Persian Meel exercise

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
Big Phil

Persian Meel exercise

Post by Big Phil » Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:24 am

Hi All,
I was researching Indian Club exercises and found they were derived from Persian exercises, so I search Persian Club (Meel) exercises, as you do on the internet! Anyway there is a good site http://www.pahlavani.com/ish/html/ph/new/tools.htm
I have tried this exercise with two axes, it is kind of like the barbell exercise called "pullovers" but much more practical as it is standing and much harder on the forearm. I am going to add it to my routine as it is such a good allround upper body exercise - it absolutely canes the tricep. If you can do this with two sledgehammers you are officially "Da Man". Check out the elderly Persian wrestler doing it with 60lb meels on the website! Even his moustache looks hardcore!
Shovelglove forever!

Phil.

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:36 pm

I love it. I'd never heard of Persian Meels. Did you see the picture of the guy juggling them? (towards the bottom) Try that with sledgehammers!

And sheesh, you're right, I've gotta work on my moustache.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Jul 12, 2005 9:10 pm

Hi Phil! Are you new to SG? Those old time pictures are always so entertaining :lol: ... I would guess that a huge difference with meels and sg is the fact that with sg you can really distribute the weight through the whole handle and, if necessary, "choke up".... Those meels have small handles and you're forced to hold everything from the end, making it that much harder from the leverage factor...
But personally, I like Reinhards mustache much better, so I'm sticking with SG!!! LOL...

ps... Workouts with "Axes"??? Are you a fireman? LOL... That's actually my very favorite SG move... Just please don't juggle those! :wink:
Peace,
8) Deb

Big Phil

Persian Meels

Post by Big Phil » Wed Jul 13, 2005 12:30 am

No, I'm not a fireman - I just didn't have two sledges around but I had two axes.
Yeah, I am new to SG. But I have been reading the site for a little while. Nice to hear from you guys. I really like the attitude to fitness and strength on this site. This is an extreme lot of wank in fitness - especially on the internet - and this site seems refreshingly free of bullshit.

See Ya,

Phil.

noomi

Post by noomi » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:05 am

ust start a new discussion for yourself and update it periodically or whenever you have some new major milestone to report. You can name it whatever you want, though it might be helpful to stick some salient facts in the title like gender, time on the diet, pounds lost (or not -- don't stress). You can edit or delete whatever you post, including the discussion title.