Vending Machine

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

emmay

Vending Machine

Post by emmay » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:36 pm

They just installed a junk food vending machine at my work :x
Thank goodness i have No S to defend me! I asked my boss why he allowed it and he said people are going to buy the stuff elsewhere anyway, our social club may as well make some money from it.
I think it is one thing if people decide to take a walk to buy chocolate, chips or soda and a very different matter to have them displayed at work all the time.
The other argument I heard was that people may be working late and need food. What a terrible work culture to promote, work late and eat junk! A recipe for stress and burnout.

clarinetgal

Post by clarinetgal » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:14 am

I'm not big on vending machines, either, for those very reasons.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:13 pm

Were colleagues actually going to other vending machines to buy snacks?

The longer you practice No S, the less it matters what's around you. But it is a shame that others have one more impetus to eat.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

ThomsonsPier

Post by ThomsonsPier » Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:33 pm

There's a vending machine in my office. It prominently displays crisps and chocolate. I don't buy them. If other people do, that's their concern.

Having said that, the thing hardly ever gets used. Most people in my office would rather go and get some decent food (or bring it with them).
ThomsonsPier

It's a trick. Get an axe.

BrightAngel

Post by BrightAngel » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:28 pm

Looks like we have some SPAM here. :roll:
BrightAngel - (Dr. Collins)
See: DietHobby. com

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:35 pm

LOL. They always interrupt a good conversation..

mastermesh

Post by mastermesh » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:52 am

Keep your money at home!

I'm tempted very much by a cafeteria that serves good food at work as well as several vending machines... and they just recently installed an atm machine too...

Something that I've started doing to help myself avoid the temptation is to keep my credit cards and debit cards at home in my old wallet that I kept when I upgraded to the new one. In that other wallet, which I keep in a wall safe if I need access to it, or sometimes in a safe deposit box at my bank when I know I won't need access to it for a few days or weeks, I keep the wallet itself wrapped up with some neon yellow twine wrapped around a blue masking tape pocket I created for the wallet by putting the sticky side out at first and then rewrapping it with sticky side in so that there's no sticky side actually sitting on the wallet itself... There's about 50 feet or so of this twine so it takes me about 5-10 minutes to unwrap the wallet. In those minutes, if I actually do need to get in to the money, I have to think twice about what I'm doing and let my conscience guide me in to any guilty feelings, etc. The neon colors that are about as close to primary as I can get help me with that thinking process... sort of like how red and yellow signs on the road are that color to get your attention...

If the money is not on me, I CAN'T SPEND IT!

Credit Cards and Debit cards exist, in my opinion for the sole purpose of getting you to spend money faster than you did before they existed - back in the days when most people in society were more healthy because there was less urban sprawl and more farms that needed to be tended to.

This also helps me think twice about spending in general, and starting to follow the old rule that "if you can't afford it, you probably shouldn't buy it" - both monetarily and in other ways as well... If you can't afford the extra carbs, don't blow your daily carb budget on junk.

Aim for 45-55 carbs per meal for 3 meals a day if you are a guy or 35-45 if you are gal (might be different for you depending on your size, weight, height, etc. these are just general rules of thumb I read in a diabetic instruction book about a year ago).. far easier to count carbs than to count calories since the numbers are much lower but still have just as much impact on diet and weight loss/gain/etc.

Along with the wallet trick, I'm also trying to force myself to "pay at the pump" at gas stations more. In the past I would have just gone inside and paid there after grabbing a soda and some snacks, etc... bad move to do that.
Last edited by mastermesh on Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

emmay

Post by emmay » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:14 am

All sounds like good advice mastermesh. I can't help but laugh though, at the image of someone struggling for 10 minutes to get their wallet open :)