Building Muscle With Shovelglove

Take a sledgehammer and wrap an old sweater around it. This is your "shovelglove." Every week day morning, set a timer for 14 minutes. Use the shovelglove to perform shoveling, butter churning, and wood chopping motions until the timer goes off. Stop. Rest on weekends and holidays. Baffled? Intrigued? Charmed? Discuss here.
xverify

Building Muscle With Shovelglove

Post by xverify » Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:03 pm

Hi Everyone,

I've been doing SG for about a month now and even though I've built a little bit of muscle, it isn't as much as I would like. I started with and am still using a 16lb sledge.

For those who have been doing it for longer, does doing SG continue to build muscle after a month?

Also, are there any mods that can be made to make SG more effective for building muscle?

Looking forward to reading your thoughts, thanks :)

Lollingsgrad

Post by Lollingsgrad » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:25 pm

You've been doing this about as long as me so I can't help much. I've noticed muscle growth too, and would also be interested to know how far just 14 minute shugging 5 days a week gets a person. If you haven't seen Tim's work though, you should look at this website. He tells me that up to the end of his 10x series he was only doing shovelglove (along with a primal diet from the looks of it).

TUK

Post by TUK » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:13 pm

Have a look at Reinhard's progress between 2002 and 2004. In two years, he got really beefy.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Tue Aug 28, 2012 9:55 pm

Yes, definitely! This is another situation where Rheinhard was ahead of his time.one of the hot things in fitness training these days is interval training which is pretty similar to how he does shove glove shove .Sometimes people call it high intensity interval training or HIIT.
You need a timer or a clock that counts seconds and set it for 15 rounds you would split each minute between work and rest I typically do 40 seconds work 20 seconds rest. Pick five exercises and rotate three times so let's say I picked pushups, squats, burpees, ab crunches, and dips( insert shove glove moves here) you would work at the hardest intensity you could without hurting yourself during the work times and do as many as exercise 1 I could, rest for 20 seconds and move onto exercise 2 ect. In the article I read about it the trainer said if you don't look like a spazz your not doing it right.

Obviously there are many ways to swith it up by changing exercises or times. I like to keep count of reps I did and beat my time later on.

Also, you need to eat protein to build muscle, so make sure you are eating enough.
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

Lollingsgrad

Post by Lollingsgrad » Wed Aug 29, 2012 2:33 pm

I heard about the protein thing, and I took to having half a can of tuna immediately after the workout for the last couple of weeks. Whilst it's impossible for me to judge if it actually improves the muscle gain, what I have noticed is that my muscles never hurt the next day anymore. Reason enough if you ask me. Plus I like tuna.

TUK

Post by TUK » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:09 pm

Lollingsgrad wrote:Plus I like tuna.
You can't EVER beat me on canned tuna. I'm one of the reasons the population of tuna fish in the Atlantic Ocean is decreasing.

Well... to make a less pointless reply...

Protein ought to help you build muscle. Reducing grain ought to make you lose fat.

xmbify

Post by xmbify » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:48 am

He informs me that up to the end of his 10x sequence he was only doing shovelglove (along with a primal eating plan from the looks of it).

-----------
http://www.oilpainting-shop.com/famous-paintings.html