One day and I freakin love it

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
pezz

One day and I freakin love it

Post by pezz » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:46 pm

I found this site about a week ago and I stopped at Home Depot today to select a hammer - picked up an 8 pounder. Tried a bunch of the exercises (just a few reps, trying to get used to this) and then went for it for 5 mins with a fun controlled freestyle. I'm an artist and I tend to get lost in imagination, which is why a lot of regular exercise bores me.

Holy smokes! My body feels like it's exploding and I like to lift. I freestyled a "zombie apocalypse" routine where I "Ran to the perimeter" (Marching in place holding my hammer, got the heart pumping), hacked off limbs (Overhand swing, like splitting logs) and dug graves (Same movements i use when shoveling snow). It was super fun and I'll add more as I get more fit :)

slothlike

Post by slothlike » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:10 am

Welcome Pezz. I go into Zombieland too - it's a good way to motivate myself.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:26 am

(belated) welcome!

Hope your still happily shugging.

"Shovelglove and Zombies" -- maybe that should be my next book proposal. :-)

Reinhard

Crafty

Post by Crafty » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:46 pm

Quite flattered by the totally unexpected spread of Zombie Killing Routine. Don't think i could run in place though. Spent 3 years as the worst person on a cross-country team in grade school (against my wishes) but now if i run i take very long strides. And I'm 6'4". My apartment would be wrecked.
Sometimes anti-social, always anti-fascist.

mastermesh

Post by mastermesh » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:51 pm

as far as zombieland routine goes... have you seen the crazy movie Abraham Lincoln - Zombie Killer yet? It's awesome. He uses a sickle instead of a hammer, but same philosophy would apply.