeks coming up, but hope to do my best, and just keep at it. I can't tell you how many thousands of calories I put in my mouth that I didn't even enjoy. Of course, there were many thousands that I enjoyed every bite, but the end result is that I'm not happy with the way I look or feel. I was really afraid of being hungry when I started this (probably because it had been a long time since I had actually felt hungry) but it hasn't been bad. Stick with it... the first few days are always the hardest. We'll be checking on you, Kirby! Best of luck!

Kirby

Post by Kirby » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:29 pm

SFunky57...

As I read your post, it sounded as if I wrote it.

I look forward to keeping in touch with you and both of our SUCCESS!

Cheryl

Kirby

Day 2--SUCCESS

Post by Kirby » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:48 pm

Two days down, only 19 to go!

Yesterday went very smooth....much easier than the day before. I am really enjoying this new plan...I am enjoying the fact that I have finally found a plan where I can stay in control. How can something as simple as this work for me? No more will I find everything so overwhelming. In the past, when I got overwhelmed, I gave up. I feel so much thinner now since so much weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I always caved in under the pressure of feeling like a failure with my weight loss struggles.

I had to work late last night and I had a few stops to make on the way home. I knew I would never last until I got home to eat dinner, so I did stop at Taco Bell for dinner on the way home. All I ordered was two bean burritos. I drank water I had in the car. My total bill was only $2.39 (I never ordered that little at a fast-food restaurant). I sat and ate those burritos as if I had a complete steak dinner in front of me. I was so satisfied afterwards. I know those burritos weren’t the best choice to make, but it was the choice I had made and I enjoyed it and I stopped eating when I was done. It was a BIG accomplishment for me!

Cheryl

sfunky67

Post by sfunky67 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:34 pm

Aaaah, the Taco Bell bean burrito. My favorite is with extra onion! Not a bad choice, and the price is right!

Kirby

Day 3--SUCCESS

Post by Kirby » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:42 pm

Another successful day for me with the "No S Diet!"

Now I need to incorporate more exercise into my lifestyle. I've had a few days where I was a little under the weather. My goal is to get at least 30 minutes of exercise a day. I belong to Curves, and I normally try to go at least 3 days a week.

On the days I don't go to Curves, I need to get in some type of cardio, but I am having problems fitting it in. Ideally, I should do it first thing in the morning. I am a morning person, but I usually have so much else to do that that time and I can barely get to work on time. When I get home from work in the evening, I'm exhausted and can't find the energy to exercise. I really have to think about this and make a decision soon! Exercise is so import!

Cheryl

Kirby

Day 4: FAILURE

Post by Kirby » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:32 pm

I was doing so good yesterday. I started to feel uncomfortable with cravings in the late afternoon, but managed to stay in control. Since I would only be eating until later in the evening, I had a serving of almonds to tie me over until later.

I made a great dinner. It was a Lean Cuisine meal and I made extra veggies. Once I was finished eating, I was still so hungry even though I had plenty to eat all day. One thing lead to another and I blew it!

Friday's are usually a "blow off" evening for me. I always celebrate the fact that the week is done. Food usually is the focal point of my celebrations. It's something I need to work on.

Now I need to start over again with Day One, and I will have to be particularly careful when Fridays come around.

This is going to be a lot of work. I do my best learning when I make a mistake. I need to find another word for FAILURE on the days I am off plan. I am really learning a lot about myself with this plan and how I am going to be successful at eventually getting to a healthy weight.

Cheryl

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:42 pm

It took me a few weeks to master Fridays....after about three weeks, yesterday was the first Friday i made it through by not breaking the rules...(at least, the no sweets rule, i did have extra french bread with my spagetti at dinner... :roll: ) But hey, i am getting there, and you will too!

you are doing great! :D

Oh, and personally, i call them "slip-ups", Failure is such an all or nothing word for me...."Failure" is liable to send me off the eating-deepend...while "slip-up" will just make me realize i made a mistake and it can be corrected...it's all mind games really, just find what works for you. :)
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:28 pm

Ditto!
PS... I start S days Friday evening..
It's fun.. But we don't go nuts...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

Kirby

Tricia and Deb....

Post by Kirby » Sun Feb 26, 2006 12:57 pm

Tricia and Deb: Thanks for all of your support.

Cheryl

Kirby

Beginning again: Day 1 Success

Post by Kirby » Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:26 pm

I was trying to decide if I should count Saturday as a success or not. It was an "S" day, but I felt a little guilty allowing that since I screwed up the day before. After I went through my day in my head, it was definitely a success for me!

My husband and I had two parties to go to. The first was a birthday party for my neighbors who both turned 50. Their son is a chef and the spread of food was fabulous. I had prepared a full plate, and everything on it was very healthy plus things I enjoyed. When it came time for cake, I passed on it.

The next event was a cabin fever dance in my community. I felt funny having another plate, but again I made very good choices and it was my third meal of the day.

My only slip ups for the day were several light beers and a FEW tastes of appetizers at our table. Prior to the "No S Diet," I would have done a lot more damage this day.

It feels good to have a successful day in which I was able to really enjoy myself and not go overboard. I even got in 30 minutes of exercising today.

Cheryl

schmiddtty

Post by schmiddtty » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:07 pm

The parties sound fun, especially the cabin fever one...good idea!! Sounds to me as if there were no slip-ups...it's an S day, right?? No such thing as a slip up on S day. Way to go! MJ

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Sun Feb 26, 2006 2:34 pm

Cheryl - You cannot fail on an S day.

It's official.

Enjoy it and don't worry. They will settle down in time and in the meantime, anything better than 'pre NoS' is a success however you look at it. Don't start taking revenge on yourself because it will just end up backfiring. Don't worry about the slip up on friday, just celebrate how well you did the rest of the time.

C.

ps: I also start my Saturday at 6pm on a Friday night and stop essing on Sunday at 6pm to compensate. I typically only have 1 small treat on a Friday night (a small chocolate bar, or a small bowl of icecream) but the rest of my S days are rule free and regulate themselves.
CaroleJo