Becky's Check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:05 pm

Re: your comments about your unhealthy lunch yesterday: if I had a dollar for every I yelled at myself like that, I'd be a millionaire by now!!!

You're doing fine overall, and overall is really what counts, so just keep on going! :D

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:00 pm

2/12/06

b:lemon tea, large borek stuffed with potato and onion
L:bowl of fresh fruit
D:chickpeas and spinach (sauteed in olive oil, garlic, onions, lemon juice and herbs), pasta made with olive oil and garlic, fresh baked bread dipped in olive oil (I didn't make it)
S:cinnamon spice tea
S:Lindt dark chocolate bar
S:roobiros red tea

Lots of food this S weekend and portions that were way, way, way too big
:D
I took Saturday and Sunday as an experimental weekend. I always wondered what it would be like to be vegan. It is not for me at this point in my life but I really admire them and how hard it is to eat! My Lindt Dark chocolate bar was vegan but I am most certain the bread portion of the borek was made with eggs and butter (lots of butter). Also, I didn't realize honey was not considered vegan for ethical reasons (who knew?). So, technically my weekend was vegetarian and not vegan. I can't explain why I did this but I was just curious I suppose. From my previous posts you can tell that I really like meat and dairy (I also happen to like the taste). Oh well, experiment over. It was interesting and awe inspiring of the people that practice veganism. I commend their dedication! Perhaps, one day, when I get No S down, I might try it again but little by little and not all at once.
Last edited by 3aday on Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:02 pm

On a completely unrelated note, I have been drinking alot of water since beginning No S. Truly, that is probably the one thing that I can say I really have been successful with. I started drinking water and haven't had soda in a couple of weeks. Even on S days. :D

3aday

Post by 3aday » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:35 pm

2/13/06
B:1/2 cup ezekial cereal, 1/2 cup soy milk, cup of roobiros tea
L:2 slices of cheese pizza, 1/2 cup diced peaches, water
D:banana, 1/2 cup ezekial cereal, 1/2 cup of soymilk, 1/2 cup of diced peaches, roobiros tea

3aday

Post by 3aday » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:43 pm

2/14/06 --S day for me--
B:1 slice whole grain toast with peanut butter and banana, 1/2 cup applesauce, roobiros tea
L:1 cup brown rice and beans, bag of carrots, applesauce topped with walnuts, roobiros tea
S: orange
(I figure it's better than the chocolate covered strawberries, homemade icecream and delicious sandwiches that are 10 feet from my desk. It all looks so good! I know I made today an S day but I made a commitment to myself to not blow the entire day, just the evening.)
S: plumLots of goodies everywhere at work! I am weak today and I feel like I can't resist them. Had to eat the plum instead of all the yummy goodies that are taunting me and calling my name begging for me to eat them! Can't wait to go home and eat dinner and chocolate with hubby.
D:Organic spicy tofu chili, fresh baked bread dipped in olive oil and spices, tomato salad with olive oil and lemon juice. It was so tasty for being so healthy. Everything tastes so good when I don't make it.
TOO MUCH DARK CHOCOLATE :D :D :D

I hope everyone has a great evening.
Last edited by 3aday on Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:54 am, edited 6 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:48 pm

So,,,,,,
Any breakfast in bed today Mizz Becky!???

Have a lovely and romantic happy Anniversary!!!!!!
I think Tricia's idea of chocolate body painting might be a fun thing to try???
LOL....

Or maybe in your case, feta cheese???
LOL...
If I could, I'd get Frank Sinatra to come back to earth to sing "Love and Marraige" to you!

Enjoy your special day!!!!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

3aday

Post by 3aday » Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:20 pm

No breakfast in bed for me today.
Maybe if it had been a Sunday.......
But, I did wake up early enough to feed hubby breakfast!
I think today will be a nice evening.
We are pretty low key so anything "extra" is super fun for us!

Wow, the greatest gift would be if you could bring Old Blue Eyes back for me!

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:09 pm

I still reckon the greatest valentines day gift would be for me to come home tomorrow and find the house has been cleaned from top to bottom! :lol:

Hope you have a fun evening, anyway.
C.
CaroleJo

3aday

Post by 3aday » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:11 pm

CaroleJo, I couldn't agree more! A clean house from top to bottom would have been awesome!
I am really lucky to have married a good, decent man.

Anyhoo.....Today was a wierd eating day for me. All I wanted was excessive amounts of fruit and nuts. I quit smoking on Saturday and I have all of these wierd cravings. Not to mention the fact that I am going nuts. But, I even dreamed of fruit last night. I went to the store and bought a crate of clementines! I haven't been eating meat since Saturday either. I am not trying to become a vegetarian now (I did an experimental weekend with every intention of stopping), but for some reason...I am not craving it. I don't know what happenned to me. People can't change from unhealthy to healthy overnight. It is just not possible. I think I am going nuts. All of the sudden, I didn't want to smoke anymore. Cold Turkey. I suddenly don't want to eat meat. Give me fruit. Lots of it! I feel like I don't know who I am right now. Don't get me wrong, I know smoking is bad and always wanted to quit but I have no idea what has got into me lately. I am sure the non meat eating and fruit fixation is just temporary but I will ride it out for as long as I can since it's healthy. I really am losing my mind. I am convinced of it.

So here goes my day:
B:walnuts, nectarine, banana
L:walnuts, 2 bananas, plum
d:veggie cheeseburger on whole wheat bread, tomato and onion salad, banana

4 bananas in one day? What is wrong with me?

Maybe the caffeine and nicotine withdrawal is making me a little nuts? I've only been drinking herbal tea the last two or three days.
Why am I drinking herbal tea? Have no idea. Just felt like it. Weird, I know!

Oh No! :shock: 2 Clementines (It was either that or a smoke)
Last edited by 3aday on Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:16 pm

Wow! Congrats on kicking the smoking out of your life!!!!!!!
Don't worry about eating too many bananas!
No one ever got serious illnesses from eating bananas, and I don't think it is too tempting to try smoking them banana peels!

I am proud of you Becky!!!
Even if you are feeling weird! :wink:
LOL..
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

3aday

Post by 3aday » Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:31 pm

Thanks Deb!
I don't think I will smoke the banana peels!
Only because I don't know how :D
I didn't want to mention the whole smoking thing in case I fail but I am kind of proud of myself because I really want one and haven't had one. I want to smoke very, very badly!

Last night I ate alot of dark chocolate. I was so full. Then I thought...you know, I would feel less full if I smoked. But I didn't. Woohoo!
One thing that bums me out though, is I thought the first 3 days were the toughest but it's getting harder :cry:

doulachic

Post by doulachic » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:27 am

my mom smoked for over twenty years and she managed to quit, so can you! my dad also smoked since he was like fifteen, one day they found a spot on his lung and he quit cold turkey that same day! (he is fine by the way, the spot went away when he quit)

so just take it one day at a time, you can do it!
***GRINS***
Tricia

"When you are in a jam, a good friend will bring a loaf of bread and peanut butter..."

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Thu Feb 16, 2006 1:39 am

I have heard really good feedback from collegues and clients I have had who smoked who tried acupuncture for smoking cessation...
One woman told me that it only took her one session...

Why not try that?
Good for you again!!!!!!!
If you stray a little with the food, don't freak... Breaking a nicotine habit is really tough... But you can do it!

Keep it up!
Love,
8) Deb

3aday

Post by 3aday » Thu Feb 16, 2006 3:24 am

Just for the next couple of days, if the urge to smoke is too bad (like tonight), I'll have a clementine. I read somewhere that citrus helps with nicotine cravings. Being that I bought a crate of them and they are really ripe and can't keep them for too long, I hope I won't develop a night time snacking pattern again.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:40 am

Hi Becky

Good on you for quitting. I was lucky in that smoking never hooked me, but I've watched enough of my friends going through it to work out how hard it must be - plus, I can't even stop biting my nails, so stopping a habit with addictive chemicals involved would be really tough! 8)

On the clementines - I don't think it'll trigger random eating at night things again... and they are so healthy anyway. Lots of fruits are actually virtually calorie neutral when you take into account the energy the body uses to process them. That said, go easy! I'm sure that between smoking and an 'addiction' to late night clementines, the clementines are much better for you though :lol:

C.
CaroleJo

3aday

Post by 3aday » Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:32 pm

I think clementines are much butter than smokes.
Normally I sit on the couch in the am with my coffee and smoke before going to work (I know I am the picture of health) but today I drank my water and 4 clementines!

2/16/08
B: water, 4 clementines
L: veggie burger with veggie cheese on a whole wheat bun (plus ketchup and mustard), cup of candied yams, water
D:2 oranges, water
(wasn't really hungry)

Last night was very bad. Had some friends come into town and went out with them. Drank too much ***SODA***. After about 50 days of not drinking any, I drank way too much last night. No alcohol. Just coca cola on the rocks. I feel like I have a hangover.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:50 pm

2/17/06

B:hashbrowns, buttered biscuit, grape juice
Chick fil a
L:1 serving of macaroni and cheese, 1 serving of green beans, 1 biscuit KFC
D:lo mein, corn, and some plaintains
Last edited by 3aday on Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:40 pm

Hi Becky!
Hope you are well!!!
Don't underestimate that you may also be going through some serious detoxification from quitting tobacco..
That might have also affected your feelings the other night...
If you can get through not smoking and not then substitute smoking for other bad habits, then you are our hero!!!
Nicotine is such a powerful stimulant... I'm sure you will be looking for ways of replacing the speed and energy you got from it..
But beware of the sugarizing... It's not any healthier..
You don't want to trade one jones for another..

Sorry you felt bad with the soda.. You will learn to limit your cravings over time!
Love,
8) Deb

3aday

Post by 3aday » Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:52 pm

I don't think I will develop a sneaky soda habit.
The soda really did me in.
I'm a total wimp!

I think giving up ciggs will be a success.
I have had other destructive habits that I have nipped in the bud!
Now if only NO S came to me so easily!

Kevin

Mama said there'd be days like this...

Post by Kevin » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:13 pm

...and there are. If you got through it, you made yourself that much stronger and lighter. If you didn't, oh well. Try again next time!
Kevin
1/13/2011-189# :: 4/21/2011-177# :: Goal-165#
"Respecting the 4th S: sometimes."

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sat Feb 18, 2006 5:14 pm

Thanks...I'm still going pretty good!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:01 pm

Hey Becky! Keep on hanging on! And no smoking dems banana peels anymore! LOL....
If necessary just eat some more prunes~
The more you get your colon clean, the quicker you'll eliminate all the toxins, instead of having them linger in your body for days and weeks..
Ooh.... a few days of raw foods would probably be a great way to do that as well...

Love,
8) Deb

3aday

Post by 3aday » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:05 pm

This weekend was fantastic but excessive. Again.
We actually celebrated our 1st Anniversary on Saturday night with a group of friends.
Dinner rocked.
Lobster tortellini, herb crusted tuna, potato gnocci, spinach, raspberry cheesecake for dessert and wine.
Sunday...
Too much food and too much junk food ! Way too much :evil: (even for an S day)

Anway...on to Monday!
Last edited by 3aday on Tue Feb 21, 2006 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:08 pm

2/20/06

M:organic full fat blueberry yogurt, 1/2 banana, black tea with 2 sugars
L:vegetable personal pizza with spinach, tomatoes, black olives, and onion, 1/2 cup applesauce, black tea with 2 sugars
D: 2 slices spinach and cheese pizza, tomato salad, 1/2 cup cinnamon applesauce, roobiros tea with honey

I totally messed up tonight.
Totally.

I had a cinnamon toast crunch cereal bar and TWO bowls of frosted shredded wheat cereal with whole milk :evil:

Why did I do that tonight? :oops:

I need to recommit to No S full heartedly.

I am going to try to do 21 solid days starting tomorrow.

Ahhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!! I ate more last night. I had a big piece of french baguette with sheepsmilk cheese before bed.
Last edited by 3aday on Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Feb 21, 2006 7:55 am

Go Becky. Good job on picking yourself back up. That's what counts really.

I'm also trying to do a 21 day straight - I've only managed that ONCE in a whole 7 months of doing this :lol: It's going well so far though.

Hang in there... and lay off that cinnamon toast stuff! It's too yummy and you're making me want some and I don't even think they SELL those over here in Europe! :P

C.
CaroleJo

3aday

Post by 3aday » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:54 pm

I am going to attempt 21 days of eating 3 meals a day/no seconds M-F

Day 1/2-21-06

B:1 cup frosted shredded wheat cereal, 1 cup whole milk, black coffee
L:vegetable personal pizza with cheese, black olives, tomatoes, spinach and onions, black coffee
D:1 bowl of organic white cheddar macaroni and cheese made with whole milk, 1 ounce of french baguette dipped in olive oil, banana, roobiros tea

My frosted shredded wheat cereal is Kashi Autumn Wheat Organic Promise cereal. I know it is a borderline food and probably an S because of the sugar frosting, but if I want to make this program for life, I need to include it in "my" program along with yogurt, jam, and honey. When I have the 3 meals a day down, then I will work on the other Sugary S's. :)

Turned out to be a bad night for me.
Late night eating. Handfuls of dried fruit, granola bar, cereal bar, piece of chocolate.
Starting all over again.
Last edited by 3aday on Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:40 pm

Day 1 (again) 2/22/06
B:1 Cinnamon Toast Cruch cereal bar, 1 cup coffee with non dairy creamer and sugar
S:1 cup coffee with non dairy creamer and sugar
L:1 piece of jerk chicken breast, 1 side of sweet potatoes, lemonade
S:bag of chips :evil: (I think I may need to buy more fruit for when those nicotine cravings kick in)
D:Manwich sandwich with kidney beans instead of meat, granola bar

Sooo, looks like I will be starting all over again tomorrow :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
Last edited by 3aday on Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:00 pm

Good luck Becky!!!
:D
ps.. Try including, even if only one ounce worth, of some form of good protein at breakfast.. This will help you avoid the late night munchies which eventually ensue when we only eat carbs for breakfast..

Love,
8) Deb

3aday

Post by 3aday » Wed Feb 22, 2006 2:40 pm

Hey Deb,
In the past I didn't have this problem at night regardless of the protein content of my breakfast.
I think it might be the non smoking issue. But, I will try to add more protein when I don't oversleep :oops:
I am just adjusting to the new lifestyle but I think I will bet back on track soon enough.
I hope :shock:

Have a good day :D

3aday

Post by 3aday » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:19 pm

2/23/06
b:1 banana, 10 brazillian nuts
l:plate of cheese fries, 1 chicken tender
d:cereal with milk, granola bar

Not the healthiest today but 3 meals.
Going shopping to buy fruits,veggies, and protein.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Fri Feb 24, 2006 12:52 pm

I am starting over again!!!! 21 days or BUST
2/24/06
B:fresh fruit bowl, banana, some almonds
L:2 bananas, 2 clementines, some almonds
D:vegetarian chili, fruit

Really craving fruit today!
Last edited by 3aday on Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:31 pm

Hi Becky,

I'm making Macaroni and Cheeze tonight for dinner. Recipe for the cheeze sauce is on my check-in thread.

Hang in!

Jammin' Jan

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 2:31 pm

You have a great weekend too Beckymeister!!!
I am crossing my fingers for you for your efforts on becoming your smoke free better than before self!!!!
Eat some clementines!!!
LOL..
Peace and Love,
Your friend in NoS health!
8) Deb

3aday

Post by 3aday » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:02 pm

I bought a big bag of tangerines! I hate to deviate from No S but when the urge to smoke gets so intense, I would rather eat fruit for now than the other junk I was eating.
I might have to hold off on my 21 day 3 meals a day for a couple more weeks until I get over the urge to smoke.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:22 pm

I am sure medicinal tangerines aren't a habit you should be worried about forming...
You can easily eat four of those a day without it interfering with losing weight...

Not smoking is your priority now...
And incidentally you could make your own little addendum as far as the No S rules for the time being, since,,,

Not Smoking can be abbreviated as
NoS!!!

Heh heh heh!!!
LOL..
Love,
8) Deb

3aday

Post by 3aday » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:43 pm

Deb,
You are right.
I will make Smoking a "No S".
Does this mean I can smoke like crazy on the weekend?
(Just kidding!)
I hope you have a great night!
Becky

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:49 pm

Yes you can smoke on the weekend, but only if you are smoking bubble gum cigarettes! :wink:
LOL....

Love,
8) Deb

3aday

Post by 3aday » Fri Feb 24, 2006 6:56 pm

I don't think I will.
I bought a crate of clementines and a bag of tangerines!
(Trying to figure out the difference)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:04 pm

Clementines don't usually have pits and are real easy to peel, and smaller..

Oh my darlin, oh my darlin!!!
Heh heh..

Love,
8) Deb

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:35 am

I did not realize that but I did get annoyed by how many seeds were in the tangerines because I got used to the seedless varierty of clementines. :shock:

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:03 am

Lousy seeds!!! :wink:

P&L,
8) Deb

3aday

Post by 3aday » Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:37 am

I know!
I don't want to eat any more tangerines because there are sooo many seeds in the tangerines.
Neither does my husband :shock:

Wow, I guess we are pretty lazy.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 1:28 pm

Nah, those seeds are really a menace!!
I don't enjoy tangerines because it's such a seed fest...

Makes me feel like Felix Unger!
"I don't like pits pits pits in my juice juice juice!"
LOL..

Good luck!
Are clementines still around?? :wink:

Oh thanks for your congrats on my thread Becky :)

Have a great day and week..
I'll be in and out because I have a lot of personal "stuff" to deal with..
I'm rooting for you!

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

3aday

Post by 3aday » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:42 pm

Thanks!
No more clementines.
And I didn't buy some yesterday because they skyrocketed in price from the last time I bought them :(

Eventually I'll eat them....

3aday

Post by 3aday » Mon Feb 27, 2006 6:44 pm

2/27/06
B:fresh fruit cup and a banana, herbal tea
L:personal pizza with spinach, tomatoes, olives, onions (no cheese), candied yams, and a banana, herbal tea
D:couscous, white beans, fried eggplant, tomatoes, and bread

I was bad last night and had toast before bed. :oops:
Last edited by 3aday on Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Mon Feb 27, 2006 10:32 pm

That pizza sounds wonderful. Did you make it yourself?

3aday

Post by 3aday » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:58 am

No, I didn't make it. Our cafeteria makes personal pizzas to order. They have the pizza crusts and you can tell them what you want on it. That's probably the best thing about the cafeteria.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Tue Feb 28, 2006 10:16 pm

2/28/06
B:fruit salad and a banana
L:salad, baked potato, banana
D:whole wheat pasta in olive oil garlic and oregano and pink beans, bread and 2 tangerines

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:35 am

Hey Becky,

just thought I'd pop in here and cheer you on a bit. It's looking pretty good!

How's that 'clementine addiction' coming along then? :lol:

C.
CaroleJo

Jammin' Jan

Post by Jammin' Jan » Thu Mar 02, 2006 1:37 am

mmmmmmmmmmm....good dinner! :D

3aday

Post by 3aday » Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:08 pm

Happy S day everyone!!!
Haven't really had a chance to post in the past couple of days.
Hope everyone is doing well and I hope everyone has a great weekend : )

Oh, CJ...my clementine addiction is now a tangelo/hummus/falafel/indian food addiction. It's interesting how quitting smoking has altered the kind of food I crave. I think cigarrettes didn't taste very good after an orange, so in the past, I would not have eaten the orange but a hotdog instead!
Last edited by 3aday on Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Mon Mar 06, 2006 11:00 pm

3/06/06
b:1 cup of fruit salad, banana
l:1 baked sweet potato, green beans, banana
d:1 cup of creamy tomato soup, "veganini sandwich": grilled focaccia bread with roasted eggplant, roasted red pepper, sundried tomatoes, feta cheese, and pesto mayonaise.

3aday

Post by 3aday » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:16 pm

3/07/06
b:bowl of fruit
L:brown rice and spicy white beans, cup of fruit, banana
S:handful of pistachios
D:falafels with tahini sauce , hummus, pita bread, fresh pineapple.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:48 pm

I am so psyched at how well you are doing Becky!
Many people would have traded one addiction for another..
It's not uncommon for people to put on lots of weight when they stop smoking... Once that nicotine is out of you, your metabolism probably changes...
I mean, nicotine is pretty much a big appetite suppressant too...

Good work!!!!!!!!
Falafel and tangerines are all NoS approved, so you are in the clear!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb