Jack Frost hates Urban Rangers

Urban ranger is an inspirational metaphor to get you walking. Warning: there is poetry involved. Discuss it here.
~Wonder

Jack Frost hates Urban Rangers

Post by ~Wonder » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:52 am

I'm antsy. I want to go out for a nice long walk but trudging through unshoveled and/or icy sidewalks sounds like a recipe for broken a leg. I don't have a treadmill or a gym membership and I'm not desperate enough yet to continuously walk around my apartment in a giant circle like a retired circus pony. Yesterday I shoveled snow instead of walking. I can't do that again without being committed by the neighbors. What do I do? And don't tell me to go to the mall :shudder: I can't wait til winter's over :sigh:

mrsj

Post by mrsj » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:28 am

Wonder, I bought some ice pick gizmos that fit over shoes or boots. They're kind of like soccer cleats. They weren't even that expensive. Another thing you could do is learn Nordic Pole Walking. In snow or ice or mud, one takes off the "shoes" of the poles and there is quite a sharp cleat that goes into ice or mud, therby stabilizing you.

Schlogging through unpacked snow is quite a workout! You get very strong thighs.

Do you have kids? A good snowball fight is both fun and good excersize.

Then there's cross country skiing... Urban skiing to range home the groceries. Why not? Snowshoes? The list is endless if you use your imagination.

Personally, I can't thing of anything more boring than a treadmill. I am not a hamster!
Nothing is impossible-only improbable.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:20 pm

"I am not a hamster!"

TOO FUNNY!

I hate treadmills and generally dislike most exercise machines, but I did not have a reason to express why until now. "I am not a hamster!". I love it!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

losingforgood

Jack Frost Hates Urban Rangers

Post by losingforgood » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:31 am

I love walks too, but I HATE going on them in the cold or on bad weather days. I can't afford a gym membership, and I have no room in my parents' house for exercise equipment. I started exercising a little bit about 2 weeks before I found out about the No S diet and joined the website. I decided that for now, on the days when I'm doing all cardio and no strengthening, I climb up and down my stairs 10 times (5 up and 5 down). I've found that after that few reps, I feel like I went for a 15 minute power walk when I'm done. It only takes about 2-3 minutes for me to do. On my strengthening days, I still to cardio, but I only do 6 climbs up and down, to save my energy for the strengthening. You can use the hallway stairs in your apartment complex. Don't worry if neighbors look at you strange when they pass you by. Ask them if they want to join you for a little workout. Who knows? You might get an accountability partner that way :D
I Corinthians 10:13-14; "No temptation has ceased you except what is common to man..."

What Name?

Post by What Name? » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:57 am

mrsj wrote:Wonder, I bought some ice pick gizmos that fit over shoes or boots. They're kind of like soccer cleats.
Are these gizmos YakTrax? I bought some last spring on sale and haven't had a cold icy day to try them out. If you have some insight on how I can expect them to perform this winter, I would be grateful. :-)