A few questions for someone starting...

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
borgins12

A few questions for someone starting...

Post by borgins12 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:57 am

Hey guys,

I have been using shovelglove for about 1 week now. I am a 5'8' male and 140 pounds so im not exactly fat by any means. However, i think i am "skinny-fat" where my body in general is skinny but im starting to form a gut. Anyway, i am not too fussed about losing weight, and rather just interested in gaining some muscle. Obviously i am not looking to gain massive muscle, but i would like to feel stronger and look a bit toned.

I found a sledge at my parents place and weighed it on the scales and i think its around 8lbs. Do you reckon this is enough to start to build some muscle?

I am generally doing about 25 reps per arm, and switching between churn butter, chop wood, flip lever, shovel and hoist sack. I have gone the full 14 mins since the start. By about 10 mins i can start to feel it, and the last 4 mins i start breathing more heavily. When i finish, i can feel it in my arms for about 30 mins or so and my arms kinda shake a bit until i have eaten or drank which i think is a good sign?

Finally, does anyone take a protein powder/supplement? Im not talking a pure whey, but rather a blend that lasts 8 hours. I was thinking to just take 1 shake after a workout to help with muscle regen and growth. Or is shovelglove not really enough of a workout in the traditional sense (only lasting 14 mins) that a protein shake wont do anything and maybe add weight?

mastermesh

Post by mastermesh » Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:49 pm

I'm new too, so am interested in other's opinions...

Instead of a protein drink, why not try something like a thin slice of deli ham or something? If you have to do protein post workout, it'd seem like going to the source -- meat or eggs or something, would be better than something that has been massively processed.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:42 am

The difference is liquid versus solid. It is different when you drink something versus chew something. So try drinking something reasonable....not something decadent. It may eventually help you quit craving snacks.
Last edited by r.jean on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

filipe

Post by filipe » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:30 am

1 week of training is not enough to decide on the food needs. Your body is still getting used to the exercise nap. For me just toast and milk after training.
You should be aware that:
1 - The supplements market is not trusted to speak on food needs (all they want is sell)
2 - All the nutrients you need are present in basic food.

If you search the net, you will also find a lot of information stating that a balanced diet contains all you need. Without supplements.
Just the top 2 from google "is taking protein supplements necessary":
http://www.active.com/nutrition/Article ... ements.htm
http://www.livescience.com/8086-protein ... -work.html