Cliff Richard's three meals a day

No Snacks, no sweets, no seconds. Except on Days that start with S. Too simple for you? Simple is why it works. Look here for questions, introductions, support, success stories.

Moderators: Soprano, automatedeating

Dale

Cliff Richard's three meals a day

Post by Dale » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:56 am

It sounds like Cliff Richard is doing his own version of No S:
‘I’ve probably gone on every diet there is. Now I don’t starve myself, and I eat three meals a day, but it’s healthy food, so I can have as much as I like without putting weight on. Although I do treat myself to a bit of bad food now and then.’
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... ng-72.html

He's looks in quite good shape at 72!

Too solid flesh

Post by Too solid flesh » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks, Dale, he does look remarkable for his age, and it is interesting to see how he achieves it.
Be kind, for everybody you meet is fighting a hard battle.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:21 pm

Doesn't sound like he was ever really big, but I could be wrong.

Interesting that he seems to say that a 2-drink limit is about right, too.

I don't think that limiting oneself to three meals is enough, as he says. I bet he keeps it basically to a plate, too. Or perhaps when he says "as much as I want," it precludes stuffing himself.

More power to him.

I think if I had that kind of talent, I'd want to keep going, too, even if I didn't have to. In fact, I don't want money so I can do nothing.
Count plates, not calories. 11 years "during"
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
1/12-26.8 3/13-24.9 +/- 8-lb. 3 yrs
9/17 22.8 (flux) 3/18 22.2
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

There is no S better than Vanilla No S (mods now as a senior citizen)

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:07 pm

Just a side rant - nothing against Cliff - but I'm always suspicious of anyone who says they eat "as much as I want." I think that is just a nice way of saying they can control themselves and stop before feeling gluttonous. I doubt anyone of a normal weight ever eats as much as they really want as if they were in a world with no consequences. I am at a normal weight (although struggling with No S) and want to eat an entire bag of chips and an entire bag of Oreos. Do I let myself? No. I would never say that I can eat whatever I want. Otherwise it just sounds like bragging. Others are then going to think that you can eat the entire bag of chips with no consequences and either hate you or try it themselves, which would be disastrous for anyone.

wosnes

Post by wosnes » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:13 pm

leafy_greens wrote:Just a side rant - nothing against Cliff - but I'm always suspicious of anyone who says they eat "as much as I want." I think that is just a nice way of saying they can control themselves and stop before feeling gluttonous. I doubt anyone of a normal weight ever eats as much as they really want as if they were in a world with no consequences. I am at a normal weight (although struggling with No S) and want to eat an entire bag of chips and an entire bag of Oreos. Do I let myself? No. I would never say that I can eat whatever I want. Otherwise it just sounds like bragging. Others are then going to think that you can eat the entire bag of chips with no consequences and either hate you or try it themselves, which would be disastrous for anyone.
I think there are people who don't want to eat more than a handful of chips or a couple of Oreos. It's not even a matter of self control; it just doesn't occur to them to have more than a taste of something. I'm not sure if it's the way they were brought up or if it's some internal mechanism or if they're just satisfied with less or if it's different for each one.

I have a couple of friends like that and my ex-husband was like that. They're the people who when at a party or other event ask for a small serving of whatever. It isn't because they're watching their weight; it's all they want. A small serving satisfies them.
"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"You are what you eat -- so don't be Fast, Easy, Cheap or Fake."

leafy_greens

Post by leafy_greens » Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:33 pm

wosnes wrote:I think there are people who don't want to eat more than a handful of chips or a couple of Oreos. It's not even a matter of self control; it just doesn't occur to them to have more than a taste of something. I'm not sure if it's the way they were brought up or if it's some internal mechanism or if they're just satisfied with less or if it's different for each one.

I have a couple of friends like that and my ex-husband was like that. They're the people who when at a party or other event ask for a small serving of whatever. It isn't because they're watching their weight; it's all they want. A small serving satisfies them.
Absolutely those people exist, but are probably in the minority. These questions of "how much do you eat" would not even be asked of celebrities, repeatedly, in every monthly magazine, unless millions of readers struggled with their own eating and wanted "the secret." This is why I believe that most people instinctively want to eat an entire bag of something rather than one serving.

The magazines give readers what they want, and the readers want to know if this struggle is normal or if celebrities experience it too. But the celebrity just acts like they have no struggle whatsoever, and it frustrates the average person into wondering how they can also have that struggle-free life. So they go on diet after diet and nothing ever works.

I also think a lot of actresses just say they eat what they want, but are secretly starving. Google: DIPE (documented instances of public eating.) It's all a lie. If you're dieting, just say so or say what it is that you eat. Don't act like you're Guy Fieri in a skinny girl's body. It's just illogical.

Dale

Post by Dale » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:14 pm

I used to be one of those people! For years, I really could eat as much as I wanted, and usually stayed the same weight within a couple of pounds. So yes, some people can. I wish I still was one of those people.

I agree that Cliff wasn't ever big. There are some pictures of him when he was young where his face looks a little rounder, but he never seemed to carry any extra weight. But I think he did say in the article that he put on about 10 lbs and has been dieting ever since. (It does make you wonder if he just was meant to be 10lb heavier - he's always looked on the lean side).

He does say that he can have as much as he likes, rather than what he likes. He doesn't say exactly what "healthy" food is, but maybe if it's a lot of veg and so on, he is genuinely having as much as he wants of it at sitting. (But could have eaten a cream cake if one had appeared after dinner!).

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:37 pm

I don't think it said he still diets. He dieted to lose the 10 lbs. and now sticks with three meals. I don't think he considers that dieting. But I may be wrong.

I agree that it's likely vague when people say they eat what they want. You don't really know what it means to them. But some peole can eat a lot without feeling really full and some really dislike feeling very full. That seems true of most thin people I've known.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

Dale

Post by Dale » Wed May 01, 2013 5:38 pm

He'd said that he started dieting after putting on the 10 lb (in 1960!), that he's managed to keep it off and that he's tried every diet going - which I took to mean that he's kept dieting in some form since the 60s. I would stay that he's still dieting now, even if he doesn't consider it that, if he's sticking to three meals and the occasional treat. I just thought it was funny that it was so close to the No S diet!

Oh to be (only) 10 lb overweight!
Last edited by Dale on Thu May 02, 2013 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

oolala53

Post by oolala53 » Wed May 01, 2013 10:54 pm

that is a more accurate reading.
Age 69
BMI Jan/10-30.8
2 yrs flux 6/20 22
1/21-23

minimizer

Post by minimizer » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:00 pm

I followed Cliff for many years. He is a man of amazing self-discipline, not just diet-wise. I admire him--he seems to have an amazing ability to maintain his good habits year after year, and he certainly reaps the benefits.
He is also active and plays tennis quite a lot--at least he used to and probably still does. He is an amazing 72-year-old.
I do remember reading recently that he was following the 'blood-type' diet and eating foods that are beneficial to Type A blood types--that might have been a phase though (one of the many diets he says he's tried)....anyway, he has always been consistent in disciplining himself to not overeat, and staying physically active, and that is surely the secret to his success of staying slim all these years.