Navin's sort-of-daily check-in

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 2:15 am

I hope you don't lose your "care keys" either, because,,,,,

I care about you!!!!

LOL... :lol:
Love,
8) Deb

gj

Post by gj » Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:53 am

When I go jogging I tie my spare key into my shoelaces (with a double knot ;-)). Piece of string around the neck might be more sensible though, now that I actually stop and think about it.

navin

Post by navin » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:29 pm

GJ - key on a string... kind of like how Frodo carried the ring? That's actually not a bad idea. I may have to try that next time.

Deb - yes, thanks for the clarification. :)

Oh yeah, I finished in just under 31 minutes. Still have yet to break that elusive 30 barrier, but I'm getting closer...
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Sep 17, 2005 4:53 pm

Yay Navin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wow, maybe your watch was running slow? :wink:
Next time you will do it in 29 minutes!
Good for you! :D
I am vicariously enjoying all your exercise as I sit here slothfully enjoying the weekend! :P
Love,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:59 pm

Well, this week was so-so. Number on the scale: 176, no change from my last official weigh-in two weeks ago.

I followed the letter of the law in No-S but seemed like I ate more than ususal. Dumb pumpkin muffins!

Today itself was actually pretty good. I avoided chowing down on cookies my area's (work) picnic, and limited myself to one plate (though it was full, and involved some non-Betsy-approved Cheetos, becuase they come in a krinkly bag..) and did a reasonalbe amount of exercise... biked to/from work and also had about 1-1/2 mile round-trip walk from my building to the picnic area.

The weekend awaits, as do some Nanaimo bars in my fridge. Happy S-weekend, y'all.
Before criticizing someone, you should try walking a mile in their shoes. Then you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:22 pm

Ha ha ha!!! Betsy has you by the Cheetos bag!
Sorry about the dumb pumpkin muffins!
Those sound really good..
If it just means you stayed the same, I wouldn't be too upset!
Consider yourself lucky Nathan.. You didn't gain...
Pumkin muffins usually turn me into a big pumkin myself!
Have a fun weekend and enjoy your ice cream!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Sep 24, 2005 1:33 am

Hey Nathan,
I just wanted to mention the really good meal we just had..
Yes, fast food, but I took your advice, (well not advice, but you did mention this in a post once) and we went to Wendy's...
I totally forgot how yummy they are!
I got something I never got before, a bacon cheese potato...
That, and a small chili, plus a small chicken nuggets..
It was like a banquet! LOL..
Really, I don't think I'll be eating much at McDonalds anymore..
This was like actual food!
So, anything exciting planned for this weekend?
Maybe some cheetos?
Love,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:10 pm

Oh yeah, this week's results were OK - weight stayed the same (176 - that's one pound too heavy to ride in the bumper cars at Gattitown). I had an extra S-day this week. A friend and collegue got promoted. This promotion is a bit unusual in that though he's not a manager, he technically outrankes many of them. I consider this guy an image of what I'll be like in about 10 years (well, from a corporate point of view), so it gives me hope that I won't have to go into management to get anywhere here. So that clearly merited eating a couple of the celebratory doughnuts he brought in. (He got the good ones too - not just Krispy Kreme, but from one of the best bakeries in town.)

We'll see what next week brings. My goals for next week are to lose one lb (I've been stuck on 176 for a while), and get an assist or goal in my hockey game. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sun Oct 02, 2005 7:04 pm

You will reach your Goal!!!!!

Love,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Fri Oct 14, 2005 2:22 pm

Well, the last two weeks i've stayed pretty steady... still hovering between 176 and 177.

I'm leaving right now for a week-and-a-half vacation... woohoo! Hopefully I'll have enough common sense during it all that I won't gain anything. :)

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Mon Oct 17, 2005 2:04 pm

Yo Navin!
See you in 7 days! LOL...
So, I decided you should come out to Great Neck! LOL...
We can have a bagel brunch and then I'll give you a tour of my town!
Maybe we'll walk around Kings Point Park where I took those pictures last year...
ps... It's definintely brisk/sweater weather up here now, incase you were wondering...

Peace and Love,
8) Deb

reinhard
Site Admin

Post by reinhard » Wed Oct 19, 2005 12:31 am

Navin,

Sorry it's been so long...

Congratulations on being the lowest weight in your adult life. That's not a bad place to plateau for a bit...

Being off by one, from your running goal and your weight loss goal means you've probably set very good goals!

So are you going to ride the bumper car when you hit 175?

Reinhard

navin

Post by navin » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:01 am

Thanks, Reinhard. Yeah, being able to ride those bumper cars is quite the incentive. :)

Assuming, of course, this vacation doesn't sabotage my efforts too much. Although I haven't stuck to things 100% i have done a lot of walking and hiking and stuff, so it's not too terrible.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:45 am

So, what kind of bagel are you having today Nathan???
Cinnamon Raisin, sesame, or onion???

LOL..

Have a great day in your Old Kentucky home!
Peace and Love,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:47 pm

The cinnamon raisin ones are (were) my favorite. (uuurp...)

I'd post an update, but I'd rather not try and quantify my results after this vacation. :lol: I'll get back on track next week.

navin

Post by navin » Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:14 pm

Well, I really am back on track. How about that? Weight now is 176, which is what I was before I went on vacation. The weather has been quite pleasant this week, so I biked to work 4 days this week (the other day was hockey day.)

Now, it's time to get a few more good weeks under my belt before the holidays. :shock: :)

navin

Post by navin » Sat Nov 12, 2005 2:16 pm

Well, stayed about the same this week, maybe a slight loss (just under 176.) Not too bad of a week.. I was able to resist the barrage of leftover Halloween candy at work by taking a little bit home and saving it until just a few minutes ago. 8)

Better start running agian... another 5K is coming up Thanksgiving morning. Woohoo!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Nov 12, 2005 3:25 pm

Hi Nathan! LOL....
We ate candy *last night*... Ah, the call of the cute little candies was strong! LOL..
I was definitely experiencing a serious sugar high, as sweets aren't usually my thing...
I can see how sugar could be considered "drug like" and addictive, as both of us were eating one after another..
I almost sensed my body shaking from the sugar jitters!!! LOL...
Funny...

Break a leg on the run!
Ha ha..
Enjoy your weekend..
P&L,
8) Deb

navin

Post by navin » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:04 pm

Well, this week wasn't bad at all. Ended up at 175. I've certainly been losing more slowly this last year than I did the first year, but still losing, so I won't complain. :)

Next week will be interesting... in addition to Thanksgiving, a few co-workers got promoted last week and might bring in doughnuts. Augh! Good thing there's a 5K race on Thanksgiving morning.

navin

Post by navin » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:58 pm

Haven't posted here in a while... anyway, at the end of this week, I'm at 175 (maybe a little closer to 174). This is a major accomplishment... although Thanksgiving weekend itself was decent for me (the 5K and some hiking helped offset the mass quantities of food on Thursday), the following weeks were awful. I ate too many doughnuts (a few people got promoted, so there were doughnuts aplenty at work) as well as the area pot-luck.... that and the gym was mostly closed for renovations until recently.

But I'm back on track, and hope to finish up the rest of the year sticking to it better. And I praise God that he made Christmas this year on a day that was already an S-day. :)

On an unrelated note, if you ever work with fiberglass insulation, make sure you wear a mask and long-sleeve shirts. That stuff will tear up your skin and your lungs!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:43 pm

Hey Nathan!
You donut fiend you!
Sorry you had some rough weeks there, but you aren't really gaining anything and as you said, you are back on track now!

Wow... why are you using fiberglass insulation without protecting yourself!????

You better take care of yourself or I will kill you!!!!!!!
:twisted:
ps... Yay!!! Not only is Christmas on an S day, it's also, for the first time in my living memory, the first night of Hannukah on the same night!
We all get to party! LOL...

Yay God!
LOL..

:P Love,
Deb

navin

Post by navin » Sat Dec 24, 2005 12:26 am

Well, last week was pretty good. A co-worker dumped a tin of cookies (surplus from a cookie swap) in my office Monday. And throughout the week, I haven't had a SINGLE ONE. I've given most away, though there are still some that await me tomorrow.

The cookie incident seems to have translated to the scale as I'm down to 173. We'll see how much of that stays off over the next week, but Thaknsgiving wasn't too bad, this shouldn't be catastrophic either.

Have a merry Hanukkah and happy Christmas, y'all!

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:54 am

Congratulations Nathan!
Have a happy holiday yourself :D
Love,
Richard and Debbie

navin

Post by navin » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:06 pm

Woohoo, survived the holidays pretty much unscathed. I'm at around 174, which is very close to my lowest. Aside from two small pieces of candy a co-worker brought in from Brazil, last week was pretty good. Sure is nice to be able to go into the office and not be bombarded with a bunch of cookies and stuff like that.

navin

Post by navin » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:42 am

It's been a while since an update here... so much so my topic moved off onto page 2. :shock: Can't be having that, now.

Anyway, like Deb and some others here, I had a "plateau" for a while. But after about a month of staying about the same, I'm finally down, from 174 to 171. We'll see next week it sticks.

It's been getting nicer out... maybe I'll do some hiking or biking this weekend. But in the short term, some scones or cinnamon biscuits will adorn my breakfast plate tomorrow for sure. Hope the rest of y'all have a great couple of S days.

gratefuldeb67

Post by gratefuldeb67 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:13 am

Yay Nathan!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm happy for you buddy!!! :wink:
That's great news!
You are so close to your goal weight now!

Maybe our bodies are finally starting to get out of "fat hoarding" mode and getting tuned into Spring!

Enjoy your scones!!!
That sounds like a nice idea :lol:

Peace and Love,
8) Deb