From here to ......21?

Counting carbs/calories is a drag. Obsessive scale stepping is a recipe for despair. If you want to count something, "days on habit" is a much better metric. Checking off days on a calendar would do just fine, but if you do it here you get accountability and support. Here's how. Start a new topic in this forum called (say) "Your Name Daily Check In." Then every N day post a "reply" to that topic as to whether you stayed on habit. A simple "<font color="green">SUCCESS</font>" or "<font color="red">FAILURE</font>" (or your preferred euphemism if that's too harsh) is sufficient, but obviously you're welcome to write more if you want. On S-days just register that you're taking an S-day. You don't have to do this forever, just until you're confident you've built the habit. Feel free to check in weekly or monthly or sporadically instead of daily. Feel free also to track other habits besides No-s (I'm keeping this forum under No-s because that's what the vast majority are using it for). See also my <a href="/habitcal/">HabitCal</a> tool for another more formal (and perhaps complementary) way to track habits.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Chippie&co.

From here to ......21?

Post by Chippie&co. » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:52 pm

The days since [b]21[/b] have been marked by the intense desire to (ssshhhh) cheat.

And so here I sit, day 6 of round two, chewing gum and writing this update instead of wolfing down the glazed munchkin that was calling my name. Dinner time seems an age away (and we eat early!).

Funny, its easier on the weekend, when we're allowed to have something, to say no. One of those weird 'want what you can't have' things.

Okay, pity party over. Moving right along.... So what happens next? Is there a change in the next round of 21... portion sizes, etc etc, or since the habit seems to be not well developed enough, just repeat the 1st 21 days?

carolejo

Post by carolejo » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:38 pm

I would say just concentrate on getting the basics down. 21 days isn't some magic number after which your habits are totally re-trained, just a long enough time to prove to yourself that you can do it and to have given it a lot of thought. It's definately taken me nearly 8 months to build my habits properly and I still mess up a lot.

I also wouldn't worry about the portion sizes thing. That generally will take care of itself over time, once your body adjusts.

Good luck. Keep going! It's really worth it in the longer term.
C.
CaroleJo

Chippie&co.

From here....

Post by Chippie&co. » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:15 pm

Thanks for the encouragement, Carolejo.

I suppose as much as I don't want to do ' thediets' anymore, deep down inside, I wish someone would say this is exactly how to do it.

I joked with my husband earlier, that I was rereading the NO S homepage, looking for a loophole! :wink:

For the most part, No S has been going okay. There are the days though.... Anyway. the Munchkin attack passed (I'm going to assume that you don't have Dunkin Donuts over there- munchkins are the donut holes, and are for kids- my girls love them and it was a treat today). Ordinarily, I can't stand the stuff (of course), but it represented the greater sugar evil!

We shall overcome! Amandla.. ... sorry a little carried away there....

Anyway, supper's ready!!!! Yay!! :D