TobiasandLincolnmom's Journey

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

tobiasmom

TobiasandLincolnmom's Journey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:17 pm

Well, I'm happy to report I gave birth to a healthy 7 lb 2 oz baby boy on November 27. Yes...that's right...same exact birthday as Tobias, my 5 year old! Amazing how God works. His name is Lincoln Joseph.

I decided to start a new journal since my old one was a pregnancy journal....and I am no longer just tobiasmom!! Ha.

I'm going to do my best this month to get my bearings with no sleep, breastfeeding, and healing my body (just really achy from birth, etc). I plan to do vanilla No-S and a little walking each day. But I'm giving myself some grace this month as I get used to all the changes. But why wait til January to start? No-S is a plan for life. Sanity.

So all is well. Birth went better than I could have hoped. Tobias is adjusting to all the needs the baby is placing on me...taking his mommy away from him more. It will be a little rough for a bit. But I am just blessed beyond words!

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:26 pm

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!

Welcome little Lincoln !!!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:34 pm

~~~CoNgRaTuLaTiOnS~~~
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:13 am

Tobias AND Lincoln's Mom! Congratulations, that is just wonderful!

Be gentle with yourself as you heal and establish that nursing relationship; your body will let you what you need.

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:05 am

Iron chef: my body did let me know that I NEEDED six coconut macaroon cookies this evening! Hahaha.

Thanks, Everybody!!

NoSRocks

Post by NoSRocks » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:47 am

MANY CONGRATULATIONS, TOBIASANDLINCOLN'S MOM! :) :) :):)
Last edited by NoSRocks on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
No S-er since December 2009
Streamlined S Days: 6/25/12
SW: 170 /CW: 127
Weight loss to date: 43 lbs

Gepetto

Post by Gepetto » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:59 pm

That's fantastic! Congratulations, and big warm congratulations on the birth of Lincoln!
Start Date: 11/12/2012
Start Weight: 323 lbs.
Current Weight: 320 lbs.
Last Signature Update: 11/25/2012

eschano

Post by eschano » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:11 pm

CONGRATULATIONS! So happy for you!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:59 am

Good to hear all went well! CONGRATS!
The journey is the reward.
Maintenance is progress.

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:50 pm

Wonderful news. Congratulations to you all.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Post by Sweetness » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:56 pm

CONGRAtULaTioNs ! :!: :!: many blessings on you all!
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)
I'm a glutton for encouragement.

tobiasmom

So...

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:04 pm

Well, I haven't been super successful this week. My church has been bringing us meals....and each night they have brought dessert. The good thing is I've stuck with my three meals with one dessert. I'm just doing my best these first few weeks post-partum, and once the meals stop I will give up the sweets. Two S's is better than none, right?!

Lincoln is doing great. He is such a good eater. It's actually kinda shocking how fast you lose weight while breastfeeding! I am losing like 2 pounds a day lately. Down almost 30 pounds in a week and a half! I obviously was carrying A LOT of fluid. I'm not counting on it staying this way, but I know No-S will take care of the rest.

We are back to homeschooling this week. Life is getting back to normal slowly but surely....

jellybeans01

Post by jellybeans01 » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:16 pm

congrats!!! I did weight watchers after one pregnancy and then found no s. I did no S during and after my three other pregnancies and found it to just work wonderfully. I am not perfect though!! What a cool name! I just saw the movie Lincoln and was wondering why it has not been more of a common name.

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:15 pm

Jelly: my family totally hates the name Lincoln, but I love it!! It fits him perfectly. I just noticed your profile says you live in SA. Have I mentioned to you that we live there too? Interesting...

So I had fails all week from dessert, but I still have been watching my three meals each day. Next week I plan for some green days. One step at a time. I just have to give myself some leeway. I did just have a baby not even two weeks ago!! Got a few walks in this week too. The sleep deprivation is crazy! He sleeps awesome during the day...but I have a 5 year old that's awake during the day! Ha. It's definitely a rough little season for me sleep wise. But I will continue to enjoy my boys day and night!!

tobiasmom

Day 1

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:58 pm

I guess it's finally time to truly get on the No-S wagon. I'm 3-weeks post-partem. I think I'm ready to try three meals without snacks AND no desserts on N days. I've been just kinda doing my own thing this past month. I've lost a lot, but I'm ready to watch more closely. Still not getting much sleep....so that's a bit rough. I would like to start walking....but my days are crazy with a newborn and homeschooling. Gonna try, though!

Day 1: S Day (Wednesdays and Saturdays are my S days).

Weight at delivery 11.27.12: 235
Today's Weight 12.19.12: 205 (-30)

Gonna weigh Wednesdays.

Sweetness
Location: Fall and winters in Cuernavaca, Morelos Mexico and summers in St Paul, Minnesota

Re: Hey

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:55 pm

tobiasmom wrote: The sleep deprivation is crazy! He sleeps awesome during the day...but I have a 5 year old that's awake during the day! Ha. It's definitely a rough little season for me sleep wise. But I will continue to enjoy my boys day and night!!
Tobias is too old for naps maybe, but old enough to understand that Mom needs one! I used to have my older one take a quiet time of rest in his room. He could read books and play with quiet toys while the younger one and I got a nap. Sometimes it worked! :wink:
Patty

Anxiety in a person's heart weighs him down, but an encouraging word brings him joy. (Proverbs 12:25 NET)

tobiasmom

Dec 26

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Dec 26, 2012 2:07 pm

Today's weight: 206 (+1 this week)

well, I'm up a pound this week. I'm definitely not surprised after quite a few S days this week and salty ham for dinner last night! We had a wonderful relaxing Christmas yesterday!

I'm focusing on three meals today, period. I'm so hungry these days. Breastfeeding must be burning a lot of calories. I might need to make each meal a little bigger to avoid snacking.

I'm getting used to my lack of sleep! Ha. I'm getting six hours a night now so it's a bit better. Now if it could just be six hours in a row.....

tobiasmom

Well...

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:35 pm

Well, I had a fail yesterday. I totally ate emotionally. Found out DH is being deployed to Afghanistan. Ugh....

But today I am shooting for green!

Sweetness

Re: Well...

Post by Sweetness » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:10 pm

tobiasmom wrote:Well, I had a fail yesterday. I totally ate emotionally. Found out DH is being deployed to Afghanistan. Ugh....

But today I am shooting for green!
Ouch! My heart goes out to you! :cry:
I failed yesterday too, No good excuse here, going for green today,too. :mrgreen:
Patty

ironchef

Re: Well...

Post by ironchef » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:49 am

Tobiasmom, totally understand the emotional eating after such news. Hope you and your family are traveling ok under the circumstances.
tobiasmom wrote:I'm so hungry these days. Breastfeeding must be burning a lot of calories. I might need to make each meal a little bigger to avoid snacking.
The average breast feeding mom needs an additional 300 calories a day. And don't forget you can always have a glass of milk. I used this a lot at first, as I was always very hungry after night feeds, and didn't want to start snacking at 3am.
I'm getting used to my lack of sleep! Ha. I'm getting six hours a night now so it's a bit better. Now if it could just be six hours in a row.....
I hear you! My son sleeps a lot, just not all at once :)

eschano

Post by eschano » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:09 pm

I second ironchef - I would have had a big bout of emotional eating as well! Sending lots of good energy to you!
eschano - Vanilla rocks!

July 2012- January 2016
Started again January 2021

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:54 pm

Hey, everybody! Well, I can't actually say I've been having fully green days, but I have been doing pretty well. My weight is down....but I forgot to weigh on Wednesday. So I will just wait til this coming Wednesday to be sure.

Do you want to know what I did the day I found out hubby was being deployed? I joined Weight Watchers. Haha. Ridiculous. I have yet to count one single point or go to a meeting. It's so weird how changing diets is my way of "dealing" with stress. I know it won't work.

So today I came to the forum and saw that someone posted about committing to No-S for a full year....no diet hopping. Well, that is exactly what I'm going to do.

Whether I fail multiple days or feel like quitting, I will stick with No-S with no switching to other things for an entire year. My hubby will be back almost the end of this year (yikes). I will take this year to moderate my eating and get rid of diet mentality. I love the sanity of No-S. I just get caught up in wanting to lose quickly...and in the end lose nothing!!

One day at a time. There's 51 more weeks in this year!! Today is an S day. I will continue with S days on Wednesdays and Saturdays. The only S I have planned for today is some hot chocolate. I just love it!! It satisfies my sweets craving! I also have a horrible sore throat....so we have no plans today.

I can't wait to see what dec 31, 2013 brings....or even dec 31, 2014!!!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:54 pm

Good for you on the green days... And I agree, No S is the best! :!: :mrgreen:
Patty

tobiasmom

Weigh in

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:19 pm

Today 1.9.13: 202 (-4 the past two weeks)
Total: -33

I'm hanging in there. I had my 6-week checkup today. All is good. I have a bad head cold...ugh! Otherwise I'm getting back to sort of a regular schedule. I get to start working out now! Gonna do Walk Away The Pounds...

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:25 pm

Congrats on the 33 lbs lost, well not all LOST, part was baby! You are doing great!
Patty

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:17 pm

I've had a few green days this week in addition to my Wednesday S day. I'm feeling good. I have a bad sinus infection so I haven't started my workouts yet...but food is going well. I just love No-S!! I'm making a pot roast for dinner tonight over mashed potatoes (Pioneer Woman's recipe). We have a birthday party tomorrow so if the cake looks worth it that will be my S day treat.

I have a dr appt today for my blood pressure. It is still as high as it was during pregnancy and I'm on two different meds!

Have a great weekend, Everybody!

Jonas Jonasson

Post by Jonas Jonasson » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:30 am

Hi there,
Thanks for stopping by and offering kind words.
I also quite like the name (although it's not my real one) and I know some toddlers/babies called Jonas. But you know what: I think Lincoln is even cooler. Congratulations, crazy lady :lol:
I just hope that you are feeling better now and that your doctor's appt went okay.
Disclaimer (still applicable):
If a person is fairly new to English their English words and expressions are influenced by their mother tongue, so things that might sound impolite to you are not always meant in that way.

tobiasmom

Blood pressure

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:41 pm

So guess what? I took my own personal blood pressure cuff to the doc yesterday, and it is off by 9 points.....too high! So it turns out that my blood pressure is stabilizing. I still have to be on meds, but I'm happy that it isn't continuing to go up.

Guess what else? The hubby is doing No-S with me now. That should make it even better to do it together. He is still scheduled to go to Afghanistan, but we have word that he might not have to go!

I started working out this week finally. Just taking it slow....WATP. 20 min a day.

Weigh in tomorrow. I had a fail yesterday after two S days....so we will see. I'm not eating very bad, but I need to get stricter. This is a marathon, though...I've got nothing but time!

tobiasmom

Weigh in

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:21 pm

Weight this week: 202 (stayed the same as last week)
Total loss: 33 (of course 10 of it was baby!)

No gain or loss this week. I did have a couple fails this week so I'm assuming that's why my weight didn't budge. I know what I need to be doing. I just need to be stricter. This isn't a sprint, though......

Here's to another great week!!

tobiasmom

Weigh in

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:33 pm

Weight this week: 201 (-1)
Total Loss since giving birth: 34

Not the greatest week. I have been struggling with not snacking. We have company right now, which probably isn't helping, but that's just an excuse. I am down a pound despite the little indulgences here and there, but I know this program would work a lot better if I actually followed it!! The breastfeeding is the only thing helping me out right now.

So back to the basics. Going to start a 21-day challenge today just to keep myself in check! Haven't exercised either....

Baby boy is 8 weeks. He is such a doll. Homeschooling is going well too. So all is well on tHe home front!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 am

I can relate to this - am also struggling with N-days and know I would do so much better if I was stricter! I guess we just need to buckle down, right?

Glad to hear your little boys are doing well! My oldest one turns 18 this weekend and I can still remember vividly how it was when he was so little. They grow up oh so quickly!

tobiasmom

Day 1

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:02 pm

I had planned to do another 21-day challenge...but never got started. The truth is I've been doing No-S the whole time....but I would like to do another little challenge to get myself more focused on the rules of No-S. so I've decided to do a 30-day challenge just for the heck of it.

Starting off the morning right with a creamy Delish bowl of overnight crockpot steel cut oats with almond butter and honey. Grandma bought some honey bells from QVC so I've gotta eat those up too! I'm working on eating more REAL food. I'm trying the meal plans from Fresh 20 for dinners...just to make meal time prep more streamlined with less planning now that life has gotten so much busier these days. Its five meals made with 20 frsh ingredients. This week: southwest chili corn carne with homemade tortilla chips, blackened salmon (chicken for the kid) tacos with quinoa salad, quinoa minestrone with side salad, spaghetti bolognese with spinach salad, and steak fajitas with chili lime corn.

Gonna try to get in a little more exercise too!

tobiasmom

Weigh in

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:10 pm

Weight this week: 206 (+5)
Total loss since giving birth 11.27.12: -29

Wowzers!!! Scale says I'm up five pounds this week. I obviously have been eating A LOT worse than I realize. I knew I was overeating and snacking too much.....but holy moly! Well, this gives a girl the kick in the booty she needs! I have been struggling with diet head again and had planned on going back to Weight Watchers. But then I remembered my commitment to you all of one year of No-S! So I've gotta stop messing around and just follow the darn program! I've just been a glutton is all. I do NOT need all these snacks and sweets!

Baby is doing great. At his two-month appointment yesterday he weighed 14 pounds! The breastfeeding is going a lot better also. I'm starting to get a better routine with housework and bible study and such. Need to work in the exercise still!

tobiasmom

Weigh in

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:16 pm

Weight this week: 203 (-3)
Total loss since giving birth: (-32)

I had my first truly green day on a looooooong time yesterday! I also walked with my neighbor. Sadly, I am sore! Haha. I'm feeling good and ready to get some more green days under my belt!

MJ7910

Post by MJ7910 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:39 pm

nice job! you can get your streak going again!
Current BMI: 22.9. Height: 5'4.5"
Highest BMI: 25.5 in August 2011.
Lowest adult BMI: 20.8 in February 2012.

ironchef

Post by ironchef » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:57 am

tobiasmom, sounds like you are going really well for only 2 months post partum. Just keep chipping away, and the habits will form. Don't be too hung up on the scale at this early stage, especially since you are breast feeding. You can do it!

tobiasmom

Check in

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:18 pm

THREE green days in a row :lol: Feeling awesome! I'm even walking with my neighbors a few days a week! And you're right, iron chef, the scale doesn't really matter. I should probably drop down to weighing once a month, but I just like to keep an eye out each week to stay accountable. Looking forward to a couple S days. You know what I want? Chocolate covered almonds!

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:22 pm

Congrats on your green and your walking!

Strawberry Roan

Post by Strawberry Roan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:50 pm

Been gone a while but so HAPPY to read about the birth of your healthy baby and want to let you know that you are doing great! :D
Berry

tobiasmom

Day 1.....again

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:26 pm

Thanks, Berry!

Well, I'm back at it again....ugh! 204.8 this morning....but I'm gonna spend March focusing on N day habits and not weigh myself. The scale is not my friend when trying to focus.

We are also going gluten free for the month to see if it clears up my five-year-old's nagging stomach pain that he's had his whole life. A little overwhelming. But my boy is suffering so I'm willing to do anything!!

Day 1 again.....

tobiasmom

March

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:06 pm

March goals: focus on N days. Vanilla. Get some exercise in each week. And I'm giving up soda for the rest of March. I had a false start earlier in the month. It definitely gives the baby bad reflux....and it's bad for me too!!

3.11: S DAY(my birthday)
3.12: FAIL
3.13: SUCCESS
Last edited by tobiasmom on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:29 pm, edited 6 times in total.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:20 pm

Good to see you still here and sticking with it!
Maintenance is progress.

No BS

Post by No BS » Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:47 pm

Good on you for hanging in & committing to March! It is a lot of hard work but the rewards and benefits are ginormous!! :D

I expect you'll see a considerable difference just giving up soda.

Good luck! :D
If you are not living life on the edge you are taking up too much room!!

tobiasmom

Commitment

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:56 pm

Haven't been doing so well on my commitment to No-S for the entire year. I have gone back to Weight Watchers twice this year only to get sick of counting after a day or two. I have also gone back and forth in my head almost daily with trying all kinds of other stuff.

So......today is my 36th birthday! I am recommitting to a year of No-S. no more talking. Just gotta do it. Today is an S day for me. We are having Chuy's for my birthday. But my biggest commitment is to just keep sticking with No-S despite setbacks or anything else. No more dieting!! My diet head is just a real issue that I want to tackle this year. I want to have a healthy relationship with food for my two little boys AND for myself.

I get sick and tired of not sticking to things. The great part of No-S is the sanity. I need to give up my expectations of quick weight loss. It does not work in the end. I feel super unhealthy right now. I'm breastfeeding and I really desire to give my baby the best nutrition. Food has been my best friend AND enemy for a very very long time. I'm done with all that. Done.

So I figure my birthday is as good a day as any ;)

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:03 pm

Happy birthday! :D

You can do it! Just imagine where you want to be on your 37th birthday. Still on No S and losing slowly but surely, or jumping around from diet to diet looking for a quick fix? I dropped out of the No S Diet before and really regret it because I undid all my progress. This time I am sticking with it!

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:20 am

Happy Birthday! I like SpiritSong's idea of visualizing where you want to be at your next birthday...

childoftheking

Post by childoftheking » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:26 pm

Happy Birthday! I believe the best gift you can give yourself this year is sanity when it comes to food! You can do it! Just focus on one day at a time. :D

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:55 pm

Thanks, everybody! I definitely see myself losing slowly but surely and sticking with No-S. there's really no hurry. The stuff I'm going to learn about myself along this journey is what's important. I am done with diet hopping. It has gotten me absolutely nowhere the last 20 years!! Yikes.... That's a LOnG time of trying the same exact way of life.

By my 37th birthday I will be successfully following No-S and a lower weight than today at least ;). I would also like to be incorporating some sort of daily exercise in regularly.

For the record my S day (bday) yesterday was anything but sane, but today I'm focusing on a successful N day.

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:23 pm

You are doing well if you commit to No S at age 36. I was 54 when I found No S and realized that this system shows us how to make sustainable changes...not just how to lose weight! Keep up the good work.
Maintenance is progress.

tobiasmom

Yay

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:42 pm

Finally had a success yesterday! It's been a while. And I worked out two days in a row :). Jillian Michaels is no joke. I did a sample of body revolution yesterday. Wow. So I ordered the videos. They should be here in a week. They are 30 minutes a day so I should be able to accomplish that when the boys are resting.

Feeling in much better spirits today. Exercise definitely does that. Going out with a friend to see Oz tonight WITHOUt kids!! I love my boys...but yay!!!

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:05 pm

So what I'm about to admit is scary for me. I did not have this happen with my last pregnancy....nor have I struggled with this in my life much. I have post-partem depression/the baby blues. It kind of snuck up on me. Life this past few weeks has been hard for me. No motivation. Crying for no reason. General sadness. The weird thing is that Lincoln is the best baby! We have such a strong bond. But my hormones are on overdrive.

Needless to say I have not been following No-S in any fashion....quite the opposite, actually. I cannot use this depression as an excuse to binge and lose my health. These boys need me. The more unhealthy I feel, the more depressed I feel. Such a cycle! I cannot imagine feeling this way every day of my life. So I'm sooo sorry to you who struggle with depression. It's actually more like anxiety for me right now. I get overwhelmed easily and then I cry. Ugh.... Cannot wait for my hormones to go back to normal!!

So I'm just gonna work on one meal at a time. I'm taking it one day at a time....

sophiasapientia

Post by sophiasapientia » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:35 pm

Big hugs to you! You aren't alone. Many women struggle with the baby blues. I did, although I didn't realize it until after the fact. If you haven't already, I'd strongly urge you to talk with your doctor ASAP. There are resources that can help. Things will improve.

tobiasmom

Day 1 again.

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:51 pm

Ugh... Have not been following No-S still. bUt I did get my Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, and I finished an entire week. Tough....but it really lifts my spirits. It's amazing what exercise does for your mind!

So this week's plan is to continue with Jillian and follow No-S. I tried to follow her meal structure, and it's just NOt for me. I need to stop trying everything else and really give No-S an honest effort. I've just been sooo wishy-washy.

I need the simplicity of No-S. not so much planning and counting. Easter candy got the best of me last week. I will really work on that this week!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:56 pm

My heart goes out to you. I went through that with both of my boys, but it was far worse after my second son was born. It eventually went away. Like you, I totally got away from healthy eating, up until recently -- and my youngest is 19 months old. Good job on the exercise. That has helped me, too! Do you have any hobbies? Playing my clarinet (hence, my user name) is the other thing that has helped me to feel better.

tobiasmom

Jillian

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:39 pm

I'm starting my third week of Jillian. I'm really enjoying it....and I'm so sore I can barely walk! Ha.

Eating, on the other hand, hasn't been so great. I managed to count points for a week and got sick of it yesterday. I've been snacking a lot and eating a lot of sugar (but still IN points)....and it's led to some binges (still in points too). I just think it's kind of insane.

Now that my exercise is pretty firmly established I've gotta work on the eating. Stop the excuses. Stop trying quick weight loss. I'm still breastfeeding....but I don't need snack after snack after snack :)

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:38 am

I'm in the same boat. I'm great about exercising, but the eating is still a challenge (but I'm doing a lot better). I think as long as you work on reestablishing good eating habits, you'll be ahead of the game.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Another addition to the boat here. I've been exercising more or less consistently since July 2010. :D No S, not so much. :oops:

When I was younger, I could start up doing some daily cardio and after two weeks I would see my weight start to go down. Now that I am older and post-menopausal, that doesn't work and I have to pay attention to my eating. At least I'm more fit now. 8)

KL

Post by KL » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:11 pm

clarinetgal wrote:as you work on reestablishing good eating habits, you'll be ahead of the game.
Yes, so true!

It can be so challenging to let go of quick fix seductive diethead. :wink:
"Everything is permissible for me - but not everything is beneficial...I will not be mastered by anything." 1 Cor 6:12

tobiasmom

Ugh

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:34 pm

It's almost like I'm using the exercise as an excuse to eat worse than ever! I have been really struggling with the sweets....and snacking!

Ugh. Back to square one. I will NOT quit trying.

SpiritSong

Re: Ugh

Post by SpiritSong » Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:51 pm

tobiasmom wrote:Ugh. Back to square one. I will NOT quit trying.
Every day is square one. You can do it!

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:20 am

I hear you! I'm still struggling with the sweets, myself. You can do it!

tobiasmom

21 Days

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:31 pm

Trying for a 21-day challenge starting today. I haven't stuck to anything for 21 days in a loooooong time!

Today is the day. 210.4 (see what dieting gets ya?? Heaviest I've been since giving birth)

4.22: GREEN
4.23: GREEN
4.24: GREEN
4.25: RED (shared an unplanned cupcake)
4.26: GREEN
4.27: S DAY
4.28: S DAY

4.29:
4.30:
5.1:
5.2:
5.3:
5.4: S DAY
5.5: S DAY

5.6:
5.7:
5.8:
5.9:
5.10:
5.11: S DAY
5.12: S DAY
Last edited by tobiasmom on Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:05 am, edited 6 times in total.

tobiasmom

Day 1

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Day 1: GREEN! Feels awesome. I wanted to give in in the afternoon and have some soda we have leftover from camping, but I stuck to my guns and feel awesome as a result. It's amazing how the momentum gets going with No-S. I have a horrible head cold so won't be getting much exercise this week. I will resume Jillian next week, hopefully!

1. One slice toast with butter, lime Greek yogurt with granola, black coffee

2. Four-cheese penne pasta

3. Crockpot creamy italian chicken over rice, green beans
Last edited by tobiasmom on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpiritSong

Post by SpiritSong » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:53 pm

Way to go with that self-esteem boost! :D

Amy3010

Post by Amy3010 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:29 am

Way to go! Hope you're feeling better soon - make sure before you start Jillian up again - her workouts are HARD!

tobiasmom

Day 2

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:43 pm

Day 2: GREEN!

I don't remember it being this hard to stick to, but I've been very overwhelmed lately and sick.....and I usually use food as my comfort. So that's been a challenge. I know from the past, though, that once I hit my groove No-S is a breath of fresh air :)

1. Smoothie, Kind bar
2. Two small slices pizza, salad
3. Ortega egg bake with sour cream, hash brown

tobiasmom

Day 3

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:30 am

Day 3: GREEN

1. Bagel with peanut butter, black coffee
2. Chicken tender sandwich, fries, water
3. spaghetti, garlic bread

No exercise still cuz I'm coughing like crazy.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:07 am

Good job! I hope you feel better soon.

~reneew

Post by ~reneew » Thu Apr 25, 2013 2:19 pm

I know how you feel. I wonder if coughing burns more calories? Sneezing? For sure shivering... Get well soon!
I guess this doesn't work unless you actually do it.
Please pray for me

tobiasmom

Day 4

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:16 pm

Day 4: RED (but super sane. It just wasn't planned)

2. Leftover spaghetti, garlic bread
3. Vegetarian restaurant with a friend (one plate: 1/2 veggie burger, 1/2 veggie quesadilla with fruit)

Unplanned S event: 1/2 cupcake, small soy chai latte (we shared a small cupcake. I considered not making it a red, but it was NOT planned and not an S day).

tobiasmom

Day 5

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:01 am

Day 5: GREEN

1. Vanilla yogurt with granola, pecans, and dried cranberries, black coffee
2. Korean taco, chips and queso, a couple fries (tgiFridays)
3. Pizza crescent rolls, tortilla chips

Dinner was not very nutritionally dense...and I can feel it. I'm hungry already. But heading to bed in a bit.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:57 pm

Congrats on the 4/5 green No S days. Your red doesn't sound any worse than my planned S event. I brought a bag of home popped corn to the movie last night. Have a great weekend! 8)
Patty

tobiasmom

Day 6

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:17 pm

Day 6: S DAY

B: homemade waffle (this was delicious, and I think I will be making these every Saturday!!)
L: angel food cake, cherry coke
D: mini deli sandwich, baked beans x 2, salad x 2, pasta salad x 2, chips, one cup sweet tea, one serving trifle
S: can of root beer

Wow...drank and ate a lot of sugar today!! Gonna enjoy myself today....but maybe not sooo much sugar?!

Sweetness

Re: Day 6

Post by Sweetness » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:03 pm

tobiasmom wrote:Day 6: S Day
Wow...drank and ate a lot of sugar today!! Gonna enjoy myself today....but maybe not sooo much sugar?!
I feel weird when I have lots of sugar, and I did this weekend. I also found I had trouble with control yesterday. I think I will post what I eat next weekend like you did to help with accountability. Here's to a green week! 8) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

tobiasmom

Do over

Post by tobiasmom » Sun May 05, 2013 1:42 am

It's amazing how quickly I lose steam. A couple bad days....and I quit and tried another diet again. Ridiculous. Will I ever learn??

Back at it again. Of course today is an S day.

tobiasmom

Tired

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:42 pm

I'm tired. Really tired. I'm tired of coming here month after month after failing at "trying yet something else that works better." For the past two years I've known No-S was the answer....but I've just failed to put it into practice for any length of time. I don't know what's so tough about it for me.

I'm not in a great place right now. As of this very moment my dog is dying. He was our child before we had children. The sadness has me binging. The binging has my head hurting (I have high blood pressure). It's just a viscous cycle. I'm also still experiencing post-partum anxiety. Ugh.....

So I'm just coming here being downright honest. It's not pretty. But this is where I am right now. No-S is what I need. no-S works. No-S is sanity. Will I remember this when I get up tomorrow?

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:39 am

I'm praying for you now, dear. I'm sorry life is hard for you now. Dogs just don't live long enough, do they!
Patty

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:03 pm

(((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))

Don't beat yourself up sweetheart! Life is tough enough with out you beating up on yourself!

You don't have control of your anxiety or your dog's passing, but you do have control of No S.

Take it 1 plate (meal) at a time and if you fail just continue as of the next meal.

((((((((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

tobiasmom

So...

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:27 pm

Guess what?? My dog is going to live!! He was severely dehydrated....and has ulcerative colitis. That's what was causing all the blood and him just laying around. We just need to change his diet...haha. I guess that makes two of us!!!

I'm feeling some drive to start right this very moment taking control of my health. Three meals today, period. No sweets. I know I can do it :)

Sweetness

Re: So...

Post by Sweetness » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:58 pm

tobiasmom wrote:Guess what?? My dog is going to live!! He was severely dehydrated....and has ulcerative colitis. That's what was causing all the blood and him just laying around. We just need to change his diet...haha. I guess that makes two of us!!!

I'm feeling some drive to start right this very moment taking control of my health. Three meals today, period. No sweets. I know I can do it :)
Good news! Yay! :lol:
Patty

MerryKat

Post by MerryKat » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:25 am

Oh, that is fantastic News!!!!

Yippee!!

Let No S help you make the eating part of your day easy - 3 meals! Done!!
Hugs from Sunny South Africa
Vanilla No S with no Sugar due to Health issues - 11 yrs No S - September 2016 (some good, some bad (my own doing) but always the right thing for me!)

tobiasmom

Day 1

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:51 am

Yesterday was GREEN!!!! My pup's home. He isn't doing all that great, but he will recover. It's just gonna take some time and lots of meds!!

But no matter what is going on in my life my health is most important. I can't help everybody if I lose my health!!

Onward to day 2!!
Last edited by tobiasmom on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:37 pm

Things are looking up for you! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Patty

tobiasmom

Hey

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:55 pm

Life has finally calmed down a bit. My dog is doing wonderful! All the meds and change in diet have healed his poor tummy.

I needed a little motivation this morning. First I read this journal and saw that I actually weigh about 7 or 8 lb more than I did in January! But then I went over to the No-S success stories and read quite a few. I know I can and will be one of them.

In the beginning of the year I committed to a year of No-S. I haven't given my best effort this first six months (mostly cuz I keep jumping ship and counting points, which I know I can't stand and won't stick to). So this next six months I plan to just stick with vanilla and the number one rule....no other diets. None!! No more dieting!! Of course my long-term plan is to stick with No-S for life, but I'm trying to set smaller goals at the moment : )

2. Turkey and Swiss on deli roll, potato chips, diced peaches
3. Italian beefaroni with spinach, garlic bread

(Swam and tread water a bit at the pool today with the kids)

tobiasmom

Thursday

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:33 pm

1. Two homemade pancakes topped with peanut butter and sliced bananas
2. Sandwich, chips, peach
3. Two-bean minestrone, garlic cheese bread

UPDATE: this became a red at the Spurs finals party we went to tonight. I kinda want to count it as an S event, but it wasnt exactly planned.... (Chips, salsa, and soda)

Last edited by tobiasmom on Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:29 pm

:mrgreen:
Patty

ZippaDee

Post by ZippaDee » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:07 am

Sounds like you are doing great...still pluggin' away! I'm with ya! Vanilla...day in and day out...the last half of the year! Let's do it! :D
"Rivers know this: There is no hurry. We shall get there some day." ~Winnie the Pooh ~

A Flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms!

Diets Don't Work.

tobiasmom

Why

Post by tobiasmom » Wed Jul 17, 2013 12:38 pm

Why, oh, why do I continue to fall into the WW trap? I get so caught up in trying to lose the weight faster.....and the exact opposite happens. I lose 5 and gain 8-10. I have tried WW at least 25 or 30 times. If it was gonna work I'm pretty sure it would have by now. There's something in me that just can't stick with it.

I committed to a year of No-S and have yet to really try to stick with it for more than a week at a time. This journey is a lot less about weight loss and a lot more about me changing my relationship with food. It's a sick relationship, actually.

Moderation is the exact opposite of me as a person!! And exactly what I need. I think I need to give up the scale for a while and all my expectations and truly just stick with vanilla No-S and this idea of moderation. The struggle is that I'm heavy right now and my tummy is big (had a baby seven months ago) and I don't like what I see. My brain thinks about what quick fix I can jump to. But I know deep down I won't stick with a single one of them. I won't!

I've got to accept where I am right this minute and that 10 extra pounds do not define me or change WHO I am! I am lucky enough to be married to my best friend for 14 years and to raise our two beautiful boys that I absolutely adore, and I get to serve a Most Holy Loving God!! There's sooooooo much more to life than food!!

Sweetness

Post by Sweetness » Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:18 am

I just wanted to tell you about the online Bible study that has been helping me a lot! I was going to send you a private message, but can't figure out how to do it... It's called the Lord's Table its a two month daily Bible study and they set you up with a mentor who reads your responses and checks in with you at least once a week. Its free, and you can do the study with or without doing their eating plan. The idea is to fill up with God so that you no longer need to overeat, and to repent of the sin of overeating. I am on day 44 and I'm very hopeful that I can finally be free of overeating. After all I'm free of lying and cheating, and a bunch of other sins, why is this one different?
Here is the link to the FAQ page:
http://www.settingcaptivesfree.com/cour ... e/faqs/#17
Patty

tobiasmom

So...

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:17 pm

So I start the day out strong and then somehow lose it with the sweets. The sweets are a huge issue for me right now. I've gotta get my head straight. My body is willing. It's my brain that fails me :)

tobiasmom

Week 1

Post by tobiasmom » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:52 pm

B: two slices toast with peanut butter, banana, black coffee
L: turkey and cheese sandwich with mayo, chips, applesauce
D: green chili verde enchiladas with sour cream, veggies

Couch to 5K week 1 day 1

tobiasmom

Week 1

Post by tobiasmom » Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:05 pm

B: egg, bacon, and cheese sandwich, applesauce
L: salad with muenster and ranch, fruit
D: garlic rosemary chicken and potatoes, mixed veggies

tobiasmom

Week 1

Post by tobiasmom » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:34 am

B: baked oatmeal, black coffee
L: leftover green chili chicken enchiladas
D: Frisco burger and fries, water (Steak n Shake)

I fought HARD for this one. I ignored popcorn this afternoon and shakes at dinner. My mind was very weak and close to giving in, but I really want to follow this plan completely! And I can have that stuff on S days if I choose :)

r.jean

Post by r.jean » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:58 pm

Good for you! It is great to see you taking care of yourself while facing the challenges of being a mother of small children.
Maintenance is progress.

snapdragon

Post by snapdragon » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Good job resisting!!!!
Starting weight 185
Healthy BMI 139
Willingness without action is fantasy

tobiasmom

Week 1

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:40 am

B: baked oatmeal
L: turkey and cheese sandwich on homemade dill French bread (sooooo good), peach
D: eggplant Parmesan (half), salad, roll

Couch to 5K Week 1 Day 2

I seriously feel amazing right now! Amazing what one week of green N days can do for you physically ANd mentally!! I'm not weighing myself because I'm really trying to focus on my habits, not the number on the scale. I might weigh myself once a month. We will see.... I just know that if I got on the scale I might judge differently than I am right now. Right now I know this is what I need to be doing. I am healing my relationship with food. I am enjoying my food again....but not to excess! And I ran on the treadmill yesterday (for a little bit)!

A few years ago when I really followed No-S (before getting pregnant) I was like the No-S cheerleader! I feel that coming back! Watch out world :)

Two S days coming up. Tomorrow I am making some chocolate chocolate white chocolate chip cookies to take to a pool party :)

tobiasmom

Week 1

Post by tobiasmom » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:26 pm

B: baked oatmeal, black coffee
L: leftover eggplant Parmesan with pasta
D: sub sandwich, kettle chips, apple juice

jw

Post by jw » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:43 pm

You are a cheerleader! Thanks for dropping by my page and encouraging me, Tobiasmom!
"The second you overcomplicate it is the second it becomes the thing for which it is a corrective." -- El Fug

tobiasmom

Week 1

Post by tobiasmom » Sat Jul 27, 2013 9:02 pm

S DAY

B: chocolate chip pancakes (3) with syrup
L: sandwich, chips
S: some cookie dough while baking :)
D: 3 slices pizza, chips and dip, 2 cans coke, 1 cookie

Everything just seemed soooo sweet after five N days!! Wow. It's true...excess is also REaLLY noticeable when you're used to three plates!

Couch to 5K week 1 day 3: week 1 done and feeling good!

I LovE me some No-S!!! Learning something new about myself each and every day!

tobiasmom

End of week 1

Post by tobiasmom » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:06 pm

Day 7: S Day

B: 1/2 bagel with peanut butter, 1/2 banana, black coffee
L: Chicago dog, fries, water
S: Oreo ice cream sandwich, one cookie
D: chicken, mashed potatoes, veggies
S: three cookies, hot chocolate

One week down! A lifetime to go :)